• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of these videogame movie/tv adaptations have you seen?

How many have you seen?

• 1-5

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • 5-10

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • 10-15

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • 15-20

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • 20-25

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 25-30

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 30-35

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • 35-40

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 45-50

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 50-55

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 55-56

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of them (I'm sorry for what you've been through)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of them

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
edMVd9E.jpg

This is far from a complete list, but I think it covers the most popular ones.

And yes, most of the ones I've seen are definitely not worth a watch.

Angry Birds
Ace Attorney
Arcane (League of Legends)
Assassins Creed
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate
Bloodrayne
Castlevania Series
Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Dead or Alive
Dead Rising Endgame
Dead Rising Watchtower
Dead Space Downfall
Detective Pikachu (Pokemon)
Devil May Cry OVA
DOTA Dragon's Blood
DOOM Annihilation
DOOM 2008
Dragon's Dogma series
Emesis Blue (Team Fortress)
Fate Stay Night
Final Fantasy Advent Children
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Fire Emblem
HALO
Hitman
Hitman: Agent 47
Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV
Mario (Super Mario Bros 2023)
Mario (Super Mario Bros 1993)
Max Payne
Mortal Kombat 1995
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter Legends of the Guild
Mortal Kombat 2021
Need For Speed
Ninja Gaiden
Postal
Prince of Persia
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva
Rampage
Ratchet and Clank
Red vs Blue (halo)
Resident Evil (animated movies)
Resident Evil (P.W.S. Anderson movies)
Resident Evil Welcome to Raccoon City
Silent Hill
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic OVA 1996
Street Fighter 2 Animated movie 1994
Street Fighter 1994
Tekken
Tekken Blood Vengeance
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider 2001
Tomb Raider 2018
Uncharted
YS 1989
Warcraft

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Just Tomb Raider and Doom and the Witcher 3, i couldn't see it on there, those thumbnails are small on my screen.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Many, and they all sucked

Most of them are reimagination of the original story or even settings that did a poor job, even those that are faithful none of them capture the aesthetic of the source material

I've seen many great film throughout my life, I appreciate old films such as North by Northwest, Casablanca, Godfather, Seven Samurai, Chinatown, The Shining etc. I also appreciate some newer films such as Memento, Gladiator, Matrix, Inception etc. I've played many great video game with good storytelling throughout my life, but for me video game adaptation of movie rarely worked well in the end.

Last edited:

NahaNago

The majority of them I believe. Although i didn't watch the halo tv show or rxb I did watch all of the other movies and that anime mix. I still haven't finished arcane or castlevania. I didn't watch last of us and I haven't watched the fire emblem anime. That old guy wtih glasses pict I don't know about and I'm not sure if I've seen ys. I've seen a fate season and I believe a movie. I watched everything else, I believe.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
I don't see Super Hornio Brothers on that list.

That's, uh ... that's a pretty big wrench.

Haven't seen it myself but based on the first few minutes of the video, I'm more surprised that this guy found it within himself to watch it a 2nd time

Last edited:

Aenima

About 11 from that list, mostly just stuff i watched on TV, when the movie channels decide to run one of those.

kyussman

I've seen a few,not gonna comment on all of them...they were generally shit,lol.I will say I found the Warcraft movie strangely watchable,although still generally shit.

nush

Gold Member
They have been consistantly shit since the beginning. the reason is that they are not made for gamers but for normies.

Laptop1991

Just Tomb Raider and Doom
Yeah. Even though it's very clearly piggybacking off the success of the games, a lot of people argue that it's really a book adaptation, so I removed it.
Fair enough, I only know the Witcher 3 and i've never read the books and i don't like the TV show anyway lol, apart from Henry Cavill.

Doczu

I tend to keep away from game adaptations, but some are legit ok. Loved MK (of course), but Postal is kinda copl too. Offensive as hell

Foxt3r

Just the witcher and made me cancel the Netflix subscription.All trash, even Yennefer‘s nipples.

Last edited:
Many, and they all sucked
What a dismissive cliché statement. There have been several good adaptations of gaming IPs. Hitman (2007), Silent Hill (2006), Warcraft (2016) and Mortal Kombat (1995) were all solid movies and worthy of the source material. Animated adaptations tend to be of a much higher quality because they're easier to produce. Also kicker kicker the list itself isn't fully comprehensive as there's often obscure films that usually go unnoticed by American audiences. For example, there's a movie based on the Fatal Frame survival horror games, though it's been restricted to the Japanese market and I'm sure it's a similar case with other Asian franchises. Of course I'm sure you already know that as there are many adaptations missing from the list.
Personally I've always loved the soundtrack to the Hitman (2007) movie, especially since it was composed by a protege of Hans Zimmer:

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
First Silent Hill movie had some care n love for the original put into it...n that's bout it
Dead or Alive is a fun guilty pleasure

Every other is full on unwatchable crap.

kicker

Banned
Animated adaptations tend to be of a much higher quality because they're easier to produce
Yeah, I think most would agree that the current best would probably be one of Castlevania, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, Arcane, or one of the other animated ones.
he list itself isn't fully comprehensive as there's often obscure films that usually go unnoticed by American audiences. For example, there's a movie based on the Fatal Frame survival horror games, though it's been restricted to the Japanese market and I'm sure it's a similar case with other Asian franchises
I've discovered that the majority of adaptations are either by japanese studios, or adapted from japanese ips. I'm sure at least 2/3 of that image in the op is japanese ips.
I actually found out about the fatal frame movie today since this thread https://www.neogaf.com/threads/lets-talk-about-video-game-movie-adaptations.1645975/ by Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme was suggested as similar to mine

SeraphJan

What a dismissive cliché statement. There have been several good adaptations of gaming IPs. Hitman (2007), Silent Hill (2006), Warcraft (2016) and Mortal Kombat (1995) were all solid movies and worthy of the source material. Animated adaptations tend to be of a much higher quality because they're easier to produce. Also kicker kicker the list itself isn't fully comprehensive as there's often obscure films that usually go unnoticed by American audiences. For example, there's a movie based on the Fatal Frame survival horror games, though it's been restricted to the Japanese market and I'm sure it's a similar case with other Asian franchises. Of course I'm sure you already know that as there are many adaptations missing from the list.
Personally I've always loved the soundtrack to the Hitman (2007) movie, especially since it was composed by a protege of Hans Zimmer:

Unfortunately, I've seen All four of the example you've listed, they have all disappointed me in different way, I can't lie to myself to pretend I like them. However I do not dismiss anyone who does like them, this is nothing personal

For example Hitman was a stealth assassin, however the entire movie is him gun blazing through everything which is the exact opposite of the main theme of the source material, the plot was also very bad compare to other similar type of film

Silent hill altered way too many aesthetic of the original game, I'm also not a fan of movie with the same name but completely different story and setting.

Warcraft 2016 was at least faithful to the source material, but from a film standard it mediocre at best

Mortal Kombat 1995 aside from nostalgic which I'm guilty of, its really an unpolished B film with laughable dialogue and performance

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This OP puts things in perspective for me..

I've seen at least 20. I had no idea there were so many video game adaptations. Cot dayum.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
14. I wasn't expecting anywhere near that amount when I started counting. I guess I forgot about most of them.

Fbh

Damn this made me realize it's more than I expected, probably around 20.

My favorites are Cyberpunk, Arcane and Castlevania S1-2

GymWolf

At least half of them, most of them were trash and the good one are just "soo bad they are good" like street fighter or mortal kombat.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
I can't believe I forgot about the most popular (and probably most successful) adaptation of all time

PJMNmqJ.jpg

It's probably the only one of these that was so successful, most people forget it's a videogame adaptation

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
I eventualy found it, it's called Arcade in other images. I think you're image has the rest of the name cut off.
Oh, I didn't realize you were serious about not recognizing the shows.
I figured the posters were popular enough, but maybe the op needs a list

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

For me the best tekken movie.

The OVA of 90s was so boring

I hate this movie because of Kazuya's leading role and the mistreatment they do to Jun. Kazuya shouldn't be with Jun.

Dorago

You forgot The Super Mario Brothers Super Show and Captain N The Game Master. There was a Pac Man cartoon before that and Dungeons and Dragons too. For live action you forgot Tron which got several games after, Cloak And Dagger, Double Dragon, and The Wizard. Also more Uwe Bolls House Of The Dead, Far Cry, and In The Name Of The King A Dungeon Siege Tale. There’s really been a steady stream of video game cartoons and movies since around 1980.

Oh, I didn't realize you were serious about not recognizing the shows.
I figured the posters were popular enough, but maybe the op needs a list
I didn't even know what Arcane was until this thread. It's about LOL champions which is as interesting as a bag of rice.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Pretty much all live-action, I'm a sucker for them even if they are awful like Uwe Boll's flicks. Only a few animated ones.

SaintALia

Almost all. I haven't watched most of the series stuff and don't plan to. I've watched pretty much the animated stuff except some of the CG ones, and movies.

Only the KOF movie came close to breaking me. I liked Advent CHildren, Silent Hill and Castlevania, but I can't say I've seen one that blows me away yet.

Pelao

From that list, I've...

Watched and disliked:
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Doom
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Hitman
  • Super Mario Bros. (1993)
  • Max Payne
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Resident Evil live action movies
  • Tomb Raider (2001)

Watched and liked:
  • Cyberpunk: Edgerunners
  • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
  • Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)
  • Mortal Kombat (1995)
  • Mortal Kombat Anihilation
  • Mortal Kombat (2021)
  • Need for Speed
  • Rampage
  • Resident Evil CGi movies
  • Silent Hill
  • Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie
  • Street Fighter: The Movie

Watched a little bit:
  • The Last of Us (I dropped it after episode 2)
  • Warcraft (Couldn't finish it. I literally fell asleep)
  • Castlevania (I enjoyed the first two seasons. I dropped it in season 3)

My favorites are still the first Mortal Kombat movie and Street Fighter: The Movie. I fucking love those films.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
You forgot The Super Mario Brothers Super Show and Captain N The Game Master. There was a Pac Man cartoon before that and Dungeons and Dragons too. For live action you forgot Tron which got several games after, Cloak And Dagger, Double Dragon, and The Wizard. Also more Uwe Bolls House Of The Dead, Far Cry, and In The Name Of The King A Dungeon Siege Tale. There’s really been a steady stream of video game cartoons and movies since around 1980.
Yeah, I can't believe I forgot all of those.
I remember watching and laughing at the far cry movie.
Liked the Tron movies somewhat.

I didn't even know what Arcane was until this thread. It's about LOL champions which is as interesting as a bag of rice.
Yes, as a premise it's silly. Don't judge it based on that alone though, it's surprisingly decent.
It has its flaws, but Arcane is probably among the very best videogame adaptations in terms of production, character writing, worldbuilding and animation (It's also able to stand entirely on its own merit since almost no-one really cared about the lol lore).

It won't blow you away, but It is definitely worth checking out if you're looking for something to watch

Top Bottom