• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How old are you, gamer?

how old are you, dear gamer? and are you satisfied with the state of gaming?

• Total voters

H . R . 2

mockup-of-a-pro-gamer-wearing-a-t-shirt.png

how old are you, dear gamer?

and are you satisfied with the state of gaming?
---------------------------------------
if yes, how can we improve things?

if not, how can we revive gaming?

Orta

Banned
42 years old. No, I'm not satisfied with the state of modern gaming. Am absolutely bewildered by all this 'NFT', 'loot box' and 'season pass' stuff. I haven't a clue what all these fortnite and roguelike references to games mean and I have no interest whatsoever on the rabid emphasis of multi-player in gaming. 200 hour long games need chucking in the bin too. Who the hell has time to play those games?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

35, yes, VR

nuff said

but tbf, flat screen gaming is still good, and better than ever. there are things about the industry that i hate, for sure, but its not enough for me to say im not happy with the state of the industry. i could see it continuing to go in a bad direction leading to that.

but with VR, pffff...
b510e7c6-6d5f-4680-9595-30a51eaf8a46_text.gif

MiguelItUp

38, and said yes. Though I totally thought about selecting no. The reason I didn't was because even if there ARE titles or trends I don't dig, there ARE games that still exist that still interest me. So, as long as that's a thing, I'll continue to think of it as a yes. The day that changes, then I'll be a hard no. That being said, it HAS been better as a whole in the past IMO. A LOT better.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm 29, and overall satisfied. Still plenty of great games to play and more great titles in the near future. Love the push for VR that Sony is going with.

That being said, I don't like the direction of gaas that many developers and publishers are taking.

Last edited:
Turning 50 in about a month in a half. My gaming habits have changed somewhat over the years decades, My love of gaming has stayed consistantly strong with us now having the biggest variety of games and ways to play them than ever. Very satisfied with how things are overall.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I don't care if I get called entitled but what I like is buying a game and getting a complete experience.

If someone wants to create something of value after that, then that's fine too I don't mind some additional content. However low level cut items that should be rewards to a player ingame like paintjobs or skins... these need to stop being sold.

I primarily focus on the indie scene these days because they are the only people that seem to understand there diffrence in value.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
My gaming habits have changed over the years but been playing destiny for years now and every year they still doing well with the occasional stumble. I just don't have time for the so so games I used to play.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia

I dropped multiplayer gaming nearly 2 years ago now. I've not touched an online game since Cold War. I've changed how I view gaming and I only focus on games that value my time by providing excellent experiences.

Just got completely burnt out by the grinding, copy-paste trend following design, the "empty" open-worlds, the microtransactions, the emotes... all the stuff that preys upon people/kids by easily manipulating them into FOMO and just one more dopamine hit. Publishers found the best/easiest ways into manipulating impressionable minds, all to maximize profits and play times on their games. The endless nothingness that is online gaming. Not really including playing with friends... that was typically always a good experience and is honestly the only thing I miss about playing online.

The current state of the industry is good for me. I have been happily playing through my backlog considering nothing on the close horizon really interests me (Starfield is the only exception).

Last edited:

Aion002

35. Yep.

Gamepass and PS+ have great value for me. Xcloud works amazingly for me (so I can play many games on my phone and without worrying about storage), there are many coop games to play with distant friends online, there are many f2p games that I enjoy.

Also, From Software keeps delivering games that I enjoy and Capcom keeps delivering new cool RE games and is making a new Dragon's Dogma.

Gaming is pretty cool right now to me.

One thing that I hope that it gets improved for me is Sony making gaming streaming available in Brazil and that it works as good as Xclouds works right now. With Xcloud is hard to notice any differences from playing directly on the Series S or on my phone via streaming, it's amazing. I want that on Playstation too.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
34 and very satisfied with current sate of gaming but then again I mostly play single player games so I never have to deal with any of the BS when it comes to online gaming.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

grew up playing stuff like DMC, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Ratchet, etc etc

now everything is open-world with 100h+, Mtxs, GaaS

miss the old days, really
36… and basically this. I still want to play games but the ones that are released are not for me any more.
And no, it‘s not about time. I didn‘t even play these games when I was a kid. There is too much padding today. I‘d like to finish a game and then immediately replay it again and wish for a sequel.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
39. Lover of F2P games so I'm good and happy for the future of GaaS. It's the most inclusive form of gaming and GaaS done right is brilliant for everyone - from the poor lads to the big spenders. I mainly focus on games that will get years of support and content.

ACESHIGH

Banned

In terms of availability and ease of use gaming is better than ever,no question about it. Xcloud is amazing.Cant believe how well it runs and how easy it is to play. PC gaming is dominant. Steam Deck is the bees knees and emulation it's getting better all the time.

Only things I would change are. Reduce the scope of AAA games so we can get new big budget games faster. Stop it with the emphasis in multiplayer shooters. Everyone wants a piece of that pie and a lot of these games are bound to fail o specially hate when a single player oriented studio wastes time with a gaasultiplayer.

I would like indie studios to get together and bring their games to the next level we need more AA.
Pixel art indies are very 00s. Should have died a long time ago for the most part. We need a return to the sixth gen.

And another thing. There's a lack of ATTITUDE in modern gaming. I am not saying we need to bring back the N.W.O and let them design some games but we need more of that 90s and 00s Xtreme stuff we had in gaming. PC stuff is ruining the hobby.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
Gaming is in a great place, more accessible than ever before.

If I've had to criticize something would be the poor innovation in the AA and AAA department like we had 3 generation ago and beyond.

Also this thread sounds like a focus group lol

41, definitely happy with gaming currently.

Own all 3 main consoles. Got a Quest 2. Backlog that could last me into retirement. Cost is coming down with subs; saving me money while I get more to play. My main issue is just lack of time to play all that I have.

It's not a flawless picture though. Gaming is largely very homogenous in the AAA space, and pretty boring. It could improve with more focus on originality and risk taking. Projects like Pentiment excite me though as one possibility of what part of the rest of this console gen could look like. Hoping for greater diversity in gameplay ideas. Even if that doesn't happen though, I'm well stocked with more than enough to play.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I'm 29 and yes overall happy with the current state of gaming. Yeah pretty sad regarding big games likes of rockstar or naughty dog etc taking so long to make but least we know they always worth the wait.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
31. Yeah sure. Not many new games appealing to me but those are still coming out, plus I have a lot of backlog and for me accessing to old games is as easier as it's ever been.

Upper 20s

I unironically think gaming is the best it's ever been, as far as the number of quality games we get, but obviously nothing is perfect, and If I got the power to change anything about it I'd probably, in no particular order.....

1. Stop developers from making every single game an open world game. Open World games are great, but so are linear games

2. Stop developers from trying to make their open world games "bigger" as a selling point, I think open world's were too big in the mid 360/PS3 days, let alone now. There's way too much bloat in games, but also just the fact that by making an open world hilariously large, it becomes less memorable (too many areas to memorize), more generic (oh look another empty hill with a couple trees on it), harder to navigate, and just makes people desperate to use fast travel so they don't need to spend 30 minutes simply getting to the desired location.

3. Unpopular one, but stop devs primarily focusing on graphics, gameplay has always been king, and things like AI and physics haven't had any meaningful advances in a long time, plus, while games could always look better, imo we're well past the point where it's diminishing returns. And I'd rather not wait 5+ years for every game because they need it to look marginally better. If graphics had stopped advancing in the late 360/PS3 early One/PS4 era, I wouldn't have minded at all if it means quicker game releases and more focuses on the other stuff besides graphics.

4. Stop the massive focus on microtransactions, I don't mind cosmetic microtransactions in theory, but when games started giving you basically no cosmetics and made it incredibly grindy to unlock anything even slightly cool, it was kind of annoying. And then things like buying characters or items in online multiplayer games, basically paying for advantages over other people, that's scummy. That also goes along with my 3rd point, if devs stopped focusing on spending so much money improving their graphics, and having games take super long to make, they might not need near as much microtransactions

Early 30s

I don’t think it’s possible to change things to the way it use to be because at the end of the day people vote with their wallets and right now games like Fortnite, basically free to play multiplayers driven games with micro transactions are the games that is making the most money because the causal audience enjoys those experiences more.

I wish we had a more consistent stream of new AAA single player IP like we did in the past but I understand that due to the current state of what new gamers want that will be a thing of the past in the coming years.

Hopefully the current indie studios will emerge into something special and fill the void that is being created with experiences that us older gamers value.

Last edited:
I'm soon to be 53 and I'm incredibly satisfied with the state of gaming. To clarify, I'm less of a mainstream-centric gamer and more of a gamer with very eclectic tastes, so I always have something I'm loving to play. I know, even on this forum, the bulk of conversation and interest revolves around the AAA space (and consoles), and while I surely enjoy a big-budget title from time to time, I think I'd game very little if it weren't for the abundance of indie and lower-budget titles that are everywhere. And that doesn't even factor in all the games I've never even gotten to play from gaming's yesteryears. I know I'm not alone in this opinion, but if no new games were ever made and I lived another 100 years, I'd be thoroughly satisfied with my current backlog and all the other games that have already been released that I still want to experience. Gaming is beyond good for me.

Celcius

°Temp. member
35 and yes. The industry is in good hands. I just want to know how much longer the Epic Games Store is going to keep up this exclusivity nonsense. It’s been years now Epic… if anyone wanted to use your store then they would already be doing it.

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Upper 20s

I unironically think gaming is the best it's ever been, as far as the number of quality games we get, but obviously nothing is perfect, and If I got the power to change anything about it I'd probably, in no particular order.....

1. Stop developers from making every single game an open world game. Open World games are great, but so are linear games

2. Stop developers from trying to make their open world games "bigger" as a selling point, I think open world's were too big in the mid 360/PS3 days, let alone now. There's way too much bloat in games, but also just the fact that by making an open world hilariously large, it becomes less memorable (too many areas to memorize), more generic (oh look another empty hill with a couple trees on it), harder to navigate, and just makes people desperate to use fast travel so they don't need to spend 30 minutes simply getting to the desired location.

3. Unpopular one, but stop devs primarily focusing on graphics, gameplay has always been king, and things like AI and physics haven't had any meaningful advances in a long time, plus, while games could always look better, imo we're well past the point where it's diminishing returns. And I'd rather not wait 5+ years for every game because they need it to look marginally better. If graphics had stopped advancing in the late 360/PS3 early One/PS4 era, I wouldn't have minded at all if it means quicker game releases and more focuses on the other stuff besides graphics.

4. Stop the massive focus on microtransactions, I don't mind cosmetic microtransactions in theory, but when games started giving you basically no cosmetics and made it incredibly grindy to unlock anything even slightly cool, it was kind of annoying. And then things like buying characters or items in online multiplayer games, basically paying for advantages over other people, that's scummy. That also goes along with my 3rd point, if devs stopped focusing on spending so much money improving their graphics, and having games take super long to make, they might not need near as much microtransactions
You listed all the worst offenses in modern gaming (triple AAA space) and you are still optimistic, I like that :messenger_grinning_smiling:

To add to your point, the technology we have can absolutely make games the best they've ever been. Overall, design is better, gameplay is better... but one bad apple can spoil the entire batch.

A game like 2018 Battlefront 2 had the potential to be one of the best Star Wars games released. But at release, it had some bad apples/design elements that spoiled the entire batch. Even after the "bad apple" was removed, the sourness remained.

Anywho... I again I like your optimism.

Top Bottom