• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you like Nintendo's franchises to change with the Cafe?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really like the concept behind beast's thread, but due to the controversial nature of his opinion, the thread went in a different direction than I was hoping it would.

Due to this, I wanted to make a parallel thread that rephrases the question.

The Cafe is rumored to have a vast increase in power over the Wii. This will allow Cafe games to have increased level size, physics, online functionality, AI complexity, level streaming, number of entities (be they players, enemies, or objects), and more. It is also rumored to have a touch screen controller that is also a regular gamepad.

Given this, how would you like Nintendo's franchises to change with the Cafe?

Some Example Positions:

-I want Series X to play the same, but have improved graphics.
-I want Series Y to play the same, but have vastly improved online.
-I want Series Z to be totally changed to be like (insert explanation here) instead.

Feel free to share any ideas you have. While posters should feel free to discuss each other's suggestions, it would be better if we avoided mocking each other over them. Our goal is just to see everyone's ideas and discuss them as opposed to getting angry with one another for differences in opinion.

I want a Zelda game with a Hyrule that is just massive. It should take at least half an hour to travel from border to border on horseback. Especially if they return to a more exploration heavy title. I know this is wishful thinking, but it would be nice.

Super Smash Bros. needs an amazing online presence. Make it easy to set up tournaments. Have a "professional" league where you need to have a certain high level of stats to play. This would need a spectator mode where people could watch the best Smash Bros. players compete and have a great time while learning some tips and tricks.

I want Mario games to evolve into something that isn't pure gameplay mechanics.

I want the Zelda series to utilize the Cafe's horsepower to put in more well realized and characterized NPCs, more complex and narratively satisfying sidequests and a truly lived-in world that I truly feel an emotional connection to so I am highly motivated to fight for it in the main quest.

Yep.

- Have Metroid play more like a shooter, have more logic in story/level design, and ditched closed world in favor of exploration and a mission system.

- End Star Fox series replacing animals with humans and mix Rogue Squadron 2 with the speed of F-Zero GX.

- Come up with an entirely new concept for Mario. No more stars/shines. 2 hits = dead MAX.

With the new graphics tech, Cafe would be a nice place for a revamped Star Fox game with large open areas for large battles. (Not the small ones like in Star Fox 64) Think of it more like Star Fox meets Wing Commander / Freespace.

fernoca

Hmm...
-The Legend of Zelda ala Fable/Oblivion. Open-world, exploration, customization, lush forests, dark caves, but with the usual bosses and the usual puzzles.

-Super Mario, if anything I'd like just Galaxy..with even more crazy/variation in gravity...and even more rounded/colorful visuals/textures.

-Same with Super Smash Bros.... similar to Brawl, but with a ton more characters, items, guests and obvious online improvements (lobbies, chat, spectator)

I'd like for Nintendo to produce another original sci-fi IP along the lines of Zelda or Metroid. I don't care where they go with it as far as target demographic or gameplay, I just want to see them put some effort into a new sci-fi IP that isn't Zelda or Metroid (or Pikmin, even though a sequel would be godly).

AdamBot

Online play as it should be! Mario Kart! F-Zero! Heck, even NSMB co-op. That would be a nice "better late than never" offering.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would like an Advance Wars spinoff that works like this:

Essentially it's a hybrid RTS-TPS.

The RTS elements such as base building, unit production, and overall army control are managed on the Cafe's touch screen controller.

On the main screen however, you can control your commander unit as if you were playing a third person shooter akin to something like Battlefield with a Valkyria like rendering style.

The art style would still look like Days of Ruin.

advance_wars_days_of_rq7wa.jpg
advance_wars_days_of_ro78p.jpg

JazzmanZ

A Pokemon title on the cafe' that plays like the RPGs but isn't a official new generation one.

I don't want no mystery dungeon cafe' or something like Colosseum.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:

The RTS elements such as base building, unit production, and overall army control are managed on the Cafe's touch screen controller.

On the main screen however, you can control your commander unit as if you were playing a third person shooter akin to something like Battlefield or perhaps Valkyria Chronicles.

Fuckin' a... I'd buy that in a second.

Zelda:
- not much I want to see changed other than non-hardware stuff. a dense, open overworld though (notice I didn't say large)

Star Fox:
- free fly with large space battles going on

Mario:
- again not much I can see

Pikmin:
- ONE MILLION PIKMIN

Endless Ocean 3:
- this is the game that could use the most of the hardware. think the showcase mode, but all the time

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I want a new Custom Robo that takes the visual aesthetic of Battle Revolution and makes it HD. I want robust online matches, offering every option one could think of and then some. And the ability to permanently lose parts in waged matches online. I want updates to the game that add new parts and official monthly tournaments.

I want that same game to have cross compatability to the 3DS or have a version designed for the 3DS that lets you swap parts through streetpass and bring them back to Cafe and add them to your console game.

fernoca

Yeah, that Advance Wars idea from Nirolak is pretty nice.

I haven't given much thought to the screen-thing in the controller, even forgot about it when I posted my previous reply.

Zelda could use bigger environments, but only if they aren't as barren as WW's ocean.

I'm really not sure how the extra power benefits most of Nintendo franchises. NSMBW was pretty much fine the way it was just use a little more savings from the money vault next time. Metroid should go back to being a sidescroller with more focus on the environmental atmosphere and way less Team Ninja.

Mainly I'll just be happy the jaggies will be gone (hopefully).

Orayn

Zelda could afford to get a little more non-linear, with huge environments that are also rich with hidden treasures and interesting little things to discover. More sidequests that aren't protracted item hunts, and a greater sense of mystery and wonder.

Mario should go full steam ahead with mind-bending platforming. It can look like an MC Escher painting as long as it's intuitive enough to play and fun. Keep things bright, colorful, and quick.

The Metroid series simply needs to shut up. The storytelling should be as minimalistic and non-invasive as possible. Give me eerie ambiance, text logs optionally read by a computer voice, and lots of time to just soak in the scenery.

Super Smash brothers could do with some sort of "competitive mode," just to keep everyone happy. I really do like how it plays, and I think it could make a splash in the new fighting game renaissance with a little tournament support.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I want every franchise to include some jawdropping visuals so Nintendo can impress me for once. It also depends on what gimmicks Cafe introduces.

Ranger X

I would take on a full "open world" Mushroom Kingdom in the next main 3D Mario. And where else could they do anyways if they don't want to repeat the Mario64 model and the Galaxy model anyways?

Zelda

- same style as Twilight Princess, with the detail of something like The Witcher 2
- more complex dungeons which make you rely more on the map, which would be displayed on the controller screen
- bigger, much more open ended world thanks to the greater disc capacity
- achievements

Vice

I want to see Metroid go in a new direction. I believe something like OoT meets Vanquish could work and have the feel of a Metroid game. A good combat engine but lots of room to explore, I wouldn't even mind a bit of linearity of it helped the gameplay.

Star Fox with an emphasis on online play. With lots of customization of your ship, like Chromehounds or Armored Core.

Tag team fighting in the next Smash Bros.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nirolak said:

On the main screen however, you can control your commander unit as if you were playing a third person shooter akin to something like Battlefield with a Valkyria like rendering style.

advance_wars_days_of_rq7wa.jpg
advance_wars_days_of_ro78p.jpg

Advance Wars, just like Pokémon, just feels right on a handheld.

Pappasman

Open world Zelda, exploring, optional dungeons, and items useful throughout the game, not just in dungeons. I liked the idea behind the great ocean in Wind Waker a lot.

Pokemon Stadium 3 with heavy online functionality and very customizable. I want to be able to pick a team, their moves, natures, and abilities (also EVs and IVs but that would probably never happen).

Nirolak said:

http://www.abload.de/img/advance_wars_days_of_rq7wa.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/advance_wars_days_of_ro78p.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

BWiii

yep. in a fucking heartbeat

Neiteio

I want a new F-Zero. Had they made one for Wii, it probably wouldn't have been that big an audiovisual jump over GX, which already pushed the GameCube to its limit. A powerful HD system, on the other hand, could provide the necessary leap -- 60 fps 1080p, ideally -- while improved online would allow racing at the global level, and the controller's integrated touchscreen could play nicely into track editing: simply drag and drop the pieces on the touchscreen, or straight-up draw the layout.

I would also love to see Ice Climber reimagined for Cafe. Imagine:

- Competitive co-op for up to four players (Popo, Nana and two all-new characters), like a vertically-oriented NSMB Wii
- Wildly inventive platforming; we're talking a DKC --> DKCR leap in interactive, dynamically changing environments
- Expand the world: not just snowy mountains, but clockwork ruins, a haunted monastery, an icebound volcano, etc, with new enemies like evil spirits, and obstacles like avalanches
- Teamwork tactics: In single-player, your AI partner will help you helicopter-spin across wide chasms using your mallets, or shoot up sheer vertical passages with your bungee cord; in two-player and four-player, players work together this way, and in three-player, two players work together while the third gets an AI partner
- Boss encounters: Now a fearsome beast waits at the top of each mountain, following which is the classic bonus stage where you gather the vegetables the condor stole
- Use the touchscreen: Players can separate by streaming the image to their touchscreen, though the iconic Polar Bear would still appear occasionally to force-scroll BOTH screens

I don't expect this to happen, of course, but it's fun to imagine someone like, say, Next Level Games (Punch-Out Wii) evolving this retro franchise. It launched with the NES and how cool would it be to see it happen on Cafe. :)

I'd like another Zelda in the style of Majora's Mask, using the extra memory and processing to expand on the "living town" concept of Clock Town, but adding in a few other towns that have the same concept. I really loved getting to know the ins and outs of that world, and doing so with more characters and environments sounds really fun.

Animal Crossing with a complete visual makeover and actually new mechanics on top of the base framework, as well as a larger "world" that you can inhabit. More customization for your house and the village in general.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I actually thought this would be like the other thread, but thankfully it isn't.

For now, I just want good games.

I want new 3DS and Cafe Mario Golf games with connectivity between the two and creatable characters in my handheld version that aren't Miis and are customizable!

I really, really, really just want Nintendo to go back to that idea of ConsolexHandheld connectivity. It was so fun for Mario Golf, but I'm sure it could be just as fun for lots of other games, too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nirolak said:

Easy. Before we get there, they need competent online for me to give two damns about what they're doing. No competent online, no reason for me to care about their slow downward spiral into not-caring-ville for me.

So, will the WiiWii use friend codes still? If yes, then it's failing out of the gate. If no, we're going to attempt to match PSN/XBL in terms of online in consoles: then let's go into the IP's:

-I want Mario to take a break. I know he's Nintendo's mascot and yes, he gets good games... but yearly releases or damn near it for him has given me brand/mascot fatigue.
-I want Zelda to do the same. Same reason.
-I want Pokemon to have a sit-down console version (since we're talking the WiiWii) along with a much easier and less stupid trading scheme. The GTS is a good idea, in theory, but in practice people want level 100 mews or crap trades (legendaries, namely) for common Pokemon you want to get fast. Revamping the GTS into a "Pokemon store"/you want this Pokemon? We only have it for a limited time and you need (such and such requirements) to get it!" would be a pretty nice trade-off than "Oh, you got a pidgey and want a starter (seems like a reasonable trade to me, but hell if I know)? Too bad! Give me a level 100 Mew for a starter Pokemon!"
-I want a goddamn Metroidvania. I don't give a damn if it's on the WiiWii or 3DS. JUST GIVE ME ONE DAMN IT. Or hire Chair to do it and name it Shadow Metroid, FFS. To go into this: I don't like the Metroid Prime series. Yes, they're great games, but I don't like them. So doing more of them or more in that style doesn't really appeal to me.
-Smash Brothers turns into a 2D fighting game a la the Capcom "vs" series. Hell, you can farm the IP/characters of Smash out and make the wanted Nintendo vs Capcom. Itprintsmoney.gif

Oh, yeah and:

-Get third parties on board but stop them from throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Sega attempted to do things like Conduit and Madworld, but they were fighting a losing battle because anyone that wanted third party efforts already got an HD twin when it became apparent that third parties weren't going to put in effort on the Wii. So those bombed. Nintendo has a reputation for not caring about third parties and that bites them in the ass when it comes to their consoles (IMO) being relevant to gaming.

If they do these, then I may consider the Wii 2. Otherwise I can't care. I got burned by poor third party efforts in 2007 to where I couldn't care about the third parties attempts after that point (along with getting an HDTV to where going back to SD Wii was very hard to do. Probably Nintendo's biggest mistake IMO "last gen") after investing in a Wii first when my gut was telling me to get a 360/PS3. Live and learn. :/

(Yes, I know this is about Nintendo IP's on the next console, but let me have my soapbox and bitching. Nintendo hasn't been relevant to me for a while because they can't seem to get what makes people go to MS/Sony.)

rpmurphy

I'd like Nintendo to expand their competitive multiplayer franchises (currently only being Mario Kart, Smash Bros., and sports games) to other genres and take full advantage of the online service. To be specific, I'd like to see Metroid and Star Fox to have their own multiplayer-only or -focused titles that are separate from the main single-player-focused titles to accomplish this. I don't think it's really necessary anymore, with the scope of games these days and the higher level of demand for meaty multiplayer modes, to mash in a competitive multiplayer mode into what are supposed to be enjoyed for the single-player campaign.

DR2K

Banned
Zelda is a series that needs an overhaul. I don't understand why the combat mechanics are so shallow and outdated. With Cafe coming out, Nintendo should focus on the overall quality of the game if they're trying to attract core gamers who play action/adventure games like NG, DMC, Bayonetta, GoW, etc. . . It can still retain everything Nintendo fans like about the series, but add something for gamers accustomed to more.

Mario is fine as is. Although a story book cartoon plot as shown in Sonic Colors wouldn't hurt. Make it skipable so us old farts can just play Mario in HD. Selecting worlds and stages should go though, make it more streamlined and cut out the monotonous level selecting. With Cafe it's possible to make an open world Mario game, so that's something to consider.

Metroid other M had the right idea, but had the execution of a direct to DVD movie. Team Ninja did a great job with the mechanics and visuals though. So lending franchises to other developers more experienced with HD would help. Another Metroid and Team Ninja collab would be great.

ferr

Nirolak said:
Haven't really batted an eye at the rumored controller design until now. This shit could be interesting. Not sure if it could be used much aside from 'pre-turn' type stuff like that, as staring at your controller during gameplay might be weird. But some quick input type of stuff might work, like casting a spell by drawing a star a la castlevania ds stuff.

A little OT but what would be the recommendation to someone who's never played any of the Advance/Battalion Wars games? Plot-wise, Days of Ruin seems pretty appealing.

Somnid

This is premature. I have to see what the system offers before I can say how I think it'd fit with what they have.

Rpgmonkey

I'd like to see a Zelda game with a stronger focus on physics and the surrounding environment for combat and puzzles, instead of it mainly using the things in your arsenal or some quirky object(s) in the room.

I liked little touches like throwing water jugs at lava causing a hard block to form.

Anth0ny

I want Super Smash Bros Cafe to play more like Super Smash Bros Melee, and have good online.

That is all I ask.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
shadyspace said:
A little OT but what would be the recommendation to someone who's never played any of the Advance/Battalion Wars games? Plot-wise, Days of Ruin seems pretty appealing.
Days of Ruin is the most balanced entry, but probably also the hardest.

A lot of the RPG-esque elements were removed so you couldn't just power up your commander's super move and then win the match.

It was a large tonal change from the earlier ones also.

But basically, if you want more RPG elements/an easier game/a light tone, go for Dual Strike, if you want more strategy elements/a harder game/a darker tone, go for Days of Ruin.

You can't really go wrong though, they're both great games.

Somnid said:
This is premature. I have to see what the system offers before I can say how I think it'd fit with what they have.
This is a fair point.

I'll definitely bump this again after the reveal, or if it gets too large, make a second thread titled "Now that we've seen the Cafe and what it can do, etc".

alphaNoid

Banned
Grow up, in a sense that certainly not all but a few of their mainstay games get gritty and more core. Nintendo doesn't have to always be about pastels and soft image. I dont want a new IP, I want something like a gothic zelda or something.

Demon Souls.. Zelda.

Top Bottom