• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much better is the screen on the PSP-3000 in comparison to the PSP-2000?

Koren

Quite a bump, indeed, but interesting enough!

3000 definitely comes out on top, unsurprisingly.
Not convinced, I'm still liking 2000 better.

That being said, I would gladly buy either a 2000 or a 3000 now, I have bad contact on the UMD door that keeps popping a "the door is open" message T_T

(also, the UMD enclosure is awful, I have more and more games whose enclosure is "broken")

televator

I don't know if it's relevant now,
but since I'm being kind of nostalgic towards the psp (especially in comparison to the vita),
I recently did an extended test of the screens of all 3 models, pre go & E(street).
I have the latter 2 handhelds as well, but haven't included them in this comparison.

If there is enough interest I will do a comparison of any given model with the go and/or street model. For now I can say this in regards to those two models: the go has a smaller but better screen of the two (sharper & more vivid colors), and the E1000(street) has the worst TN panel I have ever experienced: when holding the handheld in a particular angle, the colors almost inverse and when playing any game it gets so bad you can't even make out what's happening on the screen anymore. Funny thing is: when you hold the E1000 upside down (so the thumbstick is on the right), you don't have this problem and the colors remain clear... If sony would have just put the TN panel the other way around it wouldn't have been much of a problem, but as for now, it's really really bad.

On to the comparison then, here's the imgur link to the comparison album:

http://imgur.com/a/TM4V2

Let me know what you think. I didn't focus on scanlines or interlacing since I didn't use any games for the comparison (which would make me have to buy the same game three times, could use demos though). Again, if there's enough interest I might look into doing that. Overall the results are: 2000 model is better at displaying true colors in the cold range, while the 3000 model is better at displaying colors in the warm range. 3000 also has a sharper image quality than the 2000 or 1000 model, but you might have to pay the price of the scanlines. About that real quick: I noticed that the scanlines appeared on still images as well (as opposed to the moving images that are said to induce them): just by tapping a loading screen while I was waiting I noticed that with every tap the scanlines appeared, which makes me inclined to think that not the images moving, but the system itself moving are causing the scanlines to appear: sort of altering the way the light from the led's reaches your eyes, apparently shifting towards the blue spectrum which makes that color stand out more (led colors are aligned horizontally on the 3000 model --> creating dark blue scanlines). Hope that cleared things out a bit.

Cheers!

3000 looks to have better color. The 1000 is the worst. I have a 2000, but I play it at home on my TV.

Tambini

My 1000 has the worst ghosting imaginable, need to upgrade to a 3000 one day

Love the Go but have too many UMDs

CS_Dan

An odd necro but an interesting one!

Man, I loved my PSP Go. It was way overpriced, but it got way too much shit for being download only. If it had come out a year later for a bit cheaper, I think the outlook on it would have been quite different. What a cool little device.

The idea of buying Vita cartridges is a bit bizarre to me now.

Top Bottom