• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Kirby killed Nintendo

Vawn

Banned
I do believe Nintendo will be the first one option for gamers in the next five years. And that will be because of Swicht. It has just changed everything. Can't wait to see PlayStation 5 and how they fight against Nintendo.

The PS4 is still outselling Switch this late in its lifecycle, yet you don't think PS5 will be able to compete with Switch?

Esteban5XG

Neo Member
The PS4 is still outselling Switch this late in its lifecycle, yet you don't think PS5 will be able to compete with Switch?

I need to see something new in PS5, something extraordinary. I think next 5 years are critic for PS5 in order to innovate themselves as much as people want to.

RScrewed

It isn't true. I love to play Mario Party with my sister, Metroid is my most favourite franchise and I have almost every Mario game in my collection.
Unlike Killer751 I have something nice to say about Nintendo:
Nintendo has the most brand-protective fanbase ever, that would cyber-bully, stalk and report anyone who threatens their beloved brand until they get banned.

lol you can't even burn right. That's something nice about Nintendo's fanbase, but not Nintendo.

Blam

What is this thread really? Kirby gets great sales on Nintendo platforms, I don't think under any circumstance Nintendo would be considered killed.

Vawn

Banned
I need to see something new in PS5, something extraordinary. I think next 5 years are critic for PS5 in order to innovate themselves as much as people want to.

That's fine for you personally, but you are claiming Switch is going to kill off PlayStation and Xbox in the next 5 years which is just absurd.

Switch isn't even coming close to outselling PS4, which is technically part of the generation BEFORE Switch still. PS5 and NeXtBox will be fine.

Rajack

What is this thread really? Kirby gets great sales on Nintendo platforms, I don't think under any circumstance Nintendo would be considered killed.
This thread is really just one person's illogical ax to grind with Nintendo, a company that makes highly enjoyable games that he can't seem to stomach existing for some unknown reason.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's fine for you personally, but you are claiming Switch is going to kill off PlayStation and Xbox in the next 5 years which is just absurd.

Switch isn't even coming close to outselling PS4, which is technically part of the generation BEFORE Switch still. PS5 and NeXtBox will be fine.
Yeah, I think we have to "exclude" Nintendo, or at least redefine our meaning of "generation". Switch is technically the first 9th-gen platform. If/when the next iteration of Xbox and Playstation launch (which both companies assure will happen), the Switch will have already built up a library of 1,500+ game titles (it's already at 1000+). And a few years after that, Switch will be 6-7 years old and Nintendo will launch their next system halfway through the life of the PS5/X2.

It's actually quite a smart move. We know that Nintendo has been trying to sidestep the market since the Wii. Now they've finally pulled it off. Wii U and its fans were the human sacrifice that needed to happen.

Esteban5XG

Neo Member

Well, I'm not talking about what each every company did in the past, even the sales. I'm just thinking about how I see companies in the future, and my believe is that Nintendo will be really really stronge and so I can't wait to see what PlayStation is gonna do.

KingT731

Yeah, I think we have to "exclude" Nintendo, or at least redefine our meaning of "generation". Switch is technically the first 9th-gen platform. If/when the next iteration of Xbox and Playstation launch (which both companies assure will happen), the Switch will have already built up a library of 1,500+ game titles (it's already at 1000+). And a few years after that, Switch will be 6-7 years old and Nintendo will launch their next system halfway through the life of the PS5/X2.

This would only benefit Nintendo IF the PS5 and NextBox do not have BC (Highly doubt it). Especially when Nintendo already isn't getting a lot of the bigger games and would be at an even larger disadvantage in hardware power.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This would only benefit Nintendo IF the PS5 and NextBox do not have BC (Highly doubt it). Especially when Nintendo already isn't getting a lot of the bigger games and would be at an even larger disadvantage in hardware power.
Hardware disadvantage doesn't mean much if you aren't launching at the same time as your competitors. It allows you to sidestep (like they've done with the Switch) instead of directly competing. Do you think Switch being half the power (roughly speaking; maybe it's less, maybe it's more) of the PS4 and X1 has affected sales? Do you think the Switch will suddenly stop selling once PS5 and X2 come out?

KingT731

Hardware disadvantage doesn't mean much if you aren't launching at the same time as your competitors. It allows you to sidestep (like they've done with the Switch) instead of directly competing. Do you think Switch being half the power (roughly speaking; maybe it's less, maybe it's more) of the PS4 and X1 has affected sales? Do you think the Switch will suddenly stop selling once PS5 and X2 come out?

Nintendo has been sidestepping for a while with and without success. All they did this time around was consolidate their home(varying degrees of success with a recent disaster) and handheld(a space they've always done well in)systems into 1. I'm not saying nobody is going to buy a switch because, let's face it, as long as Nintedo's big 1st party games are coming they will enjoy success. What I was arguing was the perceived advantage of the Switch having an established library which only is advantage if Sony and MS opt out of BC.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nintendo has been sidestepping for a while with and without success. All they did this time around was consolidate their home(varying degrees of success with a recent disaster) and handheld(a space they've always done well in)systems into 1. I'm not saying nobody is going to buy a switch because, let's face it, as long as Nintedo's big 1st party games are coming they will enjoy success. What I was arguing was the perceived advantage of the Switch having an established library which only is advantage if Sony and MS opt out of BC.
Nintendo's current library has (nearly) reached the same size as the 3DS's in less than 2 years whereas 3DS has been out for 7, so it's also a matter of pace not merely total library size.

That said, from a market perspective we know that BC doesn't mean much to the majority of consumers. I'm not dismissing it as an important feature. It's just not a feature that significantly influences the market's choice of console. You're correct that the total library size may be overshadowed if X2 and/or PS5 have BC, but will that matter to the market? I'm betting it won't, but it'll be interesting to see if the proliferation of digital storefronts will change that.

Vawn

Banned
Well, I'm not talking about what each every company did in the past, even the sales. I'm just thinking about how I see companies in the future, and my believe is that Nintendo will be really really stronge and so I can't wait to see what PlayStation is gonna do.

Lol ok man. You're right. Sony is doomed.

KingT731

Nintendo's current library has (nearly) reached the same size as the 3DS's in less than 2 years whereas 3DS has been out for 7, so it's also a matter of pace not merely total library size.
That is true currently 1223(Switch)1308(3DS) and 1817(PS4) but we could also get into quality of Library as there's a ton of shovelware on these systems....Just for numbers sake compared to some other consoles PS2 was around 2500, Gamcube 658, X-Box 799, Wii 1528

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That is true currently 1223(Switch)1308(3DS) and 1817(PS4) but we could also get into quality of Library as there's a ton of shovelware on these systems....Just for numbers sake compared to some other consoles PS2 was around 2500, Gamcube 658, X-Box 799, Wii 1528
Right, I'm not trying to prop up the number as a measure of quality.

But 1200 games in fewer than 2 years is nothing to sneeze at. I doubt that momentum will slow down any time soon. More games = more rolls of the dice (i.e. more potential "hidden gems") and this rule has held true since the NES.

KingT731

Right, I'm not trying to prop up the number as a measure of quality.

But 1200 games in fewer than 2 years is nothing to sneeze at. I doubt that momentum will slow down any time soon. More games = more rolls of the dice (i.e. more potential "hidden gems") and this rule has held true since the NES.
There's always a chance for a gem but when you're in the 1000+ range you know the pickings are slim. For example on the Switch store there might be 70 games that are worth purchasing.

Top Bottom