• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will playstation surpass ps4 next gen?

first off, there is no way microsoft is being nearly as bonehead next gen. they have a few more studios now (1 more than sony actually.) and they have changed a bit. they will certainly sell more xboxes next gen

Google is also incoming and we have the switch that will still do well into the launch of ps5. corporations always want growth and what not. how will sony manage to sell more consoles next gen?.

I was thinking they should try to cement their self in China and they are doing that. but also support the Japanese development especially exclusive JRPGs 'n what not.

what do you think? level 5 is struggling right now would acquiring them be a good move ? I think it might be for japan. they are one of the top 5 devs in japan.

while unconfirmed. pretty much its universally agreed upon that next gen consoles are launching in 2020. console launches are usually a big deal for the company as well. as we saw with PS4 Sony acquired a cloud streaming service to build PS Now. what is their next big move?

Last edited:
Sony do what Sony do. DOMINATE!
But really, just put out good graphics at good price and 1st party titles will carry to the win.

is that it? i mean thats fine and all but what is the big selling point? games are obviously thats a given but they won't be the only one with games

ps1 selling point, cd player. ps2, dvd player, ps3 was the blu ray player. ps4 was the fact that microsoft went ape shit. and ps5? whats that gonna be?.

Dthomp

To be fair the only hiccup since Sony got into gaming was caused by being too expensive at the beginning of last gen. They have the name recognition along with stellar first party support, as well as great JRPG options. They have arguably the best variety across the board, it's what brings people back gen after gen. Don't be too expensive, keep doing what you do and they will be just fine.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
why are we even talking about these lamers when the Atari VCS is obviously going to dominate the 9th gen

But um, how about planting those games on larger capacity bluray discs? Maybe unlikely, as we enclose on that all-digital future, but please.
Maybe they'll release more post-apocalyptic games. There's no better way to win (me) than with post-apocalyptic games. They've got like three of those this gen, so they're going in a pretty good direction.

why are we even talking about these lamers when the Atari VCS is obviously going to dominate the 9th gen

But um, how about planting those games on larger capacity bluray discs? Maybe unlikely, as we enclose on that all-digital future, but please.
Maybe they'll release more post-apocalyptic games. There's no better way to win (me) than with post-apocalyptic games. They've got like three of those this gen, so they're going in a pretty good direction.

I think they should get remedy and cement themselves as the kings of third person action adventure games.

i think they might very well get remedy if control does well. who knows.

By releasing Knack 3.

On a serious note, if they somehow manage to make all PS1, PS2, PS3, AND PS4 games backwards compatible.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I think they should get remedy and cement themselves as the kings of third person action adventure games.

i think they might very well get remedy if control does well. who knows.
you
you cease
don't say such things
stop no
I wanna play my Remedy games with keyboard and mouse shut up :(

leo-j

Most powerful hardware
Last of us 2 4K native at 60fps launch title
Horizon 2 launch or launch window title

Backwards compatibility with all ps4 games and the ability to upscale them to 2160p with 60fps.

Death stranding launch window title

Etc.....

They got too many 10 million selling ip coming out with this thing, god of war, horizon, Spider-Man, uncharted, last of us, etc..... LOL they just have to keep going. Also making ps now available everywhere WITH DualShock support would dominate in a 5G world, especially with native 1080p streaming.

DanielsM

Banned
Console wars are basically over, more of the same....good decent traditional console hardware which is price effective, great games, bc for ps4 games is a plus, and providing services when needed, not forced upon. Bloodborne 2 wouldn't hurt, just sayin. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The only ingredient in the recipe to dominate is a steady release for games, and as long as they do that they're basically home free

first off, there is no way microsoft is being nearly as bonehead next gen.

MS now wants to be a service it means xbox lost its unique value, if people want a MS game they can buy a PC, if they want PS5 exclusive they will buy a PS5, Ms is only helping PC, on PC Steam is king

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I expect that Sony will see a drop in userbase next gen similar to the PS2>PS3 drop.

I’m sure this will get quoted and tagged for the next 10 years if I’m wrong, but they better be quietly making moves behind the scenes, because if all next gen offers is prettier graphics the jump for people will be quite small. The mid gen refreshes ruined the generational leap for anyone that owns them.

I think there is a paradigm shift coming and next gen will be the start of it.

I mean if you look at it if next gen launches in 2020 we are looking at it running into 2025-2028 territory.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Just keep releasing good exclusive games. It would give them a good start if it has full PS4 backwards compatibility.

I wanted an Xbox but there's no reason for me since I have a PC. Also they if are gonna let people play their games on mobile, switch, tablets then Microsoft are gonna lose a lot of console sales by doing this. I can't ever see Xbox "win" a generation again.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Just keep releasing good exclusive games. It would give them a good start if it has full PS4 backwards compatibility.

I wanted an Xbox but there's no reason for me since I have a PC. Also they if are gonna let people play their games on mobile, switch, tablets then Microsoft are gonna lose a lot of console sales by doing this. I can't ever see Xbox "win" a generation again.

See that is their strategy it seems. They make the most money on software, not hardware,

Phil even said that the most profitable customers are the ones that buy an Xbox and then go buy games. If they keep upgrading Systems they don’t get any extra money. The margins on hardware are so slim, that they are used as a Trojan to sell the software,

So if they don’t have to sell you silicone, yet you buy their code, you are putting them ahead, all the while humming to yourself how you found Phil’s loophole.

I expect that Sony will see a drop in userbase next gen similar to the PS2>PS3 drop.

I’m sure this will get quoted and tagged for the next 10 years if I’m wrong, but they better be quietly making moves behind the scenes, because if all next gen offers is prettier graphics the jump for people will be quite small. The mid gen refreshes ruined the generational leap for anyone that owns them.

I think there is a paradigm shift coming and next gen will be the start of it.

I mean if you look at it if next gen launches in 2020 we are looking at it running into 2025-2028 territory.

i believe that too. i dont think the current sony leadership will risk taking a massive lead they will probably rather keep it safe and let microsoft gain some lead back

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do what they have been doing, except remove the needless censorship and double down on VR. They are actively antagonizing their japanese developers by forcing them to compromise on their visions for their games (just read the interview with Senran Kagura 7's developer) which will drive them to competitors. They need to fix this soon before they cause irreparable damage in the next generation.

Psajdak

Banned
To be completely honest, I'm actually thinking of finally completely letting go of buying any next gen consoles, since it is obvious developers will continue to push their "pretty, sparkly graphics, and big resolution at 30fps".

I mean, I can forgive games that were made up to 2010, but if it is 2019, and when I play, I have to deal with something what almost look like a faster slideshow, something is wrong here.

For a while now I have borrowed my PS4 Pro to my brother in law; he has a normal PS4, so I gave it to him because it has stronger hardware, and I myself beside playing MGSV on it, which was 60fps, never really played anything else on it.

When I was watching his gameplay of RDR2 recently, I couldn't have believed how that game looks bad to me because of low frame rate, that is, it has nice picture, and design, but it almost made me vomit because of how dizzy 30fps feels, even when someone else is playing.

The game which I played the most in last few months was MGSPW HD for PS3, and even though it is just an upscale from PSP, its 60fps look so fresh, that when someone asked me if I would take it for 60 euro, instead of some new PS4 30fps game for 15 euro, I would have given those 60 euro.

I know, I know, I know developers will once again force that nice looking crap, and cinematic feeling, instead of first giving game decent framerate, and then making it as nice as possible, if they want, because, you know, games are for playing.

As far as my PS4 is concerned, I will only ever buy games which are 60fps for it, or just go, and play PC version, and if it is an exclusive with low framerate, well, no matter how great scores it has, I will be able to live without it.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

Bloodborne 2
Horizon zero dawn 2
New naughty dog game
New kojima game or ds ps5 launch title
God of war 5

Microsoft has almost nothing that u already know wil be a must have next gen..

bitbydeath

With MS pretty much guaranteed to sell less due to their move to PC Sony could probably just coast and pickup those who leave.

Google though, that could make things more interesting depending on what they announce.

vkbest

The can’t, Japanese market is lost because portable system and current censorship.

In west they will have more competition

Airbus Jr

Banned
By making GTA VI PS5 exclusive

Vice City and San Andreas was such a behemoth title for PS2

GTAV over 100 mill copy sold a guaranteed blockbuster title

Making it an exclusive will give a huge boost basically making it unstopable

Last edited:

Zaffo

By acting arrogant as a market leader, and losing to the competition due to some dumb decisions.
history always repeat itself.

Ar¢tos

Keep focusing on quality games and 3rd party marketing deals, with a 3rd party funded exclusive here and there. Focus on VR because next gen can deliver proper VR and there is no real competition in the console space. Keep distribution channels full in EU, and they will basically win in EU just for keeping consoles on the shelfs.

ROMhack

More cinematic experiences.
Less quirky interesting games.
Increase the price of PSN and ensure the monthly games are low quality.

Should work out well for them.

Rodolink

They'd need:
-more powerful hardware than Xbox
-backwards compatibility
-FFVII will definitely come as a launch title for it
-timed exclusive Death Stranding
-A new Grand Turismo
Other game sequels like Bloodborne are agiven to help raise sells course

Sparda

Banned
They'd need:
-more powerful hardware than Xbox
-backwards compatibility
-FFVII will definitely come as a launch title for it
-timed exclusive Death Stranding
-A new Grand Turismo
Other game sequels like Bloodborne are agiven to help raise sells course
Doesn't need more powerfull hardware.
- ffVII will never come out
- Death stranding is a full exclusive
- bloodborne 2 or spiritual successor must happen...

Ar¢tos

It won't. MS will put up a better fight this time around.
Europe and Asia say "Hi!".
MS needs a really REALLY good product and marketing strategy and they need Sony to do an epic fuck up to have chance there, something even bigger than the ps3 launch, because that one was obviously not big enough when you compare end of last gen numbers.

Sparda

Banned
See that is their strategy it seems. They make the most money on software, not hardware,

Phil even said that the most profitable customers are the ones that buy an Xbox and then go buy games. If they keep upgrading Systems they don’t get any extra money. The margins on hardware are so slim, that they are used as a Trojan to sell the software,

So if they don’t have to sell you silicone, yet you buy their code, you are putting them ahead, all the while humming to yourself how you found Phil’s loophole.
No xbox = no gold renvenue.
And i don't think that selling gamepass at 1$ is a great renvenue. So they must increase their userbase very much to make more money.

Raph64

By stopping their puritanical approach regarding their censorship policy who’s literally destroying the authenticity of Japanese games.

I mean, you can have a M-rated game and still not censor it for the dumbest reason you could possibly come up with.

Also, make the PS5 totally backward compatible from PS1 to PS4 games.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Easy.

The secret project FROM is working on is a launch exclusive Bloodborne 2. One physical copy with each ps5, free of charge.

XBOX and NS will just accept defeat and cancel their consoles. Liquidate the company and hand it back to the shareholders in a final dividend payout before shutting down.

(Guys, I love you xboxers and switcharoos, it is just a friendly joke. Still BB2 yeah BB2 would rule, please make a BB2 in my lifetime, that is all I ask)

ANIMAL1975

is that it? i mean thats fine and all but what is the big selling point? games are obviously thats a given but they won't be the only one with games

ps1 selling point, cd player. ps2, dvd player, ps3 was the blu ray player. ps4 was the fact that microsoft went ape shit. and ps5? whats that gonna be?.
Nah, playstation4 selling points were more power and 100€/$ cheaper. Then came along remote play, streaming to Twitch/YouTube, share play and finally, the CD/DVD player of this generation (and this is a big euphemism) _ Playstation VR.

PocoJoe

Banned
Like this:

Being the global brand and synonym for gaming.

MS can do anything, Nintendo can do anything, playstation is and probably will be THE home console for majority of games.

I would never change to xbox, I had og+360 for some time and that controller is just so bad, and good controller either makes or breaks it.

mejin

MS is still way behind Sony and google is just the beginning. Sucess for playstation is locked as long as they don't fuck it up.

The problem is not ps5, but what comes next after it.

Top Bottom