• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much prettier is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition? [Preview]

UberTag

And the beautiful, shiny, clean, styled hair in both pics makes sense?
I'm disappointed Square Enix didn't go the obvious route and hook up with a shampoo/conditioner company for some sweet product placement.

Just look how AMAZING Lara's hair looks. It still looks radiant even after traipsing through a grimy cave filled with mud, blood and raw sewage. No split ends or anything.

What woman wouldn't want to use hair care products that could pull that off?

The hair though...again...looks far better on the PC version. I do prefer the skin tone on the rebuild, but less blood doesn't make sense due to what you just climbed out of.

I don't know, hair looks pretty good in both (I'd need to see it in motion though), but I still have to laugh at the "Pantene Pro V" hair shine. I should start using blood and dirt as a conditioner if the results are that good! :)

Most likely touched up...although, they're also only 720p...maybe they're getting Ryse level of quality...(doubt it...but who knows). It IS however a direct shot from the game...because I took a shot at almost the same time.

Here's 720p on the PC (TOP) vs the new "screenshot" (BOTTOM).

http://i.minus.com/ivr4uvhbDZUCd.jpg

They definitely re-did the lighting...and the skin/blood textures. That rebar looks like crap no matter the hardware...lol....sort of ruins the picture. Tons more blood on the PC build.

The hair on the PC (THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL SCREENSHOT I TOOK) is MUCH better looking still.

As for everything else...well they just sort of changed it. The bow difference may just be due to "upgrades"..also my Lara shot was taken a bit earlier in the scene...so she's in the middle of squinting/blinking...lol.

The hair though...again...looks far better on the PC version. I do prefer the skin tone on the rebuild, but less blood doesn't make sense due to what you just climbed out of.

Edit**

Here's what you just climbed out of (and were swimming in up to your nose)...that's why the screenshot on PC makes sense and the new build doesn't...honestly.

http://i.minus.com/ibztpfn3q8Rvei.jpg

Both of these are scaled to 720p direct captures from my PC too.
Great comparison, but while the hair tech is neat, it still looks completely ridiculous in both versions. Why would her hair be all silky smooth like it was freshly shampooed after crawling through a river of blood? Or even outside where it's pouring rain almost constantly?

darkpower

Banned
I love how some people are trying to find reasons to hate on this.

"60 dollars is too steep"
"60 FPS or else!"
"Story/gameplay sucked anyway"

It's fine if you really didn't like the game, but the absurd reasons being given to why you would rather swallow a gallon of Drano than play this game again (without any basis on why it matters THAT much) is astounding to me! If you don't want to buy it, then don't buy it. But trying to downplay how much this isn't just a phone-in port is only going to make us want to buy it just to spite the people who just want to complain about everything (seriously, some people are just trying to throw everything at the wall hoping something sticks the way they change their reasons about disliking this decision)!

For their faults (Final Fantasy and the YouTube/copyright BS they have done a lot of lately), SE has done a good job with their western made games. I don't see why they couldn't continue to show how much they care about their games by making an upgraded version that are converting people into at least being curious about it.

shandy706

And the beautiful, shiny, clean, styled hair in both pics makes sense?

Well no..haha, I didn't say it did though. Since it's the same in both..guess there's no reason to call it out :).

Great comparison, but while the hair tech is neat, it still looks completely ridiculous in both versions. Why would her hair be all silky smooth like it was freshly shampooed after crawling through a river of blood? Or even outside where it's pouring rain almost constantly?

Thanks

I agree completely...as the other poster pointed out too. In reality it should be matted and clumped together on her head and shoulders.

In the two pics it is purty hair vs more angular and polygonal purty hair though. LOL

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's a shame they felt the need to shove TressFX in there. It's basically going to kill any chance the game had at a stable framerate and the tradeoff is an effect that's mostly a distraction.

This looks like a pastgen game, actually. Sure, not PS360 kinds of pastgen, but still pastgen.

the hair is really beautiful in motion bro. The environments, lighting, shadowing etc were all last gen but the hair made it next gen.

Don't go by the screens too much

puzl

Banned
I loved the game when I played it on the PC. Beautiful looking and amazingly responsive at 60fps. I think the lighting in particular looks very nice on this new PS4/XB1 version, but it's almost definite that this is going to be locked at 30fps to sustain that level of fidelity on the consoles.

A real shame it's not coming to the PC, even as a full-price upgrade. Proper 4k textures with full-resolution support beyond 1080p and 60fps would make this a double-dip for me. As it stands, I can't in good conscience pay full-price for a console version, that will likely come with a severe framerate caveat as a result of the visual upgrades.

kinggroin

Banned
Fuck almighty that trailer just reminds me harder than ever how much I hate what the franchise was turned into. At least its a GOOD action game.

Fuck.

And the part early on in the trailer where she sneaks up on a dude, only to yell like a fucking psycho before offing him...my eyes couldn't roll any harder. The whole thing looked like some shitty generic action movie you'd wait to watch on Netflix.

sekrit

Banned
I think AMD took wrong approach with TressFx. They try to simulate the actual strands and physics but because hardware limitations, the end result is not very good. They should simulate how it looks, not what it actually physically does. They should have taken lessons from painters and animators. It does not have to simulate every single hair but the whole overall flow and movement. Add some imperfections and details to that and it could look very convincing.

TheD

The Detective
Most likely touched up...although, they're also only 720p...maybe they're getting Ryse level of quality...(doubt it...but who knows). It IS however a direct shot from the game...because I took a shot at almost the same time.

ivr4uvhbDZUCd.jpg

They definitely re-did the lighting...and the skin/blood textures. That rebar looks like crap no matter the hardware...lol....sort of ruins the picture. Tons more blood on the PC build.

Her hand on that thing she is grabbing onto also seems to look worse in the new version vs the PC shot (likely due to a lack of tessellation on Lara's model).

gogogow

The new version really looks worse. Even after swimming through blood etc. her eyeshadows and glossy lips are still intact, wtf!

Not only are her skin and face covered in blood in the PC version, but also her shirt was drenched in it. Totally gone in the "definitive edition".

Kiant

I don't understand, is this game good or bad?

Solid game imho, think the anger is stemming from the fact they are calling it the "definitive edition" when the PC version is superior. Also charging full price for a game that released in March; a prettier version compared to last gen but still an old game.

I love how IGN editors are technically inept when they have to figure out if a game is 1080p or not, but they get all the bullet points and technical innovations exactly right when writing these ads previews.

Was thinking the exact same thing although this is probably a different writer... It's still hard to take them seriously sometimes.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
You mean other than that the game has you murder an entire militia of rugged survivors/killers.

The problem isn't the gameplay but the unforgivably bad Lara origin story that clashes with it.

The combat, exploration and puzzle solving are all really fun imo...but they take a backseat to the garbage narrative so you don't get to do much of any of them (well except maybe the combat).

Regardless of how good the game looks in screens, I still can't get over the poor animations.

Nothing feels like it has an appropriate amount of weight and the transitions between the already stiff and robotic movements are terrible. Everything in the game just feels as though it's hollow.

Parsnip

Does her normal hair get dirty?
Not really, no. Her normal hair just kind of looks grimier by default so it looked more fitting.
I thought so anyway.
But trying to think back on how it actually looks, I kind of can't remember.

Shinta

Banned
Man, this just keeps sounding better and better.

What's really exciting to think about though is the upcoming sequel.

The new version really looks worse. Even after swimming through blood etc. her eyeshadows and glossy lips are still intact, wtf!

Not only are her skin and face covered in blood in the PC version, but also her shirt was drenched in it. Totally gone in the "definitive edition".

I wouldn't expect press shots to have her covered in blood even if the new version still shows her that way in game. There's ESRB rules about that stuff. I'm not saying that's what we're seeing here, I'm just saying it makes some sense that they'd change it, at least for the press shots.

gogogow

I wouldn't expect press shots to have her covered in blood even if the new version still shows her that way in game. There's ESRB rules about that stuff. I'm not saying that's what we're seeing here, I'm just saying it makes some sense that they'd change it, at least for the press shots.

Wait. So the ESRB are telling game publishers to lie to consumers?

jwk94

ivr4uvhbDZUCd.jpg

The hair on the PC (THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL SCREENSHOT I TOOK) is MUCH better looking still.

As for everything else...well they just sort of changed it. The bow difference may just be due to "upgrades"..also my Lara shot was taken a bit earlier in the scene...so she's in the middle of squinting/blinking...lol.

Edit**

Here's what you just climbed out of (and were swimming in up to your nose)...that's why the screenshot on PC makes sense and the new build doesn't...honestly.

ibztpfn3q8Rvei.jpg

Both of these are scaled to 720p direct captures from my PC too.

What happened to all the blood?

Nice, kinda glad I missed this one the first time around.

... Lol and the hair does not look better in that pc shot FYI. Especially the hair on her forehead is much softer/blurry/less detailed on the pc.

Just sayin.

Loakum

Banned
For $60 Square Enix better add a Lara Croft nude scene in there! ( I know I'm not the only one who wanna see it)

Shinta

Banned
It was less divisive, and more that it really bugged a vocal minority. I understand the criticisms, but thought it was great if judged on its own.

Yep. The game is fantastic. Anyone actually calling it horrible is so biased because of the name on the box that they can't evaluate the game honestly as a stand alone product.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yep. The game is fantastic. Anyone actually calling it horrible is so biased because of the name on the box that they can't evaluate the game honestly as a stand alone product.

The only horrible thing here is the shit you just wrote. Its an alright game imo but if someone backs up why they thought it was horrible, I see no reason why they are considered overly bias.

Edit: Ill redact that last part. Too finger pointy and not creating any worthwhile discussion

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really good game. Not amazing, and without any all that memorable scenes (nothing like the crazy shit that goes down in the Uncharted games) or interesting characters (I can barely remember anyone from the game beyond Lara), but really solid overall.

Heh, I also had this exact shot in my Steam screenshots but it looks like someone took care of it already. To be honest, though I can see parts where the PC version is better, I actually think I'd rather they retcon her landing in a pool of blood rather than go back to making her look like Carrie. I like the hair better in the next-gen version as well, looks more natural than the slightly hyperactive TressFX hair from the PC version.

But mainly, what this all says to me is that even if the PC version isn't quite the same as the so-called Definitive Edition, it's certainly close enough that I don't need to worry about ever buying it.

Top Bottom