• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to play MAJORA'S MASK

Rich!

Is it three hours? I'll update the OP if you're sure.

Absolutely 100% dead sure. Trust me. It's three hours, one hour per day.

Link can play the Inverted Song of Time to slow the flow of time which will slow it down to 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) for each game hour, exactly three hours for an entire cycle.[6]

You need to change the OP as you are making it sound worse than it is

I'd also recommend dedicating full cycles just to exploring and talking to NPCs in order to better understand how they are related. There's more than meets the eye to pretty much every place and character in this game.

Levyne

Banned
All that said, I think focusing on a single task per cycle is really boring. With the way events are spread out, you'll end up with a lot of waiting around for the next trigger playing that way. Even with the ability to pick specific times, it's way more interesting doing multiple things at once, trying to find events that don't overlap and trying to fit both in a cycle.

I generally agree, but I feel that the intention of the OP was not to strictly limit a "one thing at a time" mentality, but more of a "don't bite off more than you can chew because you don't have to".

Dimmle

All that said, I think focusing on a single task per cycle is really boring. With the way events are spread out, you'll end up with a lot of waiting around for the next trigger playing that way. Even with the ability to pick specific times, it's way more interesting doing multiple things at once, trying to find events that don't overlap and trying to fit both in a cycle.

Yep. The game is packed with simultaneous events and hidden nooks so you'll never be without something to do, as long as you look. Don't just sit around and watch the clock tick.

KarmaCow

I generally agree, but I feel that the intention of the OP was not to strictly limit a "one thing at a time" mentality, but more of a "don't bite off more than you can chew because you don't have to".

Yea that's fair considering the point of the thread.

Kriken

If you don't mind, I'm doing something similar for the OT and would like to borrow some of what you've got here

Anth0ny

What did you have to do on the first day?

I'm going in as a MM virgin

You are stuck in your deku scrub form and you have to perform a few tasks before midnight on the final day.

I'll spoiler this if anyone wants to figure it out themselves:

1. Get magic from the Great Fairy. You need to find one of the stray fairies hanging around clock town and bring it to the Great Fairy Fountain in North Clock Town. Once you have magic, you can blow bubbles.

2. Immediately outside of the great fairy fountain in North Clock Town is a giant balloon that a kid is trying to burst. You can now burst it with your bubble attack. Do so, and speak to the kid. He is a member of the bombers. You want to be a member of the bombers, too. In order to do this, you need to play hide and seek with the five kids. They will hide all across clock town. Once you find them all, they will give you a code that will allow you to enter the bombers hideout in East Clock Town.

3. Get to the end of the hideout, and you will be in an observatory. Peer into the telescope and look at the moon. A tear will fall outside of the entrance of the observatory. collect it and get back to clock town.

4. The deku scrub in South Clock Town will let you use his deku flower if you give him the moon's tear. Do it. Now you can access into the clock tower with this deku flower. It opens at midnight on the third day.

5. Once inside, shoot a bubble at skull kid. He will drop the ocarina of time. Play the song of time, and you are done the first three days!

Neiteio

I amended the OP -- it should now indicate you have THREE real-life hours per three-day cycle, once you've used the Inverted Song of Time. Not two, but THREE.

I also added a note at the end about how out-of-dungeon items are also retained during time travel.

georly

Absolutely 100% dead sure. Trust me. It's three hours, one hour per day.

You need to change the OP as you are making it sound worse than it is

I amended the OP -- it should now indicate you have THREE real-life hours per three-day cycle, once you've used the Inverted Song of Time. Not two, but THREE.

I also added a note at the end about how out-of-dungeon items are also retained during time travel.

Maybe also update the OP to indicate that you don't need to learn the song of inverted time (and double time) to play it, unlike every other song in every other zelda game.

Rich!

If you don't mind, I'm doing something similar for the OT and would like to borrow some of what you've got here

Doing the OP? I am making some graphics for the hidden songs just to make it clear for people (taking into account the 3DS button layout) Want to use them?

KarmaCow

You are stuck in your deku scrub form and you have to perform a few tasks before midnight on the final day.

I'll spoiler this if anyone wants to figure it out themselves:

Figuring this out by frantically talking to everyone while time is ticking down is such a great experience. It's a really great primer for the entire structure of the game. If it's your first time playing, don't read it.

Kriken

Man, Miiverse will be full of people asking "y can't Zelda turn back to human?" :|

I really feel like the first cycle is a make or break for most newcomers and I hope it's a bit more forgiving for those who don't know what they're doing

Neiteio

I really feel like the first cycle is a make or break for most newcomers and I hope it's a bit more forgiving for those who don't know what they're doing
Yeah, while I appreciate the harrowing experience it presents, the first 72 hours give the wrong impression, I think. They make the game look harder than it is. The only rough three-day cycle is the first one, while you're still a Deku Scrub. Once you get past that, you'll be human and have your ocarina, and at that point you can slow down time and rewind the clock on your own terms.

Those first 72 hours aren't too bad, though, if you just remember to talk to everyone. Make a quick pass through all four quadrants of town (plus the laundry pool). Talk to everyone you meet. One will figure it out in short order.

Eh, that poster is right. There's no point for the default speed anymore.
It's another example of Nintendo embuing optional modes of difficulty in their games. Beat the game with the inverted song of time? Try to not use it at all next playthrough.

I was talking to someone a while ago and he said he loved Pikmin 1 but hated MM for its time limit. Some people just believe whatever somebody tells them.

One thing I've seen people trip up on before is that though you keep bottles when you go back in time, you lose the contents of the bottles. So someone got really mad when they went back in time and lost
Zora eggs

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, while I appreciate the harrowing experience it presents, the first 72 hours give the wrong impression, I think. They make the game look harder tan it is. The only rough three-day cycle is the first one, while you're still a Deku Scrub. Once you get past that, you'll be human and have your ocarina, and at that point you can slow down time and rewind the clock on your own terms.

Those first 72 hours aren't too bad, though, if you just remember to talk to everyone. Make a quick pass through all four quadrants of town (plus the laundry pool). Talk to everyone you meet. One will figure it out in short order.

How is the first cycle rough? Everything is clearly explained to you either through text or environmental clues.

"Go find the Great Fairy"
"Go find my missing piece"
"Hey that guy who was on the ground earlier is now floating using a balloon and I just got a projectile attack."
"Play hide and chase with us"
"Go to our hideout"
"Hey, that scrub in central Clock Town wanted a moon tear"
"All I can do is shoot bubbles so that must be what I need to do to Skull Kid"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The second time I played this game I totally overlooked one of the really important songs. I think it was the one that slows down time? I was kinda amazed they made an essential ability possible to overlook.

Neiteio

How is the first cycle rough? Everything is clearly explained to you either through text or environmental clues.

"Hey that guy who was on the ground earlier is now floating using a balloon and I just got a projectile attack."
"Go to our hideout"
I agree it's logical enough, but I can understand how people cave to the pressure when they're not used to the time dynamic. But like I said, if someone just goes around town talking to everyone, they'll figure it out.

Levyne

Banned

"Go to our hideout"

You're not wrong, but hindsight from someone familiar with the game is always 20/20. I could see it seemingly being a little aimless to someone going in fresh with no clues and might be expecting something else.

Neiteio

The second time I played this game I totally overlooked one of the really important songs. I think it was the one that slows down time? I was kinda amazed they made an essential ability possible to overlook.
The purists will hate this, but I love this game as much as anyone, and I think the Happy Mask Salesman should straight-up tell you about the Inverted Song of Time. It's too useful to risk having it overlooked.

Great thread. I'm so excited to play this game again. Also there are hidden ruppee chests in Clock Town, so its easy to rack up money by getting it, resetting, and repeating.

Also, roll jumping makes you jump as far as the bunny hood.

Neiteio

Great thread. I'm so excited to play this game again. Also there are hidden ruppee chests in Clock Town, so its easy to rack up money by getting it, resetting, and repeating.

Also, roll jumping makes you as far as the bunny hood.
Yep. Let's just say one of the shopkeepers didn't take into account parkour artists when hiding his safe.

Crom

The best part about playing Majora's Mask is TRIAL AND ERROR

Don't listen to other people's advice! That's not the point of the game. What made it so special was that you didn't know what to do at times and there was always a sense of urgency.

If you fuck up or missed and event, go back in time. That's all you need to know.

Yep. It was ahead of its time.

I was also creepy on the 3rd day when you felt the impending doom and everyone was depressed

Cess007

The purists will hate this, but I love this game as much as anyone, and I think the Happy Mask Salesman should straight-up tell you about the Inverted Song of Time. It's too useful to risk having it overlooked.

But you're told, ain't it? It's the scarecrow in the Observatory that tells you that you can play the song inverted and time will go slower. Or i'm remembering wrong?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But you're told, ain't it? It's the scarecrow in the Observatory that tells you that you can play the song inverted and time will go slower. Or i'm remembering wrong?
I believe so, but he used pretty indirect, cryptic language if I remember right. I ended up giving up on that playthrough, and when I tried the game for the third time a few years later it was more obvious to me, haha.

Neiteio

Not sure about the observatory scarecrow, but the scarecrow in the Trading Post in West Clock Town tells you about it. But it's pretty fundamental to the game, so I think they should make it something you could't possibly miss. They should teach you about the Inverted Song of Time in a cutscene or something.

He does! But... cryptically. He says something along the lines of a special song existing that can change the flow of time to go slower. It's pretty obvious as an adult, especially one familiar with the Zelda formula, but newcomers to the series might be confused.

Rich!

yeah, but it's not forced. he talks to you - but then says "hey i know of a certain song that allows you to change time, do you wanna hear?!?!" and most people obviously were like lol no and ended the conversation there and then

Neiteio

yeah, but it's not forced. he talks to you - but then says "hey i know of a certain song that allows you to change time, do you wanna hear?!?!" and most people obviously were like lol no and ended the conversation there and then
I think they should force it on the player. Keep the scarecrows, as reminders, but have the Happy Mask Salesman mention it when you become human again. Have him say something like, "That ocarina in your hand can also slow down time, if you play the song your friend taught, backwards." Something like that but clearer, lol. And add it to the selection of songs displayed when you go to play your ocarina.

Anth0ny

I get the feeling that people giving up on Majora's Mask before finishing the first cycle is the reason why the 3D Zeldas that would follow contained tutorial and dialogue filled, hand holding, super slow intros.

What a shame.

Neiteio

I get the feeling that people giving up on Majora's Mask before finishing the first cycle is the reason why the 3D Zeldas that would follow contained tutorial and dialogue filled, hand holding, super slow intros.

What a shame.
Oh man, I never made that connection before, but you're probably right.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think they should force it on the player. Keep the scarecrows, as reminders, but have the Happy Mask Salesman mention it when you become human again. Have him say something like, "That ocarina in your hand can also slow down time, if you play the song your friend taught, backwards." Something like that but clearer, lol. And add it to the selection of songs displayed when you go to play your ocarina.

Really, I'd just make that first scarecrow in the observatory basement talk to you automatically when you walk in, and tell you about the song outright with no choice to decline. Simple enough. But yeah, actually noting the two variations in your song list would also be quite useful.

The_Lump

Banned

What a shame.

Maybe not directly (it's not like Nintendo got any direct feedback that people were doing that back in those days) but yeah there was some negative feedback from some fans at the time because coming straight from OoT many simply didn't get it. It was a whole different beast when the majority of average fans were expecting/anticipating more of the same. Eventually it likely led to lower sales and as such led Nintendo to the conclusion that it was too bigger step from the norm.

I think it's fair to say it was the last time Nintendo took a real risk with Zelda formula.

NZerker12

So what happens if you exceed the 3 hours, I know the moon probably crashes but do you restart from day 1 afterwards.

Sorry if it is obvious but this will be my second zelda after Wind Waker.

Ninjimbo

Hold up. The game doesn't tell you about the Inverted Song of Time? How did I find out about it then? You can't play the game without that song. I couldn't play the game without that song.

Rich!

Not sure about the observatory scarecrow, but the scarecrow in the Trading Post in West Clock Town tells you about it. But it's pretty fundamental to the game, so I think they should make it something you could't possibly miss. They should teach you about the Inverted Song of Time in a cutscene or something.

I honestly feel that if they hadn't made the song of inverted time so easy to miss, the perception of the game would be far better, and they wouldn't have been forced to make such changes to the system to appease people in the 3DS version.

it's fucking insane.

So what happens if you exceed the 3 hours, I know the moon probably crashes but do you restart from day 1 afterwards.

Sorry if it is obvious but this will be my second zelda after Wind Waker.

yes. you lose all progress and items (apart from weapons/armour/masks/songs) gained in that cycle and restart from day one.

Top Bottom