• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many copies will The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword sell?

How many copies will TLoZ: SS sell?

• Total voters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I only really want to get it because I think a game pad set would make the game 1000 x better than when I play through it on wii.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
south park tree fiddy GIF

levyjl1988

Banned
Back in 2011 I had a choice between Skyward Sword and Skyrim. I chose Skyrim and I chose correctly. The reviews for Skyward Sword were abysmal. It was so dumbed down to casuals that hardcore fans kinda left as it felt less mature. Too many recycled assets without creativity.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Back in 2011 I had a choice between Skyward Sword and Skyrim. I chose Skyrim and I chose correctly. The reviews for Skyward Sword were abysmal. It was so dumbed down to casuals that hardcore fans kinda left as it felt less mature. Too many recycled assets without creativity.
Did you actually ever play it?

Skyrim is a lot more dumbed down than Skyward Sword. Both of the games are fun, but I certainly prefer SS by a mile. I'm actually trying to play Skyrim right now and it's a bit of a struggle. I'm predicting now that SS in HD is going to be a lot more impressive.

Smasher89

I see it quite "discounted" or 3ds game launch price over here at a bunch of places, so probably not as many preorders as they were expecting, making me not expect very huge numbers, that said, it could have a botw effect to still sell alot. Im sure im skipping since i can just play it on my wii or wii u whenever i want to.

levyjl1988

Banned
Did you actually ever play it?

Skyrim is a lot more dumbed down than Skyward Sword. Both of the games are fun, but I certainly prefer SS by a mile. I'm actually trying to play Skyrim right now and it's a bit of a struggle. I'm predicting now that SS in HD is going to be a lot more impressive.

Nope, I watched a review and saw the gamedesign flaws and decided it was not for me.
Plus it was in SD vs Skyrim in HD and after playing Oblivion I needed to relieve that Elder Scrolls.
I may come back to it with the Switch version, but it will feel like a downgrade after playing BoTW.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Skyward Sword will sell plenty probably touch the 5 million mark and hang out in the 12 million range when it’s all said and done.

Hestar69

I have the wii version with teh gold remote...but never played it because I hate motion controls...I wasn't going to buy a copy,but fuck it I'm a sucker for zelda games..

i'll say 3-5 million lifetime prolly 7-8 milliom

Corgi1985

Banned
Hopefully zero because the game is shit. Hey look nintendo added a camera you can freely rotate and now you can speed through text and skip cutscenes. WHAT INNOVATION GIVE US $60!

How about fuck you nintendo. Everything about this game is the bare minimum of what a game should have. Nintendo should get zero credit for adding shit like autosave and a free camera in 20 fucking 21. As usual the apologists on the switch subreddit can't stop sucking each other off over basic features that any other game on the planet has. Skyward sword was shit, will always be shit, and any score above a 1/10 is too much.

Last edited:

Andyliini

The poll is fairly spread out

Is there an |OT| for Skyward Sword?
There is probably an old one somewhere from 2011. I was thinking about making a new one for this rerelease, but the amount of threadshitting is overwhelming even now. I fear it would all culminate in one place if I did it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Quite a bit of salt in here already, for a game many probably didn’t even play on Wii or emulated.

SS had a very lukewarm reception due to many factors. It was a very late Wii game, coming out when the Wii’s star had already set. It had a very peculiar art style that didn’t go well with the HD screens that practically everyone had by that time. It required the Motion Control Plus and it was heavily based around motion controls, which many people already didn’t like and that, while being good, weren’t even close to perfection. It had a lot of unnecessary handholding. It had a very, very slow start. And, admittedly, some parts of the game weren’t stellar - but not even as disastrous as some people want you to believe.

The reviews and reception could never be enthusiastic. The game would have been the ultimate showcase of the Wii’s capabilities had it come at least 2 years earlier, but in November 2011, it was late to any party you could think of. Still, it’s a good game. It has the chance to sell better on the Switch than on the Wii, for sure. I don’t see it getting anywhere near 10 millions, though.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully zero because the game is shit. Hey look nintendo added a camera you can freely rotate and now you can speed through text and skip cutscenes. WHAT INNOVATION GIVE US $60!

How about fuck you nintendo. Everything about this game is the bare minimum of what a game should have. Nintendo should get zero credit for adding shit like autosave and a free camera in 20 fucking 21. As usual the apologists on the switch subreddit can't stop sucking each other off over basic features that any other game on the planet has. Skyward sword was shit, will always be shit, and any score above a 1/10 is too much.
taschentuch.jpg

Cutty Flam

Banned
There is probably an old one somewhere from 2011. I was thinking about making a new one for this rerelease, but the amount of threadshitting is overwhelming even now. I fear it would all culminate in one place if I did it.
No matter what, a thread with Skyward Sword as its topic is going to get pretty wild at some point imo

BlackTron

This game is going to teach a lot of people onboard since BOTW to be more skeptical about their Zelda buys. But they're going to have to buy it first.

6-7mil

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I watched the Nintendo Life review, after that I kinda want to play it. I'd say 10 million. So many Switch owners, so many BotW fans. It will be big.

MrA

Banned
A lot more copies than it deserves I bet :p
unless they are hiding what it actually is, games sell what they deserve whether or not we like them,
though I do agree that I wish it would do worse than it probably will. I personally found it really weak back in 2011, and I would prefer Nintendo not to succeed in selling a remaster of a single game for full price, if the collection was wind waker, twilight princess, skyward sword that would be fantastic, but 60 for 1 remaster is just too much. But if it is what people want then it deserves the success it achieves.

Cutty Flam

Banned
It was estimated that BOTW sold 1.49 million in one week. Super Mario 3D All-Stars sold 5.21 million in its first 12 days

What can SS do in a week? I’m guessing ~700,000 +

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I finished it on Wii, but I'm still gonna buy it again, because I wanna replay it using a normal controller this time.

I had fun with the sword controls on the Wii, but pretty much everything else that used gyro was a fucking mess. Particularly controlling that damn bird.

That aside, it's a good game. I like the gentle feel that it has. I'll enjoy playing it properly this time.

anthony2690

Banned
unless they are hiding what it actually is, games sell what they deserve whether or not we like them,
though I do agree that I wish it would do worse than it probably will. I personally found it really weak back in 2011, and I would prefer Nintendo not to succeed in selling a remaster of a single game for full price, if the collection was wind waker, twilight princess, skyward sword that would be fantastic, but 60 for 1 remaster is just too much. But if it is what people want then it deserves the success it achieves.
Oh I just think Nintendo is cheeky to sell remasters for full price.
I mean they could've done a triple pack bundle atleast, like with mario 3d all stars.

Skyward sword is probably one of the only zelda games I haven't played and it looks like it will stay that way too :p

It will sell a lot. I don't know how much the other handheld Zelda games sold in the past, but you should probably compare it with those, and not only to the sales for the Zelda games released on the traditional home consoles. At least 5 million, but I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be over 10 million either.

kainslayer

Neo Member
Bought a copy back then with the gold wii mote,didnt have a wii,played it on emulator instead on 1080p with aa and af game was beautiful...after so many years Nintendo did the same enhancements i did back then...not the best zelda lot of backtracking .fii cant stop holding your hand but it has some cool ideas

Tschumi

You know.. in addition to my earlier post.. just take a moment and think of the Duckets Nintendo swim in. I mean it's a pretty low effort remake and we're pretty sure they're going to sell about 5m, at however much, $60 a pop of whatever, that's stinkloads of money for, basically, a layup

FR1908

Both. Any TLoZ fan who hasn't played Skyward Sword should experience the game at least once. The main theme for Skyward Sword is pretty epic. And when the staff roll credits come around after you finish the game, that track is incredible too. With Skyward Sword, the story is there for the fans and it can feel kind of heavy as it touches with beginnings and creation. The story is powerful

I didn't like most of the OST while playing the game back in 2011, but it has grown to be one of my favourites in the franchise. The staff roll is indeed one of the best. Together with the Wind Waker's end credits my favourite.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The results are fairly even. It’s difficult to pinpoint Skyward Sword’s sales tbh. Given its history, fans have had mixed feelings about it and rightfully so. But it’s an okay game and a Zelda game nonetheless so it should sell many copies based off the prestige there and how great all of the games are

Even though it’s my least favorite Zelda game and I would argue probably that objectively it’s one of the laziest installments in the series, I still sort of want to play it at some point just to go through the story and better understand the lore

Top Bottom