• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to register for NicoNico to watch tons of rad game footage

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Okay, what's NicoNico? NicoNico is the Japanese Youtube. It's quite a bit better than youtube, though. NicoNico allows for movies much longer than 10 freaking minutes, and it has comment scrolling. What is comment scrolling? Well it's pretty simple, you type in a comment at a certain time, and it scrolls by when someone else watches that video at the time you posted it.

Basically it's like sitting in the living room with your friends watching movies.

Anyway, why you should even give a shit about the Japanese youtube? It's got tons of cool game footage.

The main problem with the site is the registration process. One, you either have to know Japanese, or someone (like me, aren't I nice) will give you a nice walk through. Two, the time limit. If you're registration number is higher than the current 24 hour registration number, you can only view NicoNico from 2AM to 7:00PM Japan time. Lucky for most of you though, that won't be too much of a factor given the time difference.

So, how do I register?
First, go to www.nicovideo.jp and click on this BIG RED BUTTON
wsmc5f.gif

Which will take you to the information screen.
Here is an English version:

315h3q1.png

Once you've done this you'll see the terms of service, who cares, just enter in the secret letter thing and press the button UNDER the box you type in the secret word. If you can't read the secret word, the button to the right will give you a new one.

Once you've done this, wait for the e-mail and click the link to activate your account and then, voila! Happy viewing!

To get you guys started (although, I guess you all won't be able to watch stuff yet) here are some cool vids. And for those who don't read a lick of Japanese, the games section is the 5th tab.

Mario Galaxy:
Soundtrack video: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1456424
Playlist of some guy playing through Mario Galaxy (they are on part 23 right now) http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/2460345/3317870
Some guy beating the manatee race in 52 seconds: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1452286

Earth Defense Force
Last boss Insane: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm606628

Megaman 2
Tool assisted play VS. me(not me, but whoever uploaded) playing at 1.5 speed: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1346010

GTA SA

TAKE TOMMY FLASH: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm780594

Mario
Cheetahmen and Mario, wtf: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1445008

Oblivion
131 videos of some guy playing through Oblivion: http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/2445101/2350574

Crazy ass Mugen tournaments
Mugen strong character (serious wtf moments here) http://www.nicovideo.jp/tag/強キャラ祭

This is just scratching the surface. So everyone start registering so posting links from here won't be such a lost cause.

sprsk

Things you need to know about the comments.

"wwwww" means "lolololololol"
"神" basically means awesome
"ktkr" basically means "omgomg"
"wktk" basically means "I've been waiting for this"

shuri

Banned
What is comment scrolling? Well it's pretty simple, you type in a comment at a certain time, and it scrolls by when someone else watches that video at the time you posted it.
that's.. not a good idea.

Lobster

Banned
sp0rsk said:

wwwww

so 神!

sprsk

snack said:
It keeps asking me to sign up for some premium thing whenever I sign on.

Right now, its 8:10 PM in Japan, you'll have to wait 6 hours from this post to start viewing.

CTLance

shuri said:
that's.. not a good idea.
...to put it mildly.
IIRC 4chan had a field day with that feature some time ago.
I'm sure you can disable that somewhere. At least I hope you can. What say the Jgaffers?

Nonetheless, thanks sporsk. Helpful post is helpful. :D

sprsk

CTLance said:
...to put it mildly.
IIRC 4chan had a field day with that feature some time ago.
I'm sure you can disable that somewhere. At least I hope you can. What say the Jgaffers?

Nonetheless, thanks sporsk. Helpful post is helpful. :D

You can turn off comments by clicking the cmoment button with the little bird on it.

The thing about this, it works soooooooooo well in Japan, but you know the American internet community would ruin this in like 10 minutes with tons of racist shit and advertisements.

Ydahs said:
Interesting. Could you possibly post a pic showing the video quality?

Video quality ranges. They can get really really good as far as flash is concerned.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just registered, thanks sp0rsk.

btw I got this issue with the japanese character set in my browsers: everything appears as ?'s or squares. Do I have to download some character pack or what? It doesn't matter since I don't understand the language anyway, but it's nice to see the original characters instead of this.

sprsk

Darunia said:
Just registered, thanks sp0rsk.

btw I got this issue with the japanese character set in my browsers: everything appears as ?'s or squares. Do I have to download some character pack or what? It doesn't matter since I don't understand the language anyway, but it's nice to see the original characters instead of this.

You have to install the japanese language pack:
http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&P...pt/Language/asianlanguageinstallation_XP.html

It should work if you have Firefox though?

CTLance

sp0rsk said:
You can turn off comments by clicking the cmoment button with the little bird on it.
The thing about this, it works soooooooooo well in Japan, but you know the American internet community would ruin this in like 10 minutes with tons of racist shit and advertisements.
Thanks. Phew.

One nitpick though:
s/American/worldwide/g;
There's a bunch of rotten apples in every community. It doesn't need to be Americans specifically. Just put a bunch of bored teenagers in front of an internet-enabled device and watch the shitstorm unfold.
Some sites' subcategory even made that their motto... now who could that be.

Edit: Waitaminute, did I just lecture a mod on a highly-trafficked internet forum on internet tomfoolery? OH GOD DON'T BAN ME PLS. :lol

Teasel

Smiles and Cries said:
maybe they sent a verifying email with a link you should click to activate?
already did it
it gave me an ID number or something... now if i click it again the ID number doesn't show up anymore and instead i got another window that says 24 something... maybe you have to wait a day before being able to watch videos?
nico2.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I get that same screen Teasel posted too (clicked the link). Isn't it just because we can't start watching vids yet?

sprsk

Teasel said:
already did it
it gave me an ID number or something... now if i click it again the ID number doesn't show up anymore and instead i got another window that says 24 something... maybe you have to wait a day before being able to watch videos?
nico2.jpg

It just says you've already registered.

I think I signed up 3 times already in the past, but each time I forget my password.

and I already forgot the password I made a few days ago.

manzo

Teasel said:
well i insert my email address my password and then end up here
nico.jpg

any help?

I get the same error. The text reads:

""Because the time restriction in NicoNico video is currently on, mr. XXXX cannot login."

"Don't want to wait? Please upgrade to NicoNico premium to get 24h access!"

So it basically means the peak time restrictions are on.. gotta wait 'till evening.

hteng

Banned
sp0rsk said:

"神" means godly

Danj

sp0rsk said:
If your registration number is higher than the current 24 hour registration number, you can only view NicoNico from 2AM to 7:00PM Japan time.

I get the last part, but what exactly does the first part of this sentence mean?

Also, what time zone is Japan in?

sprsk

hteng said:
"神" means godly

Yes. Which is why I put "basically" I'm localizin fo you fools.

Anyway,

right now anyone with a registration number 2,500,001 and above, cannot access the site during peak hours. If your number is below that, you can access 24/7

Danj

sp0rsk said:
right now anyone with a registration number 2,500,001 and above, cannot access the site during peak hours. If your number is below that, you can access 24/7

Oh right. So does this number ever increase?

Also, let me check if I've got this correct, the offpeak hours are 5PM GMT to 10AM GMT?

sprsk

Danj said:
Oh right. So does this number ever increase?

Yeah, every couple months or so. Let's just say if you register now...it's gonna be a while.

I don't know what times you can watch, sorry. It's 2am-7pm here in Japan.

Cowie

Did they change the email requirements? Before i remember having trouble registering with free email, i ended up having to use my .edu to get in, which made things difficult for making others register in order to share absurdity. Are people getting in with like gmail accounts now?

sprsk

Cowie said:
Did they change the email requirements? Before i remember having trouble registering with free email, i ended up having to use my .edu to get in, which made things difficult for making others register in order to share absurdity. Are people getting in with like gmail accounts now?

I registered with my Gmail account.

Danj

Oh, do they require you to use a non-free email address? How do you tell if they rejected the email address you put in?

EDIT: Ah I guess from what sp0rsk says they are accepting gmail and stuff, so that's OK then.

I use nicovid to watch 風魔の小次郎 the drama =O (cuz I can't find it anywhere else)

and I've watched some other random things there and have come across racist crap and just your usual online video trolling

tons of

HIDOIs
SHINEs

&#27611;&#21776;&#20154; <- stupid crap like that

>.<

but yeah now that I know how to turn off comments and when the time is right I sure will :D

Ledsen

wow, the time restriction is PERFECT for me, japan is 8 hours ahead so I can use the site between 6pm-11am :lol

Top Bottom