• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How White House Thwarted FCC Chief on Internet Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
I can't wait until Obama is out of the presidency and free to speak his mind about the whole thing. He deserves to rest peacefully but I hope he doesn't completely disappear from the public eye. If 2014 is any indication Democrats have no plans to use him for campaigning.

http://www.barackobamafoundation.org/

Eight years is only the beginning.
Barack Obama's commitment to public service preceded his presidency, and will continue long after he and the First Lady leave the White House. The Foundation will carry forward the Obamas’ efforts to inspire active citizenship, expand economic opportunity, and promote peace and justice throughout the world.

linkboy

Lol if you think US politics are bad....Don't look too deeply into Korea's.

Still is a beautiful country though.

Oh, I know Korea isn't perfect, and I doubt I would move here.

But the more I think about it, the less I see myself being able to live in the us anymore. I

tbm24

Oh, I know Korea isn't perfect, and I doubt I would move here.

But the more I think about it, the less I see myself being able to live in the us anymore. I
Not that I blame you feeling this way, I do wonder what kind of image you have of the U.S. right now.

That shit would start a second civil war

Hopefully the north would finish the job this time.
rVtN8WL.png

The Llama

Larry Summers is a big Clinton guy. He helped develop the modern corporate-friendly democratic party.

Reading up on him real quick on Wikipedia, I'm surprised he became so influential with Obama (even if it was only for a relatively short time, about 2 years). That said, there's nothing inherently wrong (IMO) with being friendly to corporate America. I'd say that Summers was a bit more than that (and the less said about modern Republicans views of corporate America, the better).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
that shocked the hell out of me.

Google is gonna be a major service provider and they are greedy fuckwits. Makes sense. They will have faster speeds but dont expect better policy when there is money to be made.

jblank83

The big losers in the White House process were cable and phone companies, which spent years lobbying to gain support for their view that toughened rules would make it harder for them to offer new kinds of services. Executives who tried to go over the two aides’ heads, including by appealing directly to Valerie Jarrett, Mr. Obama’s senior adviser, got nowhere.

Good.

linkboy

Not that I blame you feeling this way, I do wonder what kind of image you have of the U.S. right now.

It's embarrassing to be a citizen, to be honest.

I hate how everything has to be a political issue and no one thinks for themselves, how everyone is glued to the news, mostly faux, and then spits what they heard out verbatim.

It's not like I haven't been in the USA lately, was in Montana for the last 7 years, yet even then I was getting fed up with it. I love the country, I wouldn't be in the military if I didn't, I just hate the state that's its in.

But this is totally off topic.

gcubed

It's an incredibly neutered title 2 reclassification, so Wheeler definitely didn't go all the way. He got boxed in and basically gave a RINO... Reclassification in name only. Killing state bans on municipal fiber is cool by me though.

It's embarrassing to be a citizen, to be honest.

I hate how everything has to be a political issue and no one thinks for themselves, how everyone is glued to the news, mostly faux, and then spits what they heard out verbatim.

It's not like I haven't been in the USA lately, was in Montana for the last 7 years, yet even then I was getting fed up with it. I love the country, I wouldn't be in the military if I didn't, I just hate the state that's its in.

But this is totally off topic.
Are you a minority as well?

linkboy

Are you a minority as well?

No, 32yr old white guy from California.

Maybe I'm just burned out from how much vitriol there is and how everything is a political issue, I don't know.

All I know is that since I got outside of the USA, and away from the disastrous state its currently in, I feel relieved.

Wreav

Banned
Like I said in the other thread, Wheeler is a puppet and nothing more. All props go to King Obama for this.

Not to mention the other shit he has accomplished, Obama has been wrecking face. Best president to ever grace this country, this guy is mindfucking the opposition that has been obstructing everything he does.

Handled like tools in boxes

It's fucking depressing to imagine what Obama could have accomplished if the Republicans actually wanted to participate in the governing process and not just block what every Obama wanted. Imagine how much more effective Obama care would have been in it's original state? Or if The Jobs bill and Infrastructure spending would have been approved.

The Republicans have tried COMPLETELY stymie this this countries progress at every turn over the last 12 years.

Aselith

that shocked the hell out of me.

Google is top of the heap. They wouldn't have to worry about prioritization as much since they ARE for all intents and purposes, the internet. It's the little guys that get fucked by prioritization.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's fucking depressing to imagine what Obama could have accomplished if the Republicans actually wanted to participate in the governing process and not just block what every Obama wanted. Imagine how much more effective Obama care would have been in it's original state? Or if The Jobs bill and Infrastructure spending would have been approved.

The Republicans have tried COMPLETELY stymie this this countries progress at every turn over the last 12 years.

That's why they've been blocking him, they don't want another FDR. If Obama got to do everything he wanted to do, in 50 years we'd be talking about him in the same way we do FDR. We loved FDR so much we gave him two presidential memorials! If that happened with Obama the GOP wouldn't see the inside of the White House again for decades.

Pastry

Banned
That's why they've been blocking him, they don't want another FDR. If Obama got to do everything he wanted to do, in 50 years we'd be talking about him in the same way we do FDR. We loved FDR so much we gave him two presidential memorials! If that happened with Obama the GOP wouldn't see the inside of the White House again for decades.

The funny thing is the GOP probably won't see the inside of the WH again for decades as it is.

The funny thing is the GOP probably won't see the inside of the WH again for decades as it is.

It's the mother of all ironies and catch-22s

The Base hates Obama so much (and by proxies the politicians) that they hated ANYTHING he did and anything to do with minorities (who were going to be major voters in the coming years), and alienated him.

Now the GOP has been hammering it home that they don't like the President or "others" and have turned the map completely against them.

It's funny. Had Hillary won in 2008 and 2012, I legitimately think the GOP wouldn't be *as* crazy, and they'd have a decent shot at 2016.

Obama's election brought out their true colors and they won't take the White House again.

In less than 20 years, the Dems will have the first black AND female president along with gay rights among other social changes that they'll get credit for and rightfully so.

They were played from Day 1 and the sad part is they're still in denial.

That makes it even sadder and more pathetic. These fuckers are suppose to serve the people of the United States. They are suppose to look after our interests. Not have a school yard fight.

I wish the GOP won't see the white house for decades. They deserve exile, a lot of them do.

That makes it even sadder and more pathetic. These fuckers are suppose to serve the people of the United States. They are suppose to look after our interests. Not have a school yard fight.

I wish the GOP won't see the white house for decades. They deserve exile, a lot of them do.

They're serving the side opposite of yours though >.>

The American people are usually just as divided as the politicians they send to Washington

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's the mother of all ironies and catch-22s

The Base hates Obama so much (and by proxies the politicians) that they hated ANYTHING he did and anything to do with minorities (who were going to be major voters in the coming years), and alienated him.

Now the GOP has been hammering it home that they don't like the President or "others" and have turned the map completely against them.

It's funny. Had Hillary won in 2008 and 2012, I legitimately think the GOP wouldn't be *as* crazy, and they'd have a decent shot at 2016.

Obama's election brought out their true colors and they won't take the White House again.

In less than 20 years, the Dems will have the first black AND female president along with gay rights among other social changes that they'll get credit for and rightfully so. We'd be making him a memorial before the 50 year moratorium ended, again like we did for FDR.

They were played from Day 1 and the sad part is they're still in denial.

They weren't played, they just played themselves. Obama didn't even have to do shit other than try to reach across the isle to make them look dumb as balls. That said, I really wish we could have seen this Obama from the start. Can you even imagine they shit that would have gotten done? We'd be making room on Rushmore or something at this point. We be making him a memorial before the 50 year moratorium ended, again like we did for FDR.

pa22word

Did someone in here really call Obama the Dem's Regan? lol

If anything, he's going to be essentially the modern day equiv of Teddy Roosevelt if the midterms this year are anything to go by...DNC just doesn't seem to want anything to do with him, for whatever reason.

Also, did someone seriously say they think he'd actually get put on the bench? Come on now, even if Hilary did nominate him there'd be no way in hell they'd actually confirm him, and the damage it'd do to him and her would be devastating if she did actually try and fail to get him in. See GWB with Harriet Miers multiplied to 1000x.

Did someone in here really call Obama the Dem's Regan? lol

If anything, he's going to be essentially the modern day equiv of Teddy Roosevelt if the midterms this year are anything to go by...DNC just doesn't seem to want anything to do with him, for whatever reason.

Also, did someone seriously say they think he'd actually get put on the bench? Come on now, even if Hilary did nominate him there'd be no way in hell they'd actually confirm him, and the damage it'd do to him and her would be devastating if she did actually try and fail to get him in. See GWB with Harriet Miers multiplied to 1000x.

The Reagan point is moreso about the direction the party is heading in: more liberal, more diverse, etc. He solidified multiple demographics as reliable democrat voters...in general elections at least. The funny thing is that Obama called this in 2007: Reagan changed the country in a way Clinton didn't...and I think it's going to be clear that Obama changed the country in a way Clinton didn't either. And likewise we're seeing the Clinton influence wane on the democrat party as Elizabeth Warren types begin to have more influence/credibility amongst people. Obama is a corporatist like every US president yet is clearly not a Clinton-ite in that regard. Hence why I wonder how much of Obama's legacy will Hillary continue.

Interestingly Obama's popularity essentially matches Reagan's at this point in his presidency.

Madness

Watch as the next President undoes everything that Obama tries to accomplish in his remaining term.

I shudder to think what Jeb Bush/Hillary Clinton will do as president. Both are similar, both are career politicians with strong ties to corporations, both have been lobbied probably extensively in their lives. Obama was a junior senator out of Illinois who wanted change. He's at least finishing his Presidential legacy on a strong note.

Obama in the next 2 years will be cementing his legacy and he has nothing to lose. It's good for Americans because he wants a positive change leftover when he goes, and bad for Repubs because they can't use his term to go "Hey, a Dem president does nothing good in 8 years - vote Republican (Despite how we blocked every attempt at progress but we're so damned good at keeping our constituents in the dark about this that we can say this without problem. And Dems really suck at trying to accuse of anything lol)"

wildfire

Banned
So Wheeler being Obama's puppet was positive instead of negative as one person on this forum tried to imply.

Thanks Obama.

wildfire

Banned

We have short memories when it comes to politics. The Republican gains in Congress after the fiscal cliff nonsense proves this.

If it does take them decades to get back into White House it is for structural reasons that keep reminding various voters that they either hate them (minorities) or won't listen to them (the young/white women).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom