• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long after launch do you think Neo/Scorpio will receive exclusive titles?

It's not a matter of if but when and I know this is a big concern and issue for many and for some it's a blessing.

There has to be a time this happens but when do you feel?

Will it be treated like launch of a new console and have a few day one or will it be a year or two later as games are being strained and made with sacrifices on the old box?

There will be excuses, we are just doing so much that can't be done on the old hardware and that is fine. I honestly don't mind the situation my self but I know they are just moving on with whatever game or developer that says that.

Personally I think the first game will be there atleast in the first year mark and they will do it gradually first with some vr titles that are exclusive to the new boxes until they estuary move on we completely which I feel would. Even about three years from now with games becoming less and less on the ps4.

Also, I feel ms will do this more and earlier than Sony in thier cycle.

It's never a matter of of its inevitable.

So, vr will have it first to ease the transition til they make way to typical AAA games.

I know you say it's inevitable, but I really don't think it's going to happen. Maybe on Scorpio, since the XB1 has a much smaller user base and the power increase is so much more substantial, but I really don't think the PS4K is going to do anything to exclude the PS4 userbase.

Bessy67

If they're really moving to an iterative model then they had better never have exclusive games for Neo/Scorpio that aren't playable on PS4/Xbox One. Once they get to the next iteration past Neo/Scorpio then there will be games that won't work on the PS4/One but if they really want this iterative approach to work consoles that are a "generation" apart when the generations are only 2-4 years should all be capable of playing the same games.

Lionheart

I don't think there'll ever be PS4 Neo exclusive titles, but when PS5 or another PS4 Neo folowup launches, then the minimum required baseline will shift to PS4 Neo and those games will be allowed to work on only PS4 Neo and its followup.

Hopefully never.
I mean, even Nintendo, a company known for screwing over their customers without remorse, didn't release exclusives on the improved 3ds.
(XB is not a 100% exclusive)
There is no reason to believe sony will pull this shit on us.

Hasney

2 years. Only because the new model comes out and the Neo will be minimum spec.

Hopefully never.
I mean, even Nintendo, a company known for screwing over their customers without remorse, didn't release exclusives on the improved 3ds.

xenoblade_chronicles_3d_box_art.png

Alx

VR would be probably Scorpio-exclusive (geez, that name is so corny), so day 1.
Neo seems to have strict specifications against exclusives, so maybe never, or at least not until PS4.0 is outdated.

its possible it wont ever get an exclusive. Support for Neo might end when devs stop supporting the PS4.

The PS3 and 360 are still being supported and they are 10 years old, the PS4 isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

Eventually the regular PS4 and Xbone will get phased out but I don't think it'll happen quickly. I'd say 3-4 years after the new consoles get released.

clem84

Gold Member
I don't think there'll ever be PS4 Neo exclusive titles, but when PS5 or another PS4 Neo folowup launches, then the minimum required baseline will shift to PS4 Neo and those games will be allowed to work on only PS4 Neo and its followup.

I could see something like this happening. Depending on how often those iterations are being released, say every 2-3 years, somebody buying a console could have 5-6 years worth of games compatible with his system. I'd be ok with that.

No exclusive Neo titles, I expect a PS5 to come along in 2019 that will play all PS4(K) games and also PS5 exclusives.

I think MS will play it differently with exclusive Scorpio games along with VR titles.

Sony have already stated that the Neo won't have exclusive games.

That could change i guess, but at the moment as things stand, it won't.

Mabufu

Banned
This. NEO is an update, not a new platform, so no exclusives for NEO.

Scorpio seems more like a new generation that will have its own games.

Hasney

Am I missing something here? He says XB doesn't count because it's on the Wii and Wii U and you posted a picture of XB?

I didn't realise XB was Xenoblade because it would seem ridiculous to exclude it because you can use it on a home console.. At least we know Scorpio will never have exclusives by that logic since they'll all be available on PC.

ps3ud0

When the next Neo/Scorpio are launched and stipulated support for PS4/XO is no longer required

Isnt that the point of iterative consoles? I swear it feels like the wild west of gaming...

ps3ud0 8)

amdb00mer

It's not a matter of if but when and I know this is a big concern and issue for many and for some it's a blessing.

There has to be a time this happens but when do you feel?

Will it be treated like launch of a new console and have a few day one or will it be a year or two later as games are being strained and made with sacrifices on the old box?

There will be excuses, we are just doing so much that can't be done on the old hardware and that is fine. I honestly don't mind the situation my self but I know they are just moving on with whatever game or developer that says that.

Personally I think the first game will be there atleast in the first year mark and they will do it gradually first with some vr titles that are exclusive to the new boxes until they estuary move on we completely which I feel would. Even about three years from now with games becoming less and less on the ps4.

Also, I feel ms will do this more and earlier than Sony in thier cycle.

It's never a matter of of its inevitable.

So, vr will have it first to ease the transition til they make way to typical AAA games.

This won't happen at all with the Scorpio, but may happen with the Neo. MS will have developers use the UWP which will scale the games accordingly, so there will be no need for exclusives. The Neo however has already been reported to have some devs upset because of the way Sony is handling it they will need to add extra resources to take advantage of the extra horsepower, otherwise they would just make a PS4 game and it would run the same on both without any benefits of the extra power. Think of it this way, with UWP a dev can say game X will run with 'ultra' settings at 1080p on Scorpio, but when played on 'durango' it will run with 'mediium' settings at 900p or with a dynamic resolution (kind of like Quantum Break does now).

FStubbs

I don't think the danger for PS4.0/Xbox1.0 users is Neo/Scorpio exclusives. The danger is that devs, especially Western AAA devs, will quickly move to the 4-6 TFlops as the lead platforms, gimping the 4.0/1.0 versions, even though those versions will technically exist.

NoKisum

I wouldn't be surprised if every major title shown at this E3's Sony/MS conferences are Neo/Scorpio exclusives.

Hell, I'm still surprised FFXV is not a Neo exclusive considering Square convince fans to buy a PS3 with no reward.

I know you say it's inevitable, but I really don't think it's going to happen. Maybe on Scorpio, since the XB1 has a much smaller user base and the power increase is so much more substantial, but I really don't think the PS4K is going to do anything to exclude the PS4 userbase.
This has never been how they work though.

They don't really want to make games for both. You have to consiswe the fact that they want a high percentage of players to upgrade and get away from the old boxes if possible.

In one way they want to support the old boxes to make sales but the main goal imo is for you to upgrade.

So this is why I feel it will happen. It does have to happen, it's like games staying in Ps3 forever and thua this is why its mostly inevitable.

They definitely want to act like things are the situation you are saying but I wouldn't buy that for anything. It's a flat pr move imo

They will be fine for third party games to work on both and I see it as a bit of a Vita situation where they still release tons of smaller less intensive games on the base ps4 for a long time. Now that is likely and those games would typically be no different anywhere. Oli oli, Miami etc

LewieP

Probably not until the next iteration is out.

Edit: There will, however, be games that are unplayable or borderline unplayable on the old consoles, but run fine on the upgraded versions.

Fitts

As much as I see this prospect as a glaring negative I'm kind of hoping it happens sooner than later. I really don't want to have to struggle through some "must have" game that barely runs on the vanilla systems and the poor value proposition that comes with forced iterative hardware is the perfect excuse for opting out of console purchases forever.

Portugeezer

Hopefully never.
New 3DS has a handful of exclusives. But rumours about Neo say there won't be any.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I'm hoping this is the case. I don't want to see OG PS4 owners get screwed but I also don't want OG PS4 to hold back future games.

It would make a lot of sense to require all games to support at least the current model and the prior model if they do go to an iterative model.

odhiex

Most likely... Never.

By the time the PS4 Neo-only or Xbox Scorpio-only titles released, they will also work on the next consoles.

PS4 is sitting at 40 million units sold. There will be no Neo exclusive games.
I think 0 is a very sad bet. I wouldn't be too surprised to see day one vr/Neo exclusive but I think that all depends on how things go and are received.

I think the better or how bad Neo sales will also determine how fast it will get an exclusive.

Unless they already decided to do it which is what I'm mostly betting on. So, I stick with one year after release

Audioboxer

Neo exclusive VR, possibly eventually, but I can live with that. Gotta be realistic about some types of games and the power required for VR.

I don't know if any games on 360 ever required the hdd but ms did say they would never require it. But it was definitely needed in many ways.

How many games were actually required that were also on disc?

Things change and companies definitely go back on thier word or flat out lie to save face.

I don't take any stock to Sony saying it won't happen but not sure why others do

Leezard

I don't know if any games on 360 ever required the hdd but ms did say they would never require it. But it was definitely needed in many ways.

Didn't games like FFXI require hdd?

What happened later during the gen, many games had necessary installations on the PS3 at least. Were they not necessary on the 360?

I don't think Neo will get any.

Scorpio seems like such a big leap over the XB1 that I'd be surprised if it doesn't get some exclusives eventually.

timlot

Banned
Scorpio will be able to play PC version of XB1 games. So many things pointed that to be the case. MS mandating first party PC and XB1 game releases. MS bringing XBox UI to PC. Oculus VR integration. MS wanting to making this big UWP push for their store. All things pointing to Scorpio being a XB1/Xb360 backwards capability machine with the ability to play PC version of games.

daveo42

Banned
I think they'll both move away from backwards compatibility as the older systems will hold back more advanced games. It won't happen at first, but it will eventually shift away.

mclem

Things change and companies definitely go back on thier word or flat out lie to save face.

I don't take any stock to Sony saying it won't happen but not sure why others do

The particular vector I'm most worried about is games being de facto exclusive: they run on baseline PS4, but not acceptably. That's in-keeping with the letter of Sony's promise without really sticking to the spirit of it.

If we are moving to an iterative development of consoles, then surely there will come a time when say the PS4 will be phased out and the newer systems will have games developed for them.

I think if they are looking to emulate the mobile market, then support for each console will drop as the new iterative ones are released.

So to say they will not get exclusive games is naïve, not only because they will need selling points and games to showcase its power but also because it would greatly inhibit technological progression if you're handicapped by the previous console. Kind of like when games release cross-gen and they never reach their full potential.

Top Bottom