• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Kirby killed Nintendo

Ban Puncher

tumblr_m1u0h6gF9y1qh8rq6o1_500.gif

Jubenhimer

Unfortunately my Splatoon thread was locked by a mod that did not like the fact that I have nothing nice to say about Nintendo.

Sorry.

It's one thing to post constructive criticisms. It's another to shit-post made up delusional garbage that has no basis in reality.

Listen up, I'm against a lot some of the decisions Nintendo makes. Where is youtube/netflix on switch? Why did you price DKC:TF on Switch 10 dollars higher than the Wii U version? Why lock Mew to an overpriced cashgrab accessory? NES classic controllers which have wires 2 feet long? Not including an AC adapter with the New 3DS? That stupid ass voice chat app?

However, this thread (and the others) are pure fanboy garbage. "How Kirby Killed Nintendo" get the fuck outta here.

This "assessment" is hilariously awful. About 90% of the "facts" you stated are either very pointed opinions or straight out false.

And I don't even like the Kirby series

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Unfortunately my Splatoon thread was locked by a mod that did not like the fact that I have nothing nice to say about Nintendo.

Sorry.
Come fuck on. You clearly spamming your shitty agenda here. Again if you hate Nintendo that much then play something else instead of reduce yourself to spamming.

Last edited:

jadedm17

Glad they stopped some of your trolling. You should bring your fanboy war to GameFAQs, if you're not already there.
... Yea, I'm sorry, I don't realize you were the OP.... I assumed pro-Splatoon, not against...
I'm sorry I'm not on your side Killey751, and don't get your dislike.

There is no dispute among gaming fans that Nintendo is not what they used to be. Years ago they dominated the industry, but in the years since their popularity and talent has withered away to virtually nothing.

Virtually everyone who has ever played another gaming platform agrees with this assessment. The question at this point is... when did this happen? How did it happen? What franchise, which developer got the ball rolling to put Nintendo in the hole where it is today?

it all began with Kirby.

Kirby was designed as a straightforward, easy to play 2D platformer aimed at younger audiences. As the series went on, not a whole lot improved or changed while Nintendo wasted their time with pathetic spin off releases that no one wanted or asked for.

Sound familiar?

Kirby isn't a popular title to criticize in this way. I imagine that this is because most fans simply overlooked all of the major red flags with the series and its creators. It was the first major Nintendo IP to not evolve in any meaningful capacity with every release, setting the modern standard for how Mario Kart and Splatoon are treated. Kirby is almost a thirty year old franchise. To this day it has NEVER received a proper 3D release. Nintendo has failed to evolve the formula in an interesting, creative way the way they did with their truly great titles. Metroid Prime, Smash, OOT, and Super Mario Bros.

Following Iwata's ascension into presidency, other Nintendo franchises began to become infected by the Kirby cancer. Every game became overtly colorful and bright. Titles like Sin and Punishment, Perfect Dark, Eternal Darkness, and Project H.A.M.M.E.R were shoved to the side in favor of derivative lazy releases like Wii Music and ExciteTruck. Paper Mario went from being this surprisingly dark and mature series to a scrapbook simulator for brain dead children. Metroid Prime went over a DECADE with no true follow up.

Meanwhile Mario Party got regular releases, despite the original developers being bought out by Konami. Donkey Kong Country was rebooted. Custom and Chibi Robo got a billion sequels that no one cared about. And Kirby continued to get new releases... During Iwata's presidency we got one almost every year, none of which good in any way, shape, or form.

Modern Nintendo believes that every game needs to be 2D. They refuse to evolve the formula of titles like Yoshi or DKC while they milk Mario and Zelda for all of its worth. Modern Nintendo refuses to allow western studios to tackle dark or mature subjects, instead forcing them to conform to what Nintendo thinks all games should be like.

I suspect that Metroid Prime 4 will be far more similar in style and tone to Federation Force than the original Metroid Prime. Nothing Nintendo has done with Kirby or any of its other franchises have really reassured me that this company can be trusted.

You're weird.

Codes 208

Sorry.
Ah yes. Unfortunate.

Totally had nothing to do with the fact you were called out for making several anti-nintendo threads (including this one) for the sake of just rehashing your dislike for the company.

iconmaster

Banned
The Kirby series goes back to 1992 and Iwata became president in 2002 so… I’m not sure what “Nintendo” we’re talking about here.

Nintendo’s “casual period” is easily explained by the success of the Wii with non-gamer audiences, but that eventually backfired and the company learned its lesson.

The argument would have held a bit more water maybe six years ago.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Sorry.

huh? That really isn't the issue, the issue is you are stating something like Splatoon failing after the series moved 8 million...it just makes no sense and you are letting your bias of the company control a thread that factually makes no sense. If you think its a BAD game, sure thread away, but failed? Even this whole "kirby killed nintendo" thing makes no sense and I agree about Nintendo having this family friendly concept, but you have very little to really say KIRBY the IP caused this. So the hate isn't the reason, the questionable thread is the reason behind them locking it. It just makes very little sense.

Mario and Zelda are older then Kirby....
Kirby is made by Nintendo, thus NINTENDO would be more so to question about its "family friendly" art direction vs Kirby itself
and Splatoon is factually successful in terms of sales, thus a thread saying otherwise makes no sense.

EDMIX

It's one thing to post constructive criticisms. It's another to shit-post made up delusional garbage that has no basis in reality.

Exactly. I agree with many of the points in the thread and STILL think it has no real basis as it seems they can't accept that not liking Splatoon doesn't mean it failed, Kirby being family friendly has no real factual basis as THAT is the thing that made Nintendo have more games like that when....Nintendo already had games like that.

So someone can hate Splatoon, fair, disregarding sales isn't.
Someone can think Nintendo is family friendly and casual....fair lots point to that, but saying KIRBY IS THE REASON WITH ZERO EVIDENCE isn't.

Andyliini

fz7bK9d.jpg

Also, while Nintendo does own the copyright for the franchise, they didn't actually make Kirby. HAL did.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Nintendo is a very poorly run company that has made a lot of poor decisions. It would be VERY difficult to cover them all in a single thread.
So poorly run that they had the fastest selling console in U.S. history and made a $1.6 billion dollar profit last fiscal year.

Keep trying numbnuts.

KingT731

Why are Nintendo fans so defensive? You can't even give a valid critique of the company...not saying I agree with the OP completely though.

baphomet

Why are Nintendo fans so defensive? You can't even give a valid critique of the company...not saying I agree with the OP completely though.

You're confusing a valid critique with the completely fabricated garbage in all of ops threads. There's tons of things they can be critiqued on, but that's not what this is.

KingT731

You're confusing a valid critique with the completely fabricated garbage in all of ops threads. There's tons of things they can be critiqued on, but that's not what this is.
I don't agree with them on most of it. But I've seen valid critiques in this thread and have watched people jump into defense mode like it's Yu-Gi-Oh.

Vawn

Banned

People aren't offended by Killers threads because its disrespectful to Nintendo. We're upset because they're trolling spam meant to get a reaction rather express a valid criticism.

Griffon

People who were Nintendo fans during the N64 era (and at the very start of Gamecube (before Iwata took over)) would understand a lot better where OP comes from.

It's been quite a while tho, even Iwata himself is dead now. It's about time to let go OP. Get into PC gaming, you'll be a lot happier.

ar0s

Has anyone actually gone through just how many creative and one off stylistically Kirby games there are?

FFS Kirby's Dream Land to Kirby's Adventure was a HUGE development in the mechanics and that was only game 1 to game no 2. Kirby's Dream Land 2 then added animal friends. Kirby's Superstar (Fun Pak) added 2p co-op with the 2nd player controlling a turned enemy.

Outside of the main series Kirby has consistently been one of Nintendo's most creative properties.

If someone claimed "The OP is a dribbling mong." it would have more legitimacy than this topic and I would never personally insult another user. :messenger_halo:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Can you people please stop bumping this thread? OP is clearly a troll and you are just giving him the attention he craves.

The chance of any productive discussion happening here is 0%. Just fucking drop it.

Codes 208

Read his post history, the threads thats hes made and youll see why so many of us are triggered. It got to the point where he was ban warned by a mod for his frequent anti-nintendo posts.

Bringing up a legitimate argument is never an issue because it leads.(or SHOULD) to constructive conversations, like discussing the pros and cons of nintendo online. Or nintendo's backwards ass decision of porting nsmb wii u rather than a good game like sm3dw or mario maker.

But this isnt constructive, this is bait.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I'm pretty sure Nintendo AP(After Pokemon) is when things started going seriously downhill... Kirby may have been an early sign but that was just one fairly small franchise...

Vawn

Banned
I'm pretty sure Nintendo AP(After Pokemon) is when things started going seriously downhill... Kirby may have been an early sign but that was just one fairly small franchise...

You got the wrong P. Its after PlayStation that Nintendo no longer owned the entire gaming landscape.

Nintendo burnt so many bridges at that time. Not only what they did to Sony, but what they did to huge publishers who once were happy to act like Nintendo was the only choice when deciding where to release their games.

But, while Nintendo is no longer synonymous with "video games", they're far from dead or irrelevant. Switch is incredibly hot and is closer to PS4 in popularity than it is to Xbox One.

EDMIX

People aren't offended by Killers threads because its disrespectful to Nintendo. We're upset because they're trolling spam meant to get a reaction rather express a valid criticism.

Agreed, I dislike Nintendo too, but these post don't even have any real criticism. If they had something valid, a solid base to talk about then ok, I'm on board as I disagree with LOTS the publisher does, but this whole "Kirby killed Nintendo" or "Splatoon failed" make zero sense.

Nintendo doesn't make much new IP, we can talk about that.
Nintendo makes kiddy games....sure we can talk about that.

But saying Splatoon FAILED or KIRBY is the reason behind the kiddy games makes no sense.

BANGS

Banned
You got the wrong P. Its after PlayStation that Nintendo no longer owned the entire gaming landscape.

Nintendo burnt so many bridges at that time. Not only what they did to Sony, but what they did to huge publishers who once were happy to act like Nintendo was the only choice when deciding where to release their games.

But, while Nintendo is no longer synonymous with "video games", they're far from dead or irrelevant. Switch is incredibly hot and is closer to PS4 in popularity than it is to Xbox One.
I disagree with this whole post. Nintendo was still making great games after Playstation and started falling off after Pokemon. Nintendo hadn't owned the entire gaming landscape for awhile before Playstation either thanks to SEGA. The quality of Nintendo products didn't start declining until the turn of the century...

JimboJones

It's true for most developers to go through periods of ups and downs. Sony products started falling in quality after the last of us, they haven't been the same since then and got pretty lazy this gen.

Z..

Should be pretty obvious by now this has to be a troll account. I admire the dedication but it goes nowhere and, worse still, it's just not funny.

RScrewed

Skimming through this thread...

- Why don't you just play what you like?
- whatswrongwithyou.gif
- Didn't you just make this thread?
- I miss when moderators moderated
- Fanboy trolling allowed now?
- Ask for a pay raise
- Stop feeding the troll, 0% chance of quality discussion in this thread
- lol, kirbysuckingkiller751.jpg
- lol, laterain identified

Eh, we don't need mods. I'm proud to be part of this community. Stay woke.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

I'm all for healthy criticism of Nintendo, but I feel your execution is off the mark here, OP. I think there are deeper, underlying reasons Nintendo gets the flack it does, and this encompasses a lot of reasons that could probably all run the course of their own respective thread. I think the biggest reason that Nintendo does Nintendo is that it's a very distinctly Japanese company, run like a Japanese company, by a very core group of Japanese business suits that have their own cultural context and considerations to bring into the equation when they choose to design and release a product. A Japanese-based business does not operate like a lot of large US-based corporations. They have an entirely different vetting process that can be overturned by literally anyone along the chain, hence it takes a long time for Nintendo to adapt to a fast-paced, high-demand market. It makes sense when you think about it, why they are so focused on their business, rather than the rat race between the other big business gaming companies.

I understand Nintendo is not your cup of tea, OP. It's not mine, either. But, also realize it holds a very special niche place in the gaming business sphere that holds tremendous influence on the hobby. Nintendo is not for you or me, and that's fine. It doesn't have to be. Respect those who do enjoy it, and keep the healthy criticism coming if you can find solid reasoning to make an argument.

Last edited:

Iaterain

I have nothing nice to say about Nintendo.
Just like your friend Iaterain Iaterain .

It isn't true. I love to play Mario Party with my sister, Metroid is my most favourite franchise and I have almost every Mario game in my collection.
Unlike Killer751 I have something nice to say about Nintendo:
Nintendo has the most brand-protective fanbase ever, that would cyber-bully, stalk and report anyone who threatens their beloved brand until they get banned.

Last edited:

Wonkytonk

What the hell is this?! Thankfully the imbecile has now been banned. Never read such a load of old rubbish in my life.

baphomet

Nintendo has the most brand-protective fanbase ever, that would cyber-bully, stalk and report anyone who threatens their beloved brand until they get banned.

Nah, I don't particularly like Nintendo, but I'll do my part to get garbage trolls like Killer751 banned no matter what they're trolling about.

PocoJoe

Banned
It isn't true. I love to play Mario Party with my sister, Metroid is my most favourite franchise and I have almost every Mario game in my collection.

Yeah it is true. Kind of similar like apple fanbase.

Like before switch were officially announced(specs), so many fanboys were screaming how switch will certainly have custom SoC from nvidia with almost xbox one performance.

And so many smarter & people with knowledge of tech said, that it will propably be just a stock Tegra X1.

But no, they didnt believe it, they rather believed one attention whoring twitter "girl" or whatever, while most of "her" leaks were pure lies.

Same with most nintendo stuff, if someone wont agree that nintendo thing X is perfect = rage&offensive mode.

And then pure lies, like zelda/mario/whatever would have better graphics like games like witcher 3/GoW etc. One can like artstyle more, but it is pure lie to call nintendo games being anywhere near of ps4/xbox AAA-games in pure graphical level.

Switch is nice handheld with tv-out, performance is nothing special vs smartphones and ergonomy is kind of bad(for many, not for all). This is mostly true and nothing to be shamed of, but still some cant accept it and be too defencive.

And then of course there are "nintendo points" aka identical game on nintendo console would propaply get higher points than on other systems, because of fanbase that is blind for flaws and reviewers that fear for backlash if they say something bad about mario/zelda etc

I like my switch, but it is no were near perfect, just like other consoles/handhelds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Man things just haven't been the same for you ever since your "Like this post" buddy got banned. Don't worry he's coming back so there's no need to be upset. It's not stalking when you see their shitposting everywhere and come to expect more of the same from them so forgive me if I thought you were no better. Though nice of you to assume the "mean old bully Nintendo fanbase" got him banned when he has done that himself. Also what did you think would happen? You kick a bee hive and expect them to not sting and attack? Like they are gonna take your shit and not do anything about it? Everyone got sick of his shit not just Nintendo fans and threads like his don't help this place at all. Is it so much to ask for peaceful non console war conversation here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Esteban5XG

Neo Member
I do believe Nintendo will be the first one option for gamers in the next five years. And that will be because of Swicht. It has just changed everything. Can't wait to see PlayStation 5 and how they fight against Nintendo.

Top Bottom