• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long do you use on massive games like Horizon and Elden Ring

Bragr

Banned
Playing games these days is like a project.

Horizon is a 80-100 hour game with all the side content, Elden Ring I assume is around 30-50 hours to clear most of the bosses, maybe more, and GT7 is likely another 50-70 hours to play through a good chunk of the career.

It dawns on me that I'm not gonna get through all of this until something like mid-April.

I feel like I am trying to swallow 3 behemoths, and its taking forever. Its a spectacular month, brilliant games, but god damn it's a lot to eat!

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
ill play Elden Ring for at least the next two years long after I've beat it. Im in no hurry

SantaC

Horizon is a 80-100 hour game with all the side content, Elden Ring I assume is around 30-50 hours to clear most of the bosses, maybe more, and GT7 is likely another 50-70 hours to play through a good chunk of the career.

It dawns on me that I'm not gonna get through all of this until something like mid-April.

I feel like I am trying to swallow 3 behemoths, and its taking forever. Its a spectacular month, brilliant games, but god damn it's a lot to eat!
Elden Ring is longer than that

Nankatsu

Gold Member
It's why I hate open world games.

All filler, no meat.

Give me God Of War instead - a lean 20-30 hour experience without many collectibles and random shit.
You're not entirely wrong here.

But I also like my massive open world / RPG games.

You just gotta learn to switch between genres I guess.

I can't for the love of god tackle two RPG's in a row.

Last edited:
I just play until I stop having fun. I'm not a completionist anymore - I don't have the time and energy for that. I'm completely fine walking away from a game and not looking back, or picking it up again someday. A lot of games overstay their welcome, and I've played so many games at this point in my life I feel like nothing's new.

I grew up during the gaming era where each generation saw massive leaps in technology and new game mechanics. I've played the predecessors of basically every game that comes out today, 1000 times over. Nothing new comes out now, it's just the same shit with a nicer coat of paint. I thought by now we'd have incredible A.I. systems, fully destructible/interactive environments, NPCs that respond to my actual voice, totally custom and branching storylines, or shit I couldn't even imagine.......

But we have none of that. Just the same, tired mechanics and systems now available in 4k. I play a lot of games for like 10 minutes and it's like "Oh, this is just game A + game B I played 10 years ago". Game developers have no incentive to innovate because the same Assassin's Creed, the same Call of Duty, the same Madden can crush everything in sales/profits. When a "new" game achieves success, it gets cloned to death - i.e. battle royale.

It's not that I don't enjoy gaming anymore, it's just that you say "HZD is an 80-100 hour game".......but for me, it's like the 1000th hour of DLC for the same game I've been playing for years. I already enjoyed the best parts of that game, years ago - the updates are notable, but not compelling.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Horizon is a 80-100 hour game with all the side content, Elden Ring I assume is around 30-50 hours to clear most of the bosses

I will eat my left testicle if Horizon 2 takes me 80+ hours to platinum.

For what it's worth I'm not playing it, I'm playing Elden Ring and after 14.5 hours I've barely made a dent, but I'm thriving in it. I would bet you can mainline it in well under 30 if you're a souls vet.

kingfey

Banned
That is a rookie numbers.
Devour Ice Cream GIF

Try gamepass+elden ring+hfw+botw+fifa22.

That is me.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I only play one at a time. I read about some things I don't understand about the game I'm playing, maybe even some lore behind it like in GoW.

Currently playing HFW and will focus on that only foe a while. Did brush up on the HZD before and read a guide about strategies, not a walkthrough.

This way a game remains interesting.

Amiga

If a game is great I don't feel the time and don't want it to finish.

100 hours can go by in a flash, even playing moderately they can be done in about a month.

RPS37

That is a rookie numbers.
Devour Ice Cream GIF

Try gamepass+elden ring+hfw+bow+fifa22.

That is me.
Honestly, wtf is BOW?
Guys, sometimes an acronym doesn’t work.

edit: and the correct acronym for breath of the wild is botw

Last edited:

Esca

I bought horizon, Elden ring, and gt7.
I'm currently playing and loving horizon currently and I know it's going to take awhile. I want to start er but I can't play to open world games at a time like these so I'm pushing er back to fine with horizon so I get the best from them both. I'll be playing gt7 on the side though.

Then tiny Tina dines out. It's been a very long time since I've been in a situation like this with since many big long games coming out in a relatively short period of time

Good luck to my brothers and sisters who are in the same situation

V4skunk

Banned

I'd wager that Elden Ring is much longer than Horizon.

Yamisan

Horizon is not a 80-100 hour game. The Platinum trophy barely clocks in at 20 hours.

Tg89

It's ridiculous to expect a single player campaign to last anything less than 20 hours in the current climate. Except FPS games (8 hours max).

50+ hour experiences seem to be the norm. So yes 20-30h seems to be considered in the shorter ballpark.
Yeah, it’s unfortunate. Most games aren’t good enough to be that long but need to be otherwise people won’t buy them.

Elden Ring is one of a handful of games that actually justify using a huge open world thankfully.

Spaceman292

Banned

Play it until the get bored you ding dong. No one's putting a gun to your head.

OZ9000

Banned
I think a good example of a game which does it well is God of War. A nice campaign with additional side content for those who want added value. There is a lot to do in that game and it doesn't feel like filler eg Valkyries, Dwarven quests, Muselfeim trials. Nifelheim however is pure shit and a grindfest that nobody has asked for.

Grinding and forced RPG elements suck. Also forcing players to search for random collectibles or crafting is awful.

Top Bottom