• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many launch titles ended up being among that console's "Best Games of the Generation" for you?

How many games?

• No launch titles ended up being top games for me

Votes: 23 22.5%
  • One or two

Votes: 53 52.0%
  • Three or more launch titles ended up being top games for that console

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In case you can't remember off the top of your head:

Interested to see GAF's distribution.

2, but only on technicalities.

1) Twilight Princess is one of the best Wii games, but is crossgen and better on Gamecube.

2) Breath of the Wild, but that's obviously because the Switch launched midgen after the game had been in development on the WiiU for the first half.

But if we're talking purely next gen only launch games, then fuck no. The really good stuff only comes once devs are able to really go to town with what the new hardware is really capable of.

Original Xbox - Halo: Combat Evolved. This one probably comes the closest to the topic, i could see it as a reasonable mention as "GOTG", despite how ridiculously packed the 6th generation was later down the line. I haven't forgotten about Dreamcast's Soul Calibur, which was an incredible sight to behold and play, but it doesn't compete.

As for any other generation .. no. I can barely count a few launch titles that are actually good games, let alone name them as some of the best of a specific generation. Most of them suck ass.

I ended up putting a ton of hours into Battlefield 4 on PS4 even though I hadn't seriously played an FPS for something like 10 years before then. Loved it so much despite the bugginess in the beginning, got all the expansions, and even had the loadout mobile app. Definitely a top game of the generation for me.

Tesseract

Banned
Quake1cover.jpg

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

Last edited:
Some that come to mind for me are Soul Calibur on Dreamcast and Halo: CE on Xbox. There are a few others like Super Mario World / 64. These all held up over the lifespan of the system even as sequels came out.

I actually forgot about Nintendo. I think the 4th generation slipped my mind completely. I would absolutely see Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 reasonable mentions as "GOTG", as well as Super Mario Bros. for the NES actually.

poodaddy

I was so ready to just answer quickly without thinking about it, and my initial thought was that there wasn't many. Then I sat and really reviewed the list.....actually yeah a ton of launch games for various generations, (NES, Dreamcast, N64), are in my top 3 for that gen. Honestly wasn't expecting that. I guess sometimes they really do kind of front load the great games, but in general I think the most innovative and impressive games come around the end of a gen or near the mid way point.

Stuart360

The only one you could make a genuine case for would be Halo CE on Xbox.
Mario 64 was fantastic, but N64 had like 10-15 similar level games over the course of its life.
All the other consoles, i'd say no.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I was so ready to just answer quickly without thinking about it, and my initial thought was that there wasn't many. Then I sat and really reviewed the list.....actually yeah a ton of launch games for various generations, (NES, Dreamcast, N64), are in my top 3 for that gen. Honestly wasn't expecting that. I guess sometimes they really do kind of front load the great games, but in general I think the most innovative and impressive games come around the end of a gen or near the mid way point.
Yeah when I looked back through I realized PS2 had Tekken Tag Tournament at launch, another gotg.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think Mario 64 and Halo were the last legitimate ones.

Nintendo keeps sliding by Zelda games on a technicality (hardware hasn’t changed too much, game already in development for years), but it doesn’t seem feasible to create those kinds of launch titles anymore.

poodaddy

Yeah when I looked back through I realized PS2 had Tekken Tag Tournament at launch, another gotg.
Oh shit you're right man, I fuckin love that game.

Random point that has nothing to do with this thread: Why the fuck hasn't Namco released Tag 2 on Switch with all the exclusive Nintendo content that the Wii U port got? I want Tag 2 on the go dammit.....

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Tetris
Halo CE
Condemned Criminal Origins
Motorstorm
Breath of the Wild

If I owned a N64 then I'm sure Mario 64 would be on my list too (am playing through it currently and can understand how awesome it would have been all those years ago).

iconmaster

Banned
Since Combat for the Atari 2600, I count seven:

Combat
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World, F-Zero
Super Mario 64
Wii Sports
Breath of the Wild (Switch)

(SNES launch was incredible. SimCity and Pilotwings were also launch titles; ActRaiser very nearly so.)

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers are reacting nicely to Ratchet and Spider-Man, Last of Us 2 should have been a launch game

Banned
nowadays that's just not happening, and I am bot counting stuff like BotW and Twilight Princess because those were simply ports of last gen games.

BUT back in the day that was absolutely something that was very common.

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Hydro Thunder
Soul Calibur
Halo CE

are just a few that were very much beloved and great games that were all launch titles.

How is anyone saying less than 3?

Super Mario 64
Super Mario World
Halo CE
Super Mario Bros
Breath of the Wild
Timesplitters
Tony Hawk 2X
Twilight Princess
Castlevania Circle of the Moon

Edit: Lmao at 3+ having 26% of the votes, ya'll got some shitty taste.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Depends on who we are talking about. For Nintendo, it seems most of their best games are launch games.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Soul Calibur
Halo
Zelda Twilight Princess
Zelda Breath of the Wild

Yeah I’m confused how 3+ is losing so badly.

“launch windows” would also include:

Smash Bros Melee
Oblivion
Persona 4 Golden

Last edited:

ksdixon

I would count TLOU Remastered, released approximately 9 months after PS4 Release.

The Multiplayer being 60fps made the PS3 MP feel like slow motion at 30fps. The MP Levels were placed into one pool, rather than being seperated by DLC Pack lobbies.

Especially seeing as how they shut off the PS3 MP servers.

kunonabi

N64: Super Mario 64
Dreamcast: Soul Calibur
Gamecube: Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Wii U: Nintendo Land

The Dreamcast's Power Stone also came pretty close to being in my top 10 for that system as was ZombiU for the Wii U.

Yoda

Mario 64, Halo: CE (I think this was a little bit after launch), Bloodborne (might be too far from launch to be considered one).

Ozzie666

Super Mario World as a pack in game, simply amazing. Great game, great first experience out of the box. I wish we could go back to an included mascot game with a console, full on effort.

I love the history of Mario 64 and the allegations that Nintendo basically stole the idea and work from Gex or was it Croc? Similar to Star Fox 2. Makes me wonder sometimes about Nintendo.

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario World
F-Zero
Super Mario 64
Halo Combat Evolved
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Resistance Fall of Man
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Killzone: Shadow Fall

TLZ

Banned
Thanks for the list. Looking through them:

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World
Daytona
Super Mario 64
Jikkyou World Soccer 2000
Luigi's Mansion
International Superstar Soccer 2
Enchanted Arms
Zelda Twilight Princess
Ryse: Son of Rome
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Zelda BOTW
New Super Mario Bros U
Nintendo Land

Zannegan

Off the top if my head, I would have voted 1-2, but looking through the lists here, I'm honestly surprised how many launch games ended up being classics.

EDIT: And I'll just add that Excite Trucks is an underappreciated masterclass launch title, if not quite Top 10 in a system that ended up with quite a few gems to go along with all the shovelware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom