• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you rate Phil Spencer as VP of Xbox so far?

How would you rate his work?

• Excellent

Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Good

Votes: 60 18.5%
  • Decent

Votes: 64 19.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 53 16.3%
  • Awful

Votes: 35 10.8%

• Total voters

renzolama

He made it so that I have no need whatsoever to buy an Xbox as a primarily PC player so that's a win in my book. Having all the consoles is a pain in the ass, so much cable management and controller organization.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

provide an example of this.

how about we wait until 2022 and see how your little prediction works out?

Lol how about we dont wait and whats been proven so far?

Theres like 2 exclusives announced for the next year so far..... Great job phil for launching a new console.
Why dont you go play those 360 games and X1 that werent for you because thats all you got for now lol

10/10

convinced me to ditch Playstation after 25 years.

i don't mean that as trolling. i'm deadly serious. i've owned every Playstation since 1995 and this is the first time I'll be getting an Xbox instead of Playstation. Xbox will have the exclusives that interest me, better backwards compatibility, better performance over PS5, the better controller, and Game Pass.

Xbox OG didn't interest me. all my friends had a 360 but wasnt for me. i laughed at the XB1 when it was released. but for the Series X? yeah i'm on board.

100% guaranteed you’ll eventually buy a PS5 in the future. If you were a PS fan for the past gens then you wont be able to ignore the quality exclusives the PS5 will have.

He got Microsoft Xbox Parent Company to fully support the Xbox Brand that why they just spend 7.5 billion on Bethesda to booster Xbox first party studios so i give Phil a 9 actually if not for Phil Xbox might have been cancel by Microsoft already.

Esca

I think he talks to much and with all the crap that comes out of his mouth it gets under a lot of people skin after a bit. The xsx launch is pathetic, he had the time to make sure they'd have games ready for launch, instead put all their eggs in 343i incapable hands.

I do think he has positioned Xbox for a better future even if i don't agree with the direction they are headed.

Crackdown 3 is a prime example of this.

Crackdown 3 was Don Mattricks project with a ton of money and contracts on it which is why Phil couldn't out right Cancel it when he got promoted in 2016. The fact the game ended up being decent and not a broken trainwreck is thanks t Phils management but the while idea and point of the games, which was to push cloud power, along with Forza 5's drivatars, was something that was always half-baked from the Mattrick era, this includes Qunatum Break as well which was part of thedying TV strategy Mattrick and associates were still clinging on to.

Phil Spencer is a double edged sword, no other way to frame him. He has made EVERY aspect of Xbox better, and I mean every aspect better than PlayStation with the exception of games.

They have the studios, they have the talent, there just needs to be execution. When they are able to do that there is literally no problem.

Rating:
- Average.

Reasons:
- Poor planning for this upcoming generation with no first party offerings and relying on enhanced current gen games to start off the gen.
- Publicly states he dislikes console wars yet the fat fuck that is Aaron Greenberg will go and make sure Phil loses all credibility of his claims every time he tweets.
- His ability to get rid of the above tub lard that is Aaron Greenberg.
- Also Spencer is linked to FUD campaigners like Colt Eastwood, TimDog and Dealer.

This last part is the big reason for me. I lose more and more respect for Xbox due to the constant console war stoking from their links with these twitter console warriors and its especially amazing that Spencer actually engages with these guys. This is the reason I will never rate him highly.

JimiNutz

Banned
Decent for me.

The good

-Big studio acquisitions
-Gamepass is great and will only get better
-Xbox Series X is a really nice piece of hardware and very affordable
-Backwards compatibility is great

The bad

-Exclusive software is still too infrequent and too often of mediocre quality
-Halo Infinite/343 is/are a disgrace. That game should have been ready at launch and looked incredible
-Still no VR support of any kind
-Xbox Series S is maybe a mistake

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I would give him a C- but only because D is probably two harsh for someone who commissioned two powerful consoles.

The problem is that his first party studios never did jack shit with those two powerful consoles. if it wasnt for RDR2, i literally wouldnt have beaten a single game on my x1x. I was dead set on buying an xsx after purchasing the x1 at launch. I am an idiot who buys consoles at launch because i like shiny new shit, but there is zero reason to buy an xsx. zero.

He's miserably failed the entire gen from the beginning of the gen in 2013 when he took over to today after the start of the new generation launching zero goty contenders. zero. in 7 years. these games dont even get nominated let alone win. i think sunset and titanfall are the only ones i would even consider as goty contenders but he had nothing to do with them. that was all don matrick.

and thats the thing, despite don launching a weak console at $499 with a focus on tv and kinect, he still had a somewhat decent lineup. I didnt touch that last gen trash GT6 on PS3 and bought forza 4 despite never even touching a forza game because it was actually next gen unlike gt6. ryse was awful, i hated playing it, but the graphics were stunning and i felt like i got my money's worth for this fancy new console. titanfall came out in the launch window and i loved it. sunset came out within a year, and I genuinely thought the MS got what makes console gaming special. exclusives. not just first party but third party as well.

but that was that. he cancelled fable, the original coalition game, scalebound, and spent the rest of the gen releasing mediocre gears, forza and halo games. and now we are looking at zero games in the next 2-3 years unless bethesda can get starfield out next year. even then, 1 game. 1.

no, he's failed at giving gamers games. consoles are a means to an end. they are the plate on which your food is served. you dont eat the fucking plate. and he simply doesnt get that.

Elias

The problem is that his first party studios never did jack shit with those two powerful consoles

Lie again, Forza Horizon 4, Gears4/5 definitely took full advantage of the system's hardware. You may not like those games but they are extremely technically impressive.

Wimbledon

He's done a decent job but what will make him great is...

+Save Halo and make it a powerhouse once again.
+Have a stable collection of first-party games outside of the ones we already know

I'm not asking for much I just want great to masterpiece level games! MS can buy as many studios as they want, have as many services across several platforms as they want. But you still need to make quality games at the end of the day. Make this new era of Xbox memorable and hopefully great for gaming.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
How can you not agree he's not done an excellent job. The man is literally at Sega's door with check in hand. It's happening next week Wednesday.

Sure he did some minor things.

GamePass
Increased the amount of studio's
Created a loving character named Craig
Brought some light to the debacle of Xbox One
Brought in Final Fantasy Se....ries not 7remake.
Made sure Todd Howard has a fully stocked fridge.

Made an Xbox fridge to keep the PS5 cool.

So many more things.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I think he's done an amazing job, and at the same time a disastrous one.

Before him, X-Box was the constant receiver of butt-end jokes and memes of the 'only Halo/Gears/Forza' console. Now he currently has MS owning twice the studios Sony has.

On the other hand, he - at the same time - made X-Box completely obsolete to anyone who does decent PC Gaming. No true exclusives at all. Everything an X-Box has, a PC has as well, and can do better.

Game Pass offers tremendous value for money, but at the same time has many gamers worried about the future quality of the first-party titles.

He gave X-Box gamers the chance to say 'You will never play a new Elder Scrolls ever again, bitch,' to Sony gamers, yet at the same time he launched a next-gen console without a single next-gen game.

So ... I don't know what to say about his current contribution to MS, other than 'He's being incredibly capable and incredibly incompetent at the same time'.

longdi

Banned
I think he's done an amazing job, and at the same time a disastrous one.

Before him, X-Box was the constant receiver of butt-end jokes and memes of the 'only Halo/Gears/Forza' console. Now he currently has MS owning twice the studios Sony has.

On the other hand, he - at the same time - made X-Box completely obsolete to anyone who does decent PC Gaming. No true exclusives at all. Everything an X-Box has, a PC has as well, and can do better.

Game Pass offers tremendous value for money, but at the same time has many gamers worried about the future quality of the first-party titles.

He gave X-Box gamers the chance to say 'You will never play a new Elder Scrolls ever again, bitch,' to Sony gamers, yet at the same time he launched a next-gen console without a single next-gen game.

So ... I don't know what to say about his current contribution to MS, other than 'He's being incredibly capable and incredibly incompetent at the same time'.

Xbox and PC are all under MS.
It doesnt matter no?

In fact, Phil goal is to reach as wide an audience as possible. This imo is the future for games distribution and enjoyment.
That's why some people may, understandably, have hestitations of Phil in what they see now, but the results and changes will sprout in the next 2 years. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Zuzu

I think he's been good in a lot of areas, but I would like to see him develop a bit more of an old fashioned competitive culture with regards to motivating his first parties to develop first party games that can take on the best from Sony and Nintendo. I'd like to see him or or his management team push the first parties to produce games that are at the top of their respective genres with an aim to compete with the best of the best in the industry. Sometimes I feel like the Microsoft culture is a little too friendly.

MastaKiiLA

Some strange metrics in this thread. His performance should be based on success of the business. That's revenue, profits, and marketshare. How has he performed in those areas during his tenure as VP?

Also, since he's VP, does that mean there's someone above him even more accountable for the performance of the business? Shouldn't they get the same or even more scrutiny? I'm not sure how to rate him. I just thought I'd comment on some strange measurements of success.

wolffy71

Banned
I say good. He's made some good moves with the 1x and xsx development. Good on acquiring more studios and removing the tv focus.

What im not fond of is the xbox one still getting exclusives. The gamepass strategy feels forced. And I'd like if exclusives were still mostly console based.
Why would you like it better if people on pc couldn't play xbox games? I dont get that thinking.

Nickolaidas

Xbox and PC are all under MS.
It doesnt matter no?

In fact, Phil goal is to reach as wide an audience as possible. This imo is the future for games distribution and enjoyment.
That's why some people may, understandably, have hestitations of Phil in what they see now, but the results and changes will sprout in the next 2 years. 🤷‍♀️
Yeeeaaah, I ... guess you are right. I mean, he only wants 15 bucks from me per month, he doesn't care whether I game on xbox or pc.

I'm just saying that he turned xbox from games console to 'a cheap pc which plays game pass games'. There is literally no real reason to get an xbox if you have a powerful pc, while there is a reason to buy a ps5* despite having the strongest pc in all the land.

*for now, at least

Kagey K

Banned
Terrible

he needed a multi billion dollar bailout to salvage their first party situation
If you look at the revenue growth charts since he became head, it has been significant, and that was all before that buyout.

No matter what we think of him, he definitely has investors confidence in a market they barely give a shit about.

Last edited:

Tschumi

.. look, he's had to make a ton of decisions and statements based off compensating for PS dominating the market.

He's been inflammatory, misleading, and used hyperbole only to be shown up ("[I feel good after the Sony reveal]" > Halo Infinite | TFLOPs omg > TFLOPs mean next to nothing | 4k60 gaming > no 4k60 games to date have looked better than last gen 1440p games) and thrown money around in a manner that is almost certainly going to bite him in the ass (after what happened with 343, there's surely a risk of Bethesda , who are already pretty iffy, getting really sidetracked...)

I find it hard to believe gamepass is as utopian as he presents it, i think it's going to be a mess of micro-transactions.

But the net result is he's got a portion of GAF users really intense about his system - and i assume some people outside of GAF - and you have to say that's a success. Xbox undoubtedly got more people to buy in to it on the back of his work than it might have had if they just slipped right into it from one x.

He's been fighting an insurgency, and you've gotta hand it to him - a brash, frat boy 'murican is a pretty good candidate to lead such a cocksure, if flawed, marketing campaign.

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
He completely rebuilt Xbox first party, convinced the higher ups to invest fully in Xbox with Game Pass, and prioritized power for next gen. He’s clearly failed when it comes to 343, but this mocking question of “where are the games?” is just stupid. This isn’t 5 years age where all Xbox had was 3-4 studios making Halo, Gears, Forza. There’s a bunch of games coming, Hellblade, Avowed, Fable, all of Bethesda’s games. And a lot of the stuff they’re making is new IP.

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
Yeeeaaah, I ... guess you are right. I mean, he only wants 15 bucks from me per month, he doesn't care whether I game on xbox or pc.

I'm just saying that he turned xbox from games console to 'a cheap pc which plays game pass games'. There is literally no real reason to get an xbox if you have a powerful pc, while there is a reason to buy a ps5* despite having the strongest pc in all the land.

*for now, at least
Did you miss the butthurt here and elsewhere on the Internet? Newsflash: Most people don’t have powerful PCs. Most PS owners only have a PS. Most PC players are on toasters or even fucking laptops. That’s why there’s so much coping about Bethesda. It wouldn’t be a problem if everyone on GAF had powerful PCs like they pretend they do.

Last edited:

arju

Neo Member
Phil Spencer need to resign. Someone need to step up . Slot of things he did prove he is not a leader anymore.

He approved halo showing at event with game not ready for public. If a good leader will not show this.

He approved the first event back then which bomb really hard. If he see the quality he will stop it . Refine it

xbox market share reducing compare to competitor

The new xbox showing keep on show old games after old games. We need show xsx gameplay .

Basically they going forward via game pass services.

cireza

Banned
Good but needs to get more support from Japan.

Green-lighting a console such as the Series S requires balls, I will admit that. And it is a great move.
His dedication to BC is also a fantastic thing.
And he has been improving relations with all publishers, including Japanese ones.
Excellent hardware.
And of course Game Pass.

So there are many good things that came from him, but there is still room for improvement in some topics.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
He's done phenomenal except in one spot.

He had years to get the launch of the Series X right, and it's more drought.

If you look at the revenue growth charts since he became head, it has been significant, and that was all before that buyout.

No matter what we think of him, he definitely has investors confidence in a market they barely give a shit about.

and what about what really matters, profit?

Top Bottom