• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long until we see Sony "Live"

ManaByte

Gold Member
Mrbob said:
They admitted at providing a LIVE! type service at the E3 conference.

At the SCEA press conference at E3 they stood firm at their current online model. However, they do want to start charging for content downloads like cars in GT4.

belgurdo

Banned
I was always of the assumption that they'd just leave online stuff to individual publishers and if they wanted to release upgrades they'd do so via physical expansion packs, a la Gran Turismo.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ManaByte said:
At the SCEA press conference at E3 they stood firm at their current online model. However, they do want to start charging for content downloads like cars in GT4.

Bullshit that is not what was said. They said that they need to do a better job of bringing the separate online gaming groups together and need to form an online community... and they committed during the speech to implementing that closer knit communityTHIS generation. Whether that actually happens, we'll see.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DarienA said:
Bullshit that is not what was said. They said that they need to do a better job of bringing the separate online gaming groups together and need to form an online community... and they committed during the speech to implementing that closer knit communityTHIS generation. Whether that actually happens, we'll see.

Yep, and there are ways of doing this other then having people pay $50 a year.
It may involve money, but i'm betting its something like a one time registration fee

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarienA said:

I have the conference downloaded. He did say that, but they didn't say anything about going to a "live" style pay service and Kaz was very adamant about how their current free model was working. The only thing they ever mentioned about pay was the content downloads.

DarienA

ManaByte said:
I have the conference downloaded. He did say that, but they didn't say anything about going to a "live" style pay service and Kaz was very adamant about how their current free model was working. The only thing they ever mentioned about pay was the content downloads.

Here's a prime example of a difference in interpretation... and I actually created a thread about this right after the speech.

SOME people here are using the term LIVE type service to describe a more uniformed service, interface, etc..... without mentioning the pay service part.

SOME people here are using the term LIVe type service to describe simply a pay service.

My statements were to the effect that they are looking at implementing a more unified Live type service(but they are not talking about a fee model yet) in that they want the unity of community that Lives' unified messaging options provide.

Gattsu25

Banned
well, if you knew your comment was going to confuse (past thread on same subject, no?) then why leave your comment vague?

Ranger X

Man the answer to this question is so easy. I guess Sony wasn't really prepared and got surprised by Microsoft this gen. Next gen, online gaming and services will be something standard and of course Sony will be ready with a similar plan as their competitors. And yes i guess we will eventually pay. Gaming is a business guys.

DarienA

Gattsu25 said:
well, if you knew your comment was going to confuse (past thread on same subject, no?) then why leave your comment vague?

Because I always like to think the best of people.... (how's that for being vague?)

luxsol

How long has XBox Live been online? Have we already passed that one year mark? If so, was there a drop in subscribers? Just curious...

I doubt we'll see any sort of Live aspect, mostly because an HD would be needed, right? How many who bought the Network Adapter also have FF11? It's definitely shortening the numbers of the installed base. Then take into account if the Sony Live plan has a fee to it? Out of the HD/NA users, how many of those would subscribe?

It's a next generation thing, imo.

Top Bottom