• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much better is the screen on the PSP-3000 in comparison to the PSP-2000?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have a PSP-2000, but because of the black friday sales I was thinking about getting the PSP-3000, but I was wondering how much better the screen was and if it would be worth it for myself? Is the PSP-3000 any lighter as well?

I'm also going to try and see if this one store has a PSP Go still because I was also thinking about picking up one of those for $99.

I plan on getting a Vita at launch as well.

The Go is a great little device. Fantastic. If I remember correctly, people complained about the screen on the 3000 (ghosting issues?). Perhaps that was the 2000 model.

whitehawk

Banned
No point in getting a PSP Go if you are going to buy a vita. Just wait the 3 months and play the PSP games up-rezzed and with 2 analog sticks. Only go for the 2000/3000 if you are going to buy a PSP right now.

sega4ever

No point in getting a PSP Go if you are going to buy a vita. Just wait the 3 months and play the PSP games up-rezzed and with 2 analog sticks. Only go for the 2000/3000 if you are going to buy a PSP right now.

are you saying the vita scales psp games or renders them in a higher resolution?

Eusis

Depends on the game, but generally newer titles look much nicer on it. There is that interlacing issue, but you can get used to that, and if your PSP is having any issues (mine has these damn dark spots) then it's an even better idea. Still, there IS the Vita coming out, if I knew their PS1 plans and what'd happen with the UMD/PSN program and how thorough it'd be I'd be very disinclined to getting a new one.

EDIT: That, and how good games will even look on the Vita. It's quadruple the pixels exactly, so that may be able to simulate the look of the PSP screen anyway, but from my experience with the iPod Touch 4 there's no guarantee it won't become blurry anyway. Imagine PS1 games would be better on the Vita though if it has full support, they were a bit blurry on TVs anyway and it ensures the 480i moments look perfect, not to mention (hopefully) proper analog support for games that had it like FFVIII and IX.

Trojita

How bad is the interlace problem? The main reason the GO would be doable is because I hav e alot of my UMD's ripped, and you can run them on the GO now. I tried looking for a PSP GO for at least $99 but I can't find any :(

With the Vita I will probably have to use the trade up program if the prices are at least decent.

Trojita

So, Vita has a UMD drive now? Or has Sony changed their mind and are converting people's games for free?

You authenticate your game online and then you get a discounted rate if it has an online version on PSN. Some games are as low as $5. Not the best option it could be, but you get what you get.

Not even three-fifths as bad as the clamor about it used to be.

I wonder how many people didn't buy the 3000 because of that one comparison picture from Disgaea.

I love my PSP 3000. The colors just seem so much more vibrant than the 2000. Especially because I never take it anywhere and its always plugged into the AC to get the brightest setting.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
When I got my 3000, I was surprised how much brighter the screen was than the 2000. There is the "scanline" look to it, but I'd rather have the better screen. I'd still call it an improvement over the 2000.

I think the Go is better than both of them though? I don't have one, but I believe so. And remember: the Go is fully hackable. That means you can rip your UMD games on the PSP-2000 and play them on your Go.

Eusis

It's definitely noticeable depending on where and in what kind of game, but I also second it being an overblown problem. Stuff like the Disgaea shot is WAY zoomed in, and you can get used to it. Plus I seemed to notice less ghosting, and for some games that DEFINITELY counteracts the weird interlacing effect.

Trojita

lol I went to go order the 3000 on Amazon, and it seems they sold out. I figured that since their day ends at 3:00 AM EST, they'd still have that price, but they sold out I guess. I'll wait to see if it goes back to that price I guess. I would get it for $99.99 at Best Buy, but I'd rather not pay tax.

Grimmy

Banned
You authenticate your game online and then you get a discounted rate if it has an online version on PSN. Some games are as low as $5. Not the best option it could be, but you get what you get.

We still have no indication Sony will bring this service to the west. From the reaction to the service after it was announced in the west, it's very possible Sony might just skip it altogether.

As someone who's owned a dozen PSPs over the years I can confidently say anything past the 1000 is going to be fine. Unless you put two systems next to eachother and really try to find problems you'll never notice a difference between the two. If you have a 2000 and it's still working for you there's no reason to get another.

Teknoman

The current 3000 series screens are very sharp and vibrant. Its like night and day when looking at a 2000 series screen compared to 3000.

Other than that, they feel the same to me.

klee123

If you can get the PSP go for cheap then it's definitely worth it simply due to the portability alone.

It's an amazing little device for rpgs and PSone games.

madmook

3000 has better contrast ratio but has the scanlines.

2000 does not have the scanlines but has slightly worse contrast ratio/black levels.

1000 has ghosting and terrible contrast ratio.

I haven't seen a Go's screen, but heard it's the best of the psp's.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
3000 has better contrast ratio but has the scanlines.

2000 does not have the scanlines but has slightly worse contrast ratio/black levels.

1000 has ghosting and terrible contrast ratio.

I haven't seen a Go's screen, but heard it's the best of the psp's.

Yeah, I went from a 1000 to a Go, and it was playing my games for the very first time.

Similar to when I went from DS Phat to DSi.

kneePat

8-21-08psp3v2.jpg

more comparisons here: http://psp-asia.blogspot.com/2008/10/psp-2000-and-psp-3000-screen-comparison.html

psp3000 is the bottom one...

Ranger X

The PSP 3000 is having better contrast indeed but just in case you'd be deceived, I have to tell you that there's not less ghosting.

Eusis

Why hasn't Sony released the new PSP in the US / Japan ?
Probably because most Americans who are interested would scoff at taking out wi-fi, and it'd be batshit insane to release in Japan. Imagine if they made an offline only model of the 360 or the PS3 here, it'd be completely laughed off.

Also, I have a suspicion the Go might actually have the same screen flaws as the 3000, it's just that the smaller screen and resulting higher pixel density means it doesn't show anymore. Whether or not that's true it does mean it'd have the best screen so long as you didn't get in a huff over a somewhat smaller display.

I have the first JP import PSP with one dead pixel looking right in my face. That's a lesson, i wait for the EU PS Vita release in Februari.
If something is wrong with the PS Vita i can exchange it easy.

Eusis

I have the first JP import PSP with one dead pixel looking right in my face. That's a lesson, i wait for the EU PS Vita release in Februari.
If something is wrong with the PS Vita i can exchange it easy.
After my PSP dark spots I don't see dead pixels as a big deal. Of course, my system had a few of those ANYWAY despite being a silver 2000, so at this point I just don't care unless it's completely preposterous.

Stick with the 2000, the 3000 has interlacing issues and AFAIK doesn't allow you to do a permanent install for custom firmware.
It's easily possible neither of those are big deals, especially if the 2000 screen has become flawed like mine has. Interlacing >>> deteriorating screen, easily.

After my PSP dark spots I don't see dead pixels as a big deal. Of course, my system had a few of those ANYWAY despite being a silver 2000, so at this point I just don't care unless it's completely preposterous.

A few dead pixels? That would be unacceptable for me, PSP screen is too small not to see it. If my PS Vita OLED screen only have one, i will exchange it immediately!

iAol6N06upCKi.jpg

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Screen Ghosting (bigger = worse):
PSP1k = PSP2k >> PSP3k = PSPGO

The contrast did improve as well, but it's not even close as dramatic a difference as going from constant-blur to hey, I can actually see things in motion now.
PSP3k is the only one where ghosting looks like scanlines, and yes PSPGo still has visible ghosting (but so do all LCDs, so that's really not an argument).

Jazzem

I've got to be honest, I'm not sure what this scanline issue that people mention is...I've not really noticed it, the 3000 seems to have a really nice screen to me.

How bad is the interlace problem? The main reason the GO would be doable is because I hav e alot of my UMD's ripped, and you can run them on the GO now. I tried looking for a PSP GO for at least $99 but I can't find any :(

With the Vita I will probably have to use the trade up program if the prices are at least decent.

I have a 2000, a 3000 and a go... I find that the interlace "problem" on the 3000 is not even noticable to me while playing - I can see it when I look for it, of course, but once I'm in a game, it's gone - and the screen is better in other ways to the 2K, so that's the PSP I tend to use now for UMDs... The PSPgo has the nicest screen of the bunch by far, however...

If you can rip UMDs, I would suggest you seriously consider getting a PSPgo and setting up 660PRO CFW over Sony's 6.60 firmware. You really get the best of both worlds with that setup in that you can run standard Sony firmware when you want and boot into CFW at will. The other advantages of the PSPgo are terrific portability (fits in your front shirt pocket), really nice buttons and controls and the ability to interface with a DS3 via bluetooth and play your PSP games on your TV with a few add-ons (basically, the cradle and a video cable, which you can find for about $5 each now). For me, the portability factor beats all, as I found myself bringing my PSPgo to places I never bothered to carry my PSP, simply because it used no more space than a smallish smart phone; I'm sure my PSPgo will still see lots of use even after I get my Vita (I have the bundle on preorder) for this reason.

I had a PSP Go but traded it for a PSP 3000. While the Go had a slightly better screen and better portability, my hands cramped when I played for an hour or longer. The PSP 3000 is way more comfortable and ofcourse, the PSP 3000 has a bigger screen than the Go.

Pezking

3000 has the far better screen.

Better contrast, deeper blacks, and most of all: No ghosting!

The scanlines never bothered me. Hardly noticed them at all.

Trojita

Wait how does the CFW work on the PSP-3000 and GO? On the PSP-2000 the CFW takes over as the OS completely, without needing to switch in and out of modes.

Grimmy

Banned
The PSP Go is seriously overrated. The form factor is too small, the L/R buttons are hard to use, and the d-pad is truly awful for fighting games. I have no idea why people on NeoGAF seem to praise the Go to high heavens.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wait how does the CFW work on the PSP-3000 and GO? On the PSP-2000 the CFW takes over as the OS completely, without needing to switch in and out of modes.

Basically all you need to know is that it works the same… It's not technically custom firmware. But you can do a semipermanent (reversable) install of the homebrew enabler. No need to run something each time you turn it on. It all just works the same. UMD rips, PS1 rips, home brew programs. Boots from XMB as normal.

I had the custom firmware experience and I was worried I couldn't have that on the 3000 or Go, but now I know you can. No worries.

Trojita

Basically all you need to know is that it works the same… It's not technically custom firmware. But you can do a semipermanent (reversable) install of the homebrew enabler. No need to run something each time you turn it on. It all just works the same. UMD rips, PS1 rips, home brew programs. Boots from XMB as normal.

I had the custom firmware experience and I was worried I couldn't have that on the 3000 or Go, but now I know you can. No worries.

Wait, so it is just something that is added on top of the firmware that can be undone at any time unlike the older CFW on the PSP-2000 which was a completely custom built firmware?

Special J

Banned
Wait, so it is just something that is added on top of the firmware that can be undone at any time unlike the older CFW on the PSP-2000 which was a completely custom built firmware?

the code is only run on memory so when the psp3000 is turned off it reverts back to original firmware. so you have to reenable the sploit each time.

imo not worth it at all, the interlacing is crap save your money for a new handheld.

ill_literate

Neo Member
I don't know if it's relevant now,
but since I'm being kind of nostalgic towards the psp (especially in comparison to the vita),
I recently did an extended test of the screens of all 3 models, pre go & E(street).
I have the latter 2 handhelds as well, but haven't included them in this comparison.

If there is enough interest I will do a comparison of any given model with the go and/or street model. For now I can say this in regards to those two models: the go has a smaller but better screen of the two (sharper & more vivid colors), and the E1000(street) has the worst TN panel I have ever experienced: when holding the handheld in a particular angle, the colors almost inverse and when playing any game it gets so bad you can't even make out what's happening on the screen anymore. Funny thing is: when you hold the E1000 upside down (so the thumbstick is on the right), you don't have this problem and the colors remain clear... If sony would have just put the TN panel the other way around it wouldn't have been much of a problem, but as for now, it's really really bad.

On to the comparison then, here's the imgur link to the comparison album:

http://imgur.com/a/TM4V2

Let me know what you think. I didn't focus on scanlines or interlacing since I didn't use any games for the comparison (which would make me have to buy the same game three times, could use demos though). Again, if there's enough interest I might look into doing that. Overall the results are: 2000 model is better at displaying true colors in the cold range, while the 3000 model is better at displaying colors in the warm range. 3000 also has a sharper image quality than the 2000 or 1000 model, but you might have to pay the price of the scanlines. About that real quick: I noticed that the scanlines appeared on still images as well (as opposed to the moving images that are said to induce them): just by tapping a loading screen while I was waiting I noticed that with every tap the scanlines appeared, which makes me inclined to think that not the images moving, but the system itself moving are causing the scanlines to appear: sort of altering the way the light from the led's reaches your eyes, apparently shifting towards the blue spectrum which makes that color stand out more (led colors are aligned horizontally on the 3000 model --> creating dark blue scanlines). Hope that cleared things out a bit.

Cheers!

x3sphere

had every PSP aside from the E1000, the Go definitely has the best screen.

I thought the 3000 screen was a huge downgrade, sure it had more 'pop' due to the wider color gamut but the scanlines are very noticeable in motion.

the Vita (OLED at least) destroys them all in screen quality.

Edit: Wow just realized how old this topic was, lol.

but since I'm being kind of nostalgic towards the psp (especially in comparison to the vita),
I recently did an extended test of the screens of all 3 models, pre go & E(street).
I have the latter 2 handhelds as well, but haven't included them in this comparison.

If there is enough interest I will do a comparison of any given model with the go and/or street model. For now I can say this in regards to those two models: the go has a smaller but better screen of the two (sharper & more vivid colors), and the E1000(street) has the worst TN panel I have ever experienced: when holding the handheld in a particular angle, the colors almost inverse and when playing any game it gets so bad you can't even make out what's happening on the screen anymore. Funny thing is: when you hold the E1000 upside down (so the thumbstick is on the right), you don't have this problem and the colors remain clear... If sony would have just put the TN panel the other way around it wouldn't have been much of a problem, but as for now, it's really really bad.

Let me know what you think. I didn't focus on scanlines or interlacing since I didn't use any games for the comparison (which would make me have to buy the same game three times, could use demos though). Again, if there's enough interest I might look into doing that. Overall the results are: 2000 model is better at displaying true colors in the cold range, while the 3000 model is better at displaying colors in the warm range. 3000 also has a sharper image quality than the 2000 or 1000 model, but you might have to pay the price of the scanlines. About that real quick: I noticed that the scanlines appeared on still images as well (as opposed to the moving images that are said to induce them): just by tapping a loading screen while I was waiting I noticed that with every tap the scanlines appeared, which makes me inclined to think that not the images moving, but the system itself moving are causing the scanlines to appear: sort of altering the way the light from the led's reaches your eyes, apparently shifting towards the blue spectrum which makes that color stand out more (led colors are aligned horizontally on the 3000 model --> creating dark blue scanlines). Hope that cleared things out a bit.

Cheers!

Might be a half decade old bump but this is as good a reason as any. Great post.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Cheers!

Very thorough comparison, threadworthy IMO.

3000 definitely comes out on top, unsurprisingly. I'd like to see comparisons between that and the Go. Doesn't necessarily have to be as thorough, but it seems the Go screen is pretty similar to the 3000 in terms of quality.

DPB

I can confirm the terrible viewing angles on the E1000, you can barely tilt the thing at all before the colour shifts. I wish I hadn't broken my 3000, though I do like that the E1000 isn't made from the usual horrible glossy plastic, it's matte.

Top Bottom