• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HQ Fatal Frame: The Black Haired Shrine Maiden (Wii U) screens

extralite

I think "The Raven Haired Shrine Maiden" would be a better title. Nuregarasu is a very lyrical way to express the notion of black hair, comparing it to a wet raven. Saying black haired isn't wrong but it's awfully plain compared to the Japanese. Raven haired means the right thing and keeps the comparison with the bird feathers.

That's always been my main complaint with the series, to be honest. The characters are always ridiculous looking and not really fitting for a horror game. The rest of the visuals are typically great, though.

I have nothing against the style of the faces, but the outfits seem to get worse with each iteration.

Shinta

Banned
I think "The Raven Haired Shrine Maiden" would be a better title. Nuregarasu is a very lyrical way to express the notion of black hair, comparing it to a wet raven. Saying black haired isn't wrong but it's awfully plain compared to the Japanese. Raven haired means the right thing and keeps the comparison with the bird feathers.

I like it!

TnK

Which Fatal Frame games are translated? 1-3 only correct? I think 4 has a fan translation somewhere out there?

Semajer

Which Fatal Frame games are translated? 1-3 only correct? I think 4 has a fan translation somewhere out there?

1 on PS2/PSN, with an Xbox up-port.
2 on PS2/PSN, with an Xbox up-port.
3 on PS3/PSN.
4 on Wii has an easy to apply fan translation.
Spirit Camera on 3DS.
2 Remake on Wii, only in Europe, but it's easy to play on any console region with homebrew.

TnK

1 on PS2/PSN, with an Xbox up-port.
2 on PS2/PSN, with an Xbox up-port.
3 on PS3/PSN.
4 on Wii has an easy to apply fan translation.
Spirit Camera on 3DS.
2 Remake on Wii, only in Europe, but it's easy to play on any console region with homebrew.
Thanks. Which are the best games in the series? I know that 2 is really good, but what about the others?

chrono01

Thanks. Which are the best games in the series? I know that 2 is really good, but what about the others?
All of them are worth playing, IMO. Well, aside from Spirit Camera. That one you could maybe purchase for the novelty or if you're a massive fan.

It still bothers me that we didn't get Fatal Frame 4 in NA. Hopefully we get this installment...

I never played a Fatal Frame game, but I do want this. Character models look beautiful + amazing.

Is there any chance this is going to be localized?

Semajer

Apparently I'm the only one that though that two was lame an incredibly unscary.

I think the FF1 is by far the scariest.
Followed by FF3.
Closely followed by FF4, which I think has the scariest single room in any game.
Then FF2R, which in terms of horror I found better than the original.
Then FF2.
Spirit Camera is a tiny spin-off, which is seemingly only a proof of concept for motion controlled camera, which I hope will be in FF5. It's not too bad, but it's short, and you need to play in a well lit room.

Edit: But if you're going to play them all, make sure you play FF1 and FF2 before FF3.

I never played a Fatal Frame game, but I do want this. Character models look beautiful + amazing.

Is there any chance this is going to be localized?

Thats the big question. The first three games were localized on PS2, then the 4th that came on wii never got translated officially (the mod scene took care of that pretty quick though). Then a 3DS game with the moniker came out here as well.

I would imagine it would be localized but given how the 4th was skipped I really wonder.

Either way it looks like more awesome Fatal Frame. The graphics did look randomly bad though. Same very flat, boxy textures from the PS2 era seemed to make it in. Then again I doubt this was a high priority game... but still... could be better. The actual moving game play looked nice though.

Nemesis_

Apparently I'm the only one that though that two was lame an incredibly unscary.

Followed by FF3.
Closely followed by FF4, which I think has the scariest single room in any game.
Then FF2.
Spirit Camera is a tiny spin-off, which is seemingly only a proof of concept for motion controlled camera, which I hope will be in FF5. It's not too bad, but it's short, and you need to play in a well lit room.

Edit: But if you're going to play them all, make sure you play FF1 and FF2 before FF3.

The first game was the scariest for me but that might be because it was a new experience. The second had the same feelings for me but overall it had less of an effect on me as I'd kind of seen it all before, if that makes sense.

But yeah, definitely the original trilogy at least. The fourth game is great too but a little harder to get into and a lot of things need to be considered to get through it without running into a game breaking glitch, which is unfortunate.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think Fatal Frame 1 is scarier and harder than Fatal Frame 2, but I think Fatal Frame 2 is the better game and has much better story/ghosts/location/combat, and even enjoyed the atmosphere more than the first game.

I think one flaw with Fatal Frame 2 is how easy it is (I beat the game for the first time with over 40 medical herbs leftover, no joke).

casiopao

My experience would say 2 is the best followed by 4 then 3 then 1 then spirit camera.

1 maybe scarier but it looks dated a lot now while 4 is easily my personal favorite if only not for the stupid glitch and game breaking bug, I would have said it is even better than 2.

AnnTiPa

I wonder if we're finally getting proper shadows for the flashlight. Not having any annoyed me to no end in Fatal Frame 4. It looks like those dolls are casting shadows but there should have been some visible shadows in the forest in the video.

K.Sabot

Localize game, give it to Pewdiepie, Markiplier, other dumb but popular youtubers.

Bam there's all the advertising you need, Nintendo of America.

Nemesis_

I think the final boss battles in both the second and third games were broken as fuck though.

The second game had one hit kills, huge spike in difficulty (ie. how to deal damage to it), regenerating health and a ridiculously long walk from the last save point to the actual encounter itself.

The third game has this ridiculous mode where you basically had to choose a direction to run in and if by luck you picked the right one you survived, but if you didn't you'd die straight away.

Both bosses circumvent the stone mirror items which were meant to be your kind of "safety net" of any death.

Dantis

Looks great, even if the protagonist looks like a pop star.

I think the final boss battles in both the second and third games were broken as fuck though.

The second game had one hit kills, huge spike in difficulty (ie. how to deal damage to it), regenerating health and a ridiculously long walk from the last save point to the actual encounter itself.

The third game has this ridiculous mode where you basically had to choose a direction to run in and if by luck you picked the right one you survived, but if you didn't you'd die straight away.

Both bosses circumvent the stone mirror items which were meant to be your kind of "safety net" of any death.

This was the worst part, by far. Having to run down that tunnel and fight like ten Mourners on the way was really frustrating.

Also, did the Kusabi have one hit kills? I actually thought he didn't when you fought him...

RagnarokX

I dunno. Raven hair is still be too plain. Raven is a fairly common description of hair color. Someone said it doesn't translate directly to english and references crow tengus (spirits). And the shrine maiden is wearing some kind of crow headdress. It wouldn't make sense to just describe her hair color.

I think it would localize more as something like "Maiden of the Crows" or "Crow Maiden"

TnK

All of them are worth playing, IMO. Well, aside from Spirit Camera. That one you could maybe purchase for the novelty or if you're a massive fan.

It still bothers me that we didn't get Fatal Frame 4 in NA. Hopefully we get this installment...

Followed by FF3.
Then FF2.

Guess I will go through the games at some point. I own the original three games, and did so for a very long time now, but never played them. I started 1, and loved it a lot.

Fatal Frame - Wet Maidens
You should be ashamed for this. Ashamed!

still made me giggle breh

Daffy Duck

This looks amazing!

If they localize this game I will buy a Wii U.

However, I need to play the original games. I hear they're pretty good.

TnK

My experience would say 2 is the best followed by 4 then 3 then 1 then spirit camera.

1 maybe scarier but it looks dated a lot now while 4 is easily my personal favorite if only not for the stupid glitch and game breaking bug, I would have said it is even better than 2.
What game breaking glitch?

Dascu

What game breaking glitch?

You could get stuck if you did a certain thing and saved out of the intended order. It's easy to avoid. IIRC you're just not supposed to enter some room before having done something else.

Why are they dressed up like pop idols in a place like that?

To make Raven Maiden senpai notice me.

OHBHWi.gif

Fady K

Looks pretty awesome!

I'll wait for the game to come out, and in English too, before I judge though.

I remember Fatal Frame 4 looked better than I expected only for it to look barely better than Fatal Frame 3 on the PS2. What's with the girl's overly large hands though, the one on the right? They look so weird.

Dascu

I liked FF4 more than 2. Cooler locations and atmosphere. I love the final bit in the
lighthouse
with this playing.

Fady K

I liked FF4 more than 2. Cooler locations and atmosphere. I love the final bit in the
lighthouse
with this playing.

That was one of the few segments that stood out for me in the game in comparison to the rest of the series. Great segment indeed.

You know, I loved the original Fatal Frame, what I played of it. I always wanted to play the second, third, and fourth games, too. And this looks great. And I like the Japanese setting.

But I'm a little tired of the Japanese horror tropes. I think I could go the rest of my life without seeing another "creepy little girl" in something like this game.

Eh... will play anyway.

Top Bottom