• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to actually get a PS5 these days?

elco

I snagged one during preorder, but I had no idea they'd still be hard to get nearly a year later. I have several friends that are trying to find one, but even with these ps5 stock watcher apps, they've been unsuccessful. Does anyone have any tips? Any end to this shortage in sight?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i guess preorder + patient is the only way.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

qa0061ydw2551.png

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think there maybe a chance over summer. Demand in retail on all computing seems to be falling, now I am sure the PS5 will still sell out in seconds but there maybe a chance that there is a few less people searching for tech goods in summer before it goes insane for Xmas again?

No idea, but good luck!

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
Went to my local videogame shop where i always buy my stuff for the last 14 years. One of the guys working there, someone i've been talking to for at least a decade, said to me "We just reveived 5 PS5. You want one?". I said "How much?".
Turns out he had the disk model for 450 euros with my fidelity card. They put a nice sticker with my name on it on the box and i'm going to bring it home on saturday. I wasn't expecting it to be that easy.

Camreezie

Second hand retailers have some stock but the price is till extortionate. Source: I work for a second hand retailer and got mine there

I'd say the best way is to follow some twitter alerts. It worked for me. You just need to have an account created in a few online stores in order to buy one very quickly when there is some stock. And there will inevitably heve some in stock in one of those stores cause they actually produced and sell a bit more PS5 than PS4 during the same launch period.

Last edited:
Pre-order, some loyalty programs have had batches of PS5s for members only, scalper.

Or invitation to PS direct.
Following thread had some quality tips and tricks on how to get on that list. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Stop following wario64, by the time you get an update they're most likely sold out. Join the stock tracker discord for PS5. Keep it up on a second monitor while you do whatever. When someone posts a link in the discord, click it and buy your PS5.

The reason you aren't getting one is because twitter is ass and slower than a chat room. It's not hard if you really want one.

HoofHearted

Pre-order, some loyalty programs have had batches of PS5s for members only, scalper.

Or invitation to PS direct.
Following thread had some quality tips and tricks on how to get on that list. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
All I see on that thread is discussion about Jim's wiener?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I've never seen one for sale, and where I live you can't even pre-order, or get in some sort of line for one. I'm waiting for the Slim though, so I don't care.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm on the verge of giving up. I really want to play the next gen version of FIFA, so if I can't get one or a XSX by October I'll have to settle for the XSS.

Last edited:

Gee

I subscribed to a notification bot on telegram and was able to fetch 2 within 3 weeks on one of the Wednesday drops. (The other one was for a friend and no profit was made in the process :) )
Stock still runs out within 5 minutes so it helps to have an account on the sites where you are willing to order.

Location was Netherlands.

Last edited:

Hugare

I got one here in Brazil because I joined 3-4 groups on Whatsapp where people who work at Amazon and etc. post in advance when they'll have some in stock

I wasnt even planning to buy one right now, but opportunity came up, saw the notification on time and got mine

But you kinda have to work for it, it aint easy

5 minutes after a new batch arrives, its already gone

PS: Brazil is a 3rd world country, PS5 costs about $800 on retail, but it still gets sold out in 5 minutes. The demand for the PS5 is insane everywhere.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, just don't buy a digital PS5. It's a trap.

EDIT: wow the disc edition bundle at $739.96 at Gamestop. They have no shame.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
By doing one of three things, submitting yourself to the scapers and buy it at a high cost, continue to wait till one is available to buy if you are quick enough, or just give up cause that is what I did.

Rayderism

If Sony sends me one of those emails, I might take advantage of that, otherwise I'll continue to wait until I can just walk into Wal-Mart or Best Buy to get one, however long that might be.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got an invitation to buy one from the PlayStation store tomorrow so hopefully that's how I buy it

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Been following some Twitter accounts and almost pulled trigger a few times but could only get insane bundles in cart for check out so f that. Got a long wait till another game I want shows up so no rush.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm on the verge of giving up. I really want to play the next gen version of FIFA, so if I can't get one or a XSX by October I'll have to settle for the XSS.
Join the stock checker discord, turn on notifications, leave your phone on loud, click the link as soon as you’re alerted.

Got 2 digital editions within 2 weeks of joining the group (Game and Amazon).

If you miss the link by even a minute you’ll be number 10,000 in the queue.

Bots always go for standalone consoles, so choose a bundle with a game/voucher/controller if you are desperate.

Use Amazon Smile instead of regular Amazon (I got the regular digital standalone this way, the regular website froze and you had literally 5 mins to check out on Smile, no issues).

This is UK btw.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Get an App called “HotStock” from Android or Apple, and set up perimeters for alerts. It’s actually a really great app, no ads, free, etc. It can send you alerts based on LOCAL stock (say, for pickup at Target) or for online stock. It worked for me getting a Series X.

I will add that Best Buy seems to have a decent system, but it requires patience - when they get stock, you are told to click wait until the “add to cart” button turns yellow and then click. While it may seem tedious to watch the screen for 5-10 minutes, it’s the best anti-scalping measure I’ve seen across any retailer and it seems to work.

But yeah, HotStock is an amazing resource.

AzullAbaddon

Neo Member
There are several twitter follows that will let you know when a retailer goes live very fast.

They will also give you notice when a sony direct is going live. The direct is basically a lottery system. You will sign in and wait until the time the direct starts. When it starts everyones wait time will be a hour but, if you are lucky, it will quickly go down.

I was lucky enough to get one from Best Buy after seeing someone I follow say they went up...and then later that week I was able to get one via a Direct for a buddy so it is possible.

ReBurn

Gold Member
There are several twitter follows that will let you know when a retailer goes live very fast.

They will also give you notice when a sony direct is going live. The direct is basically a lottery system. You will sign in and wait until the time the direct starts. When it starts everyones wait time will be a hour but, if you are lucky, it will quickly go down.

I was lucky enough to get one from Best Buy after seeing someone I follow say they went up...and then later that week I was able to get one via a Direct for a buddy so it is possible.
I was able to snag XSX by following a Twitter user so that method does work. You just need to be ready to act fast.

The challenge with a lot of restocks is that a many of them are bundles so you have to be ready to add another $200 to your purchase to get one. A lot of people can't pay it or don't want the extras. I was lucky enough to find a Sam's bundle that did have extras I wanted.

Hopefully I get a PS5 tomorrow with my PlayStation direct invitation.

Haggard

Banned
I got 5 PS5s over the course of 3 months by simply following the twitter bots and having a few scripts for some shops ready. You have to react immediately but for most of us the smartphone is probably never far away anyways.

Last edited:

WoodyStare

I was just able to secure a GameStop bundle just by using the HotStock app. Did it this way with the Series X as well, worked like a charm both times.

Woggleman

Luck. A coworker of mine accidently bought a digital only version and she sold it to me for only fifty bucks beyond market price. Somehow she managed to get a disc version within a week which is impressive.

Top Bottom