• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How White House Thwarted FCC Chief on Internet Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
BTW,

This is proof Obama wasn't bullshitting with the whole "Change" and "Hope". He really did want to get shit done.

Had he still had a Dem Congress, no doubt in my mind he would've been in the top 3 presidents of the past 100 or so years, only beaten by FDR

I do wonder what degree his feelings of getting things done via bipartisanship had to do with his tepid first term...

Did he really hold out hope that the other side actually wanted to work with him?

giga

I do wonder what degree his feelings of getting things done via bipartisanship had to do with his tepid first term...

Did he really hold out hope that the other side actually wanted to work with him?
I think he's come to accept that half the country, including legislators, will never like him for reasons beyond his political views.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It sure as hell looks like it.

Instro

I thought the story yesterday was that Wheeler turned heel on his telecom bros and came up with this plan?

Kind of confused about that myself. Presumably he went rogue once the president actually decided to really pursue the issue. Who knows, maybe he was promised a nice job at a tech company.

Further confirms my notions of Larry Summers being the biggest piece of shit in Obama's administration. It's like every behind the scenes story has that guy trying to reign in Obama and shilling for wall street and corporations.

Makes me so furious to think that we *might* have had net neutrality locked down in 2009.

Kind of confused about that myself. Presumably he went rogue once the president actually decided to really pursue the issue. Who knows, maybe he was promised a nice job at a tech company.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

But, who would want to be known as the guy who killed the internet?

- Obama wanted to make strong net neutrality rules after his 2008 election, but several of his older officials, like Larry Summers, convinced him not to at the time.

I bet this happened with quite a few things, smh

KingK

I bet this happened with quite a few things, smh
I recall a story a few years back claiming that Christina Romer, one of Obama's economic advisors, wanted a higher stimulus in 09, closer to $1.2bn, but Summers wouldn't even let the option be presented to the president.

d6u7qds.gif

linkboy

Watch as the next President undoes everything that Obama tries to accomplish in his remaining term.

If that happens, I'm moving out of the country for good. I'll have reached my breaking point (lord knows I'm pretty close to being there right now).

I'm stationed in Korea and I've met a lot of ESL teachers and expats who all tell me the same thing, that the country is a mess and they're much happier over here.

jwhit28

I can't wait until Obama is out of the presidency and free to speak his mind about the whole thing. He deserves to rest peacefully but I hope he doesn't completely disappear from the public eye. If 2014 is any indication Democrats have no plans to use him for campaigning.

I can't wait until Obama is out of the presidency and free to speak his mind about the whole thing. He deserves to rest peacefully but I hope he doesn't completely disappear from the public eye. If 2014 is any indication Democrats have no plans to use him for campaigning.

and democrats are idiots for it.

giga

His memoir will be one to devour.

If this story takes off, I'm curious to see what it'll do to both John Oliver's public image, and Google's.

Google should feel a little bit of the pinch Wheeler felt if they really did get caught trying to get in the way of net neutrality.

Cipherr

I thought the story yesterday was that Wheeler turned heel on his telecom bros and came up with this plan?

That part of it never made sense. Thats a portion of why a lot of us were so skeptical. It didn't make sense that he would suddenly turn heel with such vigor. Turns out Obama forced his hand, THAT makes much more sense.

Watch as the next President undoes everything that Obama tries to accomplish in his remaining term.

The repubs aren't getting the presidency for a long time. No need to worry about that.

dabig2

Further confirms my notions of Larry Summers being the biggest piece of shit in Obama's administration. It's like every behind the scenes story has that guy trying to reign in Obama and shilling for wall street and corporations.

Hated this guy ever since he helped to short-change the 2009 stimulus. That thing should have been at least half a billion more and would have done waaaaaay more good.

Tagyhag

If that happens, I'm moving out of the country for good. I'll have reached my breaking point (lord knows I'm pretty close to being there right now).

I'm stationed in Korea and I've met a lot of ESL teachers and expats who all tell me the same thing, that the country is a mess and they're much happier over here.

Lol if you think US politics are bad....Don't look too deeply into Korea's.

Still is a beautiful country though.

Fiktion

Banned
Obama's post-presidential slogan: 'Eight years is only the beginning'

Though President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle still have two years left in the White House, their foundation has come up with a bold slogan for their next chapter: “Eight years is only the beginning.”

When they leave on Jan. 20, 2017, Obama will be only 55 and his wife, who turned 51 on Jan. 17, will have just celebrated her 53rd birthday.

Not that I ever doubted it, but the Chicago-based Barack Obama Foundation‘s revamped website, which went live Friday, makes it clear the Obamas intend to maintain a robust public presence in the decades to come.
While Obama is focusing on the present, the foundation, led by Obama’s pal Marty Nesbitt, is creating the framework for the Obamas’ future. The foundation was created in January 2014.

“Our first priority is laying the groundwork for the Barack Obama Library and Museum,” the foundation said. “This year, we’ll choose a partner institution and construction site and start to gather the stories and artifacts that recall a historic presidency.

“Next, we’ll sketch out the programs and initiatives that will begin when the president and first lady come on board in 2017.”

A foundation representative, who declined to be named, said the site was updated “to provide the necessary digital infrastructure for the foundation as we prepare to grow in the months and years ahead.”

The Llama

The repubs aren't getting the presidency for a long time. No need to worry about that.

Honestly, who knows. After the last 2 elections, demographics are definitely in the Democrats favor, but who knows. I'm confident Hillary would beat any Republican candidate, but even that isn't guaranteed.

He'll be one of the youngest ex-presidents in recent memory. Dude will be able to make quite an impact in post presidency life, especially given the reports that he wants to do something aimed at young people/education/inner cities.

This actually really does make me wonder about his other broken promises and how they (did not) come to fruition. Fascinating.

AxelFoley

Valtýr;150669839 said:
He was the same president six years ago. He just waited until the time was right. None of this would have happened six years ago.

This.

My President is a fuckin' BAWSE.

I think Republican's still don't understand that when Obama leaves, it still isn't over for them. For the next thirty years, ya' know who's speaking in a prime spot in the DNC? Obama. You know who is going to be showing up during Senate races in purple states? Obama. Ya' know who every Democratic candidate is going to compare himself too? Obama.

For the GOP, it's what if JFK had never been shot or FDR had never died - an enemy that doesn't go away.

I'm not even going into the 2016 election, when we're going to have Obama & Bill on the stump, saying the things Hillary can't say.

This actually really does make me wonder about his other broken promises and how they (did not) come to fruition. Fascinating.

Short Version? Only have 60 Senator's for six weeks, the most obstructionist opposition in the history of the republic, and several Democratic Senator's who were legitimately far more conservative than Obama. Oh, and Joe Lieberman being an asshole. Never forget Joe Lieberman is a massive asshole.

clav

Knew something was behind the scenes.

That's why many of us were skeptical of Wheeler in the first place.

Now you understand.

Nicely done President. If all of this is successfully written in law after the impending court battles about this order, Obama definitely earned his legacy despite what could have been the best healthcare system for the US. I can only hope people push for single-payer system.

ISOM

I think Republican's still don't understand that when Obama leaves, it still isn't over for them. For the next thirty years, ya' know who's speaking in a prime spot in the DNC? Obama. You know who is going to be showing up during Senate races in purple states? Obama. Ya' know who every Democratic candidate is going to compare himself too? Obama.

For the GOP, it's what if JFK had never been shot or FDR had never died - an enemy that doesn't go away.

I'm not even going into the 2016 election, when we're going to have Obama & Bill on the stump, saying the things Hillary can't say.

Short Version? Only have 60 Senator's for six weeks, the most obstructionist opposition in the history of the republic, and several Democratic Senator's who were legitimately far more conservative than Obama. Oh, and Joe Lieberman being an asshole. Never forget Joe Lieberman is a massive asshole.

Someone said it right that Obama will become the Democrat's Reagan.

SimleuqiR

If this story takes off, I'm curious to see what it'll do to both John Oliver's public image, and Google's.

Google should feel a little bit of the pinch Wheeler felt if they really did get caught trying to get in the way of net neutrality.

I believe Google may have wanted stronger net neutrality laws implemented without Title II. Where as Verizon actually wanted to dilute net neutrality even more.

Fortunate for all of us Verizon took the FCC to court when they tried to strengthen net neutrality. They won. Probably causing Obama to make the decision to reel all these companies in under Title II.

All depends on if the economy continues to improve though; if we have another economic meltdown he could end up a democrat Bush. But if the economy continues to grow like it currently is? Dude will be the democrat Reagan. We'll never hear the end of him, his successes and failures will be magnified and/or distorted, democrats will attempt to claim his mantle, etc.
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2015/01/15/the-liberal-reagan-ctd-2/

The other danger is a foreign policy crisis though. Lots of things could happen to tarnish him but we'll see. If things go smoothly I agree, he won't go anywhere. And as the country gets browner and browner the historical nature of his presidency will become even more noteworthy. Health/safety willing, one day he's going to be an old man giving perhaps his last speech at a DNC, and we'll be watching and telling our kids who he was/is. I don't mean to deify the man because lord knows I have many problems with his policies (even though I voted for him twice), I'm just talking from a historical perspective.

GET REKT WHEELER

This probably happened in a roundabout way because of Verizon's legal stuff. So we should thank Verizon for this.

ALL HAIL VERIZON YOUR NEW IDIOT OVERLORDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom