• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hows your life going?

Monokrom

Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-10.gif

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I'm a big proponent of keeping things simple and humble. Admittedly, I have things pretty cozy these days. A better paying job, and a significant other who isn't some wacko lefty would do me wonders. Apart from that, life is chill.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Take a break from the internet bud. The real world hasn’t changed as much as you think. I get that it’s bleeding over a bit, but if you unplug for a minute, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks. That is good advice and I absolutely do need to spend less time online. However, it's the real world as well that is having an impact, especially my place of work.

Thanks. That is good advice and I absolutely do need to spend less time online. However, it's the real world as well that is having an impact, especially my place of work.
Yeah. I don’t know what you do, but there is always the option to change it. Nothing is that set in stone. I’m sure I can guess the kind of thing that’s getting to you. But for 90% of people feel the same way about that stuff as you do. That other 10% are either grifters or morons. Regardless, try not to let that kind of thing poison your outlook.

thief183

I used to be in the poerfect position I've always wanted to be.

I have an IT shop
I teach Tango Argentino in the evening
The income was good and the hours were not many.

Then the corona arrived, Tango is dead, my shop is facing huge problems after the corona boom.

I kinda lost hope and I'm starting to think to go back to be an employed.

Kids/wife are healthy, job is going well (outside of my sysadmin taking a new job thus requiring me to interview people... fml), building up my gun collection before Beijing Biden comes up with some crazy shit, and trying to clear my gaming backlog.

Only bad thing right now is my mom is dealing with large cell lung cancer (and they found spots in her brain as well). She's on "Tigresso" (sp?) which is an immunotherapy drug but it's attacking her bones and she can't move. I feel kind of helpless because (she lives with us) she doesn't ask for help and will literally go days without telling us she hasn't eaten or whatever. But I'll figure it out.

I used to be in the poerfect position I've always wanted to be.

I have an IT shop
I teach Tango Argentino in the evening
The income was good and the hours were not many.

Then the corona arrived, Tango is dead, my shop is facing huge problems after the corona boom.

I kinda lost hope and I'm starting to think to go back to be an employed.

I have an IT consulting company on the side but I just have too much going on in my life to handle running a business. Sometimes it's easier working for someone else.

Yeah. I don’t know what you do, but there is always the option to change it. Nothing is that set in stone. I’m sure I can guess the kind of thing that’s getting to you. But for 90% of people feel the same way about that stuff as you do. That other 10% are either grifters or morons. Regardless, try not to let that kind of thing poison your outlook.

To be fair he didn't really describe what about the world was changing and making him feel ostracized. I'd be hesitant to throw a 90% thing out there.

He could think the Earth is flat or that women belong in the kitchen, who knows.

Last edited:
Kids/wife are healthy, job is going well (outside of my sysadmin taking a new job thus requiring me to interview people... fml), building up my gun collection before Beijing Biden comes up with some crazy shit, and trying to clear my gaming backlog.

Only bad thing right now is my mom is dealing with large cell lung cancer (and they found spots in her brain as well). She's on "Tigresso" (sp?) which is an immunotherapy drug but it's attacking her bones and she can't move. I feel kind of helpless because (she lives with us) she doesn't ask for help and will literally go days without telling us she hasn't eaten or whatever. But I'll figure it out.

I have an IT consulting company on the side but I just have too much going on in my life to handle running a business. Sometimes it's easier working for someone else.

To be fair he didn't really describe what about the world was changing and making him feel ostracized. I'd be hesitant to throw a 90% thing out there.

He could think the Earth is flat or that women belong in the kitchen, who knows.
True enough. I am projecting a bit.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Well I've ...

-graduated from college
- have a job where I'm well respected, making about 70k a year
- gotten married. No kids.
- live in an affluent area
- save more money than I spend
- have hobbies and interest

But I still feel muted most of the time.

Collete

Confusing, least to say.
Been feeling a bit lost and not sure what to make of my life. It feels a bit hopeless.

Going through UX studying, which I'm hoping I'll be able to cement myself in getting a career.
That being said, I don't know if I'm going to find my happiness this way.
Time will tell.

RavageX

Life. It feels like a losing battle at the moment. It is, if you really think about it.

I am grateful for many things. I have a great woman who is able to put up with me. I have a job that has enabled me to not worry about bills or how I am going to make it week to week.

However, I feel as if I have just enough energy and the mental capacity to "just barely" make it every day. No energy for hobbies, or to enjoy things. My job is very social, and while I am good at it....I am not a social person. It wears me out.

I struggle to hold onto my interests...gaming is something that has been with me since my single digits but it feels so different now, or maybe I'm just more aware. Microtransactions, games that aren't finished...."Roadmaps" for games. I don't have that kind of time.

Just so tired mostly. I am exercising regularly, eating better...and have been for a while. Makes little difference though. Had a sleep study done and waiting for results. I wake up feeling more tired than I did going to sleep.

Suffered the loss of a parent earlier in the year, now I am without both. That has produced an emptiness that I can't seem to fully deal with. Messes with me very bad some days.

My idea of happiness is peace. A period of time where I am free of worries, free of being nagged by the outside world, free of people in general for a while, to try and enjoy hobbies...etc....but I can't seem to achieve this.

Having said all this, I am still grateful. I know things could be much, much worse.

NecrosaroIII

Confusing, least to say.
Been feeling a bit lost and not sure what to make of my life. It feels a bit hopeless.

Going through UX studying, which I'm hoping I'll be able to cement myself in getting a career.
That being said, I don't know if I'm going to find my happiness this way.
Time will tell.

What are you doing to study for UX? I have a friend in the field. He says those certificates and bookcases are useless

Collete

What are you doing to study for UX? I have a friend in the field. He says those certificates and bookcases are useless
I'm doing Coursera, I know the certificates are useless but the idea was to at least gain knowledge so I understand what I'm getting myself into and to build a portfolio. The certificates are more of an afterthought to me
Do you have another recommendation of trying to get into UX if this is not a good idea?

NecrosaroIII

I'm doing Coursera, I know the certificates are useless but the idea was to at least gain knowledge so I understand what I'm getting myself into and to build a portfolio. The certificates are more of an afterthought to me
Do you have another recommendation of trying to get into UX if this is not a good idea?

What was your undergrad? Grad school is always an option. My friend that went into UX majored in psychology and then in grad school majored in Human Factors. HF and UX aren't quite the same but there is a ton of overlap. Pretty much every one in their cohort ended up going UX for careers

Collete

What was your undergrad? Grad school is always an option. My friend that went into UX majored in psychology and then in grad school majored in Human Factors. HF and UX aren't quite the same but there is a ton of overlap. Pretty much every one in their cohort ended up going UX for careers
Had a Bachelor's in Psychology with emphasis in science. I don't know if Grad school is an option for me. From what I know from others, it seems what your experience is more important than a grad degree? I could be wrong.

NecrosaroIII

Had a Bachelor's in Psychology with emphasis in science. I don't know if Grad school is an option for me. From what I know from others, it seems what your experience is more important than a grad degree? I could be wrong.

That's always the case. But a good grad program will have research labs and stuff for you to work in to gain applied experience. My friends program was in conjunction with NASA to help build a new air traffic control system. Plus they often have relations with companies to get students jobs

Wunray

Guess I'm kinda stuck when it comes to my career, trying to get into IT but it's proven kinda hard with the need experience for the job but need the job for experience. Guess I have to get lucky and get in contact with the right person. Can't keep stacking certs (cause that's what I have been doing during covid lockdown), so now I guess I just have to get lucky.

Top Bottom