• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much credit card debt do you guys have right now?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How much of that cost was the bandaid and how much was it to administer it to the site of injury?
Knowing how government negotiates bids and supply costs, probably $29,950 for the bandaid, and $50 for a medical clerk to do the paperwork.

At my old companies, we sold to retailers and sometimes to provincial accounts (ie. hospitals).

The only accounts that were willing to buy from us at 100% regular price were small mom and pop wholesalers, and the government.

Even the retail account ranked probably 30th on our list (which nobody gave a shit about except the junior rep handling the account) would be smart enough to negotiate discounts.

That's why fees and taxes from government run places can be so high.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

A little over $1,000.

I remember the point where it was almost $15,000. Had to make A LOT of sacrifices to pay all that off in a reasonable amount of time.

Life pro tip: don’t do it. Never let yourself get above $1,000-$2,000 in debt if you can help it. Don’t use credit at all if you can help it, unless you have a plan to build credit by paying your balance in full each month.

Seriously, the interest will fucking kill you.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I only use my credit card for gas, and I pay it off immediately every time. That's it. It's just a back up that gives me free credit score monitoring. I don't consider it extra available money, ever.

Durask

I charge everything I possibly can to my 2% cashback card so I do have a sizeable balance each month, but I pay it off every month.

The only exceptions are some bills where they will fine you for using a credit card to pay off your bill ("convenience fee" my ass).

Have a friend who plays a lot with those 12 month interest free offers - borrows a lot of money this way and puts it in a bank then pays it off after 11 months. I think it is too much work for relatively small gain though.

$1500 or so

we buy a lot of shit online so the balances go up and down throughout the month. and could easily 0 them out via savings and such as needed

i'm new to the country and my credit didn't carry over the border with me, so i've had to start from scratch. buying a lot of shit via CC and paying it down has helped

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
How does that even work?
My credit card just charges to my bank account once a month, and my account is always covered.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'm at around $3000 remaining to pay off after two needed surgeries I've had over the past three years, as well as having had to replace my old car. It feels good to be on the tail end of my debts. :)

rykomatsu

No balance that accrues interest. Rewards are nice, so I tend to charge everything I can to my card.

The downside is, sometimes work reimbursement takes a while and I have to bite the bill out of my own pocket to prevent interest being charged.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Around $6,500

Have 2 basic cards with about a grand on each. A CareCredit cars I use for my pets, about $500 on that.

All are simple and I pay off pretty quick..

Accept BestBuy...
Holy FUCK do they smack you with Intrest if you dont pay it off FAST. Made like 3 big purchases on it like 2 years ago and wasnt fast enough to get them paid off.

NYCDrSM.jpg

Paying like $110 in intrest fees...
Monthly min is $150...I'm sending $250..

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyfox

Just noticed a few comments saying people pay their card off as soon as possible - don’t you guys have direct debit in the US? I get my bill and I review it but I don’t have to actually DO anything.

The credit card bill is paid automatically by taking it from my bank for whatever the amount is each month.

To answer the original question more clearly - although I have no outstanding debt on my credit card (ever) I do have a mortgage.

Porcile

My Japanese credit card is more like a delayed debit card so I have to pay it off no matter what. So it never accrues interest. About £60 on it right now.

My UK card has like £200 on it from my holiday, I'll pay that in a couple weeks when the bill is due. No interest on dat shit.

All in all, credits cards are awesome if you use them wisely.

Super Mario

Banned
It's always interesting to see all of the excuses of why their debt is so high, and why CCs are bad.

Thank you for paying interest so I can earn big rewards

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
£0

Never had and never will have a credit card.

The only thing I have on finance is my mortgage, because of course. If I can’t afford it, I don’t have it. Simple.

Tevious

Zero. I always auto-pay my cards and only use credit cards for online purchases. I just don't spend money that I don't have.

About 4 grand, plus student loans I've defaulted on and all kinds of other shit I haven't paid for and have settlements against me for.

But I make $15/hr, should have it paid off in no time!

Last edited:

Greedings

1000€

That’s just because I’m on holiday though and it’s easier and safer to use my credit card than anything else. I usually have like 400€ a month from groceries and general stuff. Again just because it’s easier.

I’ve never actually had “debt”. I mean that I’ve never not immediately paid everything off so I’ve never had to worry about the interest rate.

Haha apart from my student loan. That’s not real debt though 😱

Last edited:

Mistake

I used to have amazing credit after paying off a bunch of debt, after I was so relieved I didn’t touch my cards and they closed. Now my credit is back at 630 :( I thought good history would take care of it, but I guess not

I had a CC back when I was a student, but it got cancelled when I switched banks. I only used it to buy stuff online with it where they didn't accept PayPal.

Credit cards aren't as popular here in Europe as they seem to be in the US. I don't think there's any rewards programs, and the cards have a monthly fee, so for most people there's just no reason to have one.

Ornlu

Banned
How does that even work?
My credit card just charges to my bank account once a month, and my account is always covered.

If it's directly drawing from your account, then it is a credit/debit card. If it's a bill that you get in the mail and have to pay off, it's credit.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If it's directly drawing from your account, then it is a credit/debit card. If it's a bill that you get in the mail and have to pay off, it's credit.
I see. Makes sense.
Dont have or need that. New cars i buy are always on leasing though.

Ornlu

Banned
I see. Makes sense.
Dont have or need that. New cars i buy are always on leasing though.

Credit can be very useful if you need to float a larger expense for a short amount of time. I prefer just having the direct draw for most things, but having a line of credit available is very handy in an emergency. Say something unforeseen happens and you need to spend $5k today, but onjly have $3k in the bank. With just debit, you would not have the further $2k available.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Credit can be very useful if you need to float a larger expense for a short amount of time. I prefer just having the direct draw for most things, but having a line of credit available is very handy in an emergency. Say something unforeseen happens and you need to spend $5k today, but onjly have $3k in the bank. With just debit, you would not have the further $2k available.
Yeah I understand. The only reason I see myself borrowing money from a bank is when i buy a house.

I have a £13,000 student loan debt. But I'll probably never pay it back, due to me never getting a job good enough to require repayment :messenger_beaming:
I would rather earn more money and make the payments rather than make less money in order to avoid doing so.

I used to have amazing credit after paying off a bunch of debt, after I was so relieved I didn’t touch my cards and they closed. Now my credit is back at 630 :( I thought good history would take care of it, but I guess not
it's generally better for your credit history to have some kind of debt you're paying off on time each month rather than to try to pay it off in large chunks and have nothing.

it's pretty stupid but them's the rules and it matters when it's time to start looking at buying a home.

Ornlu

Banned
it's generally better for your credit history to have some kind of debt you're paying off on time each month rather than to try to pay it off in large chunks and have nothing.

it's pretty stupid but them's the rules and it matters when it's time to start looking at buying a home.

It makes sense if you think of the score as how "reliable" you are thought to be.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
$0. I pay it off every month. I learned my lesson about letting debt accrue when I was in college.

joombo

Banned
I don't have any. I took short term loan here recently to pay off all my credit card debts. That's convy, they give loans everyone even unemployed. And the whole process can be done within an hour.

Last edited:
My credit card companies probably pay me around 1000.00 per year because I know how to get the most out of my rewards programs and never pay an annual fee or interest.

Ornlu

Banned
I don't even know. It's not as bad as it was recently though.

Find out!

Figure out what you actually owe, and track it. It will become a natural incentive for you to save more/pay down debt. I've found that doing so and keeping up with it month by month can make a real difference in what you are willing to spend on, and helps lay out when and where you plan to use your money.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I pay them in full each month. I only use them for the bonuses and to keep my credit score high.

I was slipping pretty hard there two months ago. Had about 2600 across two cards. Paid off one, left with a little over a grand now. Gonna wipe that out this month and go back to buying my monthly groceries and paying it off.

Thabass

Find out!

Figure out what you actually owe, and track it. It will become a natural incentive for you to save more/pay down debt. I've found that doing so and keeping up with it month by month can make a real difference in what you are willing to spend on, and helps lay out when and where you plan to use your money.

Nah, I know how much. I've had to do a bunch of loans / balance transfers to wittle it down. The payments on the loans are rough, but I'm also getting help from family for my school loans. It's not impacting me too much.

None, because if you can't buy it in cash then maybe you shouldn't fucking have it. The only reason I have a credit card is because it's insanely difficult to build credit either way.

Top Bottom