• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many OLED owners do we have here?

What OLED TV do you Have.

• Lg C6

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Lg C7

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • Lg C8

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • Lg C9

Votes: 117 29.8%
  • Lg CX

Votes: 119 30.4%
  • Panasonic oled

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Sony oled

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • Lg B series

Votes: 50 12.8%

• Total voters
I've had LG B6 55" for almost three years now and I still love it.
I'll upgrade to LG CX when I get PS5 or wait 'till newer models.

C8 77". It is literally perfect for gaming, and it replaced a TV that wasn't bright enough in my living room because there are a lot of windows.

Tsukumo

LG B7 here.
If you fear burn-in, use pixel refresher for any videogame session longer than 4 hours. The real nemesis of these screens are games' UI and HUDs or newsfeeds at the bottom of news channels.
My average playtime per day is 4 hours. 8 on weekends. Been rocking this TV for two years and I have zero issues.

LG B8 OLED for about a year and a half. Going good. Inky blacks, primarily watch video content but no retention issues. Glad I chose it over QLED.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Is C9 futureproof for next gen? What are the major differences between CX and C9? Cheers

Last edited:

MacReady13

55” CX. Never owned an OLED before this. Glorious picture quality BUT I must ask- do you all have the setting for Energy Saving set to auto, off, low, medium or maximum? I keep it at minimum to reduce screen image burn in. I hadn’t at auto originally but I’m not too sure if it’s safe to do so. I use it primarily as a console gamer and pc usage.

rofif

Banned
The 48" is the CX right?
I know it's too big on the desk but hell... will it support freesync ?

I mean.. it's 120hz 4k oled ffs. I want it.
Just Give me 27-32" monitor version and must have freesync and displayport

Last edited:

Jigga117

The 48" is the CX right?
I know it's too big on the desk but hell... will it support freesync ?

I mean.. it's 120hz 4k oled ffs. I want it.
Just Give me 27-32" monitor version and must have freesync and displayport

No tv comes with display ports and they are not expected to

55” CX. Never owned an OLED before this. Glorious picture quality BUT I must ask- do you all have the setting for Energy Saving set to auto, off, low, medium or maximum? I keep it at minimum to reduce screen image burn in. I hadn’t at auto originally but I’m not too sure if it’s safe to do so. I use it primarily as a console gamer and pc usage.

Turn it OFF, it will cause annoying fluctuations in brightness based on the lighting in the room I believe.

CesarNsnake

Neo Member
I am in my 4th oled now:

LG B6 55 2016: first 4K OLED! VERY bright, and amazing dejudder which improved motion clarity at just 50ms cost, as all other OLEDs from here lag at 100ms with dejudder making them unplayable, some IR after 15 months of use, and only 4:2:2 chroma usable as the 4:4:4 mode was even laggier, had some undefeteable edge enhancement and some problems with black processing under 5% IRE as all previous OLEDS before

LB B7 55 2017: brighter than B6! first 120hz monitor, improved input lag to 21ms at 4:4:4 chroma, reduced ABL which made web browsing better, but it had dim HDR in game mode

SONY A8F 65 2018: Amazing TV for movies!, better size, high color accuracy and gamma out of the box, GREAT processing for cable TV at 1080i and consoles at 1080p (much better than LG sets and my current B9), BFI at 60hz for games and at 24hz for movies which made excellent analog film projector-like motion, lower brightness than B7 and but less aggressive/noticeable ABL. Zero image retention after 17 months PC use

LG B9 55 2019: Gsync! 4K120, 6ms input lag, but less impactful HDR than the Sony bc of less nits. Also BFI is locked at 60Hz even with 24hz content

nowhat

Saturday deliveries are a thing! Just got my LG CX. I'm replaying God of War, because that was one of the HDR "wow" games on my previous TV (KS7000, EU model so KS8000 in the US).

Early in the game, there's that bit where you go to a place with trees that have red leaves in them. Previously, that was "wow". Now it's "Ho Lee Fuk". The HDR looks absolutely phenomenal. Not regretting my purchase one bit.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sooo guys, is seriously none of you bothered by the C9’s motion handling?

I’m three weeks in with this TV and, much to my dismay, I don’t think I’ll turn off TruMotion ever again. The C9 handles it with a minimum of “soap opera effect” in very fast scenes, and it’s better for me than turning it off and basically see every moving line doubled due to the instantaneous pixel refresh of OLED.

Game mode drives me up the wall with free-camera 30fps 3D games. I tried Tomb Raider Anniversary on my X1X today, and the judder as the camera moves around makes me actually nauseous. Yeah, until today I considered any motion interpolation to be a cardinal sin, but if I don’t turn it on here, everything looks shaky. It’s not the only game that does this of course, just the most recent example I’ve tried. It’s basically impossible to get anything in focus as I move the camera around, everything is a blur.

I’m just baffled that so few gamers and cinema lovers complain about this, I’d think the most anal gamers would jump at this immediately. Surely they can’t all be playing only PC games at 60+ fps on the C9? There must be some console peasant affected by this?

Blond

Banned
I'll join in on this jerk off thread because we are basically the PC master race of Television. We refuse to settle like those LCD peasants.

All jokes aside, I have a 65" E8 and a 49" Sony X900E. The blacks are what make the OLED elite. My Sony looks really good due to the full array back-light, but it can never compete with the OLED.

The next step is either find a way to brighten these sets for HDR purposes or maybe we will have to look forward to micro-LED as a potential savior there.

I'm personally happy with the HDR levels on my C9 being where they are. I don't get these insane 1500-2000 nit televisions, I'm not trying to fry my retinas. Then again my personal preference for HDR was a picture around 800nits, feels like it strikes a perfect balance by giving me the extra brightness and expanded color without me reaching for the remote to adjust the brightness and contrast.

Saturday deliveries are a thing! Just got my LG CX. I'm replaying God of War, because that was one of the HDR "wow" games on my previous TV (397427, EU model so KS8000 in the US).

Early in the game, there's that bit where you go to a place with trees that have red leaves in them. Previously, that was "wow". Now it's "Ho Lee Fuk". The HDR looks absolutely phenomenal. Not regretting my purchase one bit.

You're going to make me do a third playthrough. That games implementation of HDR is something to behold on its own! It's more akin to Dolby Vision with how fine tuned it was.

I’m just baffled that so few gamers and cinema lovers complain about this, I’d think the most anal gamers would jump at this immediately. Surely they can’t all be playing only PC games at 60+ fps on the C9? There must be some console peasant affected by this?

Got an example? I've watched plenty of movies, TV shows and played plenty since the quarintine started and I know knocked out all of my school work this semester early. It's the most time I've spent with it since January (something like 100 hours since March 4th) and I've been using my PS4 and X1X with different games and I can't say that I've noticed specific motion handling at 24/30 fps, I'm actually pretty impressed as this is one of the only TV's I haven't had to use some kind of motion handling. Then again, I've always seemed to have TV's that had horrible motion handling so maybe even the modest improvement I'm seeing just so happens to be acceptable vs downright (fierce) bad?

Last edited:

Moses85

I am planning to sell my LG OLED65B and buy a new Model with HDMI 2.1

What do you think, does this make sense? Thanks!

Jigga117

I’m three weeks in with this TV and, much to my dismay, I don’t think I’ll turn off TruMotion ever again. The C9 handles it with a minimum of “soap opera effect” in very fast scenes, and it’s better for me than turning it off and basically see every moving line doubled due to the instantaneous pixel refresh of OLED.

Game mode drives me up the wall with free-camera 30fps 3D games. I tried Tomb Raider Anniversary on my X1X today, and the judder as the camera moves around makes me actually nauseous. Yeah, until today I considered any motion interpolation to be a cardinal sin, but if I don’t turn it on here, everything looks shaky. It’s not the only game that does this of course, just the most recent example I’ve tried. It’s basically impossible to get anything in focus as I move the camera around, everything is a blur.

nope. Not on my77 or 55.

dolabla

Hmm, seems the 48" CX is already out in the UK. It came out on May 11th according to this: https://www.lg.com/uk/about-lg/pres...-LINEUP-SPEARHEADED-BY-AWARD-WINNING-OLED-TVS

And it's listed on the LG UK with a place to buy (Curry's). https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-oled48cx6lb#pdp_where

Any UK'ers seen one out in the wild?

Last edited:

Setzer

Played with the C9 over the weekend. Watching movies and shows in HDR and Dolby Vision looked good. Playing 4k HDR games on the Xbox One X and PS4 also looked great! Where the TV didn't look great is when I was watching Satellite and playing non-4k HDR games on my PS4 and games on my Nintendo Switch. I switch it to Game mode and instantly Switch games are a dull, blurry mess. I understand the games are <1080p but the TV does a horrible job with upscaling. Tried messing around with various settings in game mode and even watched a couple videos on YouTube and tried their settings and can't find anything to help with it. The games actually look great if I change the picture mode to Standard but then I have to deal with the input lag. I mean it's not the LG's fault that Nintendo doesn't make better hardware but Switch games look amazing on my Sony X930E.

So do you guys have any suggestions for making Switch games look better when in game mode? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Ulysses 31

You sound like when I was using an OLED tv for gaming, terrible playing 30 fps games in game mode, I pretty much had trumotion on all the time. Perhaps LG should look into adding trumotion for game mode like Samsung does.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Most people aren't that sensitive to motion. Why do you think consoles are at 30 fps & LCDs took off over Plasma & CRTs? Sadly you gotta hook up a PC to the OLED if you want to make best use of it if you're more aware of motion issues. The more fps you can feed it, the better, it really takes off. Elsewise look into getting a Sony.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You sound like when I was using an OLED tv for gaming, terrible playing 30 fps games in game mode, I pretty much had trumotion on all the time. Perhaps LG should look into adding trumotion for game mode like Samsung does.

Most people aren't that sensitive to motion. Why do you think consoles are at 30 fps & LCDs took off over Plasma & CRTs? Sadly you gotta hook up a PC to the OLED if you want to make best use of it if you're more aware of motion issues. The more fps you can feed it, the better, it really takes off. Elsewise look into getting a Sony.
Thanks guys, but since my last post I found out the probable cause of most of my issues with the C9.

Turns out OLED isn’t the problem here. Since my AV setup dated back to 2012, my AV receiver not only wasn’t 4K ready (hence I wasn’t even actually seeing my X1 games in 4K), but it was also set up to give a bit of upscaling to incoming sources, because upscaling from my old TV wasn’t exactly great.

As soon as I connected my consoles directly to the TV’s HDMI ports, my problems with motion in games disappeared. Apparently the AV receiver was interpolating the image coming from games, creating a very noticeable stutter. This is gone now, and motion looks as good as with any other modern TV.

I did notice, though, that motion in streaming movies is different if I use the TV’s apps instead of, say, the same app from my X1. On X1 through HDMI, I don’t need to use TruMotion: I could even watch movies in Game mode, and it doesn’t bother me. But if I stream directly from the TV’s apps, TruMotion becomes something of a necessity - and it looks very different, too. No soap opera effect if I use the TV’s app, very noticeable soap opera effect out of a console. Very curious. What do you guys use to stream movies? webOS apps, or apps from a console or other external devices? Do you notice a difference between sources, too?

Anyway, now that I have apparently found the source of my problem, I’m enjoying this TV much more and I’m starting to understand why so many people vouch for OLED! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Played with the C9 over the weekend. Watching movies and shows in HDR and Dolby Vision looked good. Playing 4k HDR games on the Xbox One X and PS4 also looked great! Where the TV didn't look great is when I was watching Satellite and playing non-4k HDR games on my PS4 and games on my Nintendo Switch. I switch it to Game mode and instantly Switch games are a dull, blurry mess. I understand the games are <1080p but the TV does a horrible job with upscaling. Tried messing around with various settings in game mode and even watched a couple videos on YouTube and tried their settings and can't find anything to help with it. The games actually look great if I change the picture mode to Standard but then I have to deal with the input lag. I mean it's not the LG's fault that Nintendo doesn't make better hardware but Switch games look amazing on my Sony X930E.

So do you guys have any suggestions for making Switch games look better when in game mode? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
I have never seen a 4K TV do a good job upscaling sub 1080p content. That's a limitation of the switch and there is not much you can do.

nowhat

Maybe? But the problem is twofold, really - there's that a Switch doesn't have that much processing power, and as such, the resolution/graphical fidelity will be more suitable for portable play instead of a huge TV. And then there's the fact that many Japanese developers seem to be allergic to any form of anti-aliasing, and this definitely includes Nintendo themselves too.

WolfRathmA

I had the 55C7 6 months ago and i upgrade it with the 65C9. Very happy.

OLED is the one and only choice. Until something new come out better than this technology.

Kuranghi

I did notice, though, that motion in streaming movies is different if I use the TV’s apps instead of, say, the same app from my X1. On X1 through HDMI, I don’t need to use TruMotion: I could even watch movies in Game mode, and it doesn’t bother me. But if I stream directly from the TV’s apps, TruMotion becomes something of a necessity - and it looks very different, too. No soap opera effect if I use the TV’s app, very noticeable soap opera effect out of a console. Very curious. What do you guys use to stream movies? webOS apps, or apps from a console or other external devices? Do you notice a difference between sources, too?

I'd say usually the in-built apps are the best way to use Netflix/Prime Video/Youtube etc, just because the TV will handle everything itself without you having to make sure the (for example) Xbox is outputting the best/right signal for the TV.

When you say the motion is different in the internal app vs the xbox app are you talking about the exact same content in the same picture mode with the same picture settings? I know this sounds silly but sometimes its the most obvious thing, ie are the motion settings the same on the HDMI input the xbox is on and the internal app's settings? You have different settings for each video input AND the internal apps have their own settings.

Kuranghi

IMO, the XE93 (which is from 2017) with its X1E chip is still a better upscaler than anything from other brands up to 2020. The new Sony X1U chip from 2018+ is now in a lot more Sony sets as of 2020 and its even better in this regard.

So I think the answer is to get a Sony OLED. I know thats not really help with the C9 but it doesn't have any sharpening or database/AI-based image enchancement so not sure what to suggest to increase the quality of the upscale from the Switch, although those sorts of settings might add too much input lag for those sensitive to it.

Even with ALL image enhancements/"dynamic" picture settings everything turned off the Sony still has a better presentation for most images I've seen on them, next to equivalentally-priced LGs, Panasonics and even Samdungs.

Holy shite I love XE93, I assume you are in the UK given the way you said it? What size is it? Do you plan to sell it? I may have someone who'd buy it from you if you are, let me know mate. We are in Scotland.

Kuranghi

At 7:03 in the video, how many people here can honestly see the artifacts that Vincent mentions in both the checkboard+scrolling text test and/or the ABL expanding circle test?

I'd be interested to hear what the split is between:

A) People who see it and don't like it.
B) People who don't see it but take Vincent's word for it that its there and a downside to the TV.
C) Those who do/don't see it but think its just nitpicking and don't care ultimately.
D) Those who DO see it and don't care because the LG was the cheapest OLED out of the three choices (two in the US I think, no Pana there). Money makes the world go round after all.
E) People who knew they wouldn't use the motion enchancements anyway so its a moot point.

To the E answerers I ask do you notice motion problem from any of your sources even when all the motion stuff is off? I see a lot of incorrect pulldown and stutter/judder/whatever you want to call it, especially weird issues with 25p and 50i content, which is what broadcast is at in the UK.

The reason I ask is because my specific group of friends who are massive movie buffs (but have little technical knowledge) have OLEDs now, we all had them calibrated by Vincent Teoh but I think 75% of them ended up changing the motion settings to have more interpolation than VT suggested - don't get me wrong he totally leaves the subjective stuff like motion settings up to you, but he will suggest what he thinks looks truest to the creator's intent, he wants you to be happy about what he has done which I think is a fantastic service - because they aren't happy with the stutter/judder of 24p/30p content, so I find them constantly changing the settings and never being happy with it because its either too smooth or too juddery, this is with LG and Sony OLEDs.

Can we get a poll going for this? ;-;

edit - no input at all on this?

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I was sweating last night. Changed the channel on my C8 & some mad green lines, in a cluster about an inch thick in total, suddenly appeared down the length of the screen just off centre. Changed the channel again a few times, but the lines just stayed there.

Did a pixel refresh & everything's cool. Cold sweat though. First time anything like that happened.

Jigga117

Thanks guys, but since my last post I found out the probable cause of most of my issues with the C9.

Turns out OLED isn’t the problem here. Since my AV setup dated back to 2012, my AV receiver not only wasn’t 4K ready (hence I wasn’t even actually seeing my X1 games in 4K), but it was also set up to give a bit of upscaling to incoming sources, because upscaling from my old TV wasn’t exactly great.

As soon as I connected my consoles directly to the TV’s HDMI ports, my problems with motion in games disappeared. Apparently the AV receiver was interpolating the image coming from games, creating a very noticeable stutter. This is gone now, and motion looks as good as with any other modern TV.

Anyway, now that I have apparently found the source of my problem, I’m enjoying this TV much more and I’m starting to understand why so many people vouch for OLED! :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Glad you were able to figure it out. Man I can’t wait for the 2.1 Receivers. I am Eyeing the yamaha

Jigga117

I was sweating last night. Changed the channel on my C8 & some mad green lines, in a cluster about an inch thick in total, suddenly appeared down the length of the screen just off centre. Changed the channel again a few times, but the lines just stayed there.

Did a pixel refresh & everything's cool. Cold sweat though. First time anything like that happened.
I wonder if that was just your HDMI cable. I had that happen a few times with my previous Vizio but the problem was the HDMI cable into my recover. Like a handshake issue

Top Bottom