• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many "Subscription Games" have you actually finished?

How many "Subscription Games" have you finished? (That you actually started)

• Total voters

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, quite a few.

I remember finishing Jedi Fallen Order, NFS Heat, Gears 5, Halo Infinite, and Forza Horizon 5 at launch in a subscription and only bought these games much, much later at a significant discount. More recently I played through Stray in PS Plus, along with a number of smaller titles that I always hesitated to buy, like Warhammer Chaosbane, The Surge 2 or some obscure Disney games from PS3 library. These are the ones that I enjoyed but have no desire to ever replay them or owning them.

Not bad overall, but I think I mostly appreciate subs for the specific freedom to try games out. I already mentioned that most games I try in subscriptions are ones that I'm unsure about, and there were probably way more that I didn't like well enough and deleted after a few hours of play. If I'd buy these, I'd probably resent the purchase since I wouldn't be able to refund it but with a subscription it's no harm done because I still got my value out of the games I liked and finished.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Very few. I add the ones that interest me but I seldom get around to even boot them up. I prefer buying my games instead of subbing. Sometimes I wonder why I subscribe to PS Plus. I barely use any of the features. I don't play multiplayer, except some Elden Ring co-op and I barely play the free games. It's just a waste of money at this point.

Roxkis_ii

Gold Member
I have a really odd personal problem with subscription games. I find it harder to finish subscription games. In my mind, games that I've paid for are more valuable to me, which cause me to treat sub games as second class citizens on my console.

Been playing Death Loop and Death Stranding. I really like these games, so I think I'm going to buy them and just cut my Ps extra sub at the end.

Whether a game I play comes from a sub or I own it has no bearing on whether or not I finish it. It's about whether or not I find it compelling. So the ratio for me is the same. I finish the bulk of games I play, but I will drop games that (to me) just aren't worth it and have shown what they are without providing any incentive to press on at some point.

MacReady13

I purchase what I want to play. If I'm not too sure, I download a demo to see whether the game is for me. Fuck sub services.

Jaybe

Gold Member
Probably one or two a month since Nov 2020. It’s funny how fast I’ll drop a game that doesn’t interest me. I went through the and deleted a bunch 0 gamerscore games from the Xbox achievements list, and it was a trip down memory lane of one’s that didn’t hook me in 10 minutes.

Aenima

Most of them. Especially from franshises im familiar with. Indies are the ones i download as a gamble, some i like and finish, other are just not for me and i drop them fast.

fermcr

In other words how many games from Gamepass/PS Plus/NSO/Prime Gaming/Stadia/Epic Store etc... have you finished?

To make things more realistic just count games you have actually started.

In my case I have only finished a few, I do download almost everything they give, particularly from PS Plus & Xbox Live Gold and I've played most of them even if it's just a few minutes, but actually finished, yeah very few.

You could make a similar thread to this one, about people that purchase games and actually finish them...

- Finish all the games I purchase.
- Finish 66% of the games I purchase.
- Finish 33% of the games I purchase.
- Hardly finish any game I purchase.
- Have a huge backlog of games to finish.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Starting games and not finishing them is an issue it’s honorable in finishing games seeing the end game credits.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Every year it's less and less PS+ games for me, not only because of the poor selection but also playing games I want to play. My last good month was Crash 4 and Man of Medan - I didn't own them before PS+ and I've finished both. In most cases I don't even download them.

Last edited:

gladdys

I have not been keeping count. One of the benefits of a subscription service is with more games to try you don’t feel the need to finish a game you are not enjoying as there is almost always something else to try.

About the same amount as I finish games I actually buy...

Not many.

But I got Rocket League on PS+ way back and have played like 700 hours so that's pretty good value! And my kids have dumped 500 hours each into Goat Simulator and Minecraft off GamePass. And I get to try lots of games I find I just don't care for much.

spons

Gold Member
About half of them where I actually got more than 15 minutes in. Most of them are wiped on first try if it looks like a waste of time. With streaming I don't even have to install anything, just hit play and decide on a whim whether it's good shit or just shit.

coffinbirth

I usually don't even finish the games I buy
metallica-sad-but-true.gif

I've finished a few on ps plus, namely GoW recently, Infamous years ago, a few others here and there.

On pc game pass I finish quite a few, but not as many as I probably should to justify the expense.

Godot25

Banned
Not much.
But honestly that's good thing to me. That I can try a game without psychological pressure that I need to finish it "to get my money's worth."
In past I was obsessed with finishing games because when I shell out 60$ for them I really need to finish them. That created unhealthy gaming habits and feeling of burnout often.

Now it's easy. I will try it to see if I like it. If I don't, I just put it down without any issues.

MacReady13

You could make a similar thread to this one, about people that purchase games and actually finish them...

- Finish all the games I purchase.
- Finish 66% of the games I purchase.
- Finish 33% of the games I purchase.
- Hardly finish any game I purchase.
- Have a huge backlog of games to finish.
Yeah but he didn't. He asked the question of subscription users. Is there an issue with that?

I've finished >200 games from gamepass. I only dropped a handful of games like gta 5 and rdr2 cause they bored me to death. Gamepass for life babe, thank you for this incredible value Phil :messenger_smiling_hearts:

fermcr

Sorry. Just re-read what I wrote. Came off as rude. Didn't mean it to sound like that.

No problem. :messenger_beermugs:

Just wanted to point out that most people that purchase games, never finish them. If you take a look at Steam stats, it's likely 20-30% (or even less then that) that finish their games.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Off the top of my head i'd say around 50-60% of the games i have tried on PC Gamepass. There are a few of the games i didnt finish that i plan to go back to though.

Are you talking about story wise or are you talking about completely like 100% achievements? Because story wise I probably have beaten 80% of the games I played story wise and probably 20% achievement wise.

Last edited:
I finish nearly every game I play on Gamepass. The exceptions are when I literally can't (game is too hard) but then I still get as far as I can or there is no "end" to the game like Drum Master or Pac-Man museum. I've only played a couple games I abandoned for quality reasons.

Honestly, I think I've gotten 100% achievements in a higher percentage of games I've played on Gamepass than I typically used to.

I finish most of them, a couple I started and took a break from only to find out they left the service when I went back to finish

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
About the same percentage of games when I buy them, about 25% That's what makes GP so great and saves me a lot of money.

MacReady13

Just wanted to point out that most people that purchase games, never finish them. If you take a look at Steam stats, it's likely 20-30% (or even less then that) that finish their games.
I can attest to that myself. Massive backlog that I will eventually get to but I guess no matter how you choose to play games, many of us have a tendency to overdo it and take on more than we can handle.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think I qualify for one: World of Warcraft during The Wrath of the Lich King expansion. My guild downed every boss and challenge. I had my paladin specc'd and geared in the most perfect min/max configuration possible. I earned every achievement, had all of the mounts and pets and what not. I was like The Dark Lord of nerds - I did it mom, I finished WoW!

It's funny how at the time I thought it was some great achievement to be proud of. Six months later I couldn't even remember half the bosses or dungeons names, was no longer subscribed, and no longer cared an ounce for the game. Kind of bittersweet memories in that respect.

Edit: lol I misunderstood the question / premise of the thread. Yes, I have finished plenty of games from PS+ and Game Pass. Off the top of my head six or seven.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Ghost of Tsushima on PS5.

I guess if I don't play anything else, at least I got roughly the original retail price out of it (since I paid $60 for a year of PS+ and the game is like $60-$70).

... Or so I'll tell myself to cope.

Vexed Dad

Neo Member
None, yet. If there happened to be something i really enjoyed i would probably finish it. I use subscription services like i use to use Blockbuster; i try lots of stuff out. If something stick it's a bonus.

Conversely, i have played so many games i never would have touched.

Bridges

From my list I count 76, mostly game pass with a few GWG, I may be missing/forgetting a couple though.

I have NSO but I don't think I've ever finished a game using that unfortunately

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I probably have 20% of my steam library that I haven't even installed.

Me, maybe 5. Started a ton but lost interest. Now my son on the other hand has completed a ton of games. The problem I run into is, most of the best games that come to gamepass/psnow that are great games, I've already played. Or if they are day one releases, they are largely underwhelming.

Top Bottom