• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Build a Forest (pssst, anyone interested in climate change)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Solid video. I think anyone who has a passing interest in climate change should give it a watch.

Moving forward, our bureaucratic efforts to reduce carbon emissions isn't doing jack when third-world countries are modernizing. The focus should be carbon sequestration, which I've posted about extensively. The video gives a shocking amount of sensible ideas in a short 10m video.

- biodiversity is key to building long-term forests
- China's Great Green Wall has sadly suffered massive losses and setbacks due to a lack of diversity
- the author explains some interesting possible scenarios we could use to increase the number of trees (and biodiversity)
- long-term sequestration payoff of rebuilding peat bogs and even natural coal, all while improving biodiversity and health of the planet

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Cool. So we screwed ourselves releasing a ton of CO2 in the atmosphere by burning coal while at the same time killing a ton a forests/trees which would've stored the extra CO2 that we were releasing causing even more damage and now we gotta play catch up by slowing down the release of emissions through cleaner energy & growing more trees to store more of the emissions. Now, when we build the forests we have to pick the right set of tree species to plant to make sure that if one tree species is wiped out from like a caterpillar we still have the other tree species that can survive and provide stability to the forest & we still have to make sure that there are animals from each part of the food chain especially the apex predators to keep the herbivores in check from eating all of a key tree/plant species that plays a critical role in the stability of a forest although we still need the plant eaters to spread the seeds of the plants and also for pollination...so when we build the forests we also have to introduce the animals that can be the caretakers of the forest as well & allow the forest to flourish & live for a long time creating a living, breathing entity made up of many different organisms.

Papa

Banned

Solid video. I think anyone who has a passing interest in climate change should give it a watch.

Moving forward, our bureaucratic efforts to reduce carbon emissions isn't doing jack when third-world countries are modernizing. The focus should be carbon sequestration, which I've posted about extensively. The video gives a shocking amount of sensible ideas in a short 10m video.

- biodiversity is key to building long-term forests
- China's Great Green Wall has sadly suffered massive losses and setbacks due to a lack of diversity
- the author explains some interesting possible scenarios we could use to increase the number of trees (and biodiversity)
- long-term sequestration payoff of rebuilding peat bogs and even natural coal, all while improving biodiversity and health of the planet

Haven’t watched the video yet but just based on your summary I would like to know how this could rebuild natural coal given that it takes millions of years to form.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Haven’t watched the video yet but just based on your summary I would like to know how this could rebuild natural coal given that it takes millions of years to form.
Feasibly we could attempt to create artificial coal since peat is the first step in that direction, though I suppose by the time we figure out how to do that we probably have the technology to move off it.

Papa

Banned
Feasibly we could attempt to create artificial coal since peat is the first step in that direction, though I suppose by the time we figure out how to do that we probably have the technology to move off it.

Unless we can somehow figure out how to mass produce coal on a timescale in the order of years, not decades or centuries let alone millennia, I don’t think new coal will be part of the solution. However, existing coal reserves must be.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I like forests, I think humans know how to destroy land and build land, if humans can plant more trees that's obviously a positive.

Even without diverse plantations over 2/3rds of china's planted efforts survived. i.e an area the size of the existing amazon forest. Keep planting.

Top Bottom