• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many times has your pre-release hype been met or exceeded by a game at launch?

I would say most of them....

Recent examples: 2020-21

81lVA9vWmKS._SL1500_.jpg
a3dx882nq6x61.jpg
81J-uEoQ6WL._SX342_.jpg
Scarlet-Nexus-Cover-PS5-min-558x700.jpg
ps4-atelier-ryza-2-standard-edition.jpg
91XE-EMDJaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
91InW5hEU3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Games I'm looking forward to rest of the year.
E38RiNDXEAAwx6N.jpg
71cfKqQbB+S._SL1004_.jpg
3max.jpg
c6f543363e071c4c4d506494657ff73c.jpg
advancewars2.png
Brother?..Cousin?...doppleganger? :messenger_grinning_smiling: ...Its a good bit of the games on this list I was coming to post lol,you got good taste.
My fave game of the past few years that blew me away at launch was Katana Zero...

Sidenote: Scarlet Nexus is amazing and a total surprise. I checked my Playtime and I didn't even realize it but I'm up to 48 hours in the game and even though I think I'm close to finishing it - I have such a good time just running around experimenting with the combat system and the powers....13 Sentinels was a good surprise for me too..Saw the videos and thought I wouldn't like it but a friend of mine pushed me to get it and I fell in love with that game

Last edited:

schaft0620

Recently in reverse order chronologically.

Met
Deaths Door
Resident Evil Village
MLB The Show 21
The Medium
Hitman 3
Dirt 5
Spider-Man: MM
Demon's Souls
Animal Crossing: NH

Exceeded
Astro's Playroom
COD Black Ops Cold War
MK11 UE
Ghost of Tsushima
FF7 Remake (expectations were low).
Microsoft Flight Simulator

Cryio

Assassins Creed II
Assassins Creed III
Crysis 2
Metro Exodus
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Mass Effect 3
Devil May Cry 5
Arkham City
Arkham Knight
Portal 2
The Witcher 2
The Witcher 3
Dead Space 2
Dishonored 2

I was right on the money, for my tastes anyway

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Dark souls 1 and 3, Bloodborne, demons souls, Mario 64, final fantasy 6, final fantasy 9, dead space, world of Warcraft

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Exceeded my hype

Uncharted 4
TLOU
Nier Automata
Resident Evil 2 remake
Final Fantasy 7 PSX
The Witcher 3
Spider-man and Spider-man Miles
Ghost of Tsushima

MrA

Banned
ShinING force 3
Panzer dragoon saga
Earth defense force 2017,2025,5, invaders from planet space
Resident evil 4
Shadow of the colossus
Gravity rush (except the stupid back panel touch nonsense)
Contra 4
Sure hope edf 6 gives me a reason to want a ps5 or xsx

kingwingin

Gears of War. Thought the campaign was fantastic, one of the few games I replayed multiple times. Online portion had more hooked! One of my first online competitive experiences.

Vanquish. Again, replayed multiple times and was dead set on platinuming but I could never get past that last trial.

Killzone 2. Online was a let down but campaign was all that I hoped it would be

Last edited:
Exceeded:
Red Dead Redemption (only the first game)
Skyrim
Bloodborne
Fallout 3
The Last of Us
The Last of Us II
Demon's Souls Remake

Met:
God of War (2018)
Ghost of Tsushima
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Eh, pretty much every Sony 1:st party title except for The Order and Days Gone.

I rarely have high expectations though and I am often at least a little bit disappointed in new games.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Back then during the PS360 era, I have two great memories of games that more than delivered.

They were Demon's Souls on PS3 and Sonic Unleashed on 360. These games looked awesome... and they absolutely were. Sonic Unleashed still looks incredible, and plays like a dream even to this day. And Demon's Souls delivered exactly what I had been hoping for. In the past, I loved games such as Hexen, Dragon's Blood and Lodoss on DC, and I definitely got the same kind of dark fantasy, and super immersive experience here.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Zelda Ocarina of Time and amphorae Mask. I was waiting for the commercials to appear on tv. I was watching in awe. Was super duper fucking hyped and it paid of both times.

Last time I was very hyped was for Witcher 3 and The Last of Us. Both paid of their hype.

xrnzaaas

I don't hype for many games these days and even with limited selection of games I get disappointed about half of the time, mostly by the poor release state followed by countless patches. From the last few years Tony Hawk 1+2 remaster, Resident Evil 2 remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Spyro trilogy and Steamworld Dig 2 have definitely met my expectations.

Raphael

Oh plenty of Times. Orange box, vc and san Andreas, baldur gate 2, dragon Age origins, pillars of eternity, witcher 3, Bloodborne, red dead 2, total war warhammer, crusader kings 3. I might be easy to please.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
Most recent would be RDR 2. Beat my expectations and one of the best game I’ve ever played.

BreakOut

Recently, Star Wars Jedi fallen order.. totally did not expect the game to be good. My expectations were low to begin with so meeting/exceeding them wasn’t hard I guess. But I really got attached to that game.. fucking EA.. who’d of thought

anthony2690

Banned
Honestly very often, but I tend to not follow the game too much, or get mega sky high unrealistic expectations that the game can never meet :p

Excess

Red Dead Redemption 2 is the only one that recently comes to mind for me.

Also, maybe RE2 Remake.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

This gen. Fire Emblem 3 houses exceeded my hype.
As did God of War, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Demon Souls, Stardew Valley

Gameplay wise I wasn expected to play MGS 5 as much as I did.

Games that didn’t Disco Elysium, Pillars of Eternity

Games in the past… too many exceeded the hype From Mario 64, Zelda OOT, Resident Evil 2 and much more

Miles708

Not many but the one i remember most is the first Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.
At that time Team Ninja released a couple of Dead or Alive games and everyone looked at them as a powerhouse. The hype surrounding their first action-game was immense, every preview was praising it incredibly.

And then it came out and became the best 3D action game in the history of video games.
Beat that!

Several. Some games get lower scores than they deserve or fly under the radar or are better than expected cause the hype emphasized the wrong thing s.

Prey, for example, was my GOTY when it came out.

Alan Wake

I'm sure there are more but these are the first ones to come to mind:

Halo 3
Alan Wake
BioShock Infinite
The Last of Us

Detroit: Become Human exceeded them by a mile. What an emotional ride it was.

SSfox

Almost every time, also i try to not follow and watch every little things, for example after i beat some of my most wanted games like FF15 and ROTR, i then go back and take a look and the news about the games before release, and i was shocked on how much was showed about those games, i probably for sure would have appreciate way less those games i followed every tiny detail news.

Some of the games that handled it well imo are GOW, RDR2 and DQ11 for examples, had some cool trailers that hype you but without spoiling the damn thing, and saved all the cool stuffs and surprises for discovery once the game was out.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Resident Evil 2 Remake.

That game is just insanely good. I love how it doesn't take anything away from the original. I mean, how often in the history of gaming have we received a flawless game, only to be remade in a flawless manner? Some people knock the B scenario in the remake but considering it wasn't even going to be there, it was nice of Capcom to shoehorn it in. I don't think it detracts from the overall game quality whatsoever.

I would put the FF7 remake up there too. I like the OG FF7 but am no means a fan boy over it, people have jumped the shark with the original in terms of their defense of it. Playing FF7 remake was just fucking awesome beyond belief. Biggs, Jesse, and Wedge are so fleshed out and fantastic. The music, the graphics, that first motorcycle scene when Jesse is on the back. One of the coolest things I've ever experienced in a game.

bender

What time is it?
I hope because no other game could achieve such hype levels and not because you think MGS2, a masterpiece, was a disappointment.

Amazing narrative. Big Shell was dull as dishwater and the bosses were terrible. The demo was easily the best part of the game.

I haven’t experienced that many releases, but I was so blown away by FFVII remake, Resident Evil remake, Zelda: Breath of the wild and Seiken Densetsu 3 remake!
I hope I can add FFXVI to the list 😻

RCU005

The game that I've been most hyped about like a little kid in Christmas was Killzone 2. I remember playing the Demo and being blown away. Then, the game released and I exploded! Loved every second of it. I remember being in awe for the graphics and gameplay, etc.

Other games that have met the hype for me were God of War 3, Super Mario Galaxy, The Last of Us Part 2.

everything leading up to GTA III & BOTW.....ended up being true.

it was as good if not better than all the glowing previews. I remember reading about GTA3 in magazines before it released. And the things they were saying you could do in the game sounded unbelievable

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Destiny
Destiny Taken King
Destiny 2
Destiny 2 Forsaken
Spider man
Titian Fall 2
Jedi Fallen order
Dragon Age
Dragon Age Inquisition
Mass effect 2
Phantasy Star Online

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
Psychonauts exceeded my expectations (it's on my mind), as did Sonic 1&2, Streets of Rage 1+2, Halo CE, Gears 1, Ocarina and Mario 64, the Arkham series (particularly 1+3), Dark Souls 1. Not many recent games have exceeded or even met my expectations tbh. Some games exceed my every low expectations, but actually living up to super hype, not too often nowadays!

This list is not exhaustive though, I'm sure I could think of many more, mostly older games.

A decent amount of times over the years

Mario 3
Mario 64
Mario Galaxy
Sonic 2
REmake
Street Fighter 4
Doom 2016
Doom Eternal
Tekken Tag(PS2 launch)
Rez
MGS3
Quake 2
Diablo 2
MK9
Double Dragon Advance (Yes, I was hyped for this release)
Gears of War

There's def quite a few more I'm forgetting.

lachesis

I usually tone down my expectation waaaay down. Last time I've been genuinely super hyped about a game is long long time ago.
By staying blind in games that I am interested in, also helps out too and makes me see the game for what it is. In the end, thanks to that - I do feel like I'm getting more out of my purchase without being disappointed too much.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Some more

The Order 1886
Metal Gear Solid 1
Days Gone
Mortal Kombat 1
Super Mario Bros 3
Mass Effect 2
Forza Horizon 3
Quantum Break
Until Dawn
Resident Evil 1

Danknugz

1. Super Mario 3 (I actually somehow managed to play some weird Japanese import before the us version released that I randomly rented from a video game store)
2. Super Mario 64
3. Duke nukem 3d
4. Quake
5. Onward VR (multiplayer pvp no bots)

Top Bottom