• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Sony Learned to Cede Control to Marvel on 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

Link.

Some quotes:

How the armies of lawyers for the two corporate behemoths, Disney-owned Marvel and Sony, ever reached an agreement in February 2015 might seem complicated. But Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige says it actually was quite simple. "It really came down to me telling Amy in her office that I think the best thing for this character is: Sony has the rights, that's not changing," Feige recalls. "Have Sony pay for the movie, distribute the movie, market the movie. Just let us make the movie and incorporate him into our universe."

As for the expansion plans, Tom Hardy is starring in Venom, dated for Oct. 5, 2018, which will also feature the villain Carnage. A source says Holland is only contractually obligated to Spider-Man 2 and 3, but the intention is to bring him into the spinoffs and possibly other Marvel films (he is currently shooting Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War).

"Marvel is so good at [working around your schedule]," Holland told THR. "They're very respectful of your life, really. They understand that you have to work on other movies, and yeah, they try and fix it up so you can work."

Meanwhile, Homecoming villain Michael Keaton has a deal to play the Vulture for just one movie.

Another spinoff, Silver & Black, doesn't have a release date but is eyeing a fall shoot and features characters Silver Sable and Black Cat. Other projects will focus on Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio. The idea, says a studio source, is to build out a world gradually rather than launch one immediately, as they had been trying with Spider-Man villain ensemble Sinister Six, which has been shelved.

Sony will get a to-be-determined Marvel character for Spider-Man 2 like it received for Homecoming with the box-office monster Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. But sources say it won't be Iron Man next time around. Whatever happens in Spider-Man's future, there is palpable excitement on the Sony lot after a string of flops, and at Marvel, which has, for now, some control over its friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

"Suddenly this goes from being a third reincarnation and a sixth movie to a first," says Feige. "It's the first time Spider-Man gets to interact with the world in which he belongs."

Full article at the link.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Sony will get a to-be-determined Marvel character for Spider-Man 2 like it received for Homecoming with the box-office monster Iron Man, played by Robert Downey Jr. But sources say it won't be Iron Man next time around. Whatever happens in Spider-Man's future, there is palpable excitement on the Sony lot after a string of flops, and at Marvel, which has, for now, some control over its friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.

oh god please let it be Steve Rogers just bullying him with Widow 24/7

Cartoonic

Neo Member
I think I'm more excited that this article confirms Carnage being in the Venom movie.

It's time for my man to shine!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Interesting.

Steve isn't a bully!

tumblr_njyl4altL61tlgqkgo3_500.gif

As for the expansion plans, Tom Hardy is starring in Venom, dated for Oct. 5, 2018, which will also feature the villain Carnage. A source says Holland is only contractually obligated to Spider-Man 2 and 3, but the intention is to bring him into the spinoffs and possibly other Marvel films (he is currently shooting Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War).

Pascal recently hinted that Holland might pop up in Sony's spinoffs, which she said exist in an adjacent universe as Spider-Man/Peter Parker's.

Hope that puts to bed the notion that Holland isn't allowed to be in the Sony produced spinoffs.

kiri

Chris Evans as Human Torch

I threw up in my mouth then realised that Fox and Sony are teaming up, the 'kid-friendly' Fantastic Four movie is real, with Chris Evans returning and heading up a team of kid-friendly superheros including Franklin and Peter.....

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Sounds like they will build the universe around Spider-Man but none of it actually interacts with him or the MCU. And then venom will probably be the actual hero while Spider-Man is "missing"

Boem

And people here called me crazy when I said Sony was going to go ahead and just use Holland in the non-MCU spinoffs.

It's just about money in the end, not internet people writing wiki timelines.

Saya

Sounds like they will build the universe around Spider-Man but none of it actually interacts with him or the MCU. And then venom will probably be the actual hero while Spider-Man is "missing"

"A source says Holland is only contractually obligated to Spider-Man 2 and 3, but the intention is to bring him into the spinoffs and possibly other Marvel films (he is currently shooting Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War)."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Everyone wants Evans, I think having a burnt out Ant Man would be better for a sequel.

Jokergrin

I still can't wrap my head around how you can do a Venom movie without doing Black suit Spider-man first

The symbiote bonded so successfully with Eddie Brock because they both wanted revenge towards Spider-Man

Vengal

I love how they decided Carnage was a redneck because his name was Cletus, despite being born and raised in NYC

Life is strange sometimes. One of our data center engineers was born and raised in East Baltimore and became a red neck after college. You'd never believe him when he talked about the Baltimore City schools he went to while wearing a camo hat, cabella's shirt and speaking with a country twang.

I really don't want Sony's spinoffs to get made but it is what it is. I would prefer for villains like Kraven and Mysterio to appear in the main Spidey films not spinoffs.

I still can't wrap my head around how you can do a Venom movie without doing Black suit Spider-man first

The symbiote bonded so successfully with Eddie Brock because they both wanted revenge towards Spider-Man

Who says they aren't doing black suit Spider-Man?? The article just confirms that they intend for Holland to appear in the spinoffs!

Can't do an origin story without fighting an evil (or in this case eviler) version of yourself.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Another spinoff, Silver & Black, doesn't have a release date but is eyeing a fall shoot and features characters Silver Sable and Black Cat. Other projects will focus on Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio.

UHHHHHHHHHHHH....

Slayven

Life is strange sometimes. One of our data center engineers was born and raised in East Baltimore and became a red neck after college. You'd never believe him when he talked about the Baltimore City schools he went to while wearing a camo hat, cabella's shirt and speaking with a country twang.
I will blame it on Judas Traveler scrambling his brains

Spiderman Nerd joke

And if we all good boys and girls

120253-131854-vengeance.jpg

Top Bottom