• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you like Nintendo's franchises to change with the Cafe?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nirolak said:
Days of Ruin is the most balanced entry, but probably also the hardest.

A lot of the RPG-esque elements were removed so you couldn't just power up your commander's super move and then win the match.

It was a large tonal change from the earlier ones also.

But basically, if you want more RPG elements/an easier game/a light tone, go for Dual Strike, if you want more strategy elements/a harder game/a darker tone, go for Days of Ruin.

You can't really go wrong though, they're both great games.

This is a fair point.

I'll definitely bump this again after the reveal, or if it gets too large, make a second thread titled "Now that we've seen it, etc".

Days is definitely easier than AW1 hard mode.

F-Zero: UGC out the ass. 30-player online modes.

Smash: Massive online functionality. I'm talking about Halo Reach style lobbies and shit. And better netcode (Motherfucking Brawl gave me 2 second input delay when playing with my friend who lives 5 minutes away).

Zelda: Huge open world. You see a mountain off in the distance? Hop on your horse and climb it. Seamless world as well.

Pikmin: Online fucking coop.

DKCR: DKCR1 was already the God of War of platformers with its huge setpieces. For DKCR2, make them even larger and more over the top. Also, online coop.

sn00zer

+New first party IPs...c'mon Nintendo make me want your consoles (never was a Nintendo fan so new game in series X has never excited me)

+Or hey how bout making radical changes to the formulas...if you could do it with Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime you can do it again

I want a zelda that is huge, with large mass areas that take 15 or so minutes to cross as well as open seas for you to traverse, basically a hybrid of OoT and WW bur on a grander scale

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AW1 hard mode is pretty fucking brutal.

Anyways unless the spinoff was handled by someone else I'd rather have Int Sys focus on making a 3DS AW game.

Days of Ruin was fantastic though on all levels.

Nirolak said:
Days of Ruin is the most balanced entry, but probably also the hardest.

A lot of the RPG-esque elements were removed so you couldn't just power up your commander's super move and then win the match.

It was a large tonal change from the earlier ones also.

But basically, if you want more RPG elements/an easier game/a light tone, go for Dual Strike, if you want more strategy elements/a harder game/a darker tone, go for Days of Ruin.

You can't really go wrong though, they're both great games.

This is a fair point.

I'll definitely bump this again after the reveal, or if it gets too large, make a second thread titled "Now that we've seen the Cafe and what it can do, etc".

Hmm, I way prefer RPG mechanics to strategy ones but Days of Ruin's narrative sounds so freakin' cool. Damn. Wish it was the other way around.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sn00zer said:
+New first party IPs...c'mon Nintendo make me want your consoles (never was a Nintendo fan so new game in series X has never excited me)

+Or hey how bout making radical changes to the formulas...if you could do it with Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime you can do it again

OoT was a dimensional and perspective change, but its pretty much LttP in 3D.

sn00zer said:
Ocarina was a radical change from 2d Zelda was my point

I can't agree. It was simply a fantastic evolution of the 2D formula (more specifically LA and LTTP) in 3D.

If you say OoT was a radical change simply because it took a franchise from 2D to 3D, then you'd be saying that about a shiteload of games.

Dartastic

TheSeks said:
-I want Zelda to do the same. Same reason.
Wat? There has only been one main console Zelda out this generation, and it's a Gamecube port. We still don't know very much about Skyward sword, and you're saying Zelda is suffering from franchise fatigue? GTFO.

TheSeks said:
-I want a goddamn Metroidvania. I don't give a damn if it's on the WiiWii or 3DS. JUST GIVE ME ONE DAMN IT. Or hire Chair to do it and name it Shadow Metroid, FFS. To go into this: I don't like the Metroid Prime series. Yes, they're great games, but I don't like them. So doing more of them or more in that style doesn't really appeal to me.
This I can get behind. Or a Castlevania like this on Cafe. Actually, I just want another MV style Castlevania, period. Don't care what console it's on.

I also happen to think this thread is a bit early seeing as we really don't know much officially about the system yet. Give it a month.

sn00zer

_Alkaline_ said:
I can't agree. It was simply a fantastic evolution of the 2D formula (more specifically LA and LTTP) in 3D.

If you say OoT was a radical change simply because it took a franchise from 2D to 3D, then you'd be saying that about a shiteload of games.
Nintendo releases new DK game...with 2D gameplay
Nintendo releases new Mario game...with 2D gameplay
Nintendo releases new Metroid game...with pseudo 2D gameplay

OoT compared to what Nintendo does today was a radical change to a well established franchise, just would like Nintendo to be more adventurous with their big IPs (although I will admit they are much more experimental with their smaller handheld games)

Orayn

HK-47 said:
I want the Zelda team to completely ignore the fanbase.
This is the best possible direction for the series. Let the great men create! Timelines and whining over cartooniness or lack thereof be damned.

Star Fox:
Go back to Star Fox 1, focus on dodging tons of crazy stuff in the air instead of focusing on shooting combos. But of course, there will be some fine gunplay and bosses.

Metroid:
If 3D: Big, open world environments.
If 2D: I'd love to see one animated similar to Wario Land: Shake It! (or shake Dimension) but with a darker art style.

Those are the only thoughts I have. The other franchises I have faith in Nintendo to make me very excited.

I'd also like to see them re-visit Waverace and 1080. I think they can execute some great ideas with them.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dartastic said:
Wat? There has only been one main console Zelda out this generation, and it's a Gamecube port. We still don't know very much about Skyward sword, and you're saying Zelda is suffering from franchise fatigue? GTFO.

This I can get behind. Or a Castlevania like this on Cafe. Actually, I just want another MV style Castlevania, period. Don't care what console it's on.

I also happen to think this thread is a bit early seeing as we really don't know much officially about the system yet. Give it a month.

There have been 7 Zelda games in the past 10 years. Its not Ratchet but thats still a lot.

Neiteio

Well, here's one Zelda fan offering up his wish regardless of other people's wishes to ignore the fan! But I'll keep it simple:

Go back to the style in The Wind Waker. (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks don't count.) TWW is still so fresh and interesting; certain bits like the gleefully animated Moblins with their lanterns and spears, or the Mothulas with their rocket-thruster abdomens and glittering spores, are downright STUNNING. Let's see the sidequests of Majora's Mask and the dungeons of Twilight Princess put to service in a cel-shaded world that looks and sounds like TWW. And, perhaps, pack the overworld as full of detail and complexity as Koholint Island in Link's Awakening.

That's the recipe for the perfect Zelda, imo. :)

Pikmin SRPG. Although that would probably work better as a handheld title.

Miis that look like Home characters that look like Miis.

Zelda to go back to its each area is on its own small screen on the world map (like in all the 2D zeldas where it was grid based, except less grid based). I just don't want a huge empty field. I liked doing the different puzzles on the world map to get to places. And also really good textures and lighting. Better grafix doesn't have to mean that everything look realistic or super different. Just nicer, and cleaner.

A Pokemon game in 3D that doesn't look all goofy and smooth and stuff. Like with the Zelda post, I had this sort of idea where you could make an HD Pokemon with detailed textures, but still keeping the same sort of design. Or, heck, make it fake claymation or something. I dunno. With better graphics, I wanna see some more fake claymation since real claymation is probably more of an expensive, time-consuming, pain in the butt.

Oh. And make another Four Swords. I know that's not really an evolution thing, but it needs to happen again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
There have been 7 Zelda games in the past 10 years Its not Ratchet but thats still a lot.
Maybe I'm miscounting, but aren't there more?

1. Oracle of Ages (2001)
2. Oracle of Seasons (2001)
3. Four Swords (2002)
4. Wind Waker (2002)
5. Four Swords Adventures (2004)
6. The Minish Cap (2004)
7. Twilight Princess (2006)
8. Phantom Hourglass (2007)
9. Link's Crossbow Training (2007) [Though we could remove this with good reason.]
10. Spirit Tracks (2009)
11. Skyward Sword (2011)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
I would like an Advance Wars spinoff that works like this:

Essentially it's a hybrid RTS-TPS.

The RTS elements such as base building, unit production, and overall army control are managed on the Cafe's touch screen controller.

On the main screen however, you can control your commander unit as if you were playing a third person shooter akin to something like Battlefield with a Valkyria like rendering style.
While I want to like your idea it sounds way too much like Battalion Wars for my tastes.

watershed

Banned
Neiteio said:
Well, here's one Zelda fan offering up his wish regardless of other people's wishes to ignore the fan! But I'll keep it simple:

Go back to the style in The Wind Waker. (Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks don't count.) TWW is still so fresh and interesting; certain bits like the gleefully animated Moblins with their lanterns and spears, or the Mothulas with their rocket-thruster abdomens and glittering spores, are downright STUNNING. Let's see the sidequests of Majora's Mask and the dungeons of Twilight Princess put to service in a cel-shaded world that looks and sounds like TWW. And, perhaps, pack the overworld as full of detail and complexity as Koholint Island in Link's Awakening.

That's the recipe for the perfect Zelda, imo. :)

I support this notion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jive Turkey said:
While I want to like your idea it sounds way too much like Battalion Wars for my tastes.
Yeah, I was assuming a very different feel than Battalion Wars, but there is some conceptual similarity.

Neiteio

Nirolak said:

1. Oracle of Ages (2001)
3. Four Swords (2002)
4. Wind Waker (2002)
6. The Minish Cap (2004)
9. Link's Crossbow Training (2007) [Though we could remove this with good reason.]
10. Spirit Tracks (2009)
11. Skyward Sword (2011)
He's probably omitting the Four Swords tacked onto ALttP GBA, as well as Four Swords Adventures and Link's Crossbow Training, and perhaps Skyward Sword since it's not out yet. I personally wouldn't discount FSA, though; it's an AMAZING Zelda title with a perfectly legit single-player on top of a simply spectacular multiplayer.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nirolak said:

1. Oracle of Ages (2001)
3. Four Swords (2002)
4. Wind Waker (2002)
6. The Minish Cap (2004)
10. Spirit Tracks (2009)
11. Skyward Sword (2011)

I didnt realize the Oracles were 2001 and not 2000. Wasnt counting Crossbow or Skyward.

Kevin

Mario: I would love to see a Mario game that delivered very polished visuals but also return more to it's roots, taking place once again in the mushroom kingdom.

Zelda: I would love to see the team go big with this one aiming to create the next, "Ocarina of Time" quality game for the next generation.

Star Fox: Would love to see the Star Fox team return with online co-op play and designed like the older Star Fox games.

Basically if Nintendo truly is aiming for the core gamer again as rumored then it would stand to make sense that they would not simplify their core titles and instead allow them to progress with the times.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
Yeah, I was assuming a very different feel than Battalion Wars, but there is some conceptual similarity.
I mean I can see where you're going with it. If it played much more like Valkyria Chronicles than Battalion Wars then I'd give it a try. I'd personally make it turn-based instead of real-time.

Hell Valkyria Chronicles set in the Days of Ruin world would get my money.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kevin said:
Mario: I would love to see a Mario game that delivered very polished visuals but also return more to it's roots, taking place once again in the mushroom kingdom.

Zelda: I would love to see the team go big with this one aiming to create the next, "Ocarina of Time" quality game for the next generation.

Star Fox: Would love to see the Star Fox team return with online co-op play and designed like the older Star Fox games.

Basically if Nintendo truly is aiming for the core gamer again as rumored then it would stand to make sense that they would not simplify their core titles and instead allow them to progress with the times.

Wasnt NSMB Wii in the Mushroom Kingdom? 3d never has - painting worlds, Delfino, the whole galaxy.

Metroid should be one huge uninterrupted alien planet. NO visible loading. No colored doors (except inside man-made structures).

Being outdoors should NOT feel like you are inside a series of open-topped shoeboxes, like it did in the Prime games.

Make Metroid feel like you are REALLY on an exotic unexplored alien world.

Neiteio

Chet Rippo said:
Donkey Kong Country Forever
Yes. Donkey and Diddy team up with Funky and Dixie for teamwork tactics; basically, Funky (in muscle shirt, bandana and jean shorts; see the Konga art, clean and simple) is a gameplay clone of DK, and either DK or Funky can be mixed and matched with Diddy or Dixie for unique teamwork powers (I.E. Diddy's jetpack, Dixie's ponytail spin). Then, add all-new underwater levels featuring the return of Enguarde the Swordfish. Bring back K. Rool and the Kremlings, by popular demand. Include local/online co-op for two to four players, and allow players to separate by streaming to their controllers (thus no unwitting deaths by forcing the screen to scroll). And finally, give Dave Wise an orchestra for a bombastic soundtrack as dark and brooding and whimsically atmospheric as the one that made DKC2 a legend. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jive Turkey said:
I mean I can see where you're going with it. If it played much more like Valkyria Chronicles than Battalion Wars then I'd give it a try. I'd personally make it turn-based instead of real-time.

Hell Valkyria Chronicles set in the Days of Ruin world would get my money.
Yeah, I actually had that in my post originally (Painraze beat my stealth edit :lol), but decided it was rather confusing to have both options suggested at the same time since Battlefield and Valkyria play really differently.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Eh, not much really. Release more games is about it.

There are particular second and third parties that I think would fit quiet a few series best, other then what seems to be a lower output of games on console, there isn't much for that I really want different on the Cafe.

Assuming Skyward Sword does not rock the boat, Zelda needs to completely change itself. It needs to have a great, magical, focused overworld like ALttP has, not just big and empty. It needs to have less items that are more important over the entire game.

Super Smash Bros. needs to be more serious. Hell, you can make tripping an optional effect, but along with other silly things that serious players wouldn't want to be forced to use.

beast786

I would love to see Zelda change with Cafe.

Have linked aged and much more realistic graphics but still keep the connection The game will have real time effectt on link. Bruises , scars etc etc. Voice over and narrative.

witcher22011-05-1801-4077y.jpg

Back in the world of Hyrule,

Open world game, with setting more close to LoTR more gritty environments.

16948_the_lord_of_the_rings.jpg

The game will be SP but would have a multilayer component within its SP campaign.

Meaning. As you travel as link you will go city by city. Each of those city are going to be ruled by other players. Within each city there will be a quest. The Guest player would protect that city from Link , and could create an army and obstacles .

It would be a create and share model in a Magical world against the protagonis.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly prefer linear platforming with "multiple" paths being more like Super Mario World.

And that "replace Star Fox as humans" clearly have no idea what he's talking about. Because apparently turning them into humans would make the game suddenly better!

EDIT: Oh god, look who's in this topic!

I'm hoping for more stylization of the graphics, take a game like windwaker and fill it with more of everything, more birds in the sky, more sealife, increase the aa and resolution etc.

I don't want nintendo doing realism, i don't think their games are an adequte fit for it, with some exceptions (namely metroid).

Meier

All I want are HD graphics and standard controls. That's it. The lack of those things is why I don't play my Wii.

I'd kill for a Wind Waker sequel too.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gravijah said:
I want a Zelda starring young or tween Link that isn't another Celda, damn it.
That reminds me, I want HAL to make a cell shaded Kirby Game one of these days.

Top Bottom