• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel if Sony brought back Syphon Filter or SOCOM for the PlayStation 5? Would we see a resurgence of third-person shooters?

Personally, I am more familiar with SOCOM, having played the first three games on the PlayStation 2 PlayStation 2 while I never played the Syphon Filter games whether it be for the PlayStation PlayStation or PlayStation Portable PlayStation Portable . I believe the latter has more a cult following and this isn't a bad thing considering Sony were able to bring back Warhawk for the PlayStation 3 PlayStation 3 which I liked but funnily enough also thought was a new IP at the time. Then for the PlayStation 4 PlayStation 4 we saw Sony bring back MediEvil, another one of their dormant IPs. That said, I think it would be interesting to see Syphon Filter or SOCOM return as part of Sony's exclusive lineup. And with all of the talk about super-fast SSDs and quicker load times, as well as PlayStation games eventually making their way to PC, it got me thinking about shooters. Especially the lack of third-person shooters compared to first-person everything.

I think enough time has passed to where people have mostly forgotten about SOCOM 4 and Days Gone has distracted them from thinking about a new Syphon Filter, so it would be a surprise to see, for example, one of those cool modern game trailers where Gabe Logan steps out of the shadows or perhaps a jungle setting where you barely see silhouettes of the U.S. Navy SEALs moving towards you. That'd be pretty fucking cool.

Resurgence of third person shooters? Nearly every single shooter out is third person.

SOCOM needs to go FPS and show Ubi how its done. Something of the level of Swat 3 or the original Rainbow Six/ghost recon games.

If you want a modern TPS SOCOM, it already exists - Ghost Recon Breakpoint. Its almost exactly the same thing.

Days Gone has distracted them from thinking about a new Syphon Filter,

Wait...what?

Last edited:
SOCOM has a better chance of returning, but it has to be a different kind of game experience than what the market already provides (meaning, they can’t go out and try to outdo COD like EA and BF has attempted).

Sadly I think Syphon Filter is dead. It makes more sense to just make a new IP than try to and refamiliarize folks with Gabe Logan. Plus the studios responsible for it - 989/Bend - have moved on.

Resurgence of third person shooters? Nearly every single shooter out is third person.

SOCOM needs to go FPS and show Ubi how its done. Something of the level of Swat 3 or the original Rainbow Six/ghost recon games.

If you want a modern TPS SOCOM, it already exists - Ghost Recon Breakpoint. Its almost exactly the same thing.
I'm not interested in Ubisoft's output.

Wait...what?
Because people would expect Days Gone 2.

SOCOM has a better chance of returning, but it has to be a different kind of game experience than what the market already provides (meaning, they can’t go out and try to outdo COD like EA and BF has attempted).

Sadly I think Syphon Filter is dead. It makes more sense to just make a new IP than try to and refamiliarize folks with Gabe Logan. Plus the studios responsible for it - 989/Bend - have moved on.
Yeah, I don't think SOCOM (or any franchise really) needs to be like other shooters. I'm not asking for first-person or battle royale. If the new entry plays nothing like the old then it would just have been a waste of time to bring it back.

Smoke6

All I would want is a realistic looking socom that plays exactly the same as the first 2! And it’s lights out for me buying any other game from that point on and I would want ALL the maps to return even the hated ones

Fbh

Honestly I'd be disappointed.
I don't particularly care about either of these franchises and I've never really like " modern military" themed shooters (I'm way more into doom, gears, titanfall, Halo, Vanquish, etc).

spons

Gold Member
Why in the diddly dick would they bring back these old, dead and buried franchises? Nobody cares about these games. Any pitch for the revival of these series wouldn't make it past Jim Ryan anyway. Too old and probably never good even with nostalgia goggles on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Considering how bad SOCOM games were on PS3, the better choices would be to continue with Killzone or bring back Resistance.

Since BR is big now, even try a MAG 2. When I played it it wasn't bad. Problem was it had fake gear and was 25-30 fps. Had a Call of Duty feel to it, but could never compete on a technical level to any other shooter.

But now, big games with tons of players and much better hardware, a MAG 2 kind of game should be much easier to make.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

Wait...what?
Ghost recon now is terrible, it was at its peak during the early 360 days.... GRAW 1 & 2. They were the reason I bought a 360....

I love tactical shooters and Graw was my jam but MGS4 also came with MGO / Metal Gear Online and I think much of the mechanics and stuff in that (which Kojima productions would know how to reproduce easily) would make a great new SOCOM game.

Just needs loads of customization etc.

I know far less about Syphon Filter but the industry really does need a good stealth game, I'll say that much. I don't like the more action oriented way Splinter Cell went for the last couple of games. Double Agent was the last one I enjoyed.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
tumblr_ol9xzjKRNm1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Yes, please.

Wait...what?
Ghost Recon Breakpoint is ass, how are you gonna say fills the void for the old Socom games...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I would absolutely not care, as these are two of the most aesthetically uninteresting franchises of all time. I do not want more generic third-person shooters. Nor do I think it would kill Sony to do something different for once.

Ghost recon now is terrible, it was at its peak during the early 360 days.... GRAW 1 & 2. They were the reason I bought a 360....

I love tactical shooters and Graw was my jam but MGS4 also came with MGO / Metal Gear Online and I think much of the mechanics and stuff in that (which Kojima productions would know how to reproduce easily) would make a great new SOCOM game.

Just needs loads of customization etc.

I know far less about Syphon Filter but the industry really does need a good stealth game, I'll say that much. I don't like the more action oriented way Splinter Cell went for the last couple of games. Double Agent was the last one I enjoyed.

Those were competent games but they were certainly not GRs peak or tactical by any means. Advanced Warrior on the console was to OG GR what Conviction and Blacklist are to Splinter Cell. It was GR for the nu-gen gamers/Gears/casual generation.

Advanced Warfare on the PC was closer to the OG GR games, poor ai for friendly and enemy was one of many issues that let them down. Was at its best with friends though.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint is ass, how are you gonna say fills the void for the old Socom games...

Because they werent that great to being with. SOCOM PS2/PS3 was basically a rip off of GRAW 1 and the og xbox ghost recon games.

Last edited:
Even by todays standards those PS2 SOCOM games are more enjoyable than a half-assed current gen game with a 2.4 user rating. Half-assed might be too generous actually.

And theyre no different to Ubis latest GR games. I suggest you go back and watch some video of SOCOM are refresh your memory.

Ill be the first one to defend good games as good games stand the test of time, but SOCOM did nothing new when it released and proceeded to do nothing with the ps3 versions, which is why sales fell of and Sony canned it.

When a third person "tacti-cool" shooter is doing worse in the decade that military games were at their highest demand due to 9/11 and the war in the ME, and yet Sony shit cans SOCOm before it does WipeOut...

Like it or not, Sony would have to spend way to much time and money to try and separate it from th GR and give people a reason to by it. The name will only get them so far if they load it up and realize its only GR Breakpoint with a SOCOM skin.

Because they werent that great to being with. SOCOM PS2/PS3 was basically a rip off of GRAW 1 and the og xbox ghost recon games.

SOCOM, which came out before OG Xbox GR, is a rip off of OG Xbox GR? How does that work, exactly? Even SOCOM II came out before GR2.

SOCOM was a great mix of GR and Rainbow Six. It would have been incredibly popular on Xbox. Tactical and realistic like Rainbow Six but had big open maps.

There was not a game during that era that had the content SOCOM II had. A good seizes SP campaign, plus 22 maps almost all of them amazing with five modes IIRC.

You know SOCOM seems to be a very north American kind of game. I mean it really did not take off here in the UK at all. Nearly everyone in my school had a PS2 in their household during the 2001 to 2006 period that I was there, or at least, one per family and I can't think of anyone ever talking about SOCOM. I remember seeing it in game shops like GAME, Game Exchange and Game Station but literally I don't know anyone who played it. Yet when the internet and forums became a thing so many American and Canadian gamers used to talk about it so much that I just had no idea what the fuss was about. The big things the masses were playing that I can remember were racing games and sports games. I felt weird being one of the few people in my year who played Final Fantasy X or Dark Cloud when I was a year or two into high school.

However, if you mentioned Syphon Filter, plenty of people used to remember setting people on fire with the taser. But the PS2 titles suffered the same fate from my re-collection. Nobody knew about them.

So globally I'd like to think Syphon Filter has a more broader appeal. That being said I don't know how SOCOM faired in mainland Europe or Asia. Wasn't it very much US military centric being pretty much Navy Seals or the Marine Corp? (For all I know they could be one and the same thing, I know nothing of the US military structure.)

SOCOM, which came out before OG Xbox GR, is a rip off of OG Xbox GR? How does that work, exactly? Even SOCOM II came out before GR2.

SOCOM was a great mix of GR and Rainbow Six. It would have been incredibly popular on Xbox. Tactical and realistic like Rainbow Six but had big open maps.

There was not a game during that era that had the content SOCOM II had. A good seizes SP campaign, plus 22 maps almost all of them amazing with five modes IIRC.

Your absolutely right. Fuck me, sorry fellas. Still stand by SOCOM being an avg GR clone at best though and that Breakpoint has that niche for current gen.

Whats Sony going to do to make SOCOM stand out?

They cant turn that into a major AAA title and even less likely to when theyre also censoring bum cheeks in DmC5, talking about toxic masculinity ala God of War... theres no way Sony California is going to green light a oorah macho tactical game. Those days are over for Sony.

Last edited:
I dont know about syphon filter or Socom but after fortnite success I expect more games that uses a similar third-person view

hopefully sony will bring back those franchises but I think fortnite alreade did it just the new wave of games will take a time to release fully

I want action-platformers like jak to come back :messenger_grinning:

Your absolutely right. Fuck me, sorry fellas. Still stand by SOCOM being an avg GR clone at best though and that Breakpoint has that niche for current gen.

Whats Sony going to do to make SOCOM stand out?

They cant turn that into a major AAA title and even less likely to when theyre also censoring bum cheeks in DmC5, talking about toxic masculinity ala God of War... theres no way Sony California is going to green light a oorah macho tactical game. Those days are over for Sony.

Outside of the squad based aspect of the SP, the games play nothing alike.

Barakov

I'd take both honestly. Sony has hit it out of the park with their single player games but a big 1st party shooter with AAA multiplayer is probably the one thing they don't have. If they put the right team together to develop it they could have a hit on their hands.

Well yeah i would like SOCOM, don't know enough about Siphon Filter to pass judgement but it figures that there would be a reason that it isn't a very high profile title~

GreatnessRD

Both would be welcomed editions, however, I think SOCOM hasn't happened because of their deal with Activision and COD. Even though SOCOM is a 3rd person shooter, its still a shooter. That's my guess anyway as I don't see any other good reason not to have the IP on their next-gen console.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd take both honestly. Sony has hit it out of the park with their single player games but a big 1st party shooter with AAA multiplayer is probably the one thing they don't have. If they put the right team together to develop it they could have a hit on their hands.
There's never been a better time to do grand scale shooters. MAG 2 fits the bill.

How would you feel if Sony brought back Syphon Filter or SOCOM for the PlayStation 5? Would we see a resurgence of third-person shooters?

Resurgence? Hey bro, OP can you please pass whatever you're having? I wanna get high like you. Because I have no fucking idea where you're getting this from.

Now on the topic though, I am sorry but Sony sucks at multiplayer. They either need a dedicated team for multiplayer games or a new IP that's strictly multiplayer and learn from others.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that a Syphon Filter reboot could be nice, but SOCOM needs a change of direction because could go either the Gears of War way or the Division way, and none gets hyped

I would quite possibly melt if they resurrected Syphon Filter. That’s literally game of my childhood, probably first serious game I ever played back in the day. Still, it was way too hard for me then but I was fascinated by it.

They would obviously need to build everything from ground up but somehow recapture that feel of the originals, not an easy task after so much time. It can’t be just another generic tps shooter. We have Ghost Recon already and such. But it would be great addition to already impressive Sony exclusives library.

zeioIIDX

SOCOM gave me some of my most cherished online gaming experiences. I literally still remember people's gamertags that I played with back on the original SOCOM. Acid Dragon was this dude who could snipe like nobody's business. Mailman was a player who would lob grenades like fucking raindrops all around the level and absolutely blast you to hell. Gamer was this really cool dude I played with in my first online match who was super helpful and friendly. I have so many incredible memories from SOCOM and SOCOM II and I sank countless hours into that game with my brother and dad. Would love to see a proper return to the series.

Antwix

I played the SOCOM series competitively for the better part of a decade and I'll be honest... I don't really want it to return. They fucked it up so much after SOCOM 2. Clunky movement, insanely huge maps, and later on, COD-like gameplay. It would honestly just be a disappointment. Plus, that shit show of a game, H-hour, solidifies my opinion even more.

Personally, I am more familiar with SOCOM, having played the first three games on the PlayStation 2 PlayStation 2 while I never played the Syphon Filter games whether it be for the PlayStation PlayStation or PlayStation Portable PlayStation Portable . I believe the latter has more a cult following and this isn't a bad thing considering Sony were able to bring back Warhawk for the PlayStation 3 PlayStation 3 which I liked but funnily enough also thought was a new IP at the time. Then for the PlayStation 4 PlayStation 4 we saw Sony bring back MediEvil, another one of their dormant IPs. That said, I think it would be interesting to see Syphon Filter or SOCOM return as part of Sony's exclusive lineup. And with all of the talk about super-fast SSDs and quicker load times, as well as PlayStation games eventually making their way to PC, it got me thinking about shooters. Especially the lack of third-person shooters compared to first-person everything.

I think enough time has passed to where people have mostly forgotten about SOCOM 4 and Days Gone has distracted them from thinking about a new Syphon Filter, so it would be a surprise to see, for example, one of those cool modern game trailers where Gabe Logan steps out of the shadows or perhaps a jungle setting where you barely see silhouettes of the U.S. Navy SEALs moving towards you. That'd be pretty fucking cool.
doubt syphon filter is coming back I wish but sony seems to want to stick to making HBO shows the game. I'm very much over these over dramatic parent sims games there about a million and one better power fantasy to be had then being a parent. Socom is dead as well since sony closed down zipper so rip socom and mag the devs that made warhawk got shut down as well so rip that ip as well. At best if sony brought back one IP it would be Jak and it wouldnt be to make a sequel to Jak3 it would be to turn Jak into some unchated TLOU light gateway so I have little interest in sony bringing back any ips until they change the way there current game play structure in games goes back to there ps2 days

Top Bottom