• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the axe changes combat in God of War

cormack12

Gold Member
Interview below. It sounds like the recall mechanism is just a transparent chain to be honest. It also sounds like the gameplay impressions where people were constantly throwing the axe means people were still trying to play as they would with the blades of chaos.

Some of the gameplay snippets look really cool, It looks as though the main combat sequence is going to be hit, hit, AoE, throw axe. Which is similar to the square, square, triangle combo. I'm hoping the shield has the same satisfaction as the golden fleece from 3 when timing blocks.

I'm still not a fan of seeing the enemies just standing there while engaged 1 v 1, or the camera pan where it looks as though they move ridiculously slowly to compensate for the closer camera. I remain hopeful though, and it doesn't really matteer 'cos it's still day 1 for me!

Unity2012

It looks amazing. It will be interesting to get used to the axe and new pace of the game. I don't think it'll be a problem once we get into the story and new setting. This is definitely a big move for the franchise. Day one.

DonF

At 3:54 on the video. Nice head attached to kratos' belt. The game looks great, I like the new combat, its feels with weight and impact.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s totally strange but when I see gameplay I think to myself. This is what god of war would be if they used the gears of war systems.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah the 1v1 reminds me of how locked you can feel inside of combat. Hellblade has that locked into combat feeling for it, but Hellblade isn't meant to be combat at all times.
I think the combat has some meat to it. Isn't his son's attack a front facing button? I guess that could work.

I just remind myself of what happens to Thor and the serpent during Ragnarok.

Last edited:
I think it looks pretty stellar and for the most part with the combat being slowed down slightly it might make for a meaty battle/ combat experience imo. The visuals look stellar and the ability to recall the axe like Thors hammer should provide some pretty sweet change ups in combat.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
"so for this game when you jump in there, its a little bit slower then previous god of war games but its just as fluid and brutal as its ever"

A confusing statement this is, probably marketing guys on his back scared there going to scare away fans of the pervious god of war games.
nevertheless looking forward to playing this.

Pejo

Watched the vid, and it's interesting. The impression I got from that Dev is that they wanted to go more deliberate Souls-like combat, but then the idea got shit on so they made it button mash-able anyways. I still don't like the over-the-shoulder view for this game. It's fallen into one of those situations for me personally like, "If you didn't want to make a God of War game, make a new IP" but I guess that doesn't get the built-in free marketing that calling it God of War will. Really hate the "son" angle, and will always hate child characters added in for emotional effect in fiction. Maybe that will change if I ever have a kid, who knows.

Game looks gorgeous, the combat definitely looks better here than it has the past few previews I've seen, but I still miss the cinematic 3rd person camera that allows panning out to see truly huge things like titans and stuff. Sure the old games were button mashers, but they had a ton of spectacle. Could still happen in this game I guess. Nothing left to do but wait and see.

chinoXL

i wouldn't worry, from the hands on previews, everyone has loved/liked the combat and flow of the game. i can see people hating secondary characters as they usually get in the way or just stand there but it seems cool that his son helps from a distance and shouldn't be a liability...can't wait for this game to drop

NinjaBoiX

"so for this game when you jump in there, its a little bit slower then previous god of war games but its just as fluid and brutal as its ever"

A confusing statement this is, probably marketing guys on his back scared there going to scare away fans of the pervious god of war games.
nevertheless looking forward to playing this.
How so? Fluid doesn’t equal fast.

He’s saying “attacks don’t necessarily chain together as quickly, but it’s still very smooth and feels just as brutal”.

Top Bottom