• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much can GTA:Online realistically be 'updated'?

cormack12

Gold Member
Rockstar have said that they are updating GTA V with an expanded and enhanced edition. Which will be for PS5/XSX I assume. We know this can be updated with those consoles as the baseline in terms of tech and capability.

But what will happen to GTA:Online? I assume this will still need to be updated but work as well on PS4/X1 - there is/was no crossplay between PS3/360 and PS4/X1 if I recall correctly. But can they can do that with the PS5/XSX given the small amount of shipped units? But maybe that's why they are only releasing after June, maybe they anticipated more units being shipped.

If that's true, then maybe they will offer the same limited character migration path from PS4 -> PS5.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It’s like transferring your character across Mass Effect games, except your character goes nowhere because it’s Groundhog Day.

As for GTAO, I don’t know too much about it but my first guess is visuals, second guess is performance. Mechanically I’m not sure what would have been missing, so maybe UI/QOL changes will be in there.

I wonder if they will try and get some sort of Fortnite-esque cross promotion set up to encourage people to get the third version of this game.

Kupfer

Biggest update for me would be a classic mode. Give me the GTA:O from the Ps360 era with heist content but without excessively exaggerated weapons, vehicles and gadgets. In addition, a clearer or more streamlined menu navigation and a better code for the networking to improve loading times.
Visually I'd love to see enhanced everything, textures, shadows/ lighting, vegetation, real time damage model like GTAIV, better characters, real time water and a more physics based movement like RDR2 has, maybe not that hardcore, but I'd always liked the noticable mass of characters and vehicles in GTA IV , RDR 1/2.
I didn't play GTA:O for like 2 or 3 years now because it became a playground for trolls and kiddies and it wasn't possible to have a nice free roaming session with friends, without being humiliated by jets, rocket bikes, tanks and whatever.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Biggest update for me would be a classic mode. Give me the GTA:O from the Ps360 era with heist content but without excessively exaggerated weapons, vehicles and gadgets. In addition, a clearer or more streamlined menu navigation and a better code for the networking to improve loading times.
Visually I'd love to see enhanced everything, textures, shadows/ lighting, vegetation, real time damage model like GTAIV, better characters, real time water and a more physics based movement like RDR2 has, maybe not that hardcore, but I'd always liked the noticable mass of characters and vehicles in GTA IV , RDR 1/2.
I didn't play GTA:O for like 2 or 3 years now because it became a playground for trolls and kiddies and it wasn't possible to have a nice free roaming session with friends, without being humiliated by jets, rocket bikes, tanks and whatever.

Yeah I think the jets and oppressors are way OP. I do like the MK II though because you can get the heist preps done quicker and solo. Nothing worse than Paleto Bay prep, then Sandy Shores, then Prison. Infuriating. I also think any business you're doing then auto aim should be disabled for everyone on the server. Passive mode is shite.

I'm hoping they do a next gen exclusive GTA:Online and you migrate your character upwards onto it.

Top Bottom