• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel if Fromsoft announce their next game is PS5 console exclusive?

How would you feel about another Fromsoftware and Playstation collaboration

• I’d be pretty upset, after their games should be Multi Platform with the success of Elden Ring

• It makes sense, I also think they would benefit from Playstation resources, they’re tech is dated

• I’m indifferent, don’t like their games tbh

• Only if we get Bloodborne 2

• "I would be happy when FromSoft announce a new game, which systems it launches on doesn't matter

Results are only viewable after voting.

yazenov

Looking at those stats (assuming they could make it console exclusive but still let them release on PC), Surely Kadokawa would still want a chunk (they own 70% of Fromsoftware so I assume they have the final say) of money to make up for those lost Xbox sales.

That split was for the uk i think.

The FromSoftware game sold best on PC, representing 44% of total sales. Then it's PS5 with 27%, then Xbox (16%) and finally PS4 (13%).

It was comfortably Europe's biggest game of February, and was No.1 in

Xbox split in Europe is only 16%, while PS is 40% and PC 44%. (this splits are the total for Europe including the UK).

And in Japan and Asia, the Xbox splits are negligible.

Like I said, From Software will do just fine skipping the Xbox platform. Now, PC is different story.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
The FromSoftware game sold best on PC, representing 44% of total sales. Then it's PS5 with 27%, then Xbox (16%) and finally PS4 (13%).
Xbox split in Europe is only 16%, while PS is 40% and PC 44%. (this splits are the total for Europe including the UK).
Like I said, From Software will do just fine skipping the Xbox platform. Now, PC is different story.

From next game will be current gen consoles only and it's probably 4 years from now, unless you have the magic
ball there is no way to know how much split in games sales between ps5 and series consoles by then

Last edited:
As a Sony fan, PS5 exclusive works just fine for me. Best case scenario is Sony would provide From with some technical/engine assistance. If it's multiplatform, that's great for everyone. If it's Xbox exclusive, it would depend. If it was Xbox exclusive because Microsoft provided marketing or technical support or paid for the exclusivity, that's fine. If it was Xbox exclusive because Microsoft bought From, I would be pissed. I don't like monopolies and Microsoft's continued acquisitions are becoming more and more troublesome.

levyjl1988

Banned
I bought Elden Ring on Xbox SX and played it.
I have a PS5, but my console of choice is Xbox, I bought Bloodborne and Demon's Souls on PS5, but didn't play it nearly as much. I would prefer to play it on my console of choice.
If a game in the series goes exclusive it is a loss and companies are leaving money on the table. Games need to be pulled off like Minecraft and available for all but cross-save and cross-system multiplayer.

Fredrik

If it was Xbox exclusive because Microsoft provided marketing or technical support or paid for the exclusivity, that's fine.
Hmm that’s an interesting thought. I wonder how this thread would sound if it asked:
”How would you feel if Fromsoft announce their next game is Xbox console exclusive?”
Can totally imagine someone screaming ”I’d sell my console and stop gaming!1!”

Last edited:
Its weird that some say Fromsoftware would be dooming themesleves leaving money on the table with ps and pc but is that not the same situation for elder scrolls a game that is considerably a way bigger multiplatform franchise?

Versus a totally new IP from Miyazaki ?

It's clear from From's recent history that they like to alternate money-makers and more experimental passion projects. That fits well with Sony funding exclusives, since niche halo products are ideal as third party exclusives.

Elden Ring 2 will be multiplatform, the next Bloodborne or Sekiro "Souls gaiden" style game may well not be.

Its weird that some say Fromsoftware would be dooming themesleves leaving money on the table with ps and pc but is that not the same situation for elder scrolls a game that is considerably a way bigger multiplatform franchise?

Versus a totally new IP from Miyazaki ?

Bethesda is absolutely leaving money on the table by not releasing games for PlayStation, but that's a sacrifice Microsoft is willing to make. Sony doesn't own Fromsoft outright, so they can't compel them to do things that don't make business sense. What they can do is offer to fund projects that other publishers wouldn't be willing to fund under favorable terms.

Last edited:
It's clear from From's recent history that they like to alternate money-makers and more experimental passion projects. That fits well with Sony funding exclusives, since niche halo products are ideal as third party exclusives.

Elden Ring 2 will be multiplatform, the next Bloodborne or Sekiro "Souls gaiden" style game may well not be.

Bethesda is absolutely leaving money on the table by not releasing games for PlayStation, but that's a sacrifice Microsoft is willing to make. Sony doesn't own Fromsoft outright, so they can't compel them to do things that don't make business sense. What they can do is offer to fund projects that other publishers wouldn't be willing to fund under favorable terms.

All that matters is money, its why they can get things like final fantasy and silent hill. The split for japanese games on xbox platform is low enough that funding development, paying for marketing, or providing other technical resources easily makes up for it.

And again, we’re ignoring the fact that sony invested money into the company already, thats the biggest money hat that exist

Don't give a shit who buys them as long as they keep making masterpieces.

If they did get bought out by Microsoft or Sony though the meltdowns and fanboy wars would be hilarious to watch, read and listen too. I hope someone buys them, just for that reason lol, it would be fucking hysterical.

I'd be a bit pissed but no chance am I missing out on it so I'll grab a PS5 just to play it. Once I had played the ever loving shit out of it then I'd sell the PS5.

Crayon

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. I could say that. I have a playstation, so that would play into it. But I also have a pc and it would probably come there if I didn't have a playstation.

As long as they’re on PC I don’t care what the consoles do to each other.

PCMR needing the consoles to even survive on its own, as per usual 😉

On topic, if FromSoft do a PS5-exclusive, please just make sure Bluepoint are involved on the technical side at very least. From's engine needs a serious tune-up.

I wouldn't like it, i dont like exclusivity in games anyway so why would this being an exclusive excite me? if anything the current situation with Bloodborne is a clear proof that this is not a good thing to begin with.
Also from business standpoint it makes no sense, they made a lot of profit and clearly they have big fanbase all over Xbox/PC so why not capitalize on it? its not like their quality will suffer, Sekiro and Elden Ring were top notch.

PC, yes. Xbox, not so much. I mean ER sold pretty decently there but the majority of sales were PS & PC with PC having a slight edge.

If I had to take a guess, the split is probably something like 42% PC, 40% PlayStation, 18% Xbox globally.

Last edited:
Well if there is, its gonna be either a new ip or possibly even bloodborne II. So I'm fine with it. Elden Ring II and bloodborne II. Sounds good doesnt it! That way fromsoft can keep their old formula along with fully open world.

Last edited:
If Sony pays for the game it would make sense it is exclusive like demon souls or bloodborne. Hopefully their next game is multiplatform.

Well if there is, its gonna be either a new ip or possibly even bloodborne II. So I'm fine with it. Elden Ring II and bloodborne II. Sounds good doesnt it! That way fromsoft can keep their old formula along with fully open world.

This is very much what I'm hoping for. I know mainstream audiences love their open worlds and I would never stop From from making some money, but I personally prefer smaller, more focused experiences. Hopefully, now that From allegedly has three main teams, they can alternate between their big mainstream, open world games and their smaller, more linear games.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
From is multi-platform, not exclusive, it's bullshit, they will never be exclusive, will NOT!

theroom-the.gif

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Bloodborne - 2 million
Elden Ring - 17 million
Not sure Sony would want to write that check. And then also give up their share of those profits.

SoraNoKuni

They have 2 teams working on projects, if one is exclusive it's ok, there is a tradition that from works with Sony for some more experimental games so it's possible there is something.

Bartski

Gold Member
I'd love that, just as much as hearing they're making an XsX exclusive. After ER they should have enough dosh to grow a full-time 2 team.

One is likely almost done with ER DLC right now, while the other is finishing multiplatform Armored Core.

cireza

Banned
I wouldn't make any sense as they are third party. Look at Elden Ring sales, try reaching such success with only one machine. Good luck.

I would really like to see them coming back at something like Sekiro, with no inventory / no stats. It was their best game, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'd love that, just as much as hearing they're making an XsX exclusive. After ER they should have enough dosh to grow a full-time 2 team.

One is likely almost done with ER DLC right now, while the other is finishing multiplatform Armored Core.
A Bluepoint or The Coalition collaboration for graphics tech only would be nice, but without that I don’t see any upside. I hope they got a big enough taste of the multiplat money to realize it’s better for everyone to release games on all platforms going forward.

Plus, Sony have Bluepoint now anyway, I’d like to see them show what they can do fully unleashed, let them create and direct their own Bloodborne 2 and Demon’s Souls 2, both are Sony’s IPs.

A Bluepoint or The Coalition collaboration for graphics tech only would be nice, but without that I don’t see any upside. I hope they got a big enough taste of the multiplat money to realize it’s better for everyone to release games on all platforms going forward.

Plus, Sony have Bluepoint now anyway, I’d like to see them show what they can do fully unleashed, let them create and direct their own Bloodborne 2 and Demon’s Souls 2, both are Sony’s IPs.

Bluepoint can do their own game and Fromsoft can still make a playstation game, its not really one or the other.

Guerrilla lending the decima engine out to devs and providing assistance doesn’t stop them from making horizon.

It wouldn’t really stop bluepoint from lending their engine out. Bluepoint just assisted Santa Monica on God of War while making their new game

Last edited:
I'll never understand people hoping for less people to have access to a game. I want From's next game to be released on Xbox/Playstation/PC because they're good games and the more people who play good games the better

I'll never understand people hoping for less people to have access to a game. I want From's next game to be released on Xbox/Playstation/PC because they're good games and the more people who play good games the better

Why wouldn’t fans of bloodborne and demon’s souls want them collaborate again though?

There are tangible benefits other than someone not being able to play a game

Last edited:

Fredrik

Bluepoint can do their own game and Fromsoft can still make a playstation game, its not really one or the other.
Sure but like I said then I don’t see any upside to it, just means I’ll be stuck playing their badly optimized console version for no reason, and they’ll sell less games so I’m not sure what’s in it for FROM either. A better strategy is to collaborate with Bluepoint for graphics tech, then it could be great.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I wouldn't make any sense as they are third party. Look at Elden Ring sales, try reaching such success with only one machine. Good luck.

I would really like to see them coming back at something like Sekiro, with no inventory / no stats. It was their best game, in my opinion.
I'd just love to see them doing anything different.

Even if it's more medieval dark fantasy. Just change the mechanics enough so I feel like I'm playing something new.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How can you really change the mechanics though? It's really hard to reinvent the wheel for combat systems.
Either make it even more action focused like Dragon's Dogma, with it's special attacks and soft lock-on which is great for fighting groups of enemies...

Or make it something more involved, like For Honor or Mount & Blade, which systems are great for 1vs1 combat.

Also, no more rolling like a maniac, which will make positioning yourself and being able to defend/parry attacks something more important.

There's really no need to reinvent the wheel. Their games are great in many aspects, it's just that I'd like something maybe not new, but a bit fresh for it's combat. If Elden Ring 2's combat is basically the same then I'd probably be just a bit disappointed, even if I'm 100% sure I'd still enjoy that game.

Either make it even more action focused like Dragon's Dogma, with it's special attacks and soft lock-on which is great for fighting groups of enemies...

Or make it something more involved, like For Honor or Mount & Blade, which systems are great for 1vs1 combat.

Also, no more rolling like a maniac, which will make positioning yourself and being able to defend/parry attacks something more important.

There's really no need to reinvent the wheel. Their games are great in many aspects, it's just that I'd like something maybe not new, but a bit fresh for it's combat. If Elden Ring 2's combat is basically the same then I'd probably be just a bit disappointed, even if I'm 100% sure I'd still enjoy that game.
Fair enough. I never played Dragon's Dogma so I can't speak for that. With the sequel announced though, I'll prolly do a play through and see what it's all about.

As for no rolling, that would be very weird for a souls game. I find it very hard to imagine a souls game without rolling. It's a signature at this point. It's like playing God of War without pulling enemies in with the Blades of Chaos in my opinion.

I think Bloodborne had a good combat system with its own twist that was fun and engaging and fitting to the lore. Same for Sekiro. Elden Ring is really just Dark Souls IV in disguise. Even Miyazaki confirmed that the combat system in Elden Ring is an evolution of Dark Souls 3 combat.

Elden Ring 2 is technically going to be Dark Souls V. Both franchises are medieval and very similar to each other. One is open world the other is not. As for combat in that game... well I would just assume it's going to be an evolution of the Elder Rings combat.

Biggest difference for me between Elden Ring and Dark Souls combat was the ability to do jump heavy attacks and how the staggering worked. Really made a lot of bosses trivial.

TintoConCasera

Fair enough. I never played Dragon's Dogma so I can't speak for that. With the sequel announced though, I'll prolly do a play through and see what it's all about.
It may not be for everyone... for me, it's the best 7/10 I'll ever play. Hope you like it! There's a ton of things to love in that game if it manages to click with you.

As for no rolling, that would be very weird for a souls game. I find it very hard to imagine a souls game without rolling. It's a signature at this point. It's like playing God of War without pulling enemies in with the Blades of Chaos in my opinion.

I think Bloodborne had a good combat system with its own twist that was fun and engaging and fitting to the lore. Same for Sekiro. Elden Ring is really just Dark Souls IV in disguise. Even Miyazaki confirmed that the combat system in Elden Ring is an evolution of Dark Souls 3 combat.

Elden Ring 2 is technically going to be Dark Souls V. Both franchises are medieval and very similar to each other. One is open world the other is not. As for combat in that game... well I would just assume it's going to be an evolution of the Elder Rings combat.

Biggest difference for me between Elden Ring and Dark Souls combat was the ability to do jump heavy attacks and how the staggering worked. Really made a lot of bosses trivial.
Yeah agree. I think slight changes on the formula like those Bloodborne introduced would be enough for me.

Drewpee

Banned

[/URL]

You think a company can just wipe out 16% of their sales like it's no big deal?

Drewpee

Banned
Console warriorz <-- they NEED exclusives, it's like ammo in their holster. The less people that have access the better. A 3rd party game as an exclusive is like a WMD for that crowd.

Last edited:

yurinka

Kadokawa gave Sony 2% of their stock in exchange of Sony helping bring Kadokawa IPs to a global gaming and anime markets. Sony also made a minor investment on FromSoft to get part of their profits but too small to control them or require them do anything.

So the Sony shares on Kadokawa or FromSoft doesn't imply future exclusives but only to strengten their relationship and Sony getting part of their profits. But it isn't needed:

Since PS1 and basically on every PlayStation platform both Kadokawa and FromSoft published exclusives for a total of several dozens of exclusives. So it's fair to assume they'll continue making exclusives now that they have a bit closer relationship.

I personally would like to see Bloodborne 2 made or at least codeveloped or overviewed by FromSoft.

Last edited:

deeptech

shitty, because i don't give a shit about consoles, i love games on pc and exclusive games are cringe, only dimwits who side with brands love this

Console warriorz <-- they NEED exclusives, it's like ammo in their holster. The less people that have access the better. A 3rd part game as an exclusive is like a WMD for that crowd.
It's also a validation thing. They are so insecure in their decision making that they need to be validated by fake video game pixels that their purchase was worth it and that they are smarter than anyone else on the planet for choosing the product they chose to buy.

TLDR - Small pee pee energy.

yazenov

You think a company can just wipe out 16% of their sales like it's no big deal?

No, it won't be wiped out or written off as I'm sure they would be compensated for it and whatever lost potential sales would be offset by a truck full of cash.

However, the deal will be easier to negotiate the more dominant the PS5 will become and you will see more Sony exclusives. It's a similar situation with Final Fantasy 7 remake and Final Fantasy 16.

Arachnid

I want their games to come out on Xbox too going forward, so I'd be annoyed. That said, From games are system sellers for me so I'd get a PS5 just for that. Bloodborne was the reason I bought a PS4.

I want their games to come out on Xbox too going forward, so I'd be annoyed. That said, From games are system sellers for me so I'd get a PS5 just for that. Bloodborne was the reason I bought a PS4.

If it's something like Bloodborne 2 I don't think there's anything anyone can do about that.

SpokkX

If it would mean Demons Souls remake quality tech - sure

But othwise - no. And Bloodborne kind of proved even Sony couldnt save FromSoft from their own engine

Top Bottom