• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often do you buy games at launch?

Sushen

How often do you buy games at launch and what was the latest one you bought? Do you pre-order games?

I used to buy at least a new game each month, I find myself rarely buy games at full price anymore nowadays. AC Valhalla was the last full priced game from last November. There seems no pre-order discounts anymore, I noticed too.

Yamisan

Too often also. Trying to nott buy Outriders at launch. Its fun but not great so far and will probably be $30 within a month on ps5 but its hard to stop myself.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I probably buy around 5 games day one a year, but it depends on many things. Last game was Hitman 3 and I preorder on Amazon only.

I have Monster Hunter Rise preordered currently.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Once, maybe twice a year, if it's from a franchise or company I really like or know will deliver the goods. I never pre-order because I don't want to support the crazy and often overblown hype culture that surrounds it. The last game I bought at launch was Demon's Souls and before that it was Sekiro.

stitch1

How often do you make the same thread twice?

men bathroom GIF

Last edited:
All the time on PC as something like CD Keys is often half the console price.

Sometimes on Xbox if there is a cheap key on offer.

Very occasionally on PS. Last gen I think it was Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima and God of War I remember paying full price for and even then I would have bought cheap PSN credit so not really full price. I don't regret any of them to be fair.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Monster Hunter Rise; £34.95.

Last day one game before that? On Xbox and PlayStation I don’t even remember. You can wait literally 2 months in the UK and games will drop by £20. I think Bloodborne I bought day one, I have the collectors edition (set me back £55 I think, now going for £80+ on eBay).

Certain Nintendo games I will buy day one; Smash, mainline Zelda and Mario (not remakes) and Mario Kart.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I used to do so, but as I commit myself to Gaas games not so much anymore.

I did with CoD, but stopped with that series after MW 2019. mw19 was a masterpiece and its a disgrace Activision keeps releasing these games every single year.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I only pre-order Resident Evil games when it comes to software. It's fun being a nerd and going in and seeing other nerds.

Most recent for me is RE8 Deluxe Edition on PS4, and I paid it off the other day. I want to be the first nerd at the store to get it.
tom cruise laughing GIF

Last thing I preordered was the WiiU, that was a funny launch. Gamestop catered with Buffalo Wild Wings at like 9am, lol.

My best experience was randomly getting a Wii on launch day. The PS3 launch was insane, people camping out for like 2 weeks in advance, etc. I drove to my local Best Buy the morning of the Wii launch to see what was up, as I cruised by the front door the guy at the front of the line yells, "They got 7 more systems, come on dude!" Everyone in line started cheering so I was like, "fuck it, I'm getting a Wii." Waited in line with 2 brothers who had been saving gift cards for like 2 years, dudes had a stack like half a foot tall, lol. I ended up getting Twilight Princess and since I hadn't been gaming much during that time, had zero clue was TP was all about or what the Wii was all about really. Really great experience and TP is probably my favorite Zelda game. Pre-ordering games/consoles for me is more about the experience of being around other nerds than it is having something the day it's released.

nikolino840

Very few,but don't becouse for some crusade against devs and pubs..but i'm a poor 😂 i will buy even a barbie game day one if i was Trump's richness level

cireza

Banned
I pre-order digital versions of games I am interested in on Xbox. That's a few games every year, not that many.

2021 is a pretty good year, I have already pre-ordered Hitman 3 and Nier Replicant. I will pre-order Scarlet Nexus, probably the new Sonic game and Elden Ring as well, if they make it this year.

Last edited:

Murdoch

Monster Hunter Rise; £34.95.

Last day one game before that? On Xbox and PlayStation I don’t even remember. You can wait literally 2 months in the UK and games will drop by £20. I think Bloodborne I bought day one, I have the collectors edition (set me back £55 I think, now going for £80+ on eBay).

Certain Nintendo games I will buy day one; Smash, mainline Zelda and Mario (not remakes) and Mario Kart.

That's a great price for Rise. Where's that?

ShaikhCroft

If it is Tomb Raider then it is my day one buy! Other than that I barely pre-order a game! Last time I pre-ordered was Horizon: Zero Dawn on Steam!

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Rarely anymore. I bought Cyberpunk but took the refund. Trying to think about another game I bought at launch recently, Hitman 3.
Hitman 3 was worth it.

Last edited:
Quite often. If it's a game I am into then I will buy it immediately. If i pre ordered and the physical is taking it's time, I may double dip via a digital copy just to play it early. Time is money. The older you get, the more you realize it.

If it's a game that looks cool and people are hyped about on release day, I might buy it anyways.

When I was younger I definitely had less money to spend, but now that I have a real job and good expendable income, it is nothing to drop $60 on a new game, and many games come out that cost a fraction of that.

Banjo64

cumsessed
That's a great price for Rise. Where's that?
Shopto. Comes with steel book and key rings;

Smyths has it for £36.99

xrnzaaas

Several times a year for the games that I really can't wait to play. This year it's only been Hitman 3 so far and I was planning to buy GT7 on launch.

I definitely toned it down in the recent years, not because of my budget but because of most games dropping in price pretty past.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
possibly twice a year?

really depends on what games are released each year. Could be more or less.

RE and SRWs are automatic buys.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
depends how many games are out that interest me.

in the last year or so the games i bought at launch were Cyberpunk, Persona 5 Strikers, Persona 5 Royal, Flight Simulator, Doom Eternal, Animal Crossings, Watch Dogs Legion, THPS1+2. of those games i regret buying Watch Dogs. Doom Eternal i don't regret buying but i wish i had waited for a sale. the rest were all worth the full launch price.

Last edited:
Isnt GaaS games like csgo, Fortnite and mmorpgs, or am I mistaken it for something else?
It's any game with a long-term post-launch monetization strategy. Those games you listed count, but so do full-price titles like FIFA, The Division or Anthem, as well as digital distribution and subscription services like Game Pass.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
How often do you buy games at launch and what was the latest one you bought? Do you pre-order games?

I used to buy at least a new game each month, I find myself rarely buy games at full price anymore nowadays. AC Valhalla was the last full priced game from last November. There seems no pre-order discounts anymore, I noticed too.
I preorder games I really really want to play ASAP or will be in low stock.

I don’t preorder AAA giant publisher games or things like that

If I get all my odd jobs done by ten or so I'll have a shower and go down and buy some games at or around lunchtime pretty often. I'm not much of an late afternoon shopper so lunch is my favourite time.

gypsygib

I used to about 5-7 times a year, then prices went up by $20 to $79.99 where I live. I haven't bought a game at full price since. I went from being an impulse purchaser to a patient gamer. Total annual spend on games is much less so I guess that's good.

GAMETA

Banned
I only get games I know I'll like: Zelda, Souls/From Games, Mario, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, Street Fighter...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Quite often. If I'm excited about a game, why wait? Most of those I play at launch.

With that said most of those are on PC, where prices are lower so it's not a big deal. On console tho it's been a long time since a buy a game. Next one is MH:Rise, and you can bet you ass I'm getting that one at launch.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's any game with a long-term post-launch monetization strategy. Those games you listed count, but so do full-price titles like FIFA, The Division or Anthem, as well as digital distribution and subscription services like Game Pass.
Well I'm only interested in games that gets no sequels as GaaS.

I hate cod being GaaS because you can grind so much and next year a new gets released which means that everything you worked for is gone.

So... Are some gaas acceptable while others aren't?

Top Bottom