• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many TeraFlops will the Ps5 Pro, Xbox series X / S Pro have?

How many TeraFlops ?

• 20TF

Votes: 111 45.9%
  • 16TF

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • That's some Bull...

Votes: 92 38.0%

• Total voters
According to TCL (Tv maker) PS5 Pro and Xbox Series X/S Pro to drop sometime in 2023 or 2024, they also mentioned the Radeon RX 7700 XT, perhaps as a point of comparison in terms of what we can expect power-wise from new mid-gen consoles.

Personally i think it is very unlikely for Sony and Microsoft to release enhanced consoles this soon ,silicon shortage that will last for at least another 2 years, and TSMC's 5nm or 4nm nodes will be in short supply (thanks to Apple gobbling up most of it for themselves) and very expensive in 2024. I see no point in releasing "pro" consoles under these circumstances, but if they go for it I'm curious to see what they gonna do, maybe some Zen 4 Cores + RDNA 3 GPU cores, put it out on TSMC 5/4nm, boom there you go 20TF chip for PS5 Pro, double the performance, what do you guys think?
How many TF would that be?

Jaybe

The square root of -1

math mathematics GIF by National Geographic Channel

It's not going to be 16-20 TFLOP range. If that is the case, it's going to be dead on arrival. Even if Sony, and MS begged AMD to have TFLOP in that range, they would not be able to due to the nature of RDNA 3 microarchitecture with MCM design.

Expect a reasonable 60 TFLOP-100 TFLOP range. Most likely at the lower to mid-range between 60 and 100 tflop

ClosBSAS

It's not going to be 16-20 TFLOP range. If that is the case, it's going to be dead on arrival. Even if Sony, and MS begged AMD to have TFLOP in that range, they would not be able to due to the nature of RDNA 3 microarchitecture with MCM design.

Expect a reasonable 60 TFLOP-100 TFLOP range. Most likely at the lower to mid-range between 60 and 100 tflop
so on par with a future 4080/90? really? do you really think they will reach those levels of power?

so on par with a future 4080/90? really? do you really think they will reach those levels of power?

No I am talking about RDNA 3. RDNA 3 in my opinion is basically playing catch up to 3080 series with more efficiencies and refinements. Its not like its going to be released this year, we are talking Holiday 2023 at the earliest (very unlikely) or Holiday 2024. There might some more creative and savvy customizations (similar to SSD) and implementation of NPU's and controller/chips that offset unnecessary redundant tasks from I/O, CPU, GPU which has the potential to make it above 3090 level. Also dont forget that Zen 4 is hitting 5Ghz, and RDNA 3 is rumored to be hitting close to 3 Ghz (just like i predicted) which is amazing.

What I am trying to say is, the Pro consoles are NOT going to be the pro console like ps4pro-which to me- in terms of specs are laughable. Its more like Xbox One (1.3 TFLOP) to Xbox One X (6 TFLOP) type of change (although the series S throws a wrench)

93xfan

Banned
I just don’t see this making any sense. Especially not with a chip shortage and with the console being hard to find even halfway into this year.

If either do it, it would be a big mistake, imo.

Something like a revision with additional hardware that helps upscale seems much more viable.

Banned
uhm, the answers to choose from are weird.

I expect at least 30 to 40TF from a Series X2 (that's also my bet on what it will be called btw. they clearly set the names up for that)

a 20TF Pro system would barely move the needle tbh.

Last edited:

sachos

At least it should be double the PS5 no? But what i really want them to do if they do a Pro model is to really up those RT capabilities and add hardware to support ML for upscaling, like DLSS. I think that would justify a Pro model. It should come in 2024 though, give some time for tech to mature.

7700 XT would be the Navi 32, right?

Well, current rumor is Navi 31 is 12,288 shader cores, running at 2.5 GHz - 3 GHz. That's 61.4 TF - 73.728 TF.

Navi 32 would be 8192 shader cores; at same clocks that's 40.96 TF - 49.152 TF.

However, we don't know what the power consumption for Navi 31 is yet. They're saying between 375 - 450 watts. Minus RAM that's probably around 355 - 430 watts for the GPU. Theoretically if you cut that down by a third and power consumption went down by a third, it'd bring that down to 236 - 286 (287) watts. Both of those are probably too high for a Pro console, I think Sony and Microsoft would want to try staying within the power profile of the base systems right?

So either they drop the clocks down, or cut down the amount of shader cores, or do a mix of both. So I guess the peak of a cut-down 7700 XT fit for console would be closer to 25 TF - 30 TF. Which is still over 2x what the current systems provide.

That's assuming any of this is true though; I think that TCL dude was just guessing that midgen refreshes would arrive by then following the pattern so far. But do we really need them this gen? Also these systems would be using 6nm & 5nm, the latter being more expensive. There's a good chance the Pro systems would be at least $100 more than $499, partly because I don't think the base systems would be at enough volume to cut the prices yet.

I don't think we'll have Pro models of these consoles. Slim versions though might happen.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Not like Series X and PS5 have been close to tapped yet, anyway. Plus with the way Sony & MS want to expand their ecosystems I don't think Pro models would be priority for them. A streaming box like Apple TV for Microsoft, and a portable (maybe hybrid?) for Sony, would probably be more of a priority for them.

Nah dude, there is no way Pro models will be anywhere near that performance. Even Navi 31 will not reach near 100 TF, the common expectation seems to be around 75 TF and that's with potentially pushing 450 watts of power on 5nm.

We'll probably most definitely get 100+ TF consoles for 10th gen, however.

20tf+

Because they'll use different chips, therefore more production.

I mean it is more production, but it's production split between different products. And if they know Pro models only sell to a small segment of the base market anyway, they won't produce enough of them to drive up total order amounts to bring in additional bulk discounts.

The big benefit for Pro models would be Sony & Microsoft selling them at high profit margins.

Last edited:

We’ll see at the most 60 TFLOPs IMO… but I could be wrong…

Rayderism

Make it powerful enough to play physical PS3 games. Put the CD laser back in the disk drive to play physical PS1/2 games.

Yeah, yeah, go ahead and continue to sell their puny library of digital BC games, but I KNOW there are games I still want to play from previous gens that will never be available digitally due to licensing issues. My old consoles won't last forever.

I mean, wouldn't making it able to play physical games from previous gens get around the "licensing issues" they have with digital releases?

Reallink

You'd be looking at ~RX 7700 tier for 2023 (probably around 20TF) and an ~RX 8700 for 2024 (probably low 30's TF). Biggest improvements would be a larger emphasis on specialized RT and Upscaling hardware on die. You're never going to get a RX 7900 or RX 7800 sized chip in a console, it'll always be a modified third rung down (i.e. RX 7700) due to size and power constraints. This third tier AMD chip is always trash, you'd be much better off dumping your $500 towards a then contemporary Nvidia GPU. An RTX 5070 or 6070 will probably be 3 or 4 times faster than the PS5 Pro or Series Z. Consoles take too long to design and manufacture at scale, and they're too cheap and power starved to be anything more than mediocre. "Pro" consoles would be a waste of time and resources with everyone now committing games to PC. If you want a PS5 Pro or Series Z, buy a PC.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Iirc PS4 went up from ~2 to ~4 with the Pro. So I’d guess PS5 would go from ~10 to ~20.

Knightime_X

Pro models are stupid.
Next gen I might as well wait for PS6 pro, Super X buttseX box, and skip the weaker launch version.
If this is going to be the norm, i'm pretty much done with launch consoles.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
With 4k not being a problem anymore, most gains in power will be dedicated to RT, its the next field where games can get a significant bump in realism.

Im all for that.

Full of shit.

Top Bottom