• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HRAA - Hybrid Reconstruction Anti-Aliasing presentation from SIGGRAPH 2014 available

Durante

That was incredibly interesting, thank you. The use of only a single color sample and many coverage samples together with neighborhood information to reconstruct edges is awesome. And I had never seen the FLIPQUAD sampling pattern before.

_machine

How does the 1.4 ms statistic compare to other solutions? Anyone have the numbers on hand?
I think it's just a bit slower than FXAA which I remember being from around 0.8 to something like 1.3ms in 1080p, but that's just what I remember out of the top of my head. But in any case the difference shouldn't be huge so if it works well and they end up releasing the whole codebase then I could see this becoming popular which would great as most games in the future will use a Post Processing AA technique due to the rise of deferred renderers.

I'm loving the advancements of post-processing antialiasing. There shouldn't be an excuse for a game to release with zero AA these days, especially with decently efficient post-processing methods being so cheap.

Durante

This isn't really post-processing AA though, it's a hybrid solution of hardware sampling, postprocessing, temporal and analysis. It's very neat.

I do like that at least some people are thinking about and working on this now, rather than slapping FXAA on and calling it good enough.

KKRT00

So its SMAA + TAA plus their recostruction pass TFQ and some hardware CRAA pass.
I need to read in home carefully, seems quite neat and cheap.

This isn't really post-processing AA though, it's a hybrid solution of hardware sampling, postprocessing, temporal and analysis. It's very neat.

I do like that at least some people are thinking about and working on this now, rather than slapping FXAA on and calling it good enough.

What about TXAA? Is HRAA worse or better?

txaa-comparo.png

dr_rus

One problem I see here is NVIDIA's drop of support for CSAA in Maxwell and beyond. This AA seems to be based on CS access from shaders which a) only GCN provides right now it seems and b) is completely missing in Maxwell+ alongside CSAA itself.

Top Bottom