• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Sony designed the PS5’s ultimate Easter egg in DualSense Controller

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Part of that is how the amazing DualSense controller’s clever motorized triggers and intensely precise vibrations can recreate the crunching sensation of strutting across a sandy beach or the pitter-patter of rain.

Another part: the 40,000 tiny PlayStation symbols you’ll feel when you pick up the PS5’s new gamepad. As an Easter egg for its fans, the company decided to apply a microtexture to the DualSense controller’s entire lower shell that makes it Sony’s most grippable gamepad yet because of the thousands upon thousands of tiny squares, triangles, circles, and crosses literally at your fingertips.

Sony hasn’t previously spoken about how it did this, how many there are, or how large the symbols actually get, but we have those answers today — including behind-the-scenes photos and details from Sony’s Yujin Morisawa and Takeshi Igarashi, the chief designers behind the PS5 and the DualSense, respectively. (We even borrowed a fancy industrial microscope so you can see how the symbols look up close.)

Perhaps the most striking part, as you’ll see in images above and below: these tiny symbols are stacked on top of each other, jutting out in three dimensions. They’re not a single, evenly spaced layer at all, like the tiny dots you might remember on Sony’s DualShock 4 from 2013. They look random, almost organic — which might be because the entire design was sketched out by hand.

1.___________.jpg

Check the link for more.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Hey if you have to drift might as well drift in style

I like the cut of PS gib "Fuck quality control check out these dope symbols"

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's almost like the author has never seen textured plastic before.

Sketched by hand? Yeah sure.

How did they accomplish this? It's a process where the mold is etched by laser, not some giant mystery.

Last edited:

Aroll

I’ll take close up pictures, but having bought a PS5 a month or two ago, all I can say is my DualShock controller does not have those symbols on the back. I have done a ton of close of shots with a lumix g9 camera, my phone, and a real magnifying glass. It’s just normal bumps.

which makes me think that Easter egg was for the launch unit batch.

longdi

Banned
I’ll take close up pictures, but having bought a PS5 a month or two ago, all I can say is my DualShock controller does not have those symbols on the back. I have done a ton of close of shots with a lumix g9 camera, my phone, and a real magnifying glass. It’s just normal bumps.

Interesting, can you take a photo and let us take a look

Gamerguy84

You dont have them on the handles? Mine aren't on the smooth part of the bottom but are on the handles, and of course the console itself.

Top Bottom