• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much prettier is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition? [Preview]

Gold_Loot

One of the guys was out for the fame whatever the cost, but his half-baked pursuit of fame without actual substance to his knowledge has caused him life.
Another guy is a supportive kind of person who knew Lara's family and acts as a supportive father figure.
Oh wow that was hard.
That was past their role?

I have to agree though , the game's cast did it no favours.

Dali

My guess is they are using a development PC to render the shots in high-resolution, then downsampling to 1080p.

They already have to downplay the existence of the PC version enough to justify this being called 'definitive.' They obviously don't want to draw anymore attention to the issue by making this available on PC.

The press relea... Umm I mean preview specifically mentions they played it on the pc in order to illustrate just how much better the definitive edition is in comparison. I swear square read the thread here and wrote up something to counter every point people were making then handed it to ign.

I still don't see the point of this version. Prettier graphics? That's it?

Considering you could get the PC version for $5 two weeks ago, and I'm sure you can buy a used copy really cheap, or a new copy under $20 right now (consoles or PC), I don't understand who is this for. The graphics for the game are already really good (I played the PC version maxxed though).

Is there a new episode? Something new?

Even if you just bought a PS4, don't you own a PS3 or Xbox360 and can play the same game right now?? In the history of remakes this must be the laziest.

Most console gamers do not play games on PC (I can guarantee you not a single friend of mine has ever heard of Steam.) If you can get it for your next gen system and have not already purchased it, then yes; that is reason to buy it over the previous gen; esp. with the lack of titles post launch. It's not that difficult to grasp.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Most console gamers do not play games on PC (I can guarantee you not a single friend of mine has ever heard of Steam.) If you can get it for your next gen system and have not already purchased it, then yes; that is reason to buy it over the previous gen; esp. with the lack of titles post launch. It's not that difficult to grasp.
But you can get it much cheaper on an old console, and it's the same game. Sorry for pointing the obvious, but the changes are minimal. I would understand if they added a new stage or episode (not the 15 minutes tomb DLC though), but if someone asked me if it was worth to pay double or triple for the PS4 version instead of the PS3 version, I would LOL at his face and say no. I don't understand the appeal of this, AT ALL.

If you own an Xbone or PS4 and don't own a PS3 or Xbox 360 (a really rare case IMO), I would understand.

Error404

Banned
I love how IGN editors are technically inept when they have to figure out if a game is 1080p or not, but they get all the bullet points and technical innovations exactly right when writing these ads previews.
DAT blanket statement.
seriously though, they are not all like that

But you can get it much cheaper on an old console, and it's the same game. Sorry for pointing the obvious, but the changes are minimal. I would understand if they added a new stage or episode (not the 15 minutes tomb DLC though), but if someone asked me if it was worth to pay double or triple for the PS4 version instead of the PS3 version, I would LOL at his face and say no. I don't understand the appeal of this, AT ALL.

If you own an Xbone or PS4 and don't own a PS3 or Xbox 360 (a really rare case IMO), I would understand.

I'd pay for the PS4 version without hesitation if I had not already completed it on my PS3.

Castcoder

Banned
Guys, 4K textures DOES NOT mean the same as 4K resolution. Textures are scaled differently than say the resolution of a monitor or TV. This will most likely be 1080p, 30FPS, possibly locked to 30FPS.

kamspy

Spoilers from the very first scene of gameplay.

I wonder if they fixed the TressFX goof where Laura is hanging upside down and her pony tail hangs, but the hair on top of her head stays perfectly in place.

Hope they fix that. Kinda breaks the immersion of that feature right out of the gate.

Throw in a bunch of costumes and I'd probably buy it. Just giving it a graphical overhaul and including dlc won't really make me want to pay $60 for it though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That was past their role?

I have to agree though , the game's cast did it no favours.

Yes? Role of the first one was to exposit and establish the threat level. Role of the second one was to... give motivational speeches I guess, and tasks at certain points. The way they went about it was derived from what their characters were.

Come on, it's a video game. That's a pretty good level for a video game.

TheD

The Detective
Not only does her new face model look stupid due to the ton of makeup they put on her to make her look more sexy, but a few of those thing in the preview are also in the PC version (like the DOF).
They also seem to get shadow mapping confused with textures.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ok, I didnt care at first about double dipping for a game I got now for next gen....but this might make me do it.

I havent finished it yet on my PS3.....I may hold off and just get at again.

With the lil library I have....I can probably sell my PS3 and games, get a PS4 and get ready for PS Now.

Serrenn

Banned
So, it looks like a hypothetical past gen that isn't the actual past gen?
Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Those shots looks like touched up PC screenshots or typical PS360(Actually PC rendered) bullshots. Like this Gears Of War 3 for 360 screenshot here, yep, its a 1080p screenshot from 360:
rSCBm5U.jpg

Nothing screams "nextgen" to me there. Maybe I'm just picky. I will wait till Gamersyde footage at least.

Hasney

I don't think this game really needs 60 FPS.

It is a preference thing though. I'd always take 60fps over graphics and that's the choice I make when playing PC games.

Wish 1080 games could be dumped down to 720 for a better framrate sometimes.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Now thats a big improvement, was kinda disappointed that the Tess Fx was PC only as it the only difference outside IQ I say there was, but it was glitchy and look bad most the time I didn't care
Now we have a finished Tess Fx tech(not a experimenting version like previous) and everything else upgrade, day one....again

Pro

You'll really feel the rebar go into her tummy.

Or the branches...

Seriously though, this isn't going to look or play any better than the PC version at a standard 1080p resolution. You can get 60 fps with a decent rig. Hell I played at 1600p 30 fps.

If you don't already have it get it. It's a great game. I still don't have any games for my PS4 so it's tempting but that's kind of a waste as well.

Or the branches...

Seriously though, this isn't going to look or play any better than the PC version at a standard 1080p resolution. You can get 60 fps with a decent rig. Hell I played at 1600p 30 fps.

If you don't already have it get it. It's a great game. I still don't have any games for my PS4 so it's tempting but that's kind of a waste as well.

you can't get a solid 60fps even with the best rig though because tressfx on pc is ass optimized.

shandy706

Well, those are not screenshots, for starters.

Most likely touched up...although, they're also only 720p...maybe they're getting Ryse level of quality...(doubt it...but who knows). It IS however a direct shot from the game...because I took a shot at almost the same time.

Here's 720p on the PC (TOP) vs the new "screenshot" (BOTTOM).

ivr4uvhbDZUCd.jpg

They definitely re-did the lighting...and the skin/blood textures. That rebar looks like crap no matter the hardware...lol....sort of ruins the picture. Tons more blood on the PC build.

The hair on the PC (THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL SCREENSHOT I TOOK) is MUCH better looking still.

As for everything else...well they just sort of changed it. The bow difference may just be due to "upgrades"..also my Lara shot was taken a bit earlier in the scene...so she's in the middle of squinting/blinking...lol.

The hair though...again...looks far better on the PC version. I do prefer the skin tone on the rebuild, but less blood doesn't make sense due to what you just climbed out of.

Edit**

Here's what you just climbed out of (and were swimming in up to your nose)...that's why the screenshot on PC makes sense and the new build doesn't...honestly.

ibztpfn3q8Rvei.jpg

Both of these are scaled to 720p direct captures from my PC too.

Pyrrhus

The hair though...again...looks far better on the PC version. I do prefer the skin tone on the rebuild, but less blood doesn't make sense due to what you just climbed out of.

And the beautiful, shiny, clean, styled hair in both pics makes sense?

BONKERS

It's too bad all those 4k x 4k textures will be wasted at 1080p with only FXAA(But 720p? Are they trolling?). I doubt they'll get decent AA AND a stable framerate on PS4, let alone the XBOne

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Those shots looks like touched up PC screenshots or typical PS360(Actually PC rendered) bullshots. Like this Gears Of War 3 for 360 screenshot here, yep, its a 1080p screenshot from 360:

Nothing screams "nextgen" to me there. Maybe I'm just picky. I will wait till Gamersyde footage at least.

It's amazing how high resolution and good AA can make a game look eh?

Top Bottom