• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's that XBox lightgun rifle & SS Complete?

Mau_Mau

Banned
Thinking about picking up that Pelican lightgun rifle & Silent Scope Complete via that deal at Fry's, but I couldn't really find a straight answer if the rifle really works well at all. It seems about 50/50 of sites either love or hate the lightgun rifle. I'm not that well versed in my gaming sites anymore, so I can't tell if the reviewers are being honest, or just fans of anything that says "Only For XBox" on it. Any info/help, please?

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
This is what went down with the whole Pelican Silent Scope Rifle fiasco:

The Silent Scope Rifle faced nondetection and calibration issues. This is was due to the fact that the cable used to link the rifle to the Xbox system was "short", causing older Xbox sytems failure to recognize the rifle, resulting in nonsatisfactory performance (especially with The House of the Dead 2 bonus game in The House of the Dead 3).

Pelican has since rectified this issue by revising and supplying a longer cable for ensurement of compatiblity with all makes of Xbox.

Older Silent Scope Rifles are still out there on the market, even though Pelican recalled them. You can identify the "version 2.0" rifles by a "star tag" on the front of the box that says "compatible with Silent Scope...and other light-gun games", or something of that nature. The revised models' box are also darker in color, with a different shade of yellow that bands around the contour of the packaging.

Fry's should only stock the "version 2.0" rifles by now. Make sure you observe your purchase before you buy to ensure correct, revised rifle acquirement.

The rifle itself is sorta big and ugly, but it has a detachable shoulder and barrel stock so you can use it with The House of the Dead 3 (becomes a "shotgun"). The "zoom" function works adequetely with the Silent Scope Complete game. It's the closest thing in bringing the Silent Scope arcade experience home.

Mau_Mau

Banned
Cool. Thanks for the info. Does the revised rifle still require you to play with the brightness level way up - or has that been fixed as well, or is a non-issue?

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Haven't heard of any problems of brightness-related issues regarding the newer batch of Silent Scope Rifles......but that doesn't mean that they won't crop up. Pelican probably fixed that issue as well, but to be on the safe side........save your receipt in case the rifle gives you flaky calibration issues. ^_^

BeOnEdge

Banned
its junk. i got it and luckily they let me return it. problem may be that i'm on projection sets but house of the dead 2 DC works fine so i thought i'd try it. the gun movement was choppy as all hell and i'd have to tunr the brightness WAY up for it to be even semi playable.

Top Bottom