• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much gameplay there is in 'Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Gameplay Demo'?

I re-watched the most recent "gameplay" demo for upcoming Spider-Man game on YouTube in 4k because we all know how shitty the bitrate is in live streams. Graphics look great but I noticed something strange. For a gameplay demo, there's very little actual gameplay included. And because I'm bored, I decided to run some numbers and analyze the bridge section from the clip.

Here's the breakdown:
2:42 - 4:03 - cinematic (82 seconds)
4:04 - 4:29 - gameplay (26 seconds)
4:30 - 4:40 - cinematic (11 seconds)
4:41 - 5:08 - gameplay (28 seconds)
5:09 - 5:36 - cinematic (26 seconds)
5:37 - 5:42 - gameplay (6 seconds)
5:43 - 6:20 - QTE cinematic (38 seconds) - square, triangle, R1
6:21 - 6:23 - gameplay (3 seconds)
6:24 - 7:12 - QTE cinematic (49 seconds) - square

To summarize:
  • In this short demo control is taken from you for a total of 4 times;
  • You are in complete control of the character 4 times, twice for a very short period of time (6 seconds / 3 seconds);
  • Cinematics where you are passively watching amount to around 44% of total time of this section;
  • If you include cinematics with QTE sections, total cinematic time is around 76.5%;
  • You control Spidey for ~23.5% of the time.

I know Sony is known for "cIneMaTiC eXpErIeNcEs" but I think they are pushing it too far. If I want to watch Spider-Man I will stream Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (best movie of 2018). It's just one demo but I think it's telling that Sony decided to show their game in this manner.

Let's discuss.

I'm alright with some cinematics in games, but cant stand them when they just randomly start from you walking mid point on a bridge or something. Very jarring and breaks immersion.
Same here. I don't even mind long-ass cinematics Hideo Kojima style. In Death Stranding you can literally seat and watch cinematic for 45 minutes but they are always inserted between hours-long, pure gameplay sections.

The way this piece of main-story mission is sliced in Spider-Man is just ridiculous. It's supposed to be a game, damnit!

Last edited:
There will be plenty of gameplay, Sony did something similar when showing Marvel SpiderMan but thats still just a part of the whole game

But of course tons of awesome cutscenes will be there too
Original trailer for first Spider-Man contained way more gameplay. Long fighting scenes where sliced by short cinematics to highlight enemies and for dramatic effect. There was also a long swinging section where you're 100% in control chasing the helicopter.

Maybe they just picked weak section for this newest trailer. I hope so.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's pretty standard for most clips I think. But as it's pretty much the same as Spidey except a couple of powers, we pretty much know how 90% of it will play.

It's an open world game, you can do hours of none stop "gameplay" without triggering scripted event's
We know that. But the meat and potatoes is in the main story. So let's focus on mission design.

I just hope that the mission showed in the trailer is not a sign of things to come.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Well, they want to make the game look good so they show all their cinematic stuff. Nothing unusual, movie trailers also show the best scenes.

martino

this is probably the end and of a mission most of it will give you more control (based on spiderman game)
you will have free roaming in NY
don't read too much into this demo when it comes to gameplay / cinematic for the whole game.

I re-watched the most recent "gameplay" demo for upcoming Spider-Man game on YouTube in 4k because we all know how shitty the bitrate is in live streams. Graphics look great but I noticed something strange. For a gameplay demo, there's very little actual gameplay included. And because I'm bored, I decided to run some numbers and analyze the bridge section from the clip.

Here's the breakdown:
2:42 - 4:03 - cinematic (82 seconds)
4:04 - 4:29 - gameplay (26 seconds)
4:30 - 4:40 - cinematic (11 seconds)
4:41 - 5:08 - gameplay (28 seconds)
5:09 - 5:36 - cinematic (26 seconds)
5:37 - 5:42 - gameplay (6 seconds)
5:43 - 6:20 - QTE cinematic (38 seconds) - square, triangle, R1
6:21 - 6:23 - gameplay (3 seconds)
6:24 - 7:12 - QTE cinematic (49 seconds) - square

To summarize:
  • In this short demo control is taken from you for a total of 4 times;
  • You are in complete control of the character 4 times, twice for a very short period of time (6 seconds / 3 seconds);
  • Cinematics where you are passively watching amount to around 44% of total time of this section;
  • If you include cinematics with QTE sections, total cinematic time is around 76.5%;
  • You control Spidey for ~23.5% of the time.

I know Sony is known for "cIneMaTiC eXpErIeNcEs" but I think they are pushing it too far. If I want to watch Spider-Man I will stream Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (best movie of 2018). It's just one demo but I think it's telling that Sony decided to show their game in this manner.

Let's discuss.

Its the playstation advantage way

Spiderman was a good game but those QTEs and boring drama cinematics dragged it down for my tastes even more than the repetitive fetch tasks and boring "stealth" miles sections.

Since you pay attention to detail, for an extra laugh
Go watch DF's "reaction" video 😄

For 100% of the time they were watching spiderman cinematics they were constantly praising them.

Then move to COD, where from the beginning of the airplane chase scene they were bitcin' about "heavily scripted"

Spiderman bridge scene =omg insomniac are gods

COD plane scene =meh another heavily scripted scene, but I guess ok I like the r/c buggy

And out of the two, COD was the one that was waaay more "interactive"

...the more you know

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes, it's a QTE-heavy demo, just like the original Spidey PS4 demo was. The actual game did not have that many QTE-heavy sequences, and neither will this.

But sure, I'd also have liked seeing more gameplay. Some swinging around and such.

cormack12

Gold Member
Its the playstation advantage way

Spiderman was a good game but those QTEs and boring drama cinematics dragged it down for my tastes even more than the repetitive fetch tasks and boring "stealth" miles sections.

The Miles missions were way more interesting than the MJ missions. The thing that soured me were the sable outposts. They were just obnoxious filler. I get the random events like helping civilans and even the research stations weren't so bad. But they really just felt like they had stuck DUP checkpoints in from Infamous:SS

The Miles missions were way more interesting than the MJ missions. The thing that soured me were the sable outposts. They were just obnoxious filler. I get the random events like helping civilans and even the research stations weren't so bad. But they really just felt like they had stuck DUP checkpoints in from Infamous:SS
Can't disagree with you. After a certain point, what finally strikes you as "not good" has to do with the order you played the game.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Can't disagree with you. After a certain point, what finally strikes you as "not good" has to do with the order you played the game.

I was okay with most of the filler content in the main game but I couldn't force myself to 100% everything in the DLC. As much as I liked Spider Man, I might pass on Miles Morales or what for a sale. I'm sure the web swinging will be divine and it will have a good story, I just don't know if I'm ready for another rodeo.

cormack12

Gold Member
I was okay with most of the filler content in the main game but I couldn't force myself to 100% everything in the DLC. As much as I liked Spider Man, I might pass on Miles Morales or what for a sale. I'm sure the web swinging will be divine and it will have a good story, I just don't know if I'm ready for another rodeo.

That's kind of how I feel as well. Spidey was a decent game, but it's gonna be more of the same gameplay wise with a couple of new powers but it's not enough to wanna do a full game of it again.

True. I didn't finish the DLC either.
And this is one of the reasons that I am pissed at sony:
Having to re-pay 80 euros (thats $95) to be able to finish on ps5 what I already payed for.
Compare this to what microsoft is doing, and sony gets no favors out of me.

bender

What time is it?
That's kind of how I feel as well. Spidey was a decent game, but it's gonna be more of the same gameplay wise with a couple of new powers but it's not enough to wanna do a full game of it again.

And it's a stupid complaint on my part, but it's the same city which is going to kill some of the "OMG swinging is amazing" feeling from the predecessor.

Having to re-pay 80 euros (thats $95) to be able to finish on ps5 what I already payed for.

I'd be shocked if there weren't an upgrade path for the PS4 version and I'd be surprised if it costs $20 (PS5 is the full version, not an upgrade).

Last edited:
And it's a stupid complaint on my part, but it's the same city which is going to kill some of the "OMG swinging is amazing" feeling from the predecessor.

I'd be shocked if there weren't an upgrade path for the PS4 version and I'd be surprised if it costs $20 (PS5 is the full version, not an upgrade).
They could put their time in enhancing the gameplay, like make buildings not these boxes that you can enter only specific and when story permits, enhance battle, etc, buttttttt instead they did new impressive cinematics, new "technology in mo-cap" for the cutscenes etc.

There isn't an update path. Yesterday dark1x confirmed it. Insomniac is getting quite some flak on their twitter about it, so maybe that forces their hand.
But in any case, even if this happens at some point, it does not change their intentions

bender

What time is it?

Am I reading this tweet wrong?

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I was disappointed by this showing.

I loved the first game but I found this showing to be a bit boring due to how similar everything looked. I knew going in that it would be mostly more of the same and I thought I'd be fine with that but this just didn't excite me at all.

I'm surprised they didn't have a webslinging section or montage as that's easily the best part of the first game.

The news that this is coming to PS4 also made me realise that I don't need PS5 day one.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Not much, but every game with setpieces is the same.

It's an open world, you have plenty to play during majority of the game, this is not uncharted 4.

I think the ultra easy and boring stealth sections in the first one are far more disturbing than setpieces with cinematics.

Let's just hope they obliterate that shit from morales.

I'm honestly more disturbed by morales bratty voice during action scenes:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
TBH I had the same thought when watching the Stream. Seems like a bit of fighting against the Purple Dildo Crew and after that QTEs galore . Still people seem to love it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AngelicLeafyCarpenterant-size_restricted.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
Same thought here.

If I recall correctly though, the original Spider-Man had some very cinematic portions, but ultimately had a lot of satisfying gameplay, so there’s probably not too much to worry about.

Plus, it looks like the opener. Gamers that don’t know how to play yet + wanting to go for that big, impressive set-piece to start the story, does make a certain amount of sense.

Raonak

Banned
We already know what spiderman plays like, so it's not really a big deal. they showed combat enhancements and a cool looking sequence.

Would've liked to see some swinging, but not too worried people are already sold on whether they'll get this game.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Xbots out in full force to make a problem where none exists. The game looks great and we've seen more gameplay running on PS5 than any other next gen console.

why have to be an Xbot to criticise something?

spiderman is my fave PS4 game by a mile but that trailer didn’t show enough gameplay. We want the game showing off the PS5 and show how good gameplay can be but that was a let down. I am sure that it’s gonna look and play as good as the first one but they need to show it off better with more gameplay

mejin

This demo just sold PS5 as much as Demons Souls, but let's pretend this a serious thread.

The announcement trailer had some people talking about it wasn't real time, but a CG or in engine kind of crap. This demo just show some of the scenes of the announcement trailer and that everything was real. Just a set piece that put the recent Avengers and Craig to shame, for example.

Top Bottom