• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to fix the Xbox Dashboard for Scarlett

ethomaz

Banned
This process is exactly the same on both the PS4 and XB1. Both systems put recently played games at the start and require you to dive deeper (ie: Library) to get to other games.
Yeap like I said.
The difference is how you pin and the space for latest played games.

Yep, considering microsoft has decades of experience creating UI's, I'm dumbfounded at just how awful/unusable the xbox dashboard is.
Have you ever used any other desktop environment? This is not why windows is popular.

I'm not saying it's the worse, or that it's all bad (windows is my main desktop environment) but, MS has always tried to do the one size fits all when it comes to OSes.

They had success with win95 on the desktop, they pushed the same GUI on their NT and mobile offerings in the late 90s... Then held on to it until they had pressure from the iPhone, Android & iPad So they came up with metro for windows 8, and windows phone reboot, which came from their failed zune mp3 player. They tried to push the exact same fullscreen GUI across all products, that includes the Xbox, for better or for worse.

My contacts with the Xbox one GUI has been off putting at best, as it is it doesn't work well for a controller interface, it just gets in your way, and it's bloated with unnecessary features. Plus the dashboard invasion (mind you I'm slightly annoyed by Sony's product placement, but the Xbox is on a whole other level).

You need to get some glasses. Advertising for the old tile layout to get back, says a lot about you. The Xbox UI is actually the best right now when you compare it to the shit, Nintendo or Sony produced.
I'm sorry, but the other consoles don't get in your way of doing whatever you want to do on a games console, and they are very snappy.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
You doesn't even need Folders on PS4... it works in a way everything will be always ready to use from the beginning.
It is minimalist but the job is done... you boot your console and the game you want to play is there... just hit and profit.
It is basic, easy, fast and intuitive... you don't need to mess with configs, or pins, or get used to shortcuts to make it better.

Switch is another good example of great UI.
The Xbox One UI is the same, though. The last game you played is sitting right there waiting for you when you turn it on. If you install a new game the tile is right there waiting for you. You can get to all of your games and apps from an icon on the first page.

This whole thing is just...wrong.

Esppiral

The Xbox One has the questionable honor of having the most unresponsive and awful UI ever, they need to address this ASAP.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
To add a bit more.

Folders were added to PS4 but the system was build initially to not have folders so when you add Folders instead the OS shows the games you played to easy play again in order it shows the Folder the game you played... it is awful.

I tried to use Folders a lot of time but it is better and faster without it.

Of course that is how I find better for me... maybe Folders works well for others but I don't like how it shows the Folder instead the game as the last played.

I don't like that way...

386568-AA.jpg
PS4's UI does a lot right, Microsoft's dashboard is straight embarrassing.

Mattyp

Gold Member
You don't need to scroll anything... you just need to search the game just like you do to Pin it.

I have 50+ games installed on my PS4, tell me how I do not have to scroll to the left to access those titles I haven't played in months. Please do. That is quicker than selecting a pinned tile on the xbox homepage.

You do not have to search games to pin them, have you ever used an xbox? When a game is finished installing (xbox keeps the most recently played games up front to I know ridiculous) press the options button while the tile is selected and select 'pin'

All games are also under Library with search function. Anyone who claims XB1 UI is not slow is a liar. Period. lol

I never claimed the original UI is not slow? I claimed the opposite for the OG systems if you read up a few comments. On the X however it isn't.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I have 50+ games installed on my PS4, tell me how I do not have to scroll to the left to access those titles I haven't played in months. Please do. That is quicker than selecting a pinned tile on the xbox homepage.

You do not have to search games to pin them, have you ever used an xbox? When a game is finished installing (xbox keeps the most recently played games up front to I know ridiculous) press the options button while the tile is selected and select 'pin'
If you finished installing the game doesn't need pin lol it shows near you.
You only need to search in Library or Store old games.
You don't need to even scroll to left lol

And yes... you have to search the old game to pin on Xbox One... you are dumb comparing a pinned game on Xbox One with a old unpinned game on PS4 lol if the game is already automatically pinned on PS4 you don't need to search lol

It just like PS4... the difference Xbox One you have to pin manually while PS4 do that automatically like I explained before.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
If you finished installing the game doesn't need pin lol it shows near you.
You only need to search in Library or Store old games.
You don't need to even scroll to left lol

And yes... you have to search the old game to pin on Xbox One.

It just like PS4... the difference Xbox One you have to pin manually while PS4 do that automatically.

I'm not sure if you're being purposely stupid or just trolling at this stage.

I pin the game after it finishes installing on every new title, it is now pinned for life on my dashboard with one press of a button. I do not need to use the search function every time I wish to play an old title or any title I didn't play last.

This is vastly superior then your solution of searching for a title name every time I wish to play one on my PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not sure if you're being purposely stupid or just trolling at this stage.

I pin the game after it finishes installing on every new title, it is now pinned for life on my dashboard with one press of a button. I do not need to use the search function every time I wish to play an old title or any title I didn't play last.

This is vastly superior then your solution of searching for a title name every time I wish to play one on my PS4.
Unless something changed that I'm not aware pins are limited... you can't have more than 40 (?) pins after Aug 2017 update (it was 18 only before)... so no you can't pin all games for life that shows how you didn't even know what you are talking about.
Even if you can have infinite pins you will create a list with 50+ games to scroll lol just what you are chilling about PS4 lol

And no it is not superior imo for the reasons I already explained...

Last edited:
Personally, I would like it if it didn't take a weekend to boot the fucking thing up. I have an X, which loads quicker than a standard One but I can still boil the kettle, have a shit, read the paper and mow the lawn before it turns on and loads up.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Some hot takes in this thread...

Personally, I would like it if it didn't take a weekend to boot the fucking thing up. I have an X, which loads quicker than a standard One but I can still boil the kettle, have a shit, read the paper and mow the lawn before it turns on and loads up.

Like this. Mine takes about 4 seconds. If I turn the xbox on, then my TV (LG C7) its usually booted into the menu before the TV fully turns on.

Xbox one UI lags coz it's designed for console which supposed to stay connected online 24/7. Everything is tied to Live server. Once you disconnect Xbox one dashboard gets really fast but also loses almost all icons and functionality. They need to design UI same way they design 360 UI which was not tied to server. They nees Blades or NXE like UI.

ethomaz

Banned
Like this. Mine takes about 4 seconds. If I turn the xbox on, then my TV (LG C7) its usually booted into the menu before the TV fully turns on.
That is not the boot he is talking about... your console was not turned off to resume in 4s... neither the PS4 do that.

Last edited:
In
This comment would indicate that the interface is super easy for you to do what you want to do. The fact that there is a bunch of features that you choose not to use doesn't mean that they shouldn't exist.
Interface easy to use but it's laggy and takes while to load stuff. Though guide button and it's features not laggy now

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I never claimed the original UI is not slow? I claimed the opposite for the OG systems if you read up a few comments. On the X however it isn't.

It's still slow, EVEN on the X. I have owned all 3. Switch and PS4 UI's are much faster than the X.

Neff

I have less than no interest in the NextBox despite owning a 360 and a XB1, and XB1's horrific UI is a major contributing factor to that decision.

I mean I'm not on board with PS5 yet either, but at least I know it'll be easy and simple to use.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Xbox one UI lags coz it's designed for console which supposed to stay connected online 24/7. Everything is tied to Live server. Once you disconnect Xbox one dashboard gets really fast but also loses almost all icons and functionality. They need to design UI same way they design 360 UI which was not tied to server. They nees Blades or NXE like UI.
This is correct. If you do not have super fast internet, prepare to be bogged down with a thousand things trying to load in at the same time. They need to either eliminate these live tiles or significantly optimize them.

Last edited:

SquillieDee

Ive never had an issue with the XB1 dashboard. You can customize what is important you, there are pins, groups etc. You can customize you background. If you ever have any trouble finding anything, you simply press Y and search for. I find it very easy to use. I think any issues with sluggishness have to do with your internet speed.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Or like this...

Cold launch take more than four seconds.

Why on Earth are you not using quick boot on either console? The damn things silent, and uses barely any power. Seems like an issue because you can’t be bothered to use it right. PS4 also takes an age to turn on from a cold boot, only there, best hope you don’t have an error, other wise enjoy your massive file check delay.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Unless something changed that I'm not aware pins are limited... you can't have more than 40 (?) pins after Aug 2017 update (it was 18 only before)... so no you can't pin all games for life that shows how you didn't even know what you are talking about.
Even if you can have infinite pins you will create a list with 50+ games to scroll lol just what you are chilling about PS4 lol

And no it is not superior imo for the reasons I already explained...

You know you can have groups of pins right? Unlimited groups? Like my very first post stated, with 40 in each? Right? 40 is just the number per group so it can still resize them correctly to display them all at once on the screen. Turn an xbox on sometime before commenting about it telling me I'm wrong because you just read its limited to 40 total online when you googled it and found an update about pins.

40 Games get displayed at once on the home screen all visible, press down once on the dpad. Get another 40 displayed at once.

It's still slow, EVEN on the X. I have owned all 3. Switch and PS4 UI's are much faster than the X.

What's your network speed like others have stated? Never experienced it once on my X but I do have fibre. I won't dismiss it lagged on the originals it did.

Last edited:
LOL at people wanting blades back. They were great when games ran from disc and there were only a few XBLA games and no apps but they'd be an abomination nowadays.

LOLCats

Banned
I dont know what i want in a console UI at this point.

Some days i want more tiles or rows and other days i want NO tiles or Rows. For me the Xbox UI is too cluttered, so in that sense PS UI wins out. But then again, I would like a second row of tiles in the PS UI (also an option for smaller tiles...) at the same time.

in my opinion, Xbox UI is now bloated and there are too many advertisements for xbox services and BS. its obnoxious.

PS UI design is also winning because i can actually see my wallpaper and have it sort of clean.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What's your network speed like others have stated? Never experienced it once on my X but I do have fibre. I won't dismiss it lagged on the originals it did.

Yes, I had a good internet connection when I tried it on my X and it was still slow. Even turned off Smooth transitions as some have suggested.

Anyone who claims the XB1X isn't sluggish, even compared to the PS4 & Switch are complete liars. Tried it offline and online and the problem still there.. I've been through the first XB1, XB1S and XB1X.. Still, it's not as fast as the Switch and PS4.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

LOL at people wanting blades back. They were great when games ran from disc and there were only a few XBLA games and no apps but they'd be an abomination nowadays.

This, the blades interface was great for its time. But in the day and age where all games can be downloaded digitally, and apps are much more prevalent now, it'd just be dated and awful.

I have no issue with the UI. Everything is only a few clicks away when navigating. I do however have an og Xbox one and there is noticeable delay when switching between tabs. That would be my biggest complaint. I also don't use quick start when I turn it on, so it does take little bit to load up. I wouldn't call it unbearable or anything though. It is highly customizable, which is good for me.

This comment would indicate that the interface is super easy for you to do what you want to do. The fact that there is a bunch of features that you choose not to use doesn't mean that they shouldn't exist.

It indicates that the UI is a prime example of bloat. And this is on an xboner X. On a plain xbox one the UI is actually stuttery and slow.

Nintendo switch has the best interface. It's simple and plain.

Last edited:
Why on Earth are you not using quick boot on either console? The damn things silent, and uses barely any power. Seems like an issue because you can’t be bothered to use it right. PS4 also takes an age to turn on from a cold boot, only there, best hope you don’t have an error, other wise enjoy your massive file check delay.
Something something climate change. something something

Amazing. So because the xbox takes an eternity to load up, i'm not using it right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Who's talking about PS4?

fanboy wars are as stronk as ever on this forum :pie_eyeroll:

II_JumPeR_I

Pins > Horizontal Line with Folders

I have a great overview of all my 80 installed games on my Xbox.

I dont think someone on PS4 with 80 installed games would say the same

ethomaz

Banned
You know you can have groups of pins right? Unlimited groups? Like my very first post stated, with 40 in each? Right? 40 is just the number per group so it can still resize them correctly to display them all at once on the screen. Turn an xbox on sometime before commenting about it telling me I'm wrong because you just read its limited to 40 total online when you googled it and found an update about pins.

40 Games get displayed at once on the home screen all visible, press down once on the dpad. Get another 40 displayed at once.
Ohhhh changing the talk after exposed lol
I don't need to search on google to know Groups are limited too but hey keep falsely saying it is unlimited :D and I knew pis were limited before google.

You just don't have ideia how the Xbox One UI works.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Works fine, it's actually more easily accessible, configurable and faster than the PS4 UI in terms of getting to things.

While I’ve grown to agree with this, I do think they need to up the speed. If I don’t restart my system every few days, it runs really slow.

dottme

It’s while reading thread like this that I was thinking most of the Xbox UI issue were fix. So I decided to buy an Xbox One X.
But the UI is terrible and s huge mess. It’s covered with advertisement everywhere that you cannot remove.
The home screen is probably 80% useless shot and 20% in the corner for games.
It is slow as hell to boot. Especially when you compare to the Switch.

For me it is so bad that my PS4 pro is still my main console for multi platform games. Even if the game run better on Xbox One X, I still prefer to play it on PS4 as it is easier and faster to start.

It’s while reading thread like this that I was thinking most of the Xbox UI issue were fix. So I decided to buy an Xbox One X.

But the UI is terrible and s huge mess. It’s covered with advertisement everywhere that you cannot remove.

" Advertisement everywhere.."

I hate such stupid liars.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS4's UI does a lot right, Microsoft's dashboard is straight embarrassing.
Simplicity in console dashboards does a lot good for everyone, if a complex design comes out from either of the big 3 it better be polarizing. Find me someone who hates Mac OS, it's simple and great.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Ohhhh changing the talk after exposed lol
I don't need to search on google to know Groups are limited too but hey keep falsely saying it is unlimited :D and I knew pis were limited before google.

You just don't have ideia how the Xbox One UI works.

I can't be bothered with this argument anymore its like talking to a brick wall with bad spelling, but if you get bored start creating groups on your xbox so we can all see that you actually own one and how many it's limited to if its not unlimited.

Find me someone who hates Mac OS, it's simple and great.

The vast majority of PC users.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Simplicity in console dashboards does a lot good for everyone, if a complex design comes out from either of the big 3 it better be polarizing. Find me someone who hates Mac OS, it's simple and great.
Mac is the pinnacle of the user interface and should be used as exemple.
While the prices are prohibitive for most everybody that tried it found it intuitive and more organized than Windows OSs.

User Interface should be the key for any OS... that is why I can't stay with Linux and the lack of standard for UI.

Last edited:

Roberts

For me it is so bad that my PS4 pro is still my main console for multi platform games. Even if the game run better on Xbox One X, I still prefer to play it on PS4 as it is easier and faster to start.

Apologies, but this is super silly. Let's consider that Xbox UI is really terrible (which it is not if you know how to use it). Even then, it would be like preferring to eat at McD instead of that amazing burger food truck next to it only because the waiting is shorter and you can pay with a card.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Ignoring simple stuff like last game played or installed, the stuff you do less often is the confusing stuff. I once spent a good chunk of time trying to figure out how to redeem a code. I even tried using Kinect because I read you can scan the barcode. Low and behold they removed this feature. So I went through the UI looking everywhere. It was buried to the right half way down the store page. WTF?

It is just not an intuitive UI. It's fine if you live in it every day, but if you sometimes go weeks between using it, it can be confusing.

ethomaz

Banned
Apologies, but this is super silly. Let's consider that Xbox UI is really terrible (which it is not if you know how to use it). Even then, it would be like preferring to eat at McD instead of that amazing burger food truck next to it only because the waiting is shorter and you can pay with a card.
Well everytime I go to mall and there is big lines on the others places I choose Mc Donalds just because I can make my order in few minutes and start to eat.

Your hungry won't wait these big line ups for food.

I think you used a bad analogy because most will choose Mc Donalds because it is fast... and card is a killer feature because most buyers today didn't have money on wallets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom