• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many "Subscription Games" have you actually finished?

How many "Subscription Games" have you finished? (That you actually started)

• Total voters

CuNi

Gold Member
I'm not a constant sub. I usually sub when it get's a game I wanted to play but never really bought or it's a day 1 release of a game I'm very interested in.
But whenever there is a game and I sub specifically for that game, I, so far, always finished it.

20cent

Banned
I pick games from PC GP the same way I'd pay for them, so I've finished almost all of them.

The free games I got from Epic though, except GTA5, I haven't even touched even one of them.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
You ask how many, then only have options to show completion ratio. I don't see what useful information can be gathered by such a measure. Most games I flat out purchased didn't end up getting played to completion, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my time with it.

DaGwaphics

I have a good idea of what I'll like and what I won't from seeing gameplay trailers etc., most of the games I start playing seriously I finish (as in finish the story/main campaign I don't achievement hunt) . I complete a lot of the GP Quests so that fills my achievements record with a bunch of games with either zero or just one or two achievements, but I don't count those.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

You ask how many, then only have options to show completion ratio. I don't see what useful information can be gathered by such a measure. Most games I flat out purchased didn't end up getting played to completion, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my time with it.

It's data about player commitment to games they didn't directly purchased.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
It's data about player commitment to games they didn't directly purchased.
It's not useful data though. You need a control group and accurate numbers. To derive any conclusion from your question you would need accurate numbers on commitment to not only games played through "subscription models", but also accurate numbers on each players history with games purchased through traditional means. I question the ability for 95% of people asked, to be able to provide accurate numbers in either category. What good are the numbers if they aren't true representation of reality.

We would then have to figure out a way to take into account inflated number of games played on subscription services. Personally, I find myself sampling games I would never normally play if it required payment up front. Sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes a few hours. I would imagine that's the case with most people. Now, should that inflated game count be used to determine ones "commitment" towards the games a player do find engaging? I really don't think it should.

There are good questions to be asked to get a picture of the impact of these, somewhat new, distribution methods. I just don't think this one provides any meaningful answers in its current form.

Edit: I would like to clarify that when I speak of personally sampling games on "subscription" platforms, I'm taking ps plus, xbox gold, gamepass, Nintendo online, and stadia pro into account.

Edit edit: if your question is, do people feel a higher sense of urgency to invest time into a product they purchased outright vs acquired through indirect means, I would say probably yes. I just don't know how one could quantify that.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Who are the 10 (as of right now) that have completed every game they have started? How the hell are Ya'll finding only good games? Or are you suffering through the bad ones? Or... ..did you just start gaming last week? :messenger_grinning:

bender

What time is it?
Probably considerably less than 33% but I've finished a bunch of games this year that our on services. I tried to mark which ones I've owned previously or would have purchased anyway:

-The Gunk
-Forza Horizon 5 (pre-ordered/previous purchase)
-Halo 2 (previous purchase)
-Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (purchased because of GPU)
-Unpacking
-Halo 3 (previous purchase)
-Ico
-Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope
-TMNT: Shredders Revenge (pre-ordered/previous purchase)
-Descenders
-Stray
-Dead Space (previous purchase)
-Dead Space 2 (previous purchase)
-Tinykin
-Infernax (purchased because of GPU)

I'll wrap up Scorn soon and I'll most likely play through the new Plague Tale. I'd guess subscriptions services offer a third of the games I've finished and large majority of games that I actually try.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A few but I'm horrible at finishing games that I've bought too, so I'm no test sample.

Tiamat2san

I’d say a majority, i try only what seems to be interesting.
But since i « didn’t pay » for them, if it becomes boring, i won’t finish it.
If it’s really good, i’ll buy the game though.

Labadal

I have finished quite a few PS+ games. 6 games per year. These are the ones with trophies. I know that I have beaten PlayStation Minis, non-trophy games, and games without trophies. I have played many more, but never ended up finishing them for one reason or another.

The list:
  1. Streets of Rage 2
  2. Golden Axe
  3. Shatter
  4. Altered Beast
  5. Castle Crashers
  6. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
  7. Back to the Future
  8. The Simpsons Arcade Game
  9. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
  10. Costume Quest
  11. Bulletstorm