• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much gameplay there is in 'Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales - Gameplay Demo'?

nowhat

We know that. But the meat and potatoes is in the main story. So let's focus on mission design.
So like, did you play the original game? Nothing that was shown was out of place in terms of cinematics/QTE sections vs actual gameplay, it's just a matter of where you sample the game.

There was so much more gameplay than in the AC: Valhalla "gameplay" reveal. Am I to be worried that there will be absolutely no gameplay in that game? No? Didn't think so.

So like, did you play the original game? Nothing that was shown was out of place in terms of cinematics/QTE sections vs actual gameplay, it's just a matter of where you sample the game.

There was so much more gameplay than in the AC: Valhalla "gameplay" reveal. Am I to be worried that there will be absolutely no gameplay in that game? No? Didn't think so.
I played the original. It's the only game that I 100% and platinumed on PlayStation, ever. It's my favorite Sony exclusive this gen and it's the only reason why I care enough to start this thread.

And I don't remember it being so full of interruptions where a long ass cut-scene takes away control from you only to give it back for 5 seconds and back to cut-scene again.

This is the mission they decided to showcase. This and a walking / talking segment. I hope the final game be more like the original (minus the sneaky, sneaky missions, these can go) and less than this bombastic trailer.

Yes, there was more gameplay in Miles Morales trailer than in Assassin's Creed "gameplay reveal". A total of 63 seconds of gameplay, to be specific. Splendid.

-Arcadia-

Banned
why have to be an Xbot to criticise something?

spiderman is my fave PS4 game by a mile but that trailer didn’t show enough gameplay. We want the game showing off the PS5 and show how good gameplay can be but that was a let down. I am sure that it’s gonna look and play as good as the first one but they need to show it off better with more gameplay

I really wanted to see web-slinging through the city, in particular. It’s cross-gen, but I’m genuinely curious if Insomniac was able to up the speed and intensity due to the SSD.

But this was fine, even with the criticisms. More gameplay than most unveils these days. :messenger_confused:

It was a 40 min event, of course they wouldn’t show 10 mins of Miles just swinging around NY. We will probably see some previews for this in the coming weeks
You would hope so. The game is coming out if 2 months. I'm mostly interested in compression between PS4 and PS5.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
That's what caught my attention as well, how little actual gameplay was within that gameplay, the question "am I playing the game or is the game playing me" was often brought by the end of PS360 era due to how much the games were filled with scripts, cut-scenes, QTE and so on, PS4/XB1 games have rebalanced the gameplay/cinematics proportions with open-world design, but seems like this game is pushing the envelope once again, and it is an open-world title... Maybe it's just that particular part of the game, but I have a feeling that's exactly how the structure of the entire game will look like.

I remember this exact complaint from the first Spiderman game, from an E3 trailer.
Turns out, that on-rails sequence was a TINY part of the game and the actual game had very little hand-holding in actual gameplay.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I really wanted to see web-slinging through the city, in particular. It’s cross-gen, but I’m genuinely curious if Insomniac was able to up the speed and intensity due to the SSD.

But this was fine, even with the criticisms. More gameplay than most unveils these days. :messenger_confused:
I think if they were to up the speed of the web-slinging there would need to be a much bigger city. the size of the city in the last Spiderman game would be traversed to quickly if that were the case

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think if they were to up the speed of the web-slinging there would need to be a much bigger city. the size of the city in the last Spiderman game would be traversed to quickly if that were the case

True. Maybe just a reasonable amount?

Yeah, I'll take a traditional gameplay demo over a cinematic gameplay demo any day of the week. If you want to show cutscenes, put them in a new trailer, but just calling it a "gameplay demo" is misleading. You're not demonstrating gameplay, but cutscenes and gameplay. They want to continue demonstrating how modern games look like movies, as if to say games should be taken as seriously as movies, but it is nothing new and quite frankly getting boring to see.

I am certain that, if given the choice, most gamers would rather see 7 minutes of gameplay instead of a mixture of gameplay and cutscenes.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Lame, thats how the actual game played. Don't worry you will be swinging around the city just like in the previous game.

If anyone wants to attack the game, you can simply point out that its going to launch on PS4 as well and if this game ran 1080P 30 FPS you could pass it off as a PS4 game. Even the RT is barely noticeable unless some tech head is really pointing it out, but you could just use other tricks and techniques and get close enough that a noob wouldn't know.

I thought Spiderman was already a great looking game on base PS4. It probably looked even better on Pro (never had a chance to try it). The PS5 version isn't blowing me away and having more pedestrians or slightly better LOD wasn't something that I was felt I ever needed in the base game.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
True. Maybe just a reasonable amount?
I think the web-slinging speed was fine, I would like to see less texture streaming in the distance. very noticeable at times. The fist game is perfection to me so a slight upgrade in certain graphical areas would be great and less boring side missions

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyone watch the recent DF x Eurogamer thing where when Leadbetter was talking about what he'd heard from devs about the difference between developing on the new Xbox versus PS5, the big difference was that PS5 uses the exact same SDK's and environment as PS4, allowing them to "build out" from the base PS4 config. Devs in his word were unanimously happy with how easy it made the process, whereas some Xbox devs were unhappy that they had to migrate from the legacy XDK environment, to a new and all-encompassing GDK which covers every Xbox model since the One, to PC.

I re-watched the most recent "gameplay" demo for upcoming Spider-Man game on YouTube in 4k because we all know how shitty the bitrate is in live streams. Graphics look great but I noticed something strange. For a gameplay demo, there's very little actual gameplay included. And because I'm bored, I decided to run some numbers and analyze the bridge section from the clip.

Here's the breakdown:
2:42 - 4:03 - cinematic (82 seconds)
4:04 - 4:29 - gameplay (26 seconds)
4:30 - 4:40 - cinematic (11 seconds)
4:41 - 5:08 - gameplay (28 seconds)
5:09 - 5:36 - cinematic (26 seconds)
5:37 - 5:42 - gameplay (6 seconds)
5:43 - 6:20 - QTE cinematic (38 seconds) - square, triangle, R1
6:21 - 6:23 - gameplay (3 seconds)
6:24 - 7:12 - QTE cinematic (49 seconds) - square

To summarize:
  • In this short demo control is taken from you for a total of 4 times;
  • You are in complete control of the character 4 times, twice for a very short period of time (6 seconds / 3 seconds);
  • Cinematics where you are passively watching amount to around 44% of total time of this section;
  • If you include cinematics with QTE sections, total cinematic time is around 76.5%;
  • You control Spidey for ~23.5% of the time.

I know Sony is known for "cIneMaTiC eXpErIeNcEs" but I think they are pushing it too far. If I want to watch Spider-Man I will stream Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (best movie of 2018). It's just one demo but I think it's telling that Sony decided to show their game in this manner.

Let's discuss.

Instead of counting seconds you should use seconds to use logic:

Better to show this "cinematic" demo with some story/characters

Better to show some dude wanking around rooftops looking for collectables etc

?

I dont expect that full game is cinematics every other minute, this demo have nothing to do with that

Last edited:
To be honest, that demo put me off the game, and I'm now not getting it at the price offered, even though there is nothing else for me to get at launch. I'm planning to get GoT to play instead, once it's confirmed that works (I know, I know, vague unquoted assertions of 99% etc, but after 'we believe in generations' I'm waiting for independent confirmation, or at least someone willing to be quoted). If not I'll content myself with AC Valhalla, maybe Watch Dogs Legion and definitely Cyberpunk on the Series X.

I don't really care for Miles, Spider-Man is Peter Parker to me, and I didn't really like his sections of the first game. I will definitely get it later when it's cheap, I did complete Spidey and all 3 DLCs, but it just looks like more of the same and it's a little played out for me...

Last edited:

Vick

We have reached a new level of delusional concern trolling.
Spiderman 2018's cutscenes were on point, you had control for 95% of the game, why would you think this is any different?
Jeez.
You make it sound like this is MGS4 or some shit, come on.

cringe
For real dude, what the ever loving fuck are some of the responses in here? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Isn't this an open world game?
A few cinematic set pieces won't take away from the fact that most of your time will be spent swinging around a big city.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I re-watched the most recent "gameplay" demo for upcoming Spider-Man game on YouTube in 4k because we all know how shitty the bitrate is in live streams. Graphics look great but I noticed something strange. For a gameplay demo, there's very little actual gameplay included. And because I'm bored, I decided to run some numbers and analyze the bridge section from the clip.

Here's the breakdown:

To summarize:
  • You are in complete control of the character 4 times, twice for a very short period of time (6 seconds / 3 seconds);
  • Cinematics where you are passively watching amount to around 44% of total time of this section;
  • If you include cinematics with QTE sections, total cinematic time is around 76.5%;

I know Sony is known for "cIneMaTiC eXpErIeNcEs" but I think they are pushing it too far. If I want to watch Spider-Man I will stream Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (best movie of 2018). It's just one demo but I think it's telling that Sony decided to show their game in this manner.

Let's discuss.

You're basically looking at the equivalent of level 1 in the first game. Lots of cutscenes, and QTEs mixed in with gameplay. Or like the helicopter part in the first game.

I was surprised to see heavy QTE segments in a 2020 game tbh

If you ever played the original you would know that QTEs are pretty common. No idea why your surprised that Miles Morales has them. And I'm willing to bet that Spiderman 2 will have them as well.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Loved the way it looked, there will be hours of swinging gameplay for you to do in the game, enjoy.

Set pieces looked Fab better than the avengers shit i saw in the cinema.

Last edited:
Looked like the first one but more neony, lol. I imagine it will follow the same formula of the game it's based off of. There will be plenty of gameplay and endless car chase/mugging/fight sequences. I just hope they remove the stupid stealth stuff out of it. Also, the first game had a better than expected story, so hopefully they can keep that trend as well. I loved the first game I just hope they fix some of the things that detracted from it.

Hold up a minute. So there are 12 minutes of QTE cinematics in the entire first game but there's like a minute and half in the 5 minute bridge section in Miles Morales?

Maybe they indeed decided to showcase the least playable part for this "gameplay" demo.

Last edited:
Hold up a minute. So there are 12 minutes of QTE cinematics in the entire first game but there's like a minute and half in the 5 minute bridge section in Miles Morales?

Maybe they indeed decided to showcase the least playable part for this "gameplay" demo.

Actually alot of the QTEs are repeated alot in the original. Like everytime you stop bank robbers in a vehicle for example. Then there's the hostage rescue ones. It's all there in the video.

Actually alot of the QTEs are repeated alot in the original. Like everytime you stop bank robbers in a vehicle for example. Then there's the hostage rescue ones. It's all there in the video.
I know, but that's a side activity. I don't mind it there to be honest. I want the main story missions to offer more control and player expression that what was showed in the newest trailer, that's it.

I know, but that's a side activity. I don't mind it there to be honest. I want the main story missions to offer more control and player expression that what was showed in the newest trailer, that's it.

You need QTEs for extremely cinematic moments. If you don't like that kind of thing then maybe Spiderman isn't for you.

You honestly can't tell me you can do this kind of stuff with regular gameplay.

Last edited:

Calverz

If you ever played the original you would know that QTEs are pretty common. No idea why your surprised that Miles Morales has them. And I'm willing to bet that Spiderman 2 will have them as well.

I never played the original.

You need QTEs for extremely cinematic moments. If you don't like that kind of thing then maybe Spiderman isn't for you.

You honestly can't tell me you can do this kind of stuff with regular gameplay.

I 100% the original game. I said it already in this thread, it's my favorite Sony game on PS4. That QTE section from the clip you posted is rather short (20 seconds or so) and what follows is a fully interactive swing-chase after helicopter through Manhattan. It's awesome because you're in control for the majority of the time.

If you look at the mission from the new trailer, it's the complete opposite.

I 100% the original game. I said it already in this thread, it's my favorite Sony game on PS4. That QTE section from the clip you posted is rather short (20 seconds or so) and what follows is a fully interactive swing-chase after helicopter through Manhattan. It's awesome because you're in control for the majority of the time.

If you look at the mission from the new trailer, it's the complete opposite.

Your not expecting to be 5 hours of QTEs just from that trailer right?

Your not expecting to be 5 hours of QTEs just from that trailer right?
No. But I want to play the game. Not watch it unfold. This is just one mission. We will see in 2 months.

If anything, I think it's funny that Sony decided to release a "GAMEPLAY" trailer where there's little to none gameplay.

Punto final.

Nickolaidas

Here's the breakdown:

To summarize:

Let's discuss.

This is the exact same complaints people were making about the first Spider-Man game due to watching a trailer which was focused heavily on cutscenes. Was hyperbole then, is hyperbole now.

Top Bottom