• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the FUCK do devlopers keep getting away with visual downgrades? latest example, Forspoken

So people can't complain about shitty industry practices now? Wanting honesty from publishers makes them entitled?
Isn't it bizarre? There are always people ready to act like this is on the gamers. The "you shoulda known" instead of the obvious. It's one thing for you guys to personally not care, it's another thing to act like this is normal or an acceptable aspect of gaming. So what if they've since shown a demo. How does that not make this downgrade disappointing? It's a next gen only game guys.
Maybe cause I’m looking at these in my iPhone but I can’t tell which pics are supposed to be the bad ones vs the good ones?
Whut

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The best thing they could do for this game would be to change the protagonist including her dialogue

At this point I want those "generic white dudes" from the ps3 gen back, all is forgiven!

Nah the character isn’t the problem. It’s one of the only high points.

though a create a character option would fit well for this game.

StueyDuck

He didn't wrote the game.

The rumor that him and henning writed the story was already debunked, they helped a little with the overworld but the writers are 2 other peoples.

Not that this change much really.
it doesn't change my original point that at some point he touched the game and then it turned out to be hot shit.

StueyDuck

The best thing they could do for this game would be to change the protagonist including her dialogue

At this point I want those "generic white dudes" from the ps3 gen back, all is forgiven!
i mean does any normal person really care about the race or gender of their character? isn't that just people with mental health issues?

the problem with the game comes down to terrible utterly trash writing the likes to rival velma (2023 is gonna be a hoot) and pretty archaic game mechanic and world design with an added dose of over promising and under delivering to sprinkle on top of shit cake that is coming our way

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think OP posted the PS4 version against the PS5 version. j/k

I think some comparisons against H:FW are in order.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
why isn't this illegal?!!!!!!
how many times we gonna get fucked over like this before the sheep actually wake up?

Sibd05C.jpg
hi
TJjdyci.jpg
s

Having subpar graphics is the least of this game's problems.

And that somehow makes it ok and people should just shut up and accept it?

Bullshit. This is a clear case of bullshot marketing meant to mislead people with the quality of a product. I don't know why you're trying so hard to defend it.
Again, you're just cherry picking one game out of every other game. This game's so-called "visual downgrade" is far from the most egregious example. Regardless, you seem to have some odd attachment to it and have decided to make this the hill you die on. Makes zero sense, but you do you.

This game's got a lot of issues, and far from the biggest issue is being "visually downgraded" from 3 year-old early pre-alpha/ target rendering. lol.

Last edited:
I guess many people just don't care that much.
People who do care, will add that to the other problems they see in that game already.
Overall Sony's third party exclusives in this gen were hardly worth the money so far...

Square being disappointed about sales news incoming in 3, 2 ...

sainraja

Graphics are probably not going to be the main issue for this game. People enjoy and play games that don't look as good as it does in its current state, or look worse. The game part has to be good.

shiru

Banned
Again, you're just cherry picking one game out of every other game
Thread is about Forspoken, shithead. I'm not cherrypicking anything. I'm calling out bullshit marketing strategies.

This game's so-called "visual downgrade" is far from the most egregious example. Regardless, you seem to have some odd attachment to it and have decided to make this the hill you die on. Makes zero sense, but you do you.

This game's got a lot of issues, and far from the biggest issue is being "visually downgraded" from 3 year-old early pre-alpha/ target rendering. lol.
Are you retarded? It's like you're going out of your way to ignore the point and main issue here. Literally what part of bullshot marketing can't you follow?

Regardless, you seem to have some odd attachment to it and have decided to make this the hill you die on.
This is just rich. You're literally talking about yourself here, you realize that?

Last edited:

SABRE220

The graphics are very nice. I would say the game is a looker. Maybe not technically tlou2 but good looking.
Do not believe bad, poor selected screenshots. I’ve posted real demo shots few pages back
My friend the graphics are far from very nice....the lighting is abmysal and the fidelity is wildly inconsistent with a slew of uninspiring repeating textures and assets. Watch the digital foundry tech review.... assassins creed unity straight up looks half a gen better and in some parts the visual elements are almost ps3 era.

You like the game, that's fair power to you but you're essentially coming across as slightly dishonest in your attempt to downplay the games downgrade and lackluster visuals/performance not condoning the wild hate for the game though.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
My friend the graphics are far from very nice....the lighting is abmysal and the fidelity is wildly inconsistent with a slew pf uninspiring repeating textures and assets. Watch the digital foundry tech review....assasins creed unity straight up looks half a gen better and in some parts the visual elements are almost ps3 era.

You like the game thats fair power to you but youre essentially coming across as dishonest in your attempt to pass this game as good looking in regards to visuals not condoning the wild hate for the game.
Some views in the demo very pretty nice. Not played full game yet

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Because no one actually cares about graphics anymore except boomers who post on message boards.

Honestly, graphics are insanely overvalued at places like NeoGAF. Gameplay has been king for decades now.

SABRE220

Some views in the demo very pretty nice. Not played full game yet
Fair enough but you might want to take a look at the final product before claiming the game has good graphics anymore.....warning you though, you might be disappointed.. its not pretty. This is coming from someone who was seriously impressed with the luminous team and what the team achieved technically with ff15.

Its a headscratcher ...the only explanation I can thinkup is the team had barely any budget and had the inexperienced c team working while the rest were on a different project but thats me coping.

Last edited:

yamaci17

The graphics are very nice. I would say the game is a looker. Maybe not technically tlou2 but good looking.
Do not believe bad, poor selected screenshots. I’ve posted real demo shots few pages back
not tlou2 eh. tlou2 run at 1440p-like resolution with a locked 30 fps on a super old archaic GCN 3 GPU chip that tops out at 4.2 tflops with 2.2 jag cores (enormously low IPC) and an accompanying 5400 RPM harddisk and only 8 gb of available memory budget [also, Tlou part 2 on PS4 ALSO looked better than this despite being at 1080p)

this game runs around average of 1300p like resolution at 30 fps target on an improved RDNA2 10 tflops GPU core combined powerful ryzen cores with super high speed tech SSD and 16 GB of total memory, all while being completely free of "lastgen" consoles, so the game in question is completely designed around the said nextgen consoles' featureset, since it must rely on its features to be nextgen exclusive

it literally WASTES multiple times of resources compared to the LIKES of tlou2 (there are COUNTLESS lastgen titles that look WAY better than this one). it is impossible to understand your stance on this.

you tout about how consoles are superior when it comes to managing resources and how they get more performance and optimal graphics quality ouf ot them. this game literally trashes that single most important aspect of consoles: yet you're simply okay with it? WOW man. just WOW.

what technicality are you talking about? CONSOLE games must adhere to certain standards. THANKS to those standards, gow/tlou2 and likes run at respectable 1080p/30 FPS standard on a base PS4. some already considers this super funny (PC people most likely) but at least it was a standard, albeit a low standard for some, while being a okay standard for others (like me)

LIKE it or not, NATIVE 4K 30 FPS and 60 FPS modes with 1200-1440p upscaled to 4K SHOULD BE A STANDARD. on these consoles.

RDR 2 could run native 4K 60 FPS on a PS5 or a SERIES X. never forget that. Rockstar is not giving this update purposefully so that people cannot use their game as a solid argument to moan about other games that look much worse than RDR2 while hurdling around 1200p to hit 60 FPS, such as AC Valhalla and more. they're doing other game developers a favor by not letting RDR2 run rampant on those nextgen consoles.

if everyone were to think like you; we would have RDR2/TLOU2 looking like a minor improvement over RDR1/TLOU1 while being 900p 30 FPS on a PS4 pro. this is quite literally what happens here with Forspoken. (and of course, 400p 30 fps on base ps4. But yeah, "hurr durr so much technicality people just enjor ur games. let them optimize it for 400p, who cares, you are not gamers"

Last edited:
not tlou2 eh. tlou2 run at 1440p-like resolution with a locked 30 fps on a super old archaic GCN 3 GPU chip that tops out at 4.2 tflops with 2.2 jag cores (enormously low IPC) and an accompanying 5400 RPM harddisk and only 8 gb of available memory budget [also, Tlou part 2 on PS4 ALSO looked better than this despite being at 1080p)

this game runs around average of 1300p like resolution at 30 fps target on an improved RDNA2 10 tflops GPU core combined powerful ryzen cores with super high speed tech SSD and 16 GB of total memory, all while being completely free of "lastgen" consoles, so the game in question is completely designed around the said nextgen consoles' featureset, since it must rely on its features to be nextgen exclusive

it literally WASTES multiple times of resources compared to the LIKES of tlou2 (there are COUNTLESS lastgen titles that look WAY better than this one). it is impossible to understand your stance on this.

you tout about how consoles are superior when it comes to managing resources and how they get more performance and optimal graphics quality ouf ot them. this game literally trashes that single most important aspect of consoles: yet you're simply okay with it? WOW man. just WOW.

what technicality are you talking about? CONSOLE games must adhere to certain standards. THANKS to those standards, gow/tlou2 and likes run at respectable 1080p/30 FPS standard on a base PS4. some already considers this super funny (PC people most likely) but at least it was a standard, albeit a low standard for some, while being a okay standard for others (like me)

LIKE it or not, NATIVE 4K 30 FPS and 60 FPS modes with 1200-1440p upscaled to 4K SHOULD BE A STANDARD. on these consoles.

RDR 2 could run native 4K 60 FPS on a PS5 or a SERIES X. never forget that. Rockstar is not giving this update purposefully so that people cannot use their game as a solid argument to moan about other games that look much worse than RDR2 while hurdling around 1200p to hit 60 FPS, such as AC Valhalla and more. they're doing other game developers a favor by not letting RDR2 run rampant on those nextgen consoles.

if everyone were to think like you; we would have RDR2/TLOU2 looking like a minor improvement over RDR1/TLOU1 while being 900p 30 FPS on a PS4 pro. this is quite literally what happens here with Forspoken. (and of course, 400p 30 fps on base ps4. But yeah, "hurr durr so much technicality people just enjor ur games. let them optimize it for 400p, who cares, you are not gamers"
Thank you for laying it all out. I can't believe anyone can look at this game and think "yeah, this is good for a next gen exclusive game". I'm losing respect rapidly for Rofif due to this thread. He has low standards and thinks we all should too.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

To me the importance of graphics dwindled long ago. Games come and go and some look better than others. I've played a lot of NMH3, Sonic Frontiers and Elden Ring last year. No graphical and technical showcases but I had fun with them.

Forspoken looks like a fun romp when bought on sale. I thought the demo was okay, I liked playing this one more than FFXV for sure. The worst offender to me isn't the graphics or performance per se (the performance is passable on 120hz mode), rather its the lighting. This game looks flat because of the terrible implementation.

Arun1910

I guess the point is that everything you see is always "Still in Development", things can change.

Yeah, it is scummy that they probably KNOW they will have to downgrade and choose to show off the glossiest version, but that's marketing.

I think it's down to the consumer to realise that all pre release footage is subject to change.

Always look at footage that releases just a few months before release to get a better idea on the actual state of the game, as the last few months are usual bug fixing.

SkylineRKR

But does it?, does it honestly look better than FF XV on PS4? I'm not seeing it.

Base PS4 idk. FFXV on PS5 might look better because of the more vibrant color and 60fps. But anything past a few yards in the distance looks horrible in FFXV imo. Forspokens movement is also way better.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
They use development kits to build the game...then once running on actual hardware they have to make changes in order to keep good framerate. Not rocket science.

Knightime_X

If you say so...I could swear graphic setting are barely the same on pc, outside some thing here and there and higher resolution .
Pc has a demo.
You can make it look better than the screenshots provided in the thread.

Without dlss, my 2060 super was sweating with just the default settings.

Comandr

This game is a colossal swing and a miss for me. Artistically, I think the game is awful. Everything is over designed and terrible. Bears and crocodiles… but with spikes all over their bodies! I’m not even going to get into why from a practical or biological standpoint those features wouldn’t make sense. Suffice to say things like that really kill my sense of immersion.

Maybe some warrior will come by and tell me how those spikes are how they breathe and I should feel bad for my words and deeds but for the time being the cascade of poor design choices for the sake of making something cool or fantastical is indefensible.

It is astounding how much the lighting looks like it was downgraded since 2021.

And then add annoying banter that literally never stops.

Honestly I wouldn’t play this game even if it was free.

rofif

Banned
Happy I could make you laugh luca_29_bg luca_29_bg
I even made him laugh with the post where I actually went to the location of cropped/compressed screenshot purposefully made to shit on the game and provided a 4k screengrab.

gGkcoxC.png

:LOL:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'd argue from a lighting perspective, it's def. a downgrade compared to release. But overall, at a glance, it looks pretty faithful to what was previewed, not nearly as egregious as we've all seen in the past.

I think people are conflating a "downgrade" with an overall disappointment in visuals across the board of the last 3ish years or so in gaming in general. Frankly, with only a few exceptions, games just haven't progressed graphically as drastically as people "think" they should be. Or their not seeing what actual physical hardware can do.

We've seen MASSIVE improvements in lighting in games over the last few years in a number of titles, but if you don't know what you're looking it's easy to say that the the "baked" lighting looks better/as good than real time global illumination and that the "graphics" should be spent elsewhere. Which, in fairness, I think cam hold some merit in a lot of cases. But people's expectations don't line up with reality in what is actually possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom