• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how much of an improvement is the Series X/S controller over the XB1 pad?

teezzy

Banned
I love the Xbox One pad. My favorite controller so far actually

In fact, I own three - red, blue, and green.

Don't own a Series X or S yet, but likely eventually will. I play on PC mainly, so no rush to upgrade the living room "for when friends are over" set up any time soon

I know the new controller is somewhat smaller, has a different d-pad, and I think a share button or some crap

otherwise it's pretty much the same, i gather

as a PC player who does use a controller for some games

Should I be seeking one of these bad boys out?

What say you , GAF? How's that new d-pad? Will it work with my Xbox One PC USB dongle thing?

twarren_xboxseriesxcontroller_VLS_3616_2_4.jpg

Thanks nerds

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The d-pad is better.
If you have smaller hands it likely fits better, if bigger a bit worse
The new anniversary version with grips is nice
The buttons are annoyingly louder
It's very responsive overall
It's an evolution from the one, but not a revolution
Yes I think it will work with your USB pc thing.

Fredrik

I barely even think about the differences but it has a bit more distinct dpad, nicer grip, the screenshot/video button is nice and I didn’t know how much I liked it until they I got the Series 2 Elite where it’s missing.
Overall it’s great but so was the XB1 controller.

teezzy

Banned
I barely even think about the differences but it has a bit more distinct dpad, nicer grip, the screenshot/video button is nice and I didn’t know how much I liked it until they I got the Series 2 Elite where it’s missing.
Overall it’s great but so was the XB1 controller.

Series 2 Elite eh?

Can you tell me more? $160 for a controller seems a lot. I dont think i wanna swap out components and adjust thumbsticks and all that fuss

🤔

Fredrik

Series 2 Elite eh?

Can you tell me more? $160 for a controller seems a lot. I dont think i wanna swap out components and adjust thumbsticks and all that fuss

🤔

pkAwEfU.jpg

l03SyF9.jpg

UZFa8Tc.jpg

It’s not worth the money but it’s the best console controller I’ve ever tried, minus the lacking screenshot button. It’s not about swapping stuff out, it’s the material, quality, weight, settings, case with included charging dock, etc. I can’t go back. And that makes me sad because Xbox controllers will be much more expensive for me from now on. 😐

Calverz

Series x/s controller is an improvement. By far. I prefer it much more than the xb1 version. So much in fact, I cancelled my master chief elite 2 controller because that’s based on the xb1 pad. I’m waiting for elite 3 which will no doubt be based on the series x controller. The big difference for me is the grips on the back, the dpad, the bumpers, grips on the triggers and most of all the size. The size is slightly smaller but makes a big difference. Best controller on the market imo. And I own everything.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I love the Xbox One pad. My favorite controller so far actually

In fact, I own three - red, blue, and green.

Don't own a Series X or S yet, but likely eventually will. I play on PC mainly, so no rush to upgrade the living room "for when friends are over" set up any time soon

I know the new controller is somewhat smaller, has a different d-pad, and I think a share button or some crap

otherwise it's pretty much the same, i gather

as a PC player who does use a controller for some games

Should I be seeking one of these bad boys out?

What say you , GAF? How's that new d-pad? Will it work with my Xbox One PC USB dongle thing?

twarren_xboxseriesxcontroller_VLS_3616_2_4.jpg

Thanks nerds

Aside from feeling smaller compared to the Xbox 360 one, again it “feels” smaller to me, and compared to the Xbox One version I think the materials seems a bit more premium, but the DPad is a league beyond. It is very noisy, but it is now one of the best DPad’s out there IMHO.
Face buttons, it might be more of a lottery maybe, but it seems like you would need to press them more firmly than before to ensure that it registers (light tap might fee like it should register but sometimes it does not).

Last edited:

Fredrik

arent those fancy Elite controllers prone to issues?
Not sure, I haven’t experienced anything yet. But as I said, it’s not worth the money, the XB1 and Series controller was already my favorite controllers, the Elite really just made things more awesome (and expensive)

Qc of elite series 2 is dogshit , it's probably the best controller ever made with the worst quality issues ever had 3 and all 3 had different problems
On the main question , the series x pad is miles better than xb1 pad the triggers , the grips , the d pad is on another lvl

Rykan

In terms of shape, feel and size, it is perfection. The only downsides of the controller is that the button presses are fairly loud and it lacks the same features that the dual sense has.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If money is no object, just get an elite 2 someplace with a good warranty. Hands down the best controller, quality, comfort, adjustability.........

RPS37

I’ve purchased 2 elite series 2 controllers and both had to be sent in for issues.
One the a button wouldn’t work all the time, the second had stick drift. Had to pay to repair the second one.
Still wouldn’t use any other controller though 😅

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its better then I expected.

The improvements

• Nice textured grip, is a lot better
  • It fits into your hands better thanks to its smaller size
  • The rumble is better, its no daulsense but they have a noticeable improvement

Robochobo

After x360 pad... I hate the fucking Xbox One pads with a passion. Loose sticks only get worse overtime.

Thankfully there is Series 2 Elite... you can tighten the sticks to 360 level resistance.
I slightly agree with this. I'm not exactly sure if it's the sticks or deadzones themselves but it's never felt as good aim wise as the 360 controller. This is coming from someone ranked 600 and 3000 in MW3 and BO3 respectively on the leaderboards with over 2 months of in game match time combined.

They do feel great to use, and are far better for platforming games.

reksveks

The d-pad is better.
If you have smaller hands it likely fits better, if bigger a bit worse
The new anniversary version with grips is nice
The buttons are annoyingly louder
It's very responsive overall
It's an evolution from the one, but not a revolution
Yes I think it will work with your USB pc thing.
Hit all the points really.

The one thing i also like is the density of the device makes it feel slightly more premium/well-built

Tschumi

There is no difference.

Differently placed and designed textures, and a very click'y d-pad.

That's my take at least, of course someone will tell me I'm wrong...

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

After x360 pad... I hate the fucking Xbox One pads with a passion. Loose sticks only get worse overtime.

Thankfully there is Series 2 Elite... you can tighten the sticks to 360 level resistance.
Am I the only one who struggles with how easy then stick push is? Particularly finding it in Halo with hitting melee when I'm in a dogfight

Fredrik

Qc of elite series 2 is dogshit , it's probably the best controller ever made with the worst quality issues ever had 3 and all 3 had different problems
I’ve purchased 2 elite series 2 controllers and both had to be sent in for issues.
One the a button wouldn’t work all the time, the second had stick drift. Had to pay to repair the second one.
Still wouldn’t use any other controller though 😅
😧
No problems at all with my Halo controller… yet
I Hope Please GIF

The feeling of quality is unmatched. I don’t want to use anything else. Please don’t break!

Dream-Knife

Banned
Nice back texture, slightly different shape, bumper buttons don't feel loose, d pad is much better.

Going back to an xb1 controller after using a series makes you think it was some cheap knockoff.

That being said I wouldn't spend $60 or however much they cost to upgrade over a functional xb1 controller.

And pay $160 for a controller....and the Series 2 Elite is not without faults.

Last edited:

Excess

After reading all these threads about people's controllers breaking at different times and in different ways, there's no better phrase to describe quality than, "Your mileage may vary."

teezzy

Banned
Nice back texture, slightly different shape, bumper buttons don't feel loose, d pad is much better.

Going back to an xb1 controller after using a series makes you think it was some cheap knockoff.

That being said I wouldn't spend $60 or however much they cost to upgrade over a functional xb1 controller.

Yeah, I might just find a clean pre-owned and wipe it down after i get it

the d-pad is like the one thing i wish were just a little better on the xbox one pad i use. it's fine but i'd like it a little... larger?

the controller i use already has rubber texture on the back of the grips, it's the 'Sport Red' model

210537774.jpeg

xbox-1157737.jpeg

NinjaBoiX

I wanted to get an elite controller as a second pad when they were on sale for £65 at Amazon, but am I fuck paying £150 for one.

Half the price of the Series S that comes with a controller? No chance…

Mr.ODST

Prefer my Series S controller but everyone raved on about Elite Series 2 so I got the Halo Infinite one but I cant get used to the loose analog sticks but I can see why people love it, the weight and customisation to fit your mood including paddles will improve my game I just have to get used to it.

G-DannY

I have Elite 1 since launch.

need to fix it myself a lot, and take care of it, and mod it to make it live this longer, but apart from a tiny bit of sitck drift on the right (deadzone at 6 in Infinite is perfectly still), it is still my number one choice.

Looking at my Series X controller tough, having an Elite with that improvements would be superb right now, but expense is not worth the return for me ATM.

Tempted by the Halo Elite 2, but I think I'm waiting for the 3...

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Prefer my Series S controller but everyone raved on about Elite Series 2 so I got the Halo Infinite one but I cant get used to the loose analog sticks but I can see why people love it, the weight and customisation to fit your mood including paddles will improve my game I just have to get used to it.

You can tighten the sticks with the included tool.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You can tighten the analogue stick tension?

teezzy

Banned
Yes, yes they are. I'm on my third right now. Elite 1 black, Elite 1 white and now Elite 2 Halo Infinite. But I'm never going back to paddle-less gaming. That's a big no-no.

XCHNbJg.jpg

yeah before i got my xbox i was one of the Steam controller defenders

Loved that thing it had back paddles and gyro

havent touched it in years though, i cant lie

Chukhopops

It has the absolute best dpad, it even beats the Switch Lite for that. If you play games that use mostly dpad like fighters or 2D platformers then there’s no coming back after trying it.

Grip on the triggers is another difference that makes it difficult to go back or use other controllers.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
D-pad is probably the best ever since the Mega Drive/Saturn
Grip is a nice touch (no pun intended)
USB-C?!

Not a lot, but it was good before

Kev Kev

😧
No problems at all with my Halo controller… yet
I Hope Please GIF

The feeling of quality is unmatched. I don’t want to use anything else. Please don’t break!
same, i love it.

however, my first one got stick drift after 11 months of use. ive never had a controller that experienced stick drift in my life, until this one. i take care of my stuff, dont drop it and i dont play game aggressively lol. it just happened (its an industry wide issues atm). they sent me a free one literally within 3 days so i coudnt be happier about the responsiveness. now im just hoping my new one doesnt break or get any stick drift issues 🤞

S0ULZB0URNE

pkAwEfU.jpg

l03SyF9.jpg

UZFa8Tc.jpg

It’s not worth the money but it’s the best console controller I’ve ever tried, minus the lacking screenshot button. It’s not about swapping stuff out, it’s the material, quality, weight, settings, case with included charging dock, etc. I can’t go back. And that makes me sad because Xbox controllers will be much more expensive for me from now on. 😐
I am hard

GriffinCorp

I loved the Xbox One controller but the Series X controller has improved. I love the smaller size, I was on the fence but its an improvement. I like the textured grips that Microsoft has started to use on their controllers.

Now for the Series Elite 2 controllers - I think I’m ready to make the jump and spend the cash. I think Xbox has the best controller now, so I want to see what these paddles are all about.

Question: Is the Series X and the series elite 2 controllers the same size? I’m hoping so and I want that Halo controller so bad right now.

Top Bottom