• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you have written the ending for The Last of Us?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SPOILERS

How would you have ended it? Personally, I would have liked to see Ellie become a sacrifice/sacrifice herself consciously for a cure. Maybe Joel makes it to the operating room and while he initially tries to stop the procedure, he eventually gets to talk to Ellie and finds out that Ellie herself wants to push through with the procedure to make a cure, that she wants to help mankind and not let the sacrifices of everyone that helped them along the way (especially Tess) be in vain.

This is 100x worse

Nameless

Perfect ending. Joel potentially sacrificing humanity's future instead of sacrificing Ellie, and then lying to her about everything, all because he couldn't take losing her like he lost Sarah was just.....yeah, perfection.

If you took the time to listen to Marlene's recordings and read her and the doctor's journals, it's clear that letting Ellie die would serve the greater good, but I had become so attached to her, and invested in her relationship with Joel, that I gave no fucks about the survival of mankind at that point. I executed each and every medical professional I saw without hesitation, and let out the biggest sigh of relief ever when the camera finally panned down to Ellie, alive, in the back seat.

No regrets. Fuck people; we somehow managed to be the biggest evil in a dying world filled with grotesque murderous creatures.

ClearData

*Spoiler-ish if you haven't finished the game.

What the Last of Us doesn't tell us is if Ellie is, in fact, the only immune person. Which I highly doubt that as it sounds statistically impossible.

From what I remember about a documentary virology there comes a tipping point where the virus has saturated its infection point in host organisms. If every host organism dies then the virus can no longer replicate. Now, obviously the fungus is fictional, but, if humans are a food source and a source of spreading how would it sustain itself if it rendered the population extinct? Nature, to me, operating on a system of checks and balances, produces a human genetically immune to the virus. If Ellie has done it I think it stands to reason others have the same immunity. Except Ellie is the only known person immune.

Now, from a sociological perspective, if I play out a scenario where Ellie had died and a cure was developed that'd give the Fireflies massive political power in the three headed power structure that includes them, the military, and the hunters. They would effectively decide who lives and dies. There is nothing indicating that the Fireflies would forgive and forget. They could extract all manner of concessions or simply let people they don't like die if they couldn't mass produce a cure. Worse yet, it could touch of a war for the cure itself.

So, concluding my thoughts, Joel was mostly operating on emotion and instinct. But on some level I really believe he didn't see the people like himself, the hunters, and Fireflies as worth enough of a damn to sacrifice Ellie for under any circumstance. It's selfish and morally apprehensible, but I can see reason to it from a macro perspective of what happens if a cure was developed. Again, doubt that was going through his head. But he clearly had time to consider things a bit when Marlene was begging. And he did not care.

I have nothing to back up my suspicion of others that share immunity to the fungus, but it's just my theory that some of the population would develop immunity. Leaving the remnants like Joel to die off. Probably for the best.

P.S. If any of my science is off base please don't take offense. I do not claim to be an expert.

I guess if I had to change the ending, I'd make it so that, after shooting the doctors and leaving with Ellie slung over his shoulder, Joel exits the building and sees a film crew standing just outside the door.

He's shocked to discover his entire life is a Truman Show-esque farce. His daughter is actually still alive, Ellie is a 30-something actress with a drug problem, and his guns have been firing blanks at actors.

This breaks Joel's brain and the game closes on him painting a padded cell wall with his feces while alternating between cackles and sobs.

The End.

I wouldn't have changed anything. The whole game specifically built up to that precise ending, so changing the ending would have fucked up the entire narrative.

Joel and Ellie both wake up in a theatre. It turns out they were both watching an apocalyptic film and fell asleep!

They stretch, have a laugh, high-five, then skip out of there to the tune of this!

But then Will Smith shows up, and that's when things get SEXY.

zebaz08

They should have given the choice to kill the doctors or not. When I played it the first time, I waited for something to happen, but when I realized I HAD to kill them... well, I insulted the developers out loud -_-

You just have to kill one of them

The final moments of the game were so fucking good that I wanted to get up and high five everybody in sight (which was an awkward contrast with the actual emotion of the moment). I still can't believe a huge AAA game ended that way.

That ending is perfect. Ellie has her doubts while Joel is questioning everything and will probably have some second thoughts. Their relationship is heading into some hard times sooner or later.

I just hope TLOU2 will tell us what happened between the two.

I'm a pretty vocal critic of TLOU and I think the ending was the best part of the game. If the rest of it was up to that level of storytelling standard (that actually utilized interactivity in the story like the ending did) the game would be something incredible.

Hell, the fact that so many people think you should be able to spare the doctors means that the entire point of the thing was lost on them.

I'm not even a fan of TLOU, but I thought th ending was on point. It brings closure to the journey but also really gives the audience a lasting impression of Joel. He learned how to care about someone else again and somehow manages to look even more selfish than he was before.

Joel wakes up whilst skydiving. It was all part of his bucket list!

But who is that with the knife in the glidesuit coming up towards him?

It's Ellie! She's resentful that tycoon Joel never gave money to any of her causes! She's out for blood...at thirty thousand feet!

AegisScott

Neo Member
I rather like the ending- I remember an animator from ND talking about how integral the facial animation tech was to selling Ellie's decision to believe Joel at the end. There's a real doubt on her face, but he's the one thing she has.

That said, the last level is a complete travesty and I'm surprised more people don't talk about it. An utter betrayl of the game's core mechanics and design.

Moz

OP is bonkers. The Last Of Us has not only my favourite game ending but one of my favourite endings I've found in any fiction. There are numerous ways it can be interpreted, and then multiple ways to feel about each interpretation.

Shepherd

Neo Member
Personally wouldn't change it. The game was an absolute masterpiece and the ending is on of the many things that made the game so good.

Joel wakes up whilst skydiving. It was all part of his bucket list!

But who is that with the knife in the glidesuit coming up towards him?

It's Ellie! She's resentful that tycoon Joel never gave money to any of her causes! She's out for blood...at thirty thousand feet!

I'm digging some of these posts. Someone should start a thread where people rewrite the ending to some of their favorite games. I'd do it but I'm saving my thread-starting virginity for something special.

Edit: Although I'm sure such a thread already exists.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Warning spoilers and such

Ellie raising a gun to her head and bam

Next scene, Joel and couple of people sitting 'round campfire and somebody yells "Damn son, this lamb is tender"

Closeup on Joel with a grin from ear to ear

THE END

The Last of us 2: Cannibal paradise coming in 2016

To be fair to OP, I felt the same after finishing it. It did feel a bit abrupt and weird. But - the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. It's an interesting ending. It shows Joel in a different light and while I'm sure people will hate what he did, I can see why he did it. I wouldn't have it any other way either.

Tuck

Would have kept it exactly how it was. Joel's actions tie into the entire themes of the game and is the perfect resolution to a character arc set up from the intro.
Agreed.

I can see why someone might disagree with what he did. But the fact that he did it is totally believable.

Olde-tyme Ellie awakes from her fever dream. She needs succor!

Who to do so but the dashing young rouge in Mr Jolesmith! Hark! He rides in on a horse.

The fog is muggy, and the brine is deep. There are lights out there.

"You do know, Lady Elliesmith, that we art thou. Thine ist but the last of us."

sUXlTcQ.gif

Brave

Banned
It wasn't a perfect ending in my opinion. It seemed like the last cutscenes were building up for something else. If it was my choice I'd do one of those things:

1- Joel says they're going to Tommy's. End the game right after Joel swears that everything he said about the fireflies was true.
That would've made Joel's feelings as a father figure towards Ellie more clear. Ellie doubting him with the long looks and "...Ok" made him look like a kidnapper, in my opinion.

2- Ellie elaborately explains her doubt to Joel after he swears, adding that she knew she would die after the surgery and that is a sacrifice she's willing to take. End game while Joel is speechless after what Ellie says.
This would've made the ending much more interesting because not only it shows how Joel felt for Ellie, but opens up further possibilties about what Ellie would do in the future.

Anyway, seeing how many responded to this thread really proves that TLOU was nothing short of a extraordinary game.

ClearData

Olde-tyme Ellie awakes from her fever dream. She needs succor!

Who to do so but the dashing young rouge in Mr Jolesmith! Hark! He rides in on a horse.

The fog is muggy, and the brine is deep. There are lights out there.

"You do know, Lady Elliesmith, that we art thou. Thine ist but the last of us."

sUXlTcQ.gif

You need to work with RAD on The Order 1886.

Videospel

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't want to shoot the doctor. I held off doing it for a long time, hoping he would drop the scalpel or move out of the way. When he didn't, I finally shot him in the hand just to make him drop the weapon. It killed him :(

Tigress

Honestly, the ending I would have written or how I thought it was going, was way worse than what they did.

I'm not sure I could write a better/more appropriate for the theme/feel of the game than how they did it. It's just as masterful as the ending to The Grapes of Wrath that also had that same very appropriate to the statement of the story ending (btw, it also had a very abrupt ending that felt like nothing was resolved and left the characters hopeless with no idea where they were going. As my teacher pointed out, yes i read it for a class, that was pretty much the feel of people who had to live in the Great Depression. The ending left you the impression of what it was like during that time. I at the time hated the ending until explained that but when pointed out, it made a lot of sense and really did work with the story).

I mean there are some things I would have done differently if I were there (or at least strongly proposed for.. like for example asking Ellie what she'd like them to do rather than insist she have no say in the matter like both sides were doing), but, I think the ending was perfect for the story and characters (the fact that neither side wanted to let Ellie have a choice worked for their characters and said something about them). And really captured the kind of theme/feel/tale they were going for. It worked perfectly for the story.

I, personally, don't understand two things that some people seem to think about this ending.

First that some people think that killing Ellie was a guarantee to a magical cure. There's no reason to believe that killing Ellie would do anything but fail.

Secondly, that there is such a thing as a clear-cut "murder for the greater good". Right now they could save lives by killing any healthy person in this conversation and chopping them up for organ donation. They could potentially save a dozen people or more. Would that be ok? Keep in mind they aren't even chopping Ellie up for already infected people, just people who might, eventually, become infected.

Nameless

Yup, and would be an analogy to their relationship.

Sure, I can see the poetry in it, but I think it would've been too easy to just kill them off like that. So they're dead...so are countless others. The TLOU world is filled to the brim with death. Joel betraying Ellie and his species to mitigate his own suffering carries much more depth and impact.

Besides, we don't get grown up master ninja Ellie tearing through the pandemic wasteland for the next three sequels if there's a cure or she's dead.

Tigress

I, personally, don't understand two things that some people seem to think about this ending.

First that some people think that killing Ellie was a guarantee to a magical cure. There's no reason to believe that killing Ellie would do anything but fail.

Secondly, that there is such a thing as a clear-cut "murder for the greater good". Right now they could save lives by killing any healthy person in this conversation and chopping them up for organ donation. They could potentially save a dozen people or more. Would that be ok? Keep in mind they aren't even chopping Ellie up for already infected people, just people who might, eventually, become infected.

I love how they leave that muddled on whether the cure would have worked or not and left it grey on if it was an ok thing. I was relieved when I wasn't given the choice of whether to save or kill Ellie because that would have been such a hard decision (and I usually go for the "greater good" decisions but I really liked Ellie so it made it easier to see from Joel's POV as well). I was actually angry at the game cause I thought it was going to make me make that decision (when Joel wakes up and is explained by the Fireflies that Ellie won't live from what they are going to do) and I thought it was just too cruel to do that to me.

Personally, if it were an RPG game where you got to play how you would have reacted in the situation, I would have my character going for the option of, "It's Ellie's life, she should have say in whether she wants to give it up for maybe a hope for humanity and she should be explained that it's just a hope and not a guarentee".

But, they had a tale to tell and it wasn't an RPG designed so you make your own story. It was a game designed to tell you a story and the ending and how they handled it worked perfectly for the story and characters.

It was actually the 1920s! Joel is on his last legs. These palookas will never take him alive!

But hark! Who is that mysterious masked FBI agent?

It's Director Ellie!

"Alright ya mugs! Put up ya peepas! Youse guys is really the last of youse."

Joel and Ellie are atop the hill, same as usual, when Nathan Drake stumbles out of the bushes, naked and slathered in vaseline. He squats down, takes a shit on the ground, looks at the camera and gives a big wink.

Kariodude

Banned
I've discussed this with friends. I know they said originally they had the ending play out from Joel's point of view and it made players mad that you would lie to Ellie so when they switched it to you seeing it from Ellie's point of view you're more accepting of what happens. I think the clear best ending would have been if you were playing as Joel and you got to choose between lying or telling the truth. It would have presented a real moral dilemma. I would have easily stared at my screen for an hour not knowing what to do.

Draper

Ellie reveals she's a lesbian.

It would be super thought-provoking and powerful. The message would somehow make up for the terrible show leading up to it...wait, what were we talking about?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
They should have given the choice to kill the doctors or not. When I played it the first time, I waited for something to happen, but when I realized I HAD to kill them... well, I insulted the developers out loud -_-

No, no, no, no.
That's the whole point. You are NOT Joel. Joel makes his own choices, and you either like or loathe them. And, likely, you never noticed because you'd have made the same choices Joel had made until then - But, here's your wake-up call.
I found it beautifully executed.

Koh

Loved it, the ending of the story was perfect.

The gameplay section was a bit rocky though. I just would have had something that indicated a doctor needed to be killed to move forward or something that made the player rush, like people breaking down the door he came in through. Sitting there for a minute walking around the whole room to identify the progression trigger was a bit awkward.

Top Bottom