• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to not blow up a super famicom?

Today I received something pretty special in the mail. A Super Famicom. Little did I realize that the SFC I bought didn't come with a power adapter. I hadn't noticed it wasn't included with the other cords when I bought it (FYI I'm in North America).

So the power cords the SFC uses is AC 100 V 50/60 Hz (input) > 10 VDC 850 mA (output).

I have with me, an adapter that says "120VAC 60 Hz > 12 VDC 1200 mA"

Just from google and reading a comment on a forum that seems to be from someone who knows what he's talking about,

Concerning voltage: The Super Famicom has a 7805 voltage regulator inside. The voltage regulator has an operating range of 7V to 35V with more heat being produced at higher voltages. Its output is 5V across that input range. Your Super Famicom will just as happily run with 9V as it would 10V.

Can I "happily" put this 12 VDC 1200 mA adapter into my SFC without ruining my new toy? The plug I have seems to fit ... or at least 80% of it.

NqDp9.png

... Help?

Dwayne

Here's what you need
Super Famicom 10V DC 850mA (+)----(o----(-) Outer Diameter: 5.5mm | Inner Diameter: 2.1mm

You can have more mA, but you can't have less. You can afford to go 1V either side of 10v, but no more. The polarity (the + - thing) has to exactly match what I have there - centre pin negative. And of course, it has to be providing DC, not AC. Meet that criteria and you'll be fine.

Here's what you need
Super Famicom 10V DC 850mA (+)----(o----(-) Outer Diameter: 5.5mm | Inner Diameter: 2.1mm

You can have more mA, but you can't have less. You can afford to go 1V either side of 10v, but no more. The polarity (the + - thing) has to exactly match what I have there - centre pin negative. And of course, it has to be providing DC, not AC. Meet that criteria and you'll be fine.

What about the quote suggesting that everything up to 35V is fine as long, because of the 3805 voltage regulator?

Your cable doesn't even fit, so don't worry about that.

Between now and my original post I went to radioshack and they sold me one that does fit perfectly and they asked if they could turn it off. I figured one second wouldn't hurt, so I did so and it did turn on. Tried it again at home and it does turn on but there's no picture (the screen lights up, but nothing more).

Did I fry it?

tsumineko

Between now and my original post I went to radioshack and they sold me one that does fit perfectly and they asked if they could turn it off. I figured one second wouldn't hurt, so I did so and it did turn on. Tried it again at home and it does turn on but there's no picture (the screen lights up, but nothing more).

Did I fry it?

Yeah you.... probably shouldn't have done that. Next time just order an adaptor from ebay or something that's Genesis 1 compatible.

Aeana

It's possible the AV cables aren't working. Do you have a GC or N64? Those cables are compatible, if you have them laying around.

OP I'd suggest just testing a few different AC and A/V cables. Obviously you don't have the originals, so it's worth a shot experimenting to see if anything works.

On another forum (... signifies reply)

I tried booting my SNES up yesterday - it still works. Trouble is, I cannot find the official power adaptor or controllers, so I'm using an external HDD power adaptor.

The adaptor chucks out 12v; the SNES only requires 9v, IIRC. Presumably I risk damaging the console if I continue using the set up I have?

You should be ok for the short term, IIRC the SNES has a 5V internal regulator, probably a standard 7805 so it can handle upto 20V+ input. Although it depends what else is on the supply line.

But as Liam said it would be better to have a multi adaptor, which could be used on other consoles as well.

If I ruined it, would it turn on again?

I think if you ruined it, you probably would have heard popping noises and a horrible smoke smell that would not leave your room for several weeks.

At least in my experience from ruining electronics by plugging in the wrong power supply.

I tried it a few times and got a logo to begin to appear and then nothing more. Took it out of the room to try it with an RGB cord and it will no longer turn on.

I guess that's that. : ( Merry Christmas everyone.

Top Bottom