• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will ray tracing change my gaming experience?

Bergoglio

Ray tracing is a rendering technique for generating an image by tracing the path of light as pixels in an image plane and simulating the effects of its encounters with virtual objects. For one thing, games with RT turned on should have far better lighting effects. That, of course, should translate to better-looking games and a feeling that you’re playing inside a world that looks far more realistic.

But. How will ray tracing change my gaming experience? Some gameplay scenarios that could take place with the use of ray traced reflections?

onQ123

Ray tracing is a rendering technique for generating an image by tracing the path of light as pixels in an image plane and simulating the effects of its encounters with virtual objects. For one thing, games with RT turned on should have far better lighting effects. That, of course, should translate to better-looking games and a feeling that you’re playing inside a world that looks far more realistic.

But. How will ray tracing change my gaming experience? Some gameplay scenarios that could take place with the use of ray traced reflections?

It can be used to help with path-finding for better AI

JordanN

Banned
Back around 2014/2015, I wanted to make a horror theme game set in an abandoned school. With ray tracing/secondary GI, your character would control a flashlight and it would realistically light up a room like it does in real life.

Since UE4 at this time didn't support this feature, I put this idea on hold.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not many things will change your "Gaming Experience" which is very hard to do, I saw VR change gamers "Gaming Experiences" but than it comes down to its just gaming.

Knch

It will be more cinematic!

MarkyG

At the moment, It won't. It doesn't for me (running an RTX 2070 Super). Even with the likes of Control and Wolfenstein Youngblood having excellent RTX features, you soon get used to them/dial down the more expensive features due to the performance hit. It's in no way, shape or form a game changer. It's something that's neat for a few minutes then you just get used to it or plain just don't notice the feature (looking at you, CoD MW's shadows).

More accurate shadows cast in multiplayer games could be huge honestly.

Also it could really make horror games more interesting since light from a flashlight could become much more dynamic and realistic.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It won't.

It's just another featured option of the moment that majority of people disable to get more frames or better texture\resolution.

If god exist, console devs are gonna forget this thing like i forget to clean my roomba robot.

ZywyPL

Banned
Ask Cerny/Spencer, not random people on the internet, because how could we know? But if anything, graphics were never pushing anything forward, if you look closely at every single device within every single generation, all the devs are talking about is the CPU and RAM, the GPU is the artists concern to get the game running at targeted resolution and framerate

Juxo

It will make the game you're playing on your console of choice struggle to maintain its frame rate during moderately taxing gameplay.

So, not at all.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You're asking as if you have a choice. You most likely won't soon enough. Ray Tracing technically should make it easier for devs to achieve natural lighting and reflections without having to manually fake the lighting effects in each part of the map which takes a very huge time to do. Anyone saying otherwise has no idea what they're talking about. Please refer to the video below, it's not just a Metro Exodus discussion, they specifically talk about what I'm telling you about:

Last edited:

Pidull

I'm thinking in terms of multiplayer, in conjunction with path-traced audio, you're looking at games in which you can hear enemies around corners and see their movement affect the lighting of the room without seeing a directly cast shadow. You could also use mirrored objects to peak around corners for enemies as well.

For the most part, ray-tracing is only going to make things prettier. I'm also okay with that.

Two words: depth perception. For real. I feel like people are completely underestimating how much ray tracing will bring to the table. You have to be intentionally blind to not see it. There is already so many examples of how it improves game graphics. That's also not taking into account the likelihood that the tech will improve over the course of the next gen. It isnt just a buzz word like the power of the cloud. How can anyone not be excited about ray tracing? Like no thank you I don't want better graphics... Who says that?

What exactly are hard drivers?
Those of us who played this shite.

hard-drivin_4.gif

A.Romero

It looks pretty and the game is more immersive (at least for me) but other than that not much.

Unless you are actually looking for it, most players won't notice how an explosion reflects on a beach shore in BFV.

geordiemp

Best thing I did to improve image quality was play on an LG OLED, with HDR night and day
Not excited for ray tracing at all, would rather have more enemies or higher frame rates, or both.
Ray tracing seems too expensive

It'll likely just make games easier to release faster, since less effects are needed to be faked.

Otherwise no, it'll just be the same old.
Nah, they will just use the time to make more complex games.

I don't think it will affect the gameplay experience much, not beyond making 30fps games a thing for a few more years - I hope I am wrong and that at least one console will have decent RT secret sauce.

psorcerer

Banned
Back around 2014/2015, I wanted to make a horror theme game set in an abandoned school. With ray tracing/secondary GI, your character would control a flashlight and it would realistically light up a room like it does in real life.

Since UE4 at this time didn't support this feature, I put this idea on hold.

Was done with reflective shadows in Uncharted and Last of Us. When you have only one light source it's pretty trivial.

Birdo

Banned
I guess it can help with immersion in games that rely on atmosphere.

I'd love to see it patched into some old games, like SOTC, or No Man's Sky.

Grinchy

Banned
Every new revolution for gaming has a cost at first. This is going to be so standard moving forward. The day will come when people will wonder why they were ever so afraid of it in the first place.

Our first 3D games had horrific framerates. It didn't mean 3D gaming was a pointless waste of resources. Imagine the people who said that back then. If you think ray tracing is a boogeyman that is going to ruin games, just know that you will be proven wrong, and come taste the future with the rest of us instead.

Last edited:
Rays will be cast by an awesome and unimaginable virtual world through your television screen directly into your retina, converted to electrical pulses that are feebly interpreted by your medulla oblongata. Your brain, experiencing this for the first time, will transcend the known world taking you to Nirvana where you will reach enlightenment to smoke crack with Kurt Cobain.

This is what they refer to when they speak of nextgen gameplay. You aren't ready.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It will change it about as much as those DF videos that tell you which version is the best thing ever and which is hot garbage even though you couldn't tell the difference with your naked eye without the video.
It looks great in 30 second trailers because it's only 30 seconds. When you get in the game everyone will forget it after playing for five minutes.

vpance

Your eyes won't be distracted by the bad jaggy shadows and reflections anymore, so you can focus on the game.

after release it will feel like it was always there until u have to go back to youtube and check old games on play4, play3 to see the difference.

Thats what I do... oh this ps4 game looks so bad, check ps3 games, damnnn that's awful haha.

Top Bottom