• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will Square Enix handle all the big releases in the coming years?

Oh, I forgot about the KH 2.8 collection. Think that'll be an October release. Likewise I think Dissidia will get its home console port in mid-2017.

Do we know if 2.8 is $60 or $40? I heard it was 60 last I checked.

I'm just curious to know how timely the FFVII chunks will be. Annual seems logical but it risks taking too long and burning us out. Ideally there'd be 3 parts with six months in between (i.e.: Holiday 2017 / June 2018 / Holiday 2018), but I dunno how possible that is.

Then again, they've already made surprising progress plus they're taking great measures to ease development (Unreal Engine, teaming up with CC2 and other devs), so it could be doable? Maybe? I mean they could theoretically have Part 1 done by mid-2017 but just wait until the holiday if they feel that's a better time to release it.

sörine

Banned
No way KH3 will be a late 2017 release when FFVII Remake Part I is coming out in 2017. KH3 could be a summer 2017 game, Dragon Quest XI could be a February/March 2017 game and FFVII Remake Part I could be a Fall 2017 game.
DQ always takes about a year for localization. I think summer 2016 in Japan is probably a sure thing unless they end up splitting launch dates for the 3DS and PS4 versions, in which case PS4 would get bumped later into 2H 2016 and also probably push out the western release further.

Fall 2017 for FFVII Disc 1 Remake seems appropriate given the 20th anniversary. I'm not sure where that leaves KH3 but I sort of doubt SE wants to load FFXV, FFVIIR1 and KH3 all within one 12 month span. I tend to think KH3 will come later for strategic reasons if nothing else. It's audience also skews much younger so it makes some sense to wait for the consoles to hit more family market friendly pricepoints ($199 or less).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you are way too optimistic about FFVII:R.
All episodes out by 2017? Come on. My guess is 2021.

I've been saying it for awhile, but I feel FFVII Remake and KH3 could end up being next generation titles. I want to believe they're coming out, I really do. I'm just not so sure.

Oh god. I hope this is right minus FFXV-2 and SR:FFXV.

But yeah, 1-2 big releases per year.

KH 2.8 in 2016 as well

I've been saying it for awhile, but I feel FFVII Remake and KH3 could end up being next generation titles. I want to believe they're coming out, I really do. I'm just not so sure.

KH3 will 100% come out this gen. I have no doubt. KH has been pretty good about releases.

sörine

Banned
Some of you are way too optimistic about FFVII:R.
All episodes out by 2017? Come on. My guess is 2021.
Oh, I only think Episode 1 by then. It's probably a trilogy with each next volume coming 12-18 months after the last. Then we can get a collected edition for the launch of next gen consoles/services.

pLow7

Some of you putting DQXI, FF15 and KH3 in the same year are aware of the huge marketing costs they will bring ?

I can't imagine Squenix being able to handle 2 big releases in one year let alone 3.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you putting DQXI, FF15 and KH3 in the same year are aware of the huge marketing costs they will bring ?

I can't imagine Squenix being able to handle 2 big releases in one year let alone 3.

It'll be money that they can make back anyway. And KH3 is probably 2017 while DQXI is 16 for Japan and 17 for the rest of the world.

They can always try to work with Sony for marketing pushs too.

sörine

Banned

I think it's less about heavy expenditure and more about lopsided revenue. You generally want to spread out your megasellers more so your next FY doesn't appear to suddenly collapse. That used to be Wada's policy for alternating FF & DQ actually.

Arkeband

Banned

DQXI won't be marketed for shit outside of Japan, and then they'll be like "ho-hum, looks like lukewarm sales for DQ again!"

There's a very small chance that KH3 will be released in 2016, and DQXI shooting for 2016 is overly optimistic. The announcement looked like they had about a month of farting around with UE4 and whatever their artists could push out before the deadline.

Some Nobody

Here is the trailers for both games at the Nintendo direct :l. I'm not lying man.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHVahbnnn8

Oh man. So much FF talk I thought you meant that series, not DQ lol. Yeah those were confirmed awhile back, my bad.

Which reminds me...there's supposedly another remake coming for DQ on Playstation. lol, Square is busy.

DQXI won't be marketed for shit outside of Japan, and then they'll be like "ho-hum, looks like lukewarm sales for DQ again!"

There's a very small chance that KH3 will be released in 2016, and DQXI shooting for 2016 is overly optimistic. The announcement looked like they had about a month of farting around with UE4 and whatever their artists could push out before the deadline.

They marketed DQ Heroes pretty well, and that was just another Warriors clone. I'm pretty sure the marketing for XI will be super strong, since it basically only exists on PS4 because of us.

And no, KH3 isn't coming out in 2016 at all, but XI most probably will. It's the 30th anniversary after all.

By not announcing a game til its bearly ready, but for whatever reason they feel compelled to abnounce things years before we'll ever see them. Is it a cultural thing im missing?

saher

Banned
Obviously FFXV first and then KH3

As for DQXI it can be released the same year as KH3 without a problem really since its going to be released in japan only first and KH3 is more popular outside japan.

Philippo

My 2cents:

Early
-DQBUILDERS (JAN - JP)
-SETSUNA (FEB - JP)
-DQHII (MAR - JP)
Spring
-SO5 (MAY - JP)
-SETSUNA (MAY - WW)
Summer
-World of FF (JUN - WW)
-KH2.8 (JUL - JP)
-SO5 (JUL - JP)
-DQBUILDERS (AUG - WW)
Fall
-FFXV (SEPT/OCT - WW)
-DQHII (NOV - WW)
-KH HD (DEC - WW)
-NIER (DEC - JP)

Early
-DQXI (FEB - JP)
-DISSIDIA PS4 (MAR - JP)
Spring
-KHIII (MAY - WW)
Summer
-NIER (JUN - WW)
-DQXI (AUG - WW)
Fall
-DISSIDIA (SEP - WW)
-FFVIIR EPI (NOV - WW)

And a bit of speculation for the future
-FFXVI
-FFVIIR EPII
-RPG FACTORY GAME

-FF TABATA
-FFVIIR EPIII
-VALKYRIE PROFILE / TRI-ACE COLLAB

-TEAM OSAKA GAME (or KHIV)
-FFVIIR EPIV?
-FFVIIR NEXT-GEN EDITION

sörine

Banned
Obviously FFXV first and then KH3

As for DQXI it can be released the same year as KH3 without a problem really since its going to be released in japan only first and KH3 is more popular outside japan.
DQXI in Japan will probably be the first launch of any of them.

Philippo

Most likely Tabata and his XV team will make XVI since nomura will be busy with KH3 and FFVII

i mean who else left? toriyama? is he even alive

Nah, i'm pretty sure a new mainline FF is in some kind of developement stages already, no way they wait till late '16 to start working on it.

Hiroyuki Ito, obviously. It's time for him to direct a new game.

No way he can direct a new FF and clean the toilets

but yeah i think XVI will either be his or YoshiP's

Jazz573

It's an honour to be avatar quoted for the first time.

I wasn't sure whether to count Hitman and Do Sex since they're western rather than JP, but you know what, sure, we already know the former's March and the latter's August, so even taking them into account we'd have a healthy distribution that way.

Setsuna's Feb in Japan... if it gets a western release it'll probably be a late holiday 3DS swan song? Seems like a wintery type of game.

Setsuna has already been confirmed for the west. Also it's a Vita/PS4 game not 3DS.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They will release them one at a time every year.

FFXV, Nier 2, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Dragon Quest Builders, KH II.8 HD, RPG Project and Star Ocean will be their JP titles for next year while Hitman and Deus Ex will be their western titles.

2017 will have FFVII Remake Part I, Dragon Quest XI and KH3 will be the big games for that year.

2018-2020 will have different FFVII Remake Parts release and another big game joining that.

SE are too packed....this is unbelievable. how the fuck did they get to this point from just a few short years ago where they were making literally 0 games besides lightning and mobile games!?

HeelPower

The isn't a 3 year plan.Its a 5 year plan at the very least.These announcements will likely last the entire generation and into the next.

There's no reason to restrict yourself to 2018.

Some Nobody

Nah, i'm pretty sure a new mainline FF is in some kind of developement stages already, no way they wait till late '16 to start working on it.

I always thought the theory was FF15 (the real one) was taking too long, so they switched tracks, made Versus XIII into XV and bumped the "real" 15 to XVI. Now, that could be wrong. If it's true, it's gotta hit around 2018 at the latest. I do know the resident
not really
sketchy insider Verendus keeps bringing XVI up a lot for a game that shouldn't exist past the earliest of pre-planning.

injurai

Banned
2016 - FFXV
2017 - DQXI and KH3
2018 - FF7R: Ep1 and FFXV-2
2019 - FF7R: Ep2 and Stella Returns

This isn't going to happen anymore if what we've heard is correct. They only considered exploring more, but they said XV will conclude the story and there would be no need for a second entry.

Some Nobody

This isn't going to happen anymore if what we've heard is correct. They only considered exploring more, but they said XV will conclude the story and there would be no need for a second entry.

It's absolutely not going to happen. XV is now standalone (thankfully) and VII is now episodic.

People expecting FFVII-R to be yearly once the first game is out are optimistic to say the least.

I am expecting at least 2 years between games and for it not to be finished well into the life cycle of the PS5.

injurai

Banned
It's absolutely not going to happen. XV is now standalone (thankfully) and VII is now episodic.

Yeah, It pretty much died when Nomura was moved off. Because he was the one saying that XV-2 might happen and that it could have it's own story building off of the conclusion of the first game's conflict.

But now that he's on Remake and KH3, Tabata will wrap up XV and move onto his own thing.

cireza

Honestly I am still very interested by FF XV because I know it is coming pretty soon. Other games will take a lot of time, so I don't really see the problem. They have plenty of time to schedule those games.

Arkeband

Banned

S-E: "The world of FFXV is so big that we found the story we told simply isn't all there is to the world of FFXV"

GAF: "Nah man this isn't FFXV-2, this is its own thing guys!"

FFXV:Noctis Boogaloo will reuse 70% of its assets and be written by an artist picked at random from the Dissidia credits.

It starts right after the last cutscene of FFXV, suddenly the ground opens up and Noctis is pulled into an alternate dimension where he meets Lightning and controls time; yes, you heard right, this will be an interquel that happens between FF13 and FF13-2. Please be excited.

Lime

They'll release them exclusively on the lowest selling console on the exact same date that the black hole of a mega-seller like Fallout 4 will.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah, It pretty much died when Nomura was moved off. Because he was the one saying that XV-2 might happen and that it could have it's own story building off of the conclusion of the first game's conflict.

But now that he's on Remake and KH3, Tabata will wrap up XV and move onto his own thing.

Nomura pretty much working on just the remake, Tai Yasue is the director now.

Wow what ? Did not know that. Apparently FF7RE is taking huge ressources, will probably be their biggest Project to date.

The fact that they're splitting the game up into multiple parts seems to already make that obvious, tbh. And working with multiple development teams to make it happen.

saher

Banned
It starts right after the last cutscene of FFXV, suddenly the ground opens up and Noctis is pulled into an alternate dimension where he meets Lightning and controls time; yes, you heard right, this will be an interquel that happens between FF13 and FF13-2. Please be excited.

You are a horrible person.

Pachimari

2016: Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3
2017: Dragon Quest XI and Final Fantasy VII: Remake - Part 1
2018: Final Fantasy VII: Remake - Part 2

I believe Square Enix is planning on releasing FF VII:R in 2017 on the original game's anniversary.

Top Bottom