• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many here would be up for an XSN Top Spin Tourney?

IJoel

Well, in what way did it suck?

I mean, if we can get a 32 people tournament going for RSC2, I can't see why we can't get an 8 people one for Top Spin.

rastex

Banned
I'm totally in!

And I agree that we should keep it small, the nature of the tournament compared to RSC2 makes it more difficult to manage.

I'd be in if we all used 0 skill players or had some rule about special timed shots. That keeps it from turning into a "special shot fest." My online experiences have been poor with people usually because all they do is keep hitting the timed special shot. Takes away all of the strategy.

Fifty

IJoel said:
Well, in what way did it suck?

I mean, if we can get a 32 people tournament going for RSC2, I can't see why we can't get an 8 people one for Top Spin.

Bump....

I know there was a glitch in the XSN play.........Striker, someone, please remind me (us)

There was an ever so slight lag in between hitting the button and your on screen character reacting, and it could get pretty frustrating.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
JohnDoe8865 said:
I'd be in if we all used 0 skill players or had some rule about special timed shots. That keeps it from turning into a "special shot fest." My online experiences have been poor with people usually because all they do is keep hitting the timed special shot. Takes away all of the strategy.

I can't stand doing the shot, i like just hitting it back and forth until someone snaps :p

IJoel

Can the tournament be played with the existing pro players? The ones with their stat points allocated already? If so, we could do a tourney with our own rules, to use only one of those and not use the timed shots. Using characters that have no skill points allocated can be boring as hell, imo.

We have 4-5 people that would be interested already.

DJ Demon J
Rastex
JohnDoe8865 (?)
IJoel
DopeyFish (?)

rastex

Banned
The whole risk shots thing is kind of annoying, what I mean is having a rule about them. It's actually not that hard to return risk shots decently... of course that's because my character has the return risk shot skill, but still. I'd really prefer to use our own custom characters, to make it fair or whatever we could say that the maximum height is 6'5" and minimum is 5'6" or something, just put some basic parameters and hope people can follow them.

If you wanna have a rule about risk shots then it should be risk shots are only allowed on the serve. I think drop shots should be doable at any point though.

rastex said:
The whole risk shots thing is kind of annoying, what I mean is having a rule about them. It's actually not that hard to return risk shots decently... of course that's because my character has the return risk shot skill, but still. I'd really prefer to use our own custom characters, to make it fair or whatever we could say that the maximum height is 6'5" and minimum is 5'6" or something, just put some basic parameters and hope people can follow them.

If you wanna have a rule about risk shots then it should be risk shots are only allowed on the serve. I think drop shots should be doable at any point though.

I certainly wouldn't want to hold up the whole she bang with my pet peeves.

I don't have a problem at all with risk shot serves or drop shots. What used to piss me off, was when I'd play someone online and EVERY shot was a risk shot. Every return. It led to very short and boring matches, because then I was forced to do the same thing, and the whole thing reeked of cheese. I don't have a problem with any shots on returns as far as slice, top spin, whatever, but risk shot after risk shot gets very boring. That was really my point of complaint, my past experience on XBL.

IJoel

rastex said:

Yes. I think this is probably the best option. Risk shots only allowed for serving. As for custom characters, I don't think there's any height restrictions that would have any impact, but what we need to make sure, in some way, is that they would have all the same amount of skill points allocated, which is why I'm leaning towards pre-made pro characters.

I got rid of my top Spin after tiring of the single player.. the online was just too frustrating for me..

i am up for Links 2004 tournaments any day of teh week however!

Top Bottom